Grenier

sheep
10-04-2003, 02:41 PM
I wonder with the loss of Langdon, if the Canucks would use Grenier on the wing as an enforcer, or is his potential to be a good d-man not worth tampering with?

IceMelter
10-04-2003, 03:07 PM
He could, I would be cautious in doing so though.

Could be like a Strudwick situation where they dress 11 forwards and 7 defense.

Mr. Canucklehead
10-04-2003, 03:21 PM
I'd like them to get Struds back...he was more useful than any of the fans gave him credit for, a major unsung hero and a popular player. However, I've been standing by Brad May all day long. He's more then capable of carrying the enforcer title for Vancouver, especially given the fact that the days of the part-time enforcer who plays 5 minutes a night are coming to an end. These days you have to be useful in other categories aside from fisticuffs--like May, Laraque, Roy, Brashear, and Domi to name a few. Brad May can hold his own and win fights and hold other teams accountable. I'm not at all worried about our enforcer situation.

~Canucklehead~

incawg
10-04-2003, 03:29 PM
However, I've been standing by Brad May all day long. He's more then capable of carrying the enforcer title for Vancouver, especially given the fact that the days of the part-time enforcer who plays 5 minutes a night are coming to an end. These days you have to be useful in other categories aside from fisticuffs--like May, Laraque, Roy, Brashear, and Domi to name a few. Brad May can hold his own and win fights and hold other teams accountable. I'm not at all worried about our enforcer situation.

~Canucklehead~

I tend to agree with this. At the same time, Grenier showed that he wasn't completely useless as well. Heck, if there are games when we need a "5 minute" enforcer just call him up and put him on the wing. (I'm not talking about permanently changing him to a winger a la zenith btw) For the vast majority of games we should be fine with the likes of May, Ruutu, and even Allen.

maruk14
10-04-2003, 03:31 PM
I'm not either. If it looks like we need a heavyweight Burke can get one. I would rather see how it looks with just May and if it becomes an issue you give Grenier a shot. Moving him up to forward would be ideal.

monster_bertuzzi
10-04-2003, 05:33 PM
If you guys seriously think May can handle the true heavyweights in the league....take a look at the fight he had in his first game with Reed Lowe last year.

incawg
10-04-2003, 05:37 PM
If you guys seriously think May can handle the true heavyweights in the league....take a look at the fight he had in his first game with Reed Lowe last year.

Although I do think that May is not in the same league as the top heavyweight's, that's not a very fair example. The Lowe incident occurred at the end of a long shift and May was "forced" to fight.

Peter Griffin
10-04-2003, 05:47 PM
I'd like them to get Struds back...he was more useful than any of the fans gave him credit for, a major unsung hero and a popular player. However, I've been standing by Brad May all day long. He's more then capable of carrying the enforcer title for Vancouver, especially given the fact that the days of the part-time enforcer who plays 5 minutes a night are coming to an end. These days you have to be useful in other categories aside from fisticuffs--like May, Laraque, Roy, Brashear, and Domi to name a few. Brad May can hold his own and win fights and hold other teams accountable. I'm not at all worried about our enforcer situation.

~Canucklehead~

Agreed 100%. The Canucks can't afford to utilize a roster spot on a guy that can only be counted on to be an enforcer. May was brought in because he provides toughness and can play a regular shift and around 10 min/game in all situations. He's not as good of a fighter as Langdon, but he's a lot more useful for the Canucks. The Red Wings have been using a similar player in McCarty as their "enforcer" and have been fine. If the Canucks need some added muscle, I Grenier can be brought up and the Canucks can us an 11F, 7D system like KillerWhale mentioned.

maruk14
10-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Although I do think that May is not in the same league as the top heavyweight's, that's not a very fair example. The Lowe incident occurred at the end of a long shift and May was "forced" to fight.

After he had already fought Salvador and was at the end of a long shift. I remember that fight distinctly because Quenville threw Lowe over the boards after the Blues had us hemmed in our own zone and Lowe skated directly at May. Even though May was tired and had already fought, he obliged him. May will serve fine as our enforcer this year. Unless he gets hurt I see no reason to pick up another fighter.

ehc73
10-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Allen, aside from Grenier(who is Burke's pick for enforcer), has shown willingness to drop the gloves. Heck, he's gone and tackled a few guys before mixing it up.

monster_bertuzzi
10-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Allen, aside from Grenier(who is Burke's pick for enforcer), has shown willingness to drop the gloves. Heck, he's gone and tackled a few guys before mixing it up.

If you get beat up by Gordie Dwyer, which Allen did, then you have no business fighting.

incawg
10-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Has Allen EVER won a fight? You gotta love his willingness to drop em with anybody (even laraque) but he is one lously fighter. He should have gotten Langdon to mentor him or something.

colonel_korn
10-04-2003, 10:59 PM
Has Allen EVER won a fight? You gotta love his willingness to drop em with anybody (even laraque) but he is one lously fighter. He should have gotten Langdon to mentor him or something.

Hey now, let's not say things we can't take back. He DID beat up Clark Wilm last year. :joker:

Seriously though, Allen is a punching bag. He pretty much seems to just grab on to the other guy and hope he doesn't get punched. Still though, I do give him credit for having the guts to stick up for the other guys. He must know he's not a great fighter too.