Lou's next big move - your prediction

NJDevils#4
10-04-2003, 03:40 PM
What do you think will be Lou's next big move? Do you think it will be in acquiring a big 1st line Center? Will it be a big winger or maybe another speedster? Yet another grinder? Will he surprise us and go for youth? What do you think?

My pick is that Lou will look at Keith Primeau. He will likely be shooting for a guy similar to him. I hope at least. If we keep winning though Lou won't do a damn thing.

Anyway it's Lou so he is unpredictable.

What are your thoughts/picks?

Unthinkable
10-04-2003, 03:46 PM
We have a serious need for a legitimate 1st line center with size and faceoff skills as well as more scoring punch on the wing. Scott Gomez could fetch us a pretty good goal scorer right now if Lou decides to be patient with Patrik Elias for a bit longer. Martin Havlat would make me a very happy Devils fan. Mach 9 and Jeff Friesen on the same line would be a lethal dose of speed and scoring from both sides.

NJDevils#4
10-04-2003, 03:47 PM
I literally would have a stiffy if Lou snagged Havlat. Sorry, but i would. hahaha.

Missionhockey
10-04-2003, 03:50 PM
I literally would have a stiffy if Lou snagged Havlat. Sorry, but i would. hahaha.

So would I, but Lou doesn't work miracles.

NJDevils#4
10-04-2003, 03:50 PM
You have to think with all these grinders, and so many young guys ready to come up, you just gotta think a deal is pending right? Then again we all thought that with an overload of PP d-men in Tvo, Rafi and Nieds.

I would love Lou if he got Gaborik, Comrie or Havlat. That would be unreal. I would go out and buy any one of their jerseys.

John Flyers Fan
10-04-2003, 03:54 PM
My pick is that Lou will look at Keith Primeau. He will likely be shooting for a guy similar to him. I hope at least. If we keep winning though Lou won't do a damn thing.

Anyway it's Lou so he is unpredictable.

What are your thoughts/picks?

No chance that the Flyers will deal Primeau to the Devils. Lou would have to seriously overpay to get him.

DevilFisch
10-04-2003, 03:55 PM
The Devils most clearly need a #1 center, someone who can win faceoffs and contribute on offense in all factors.

That being said, I think Lou will make a deal for, say, Mike Johnson.

NJDevils#4
10-04-2003, 03:56 PM
No chance that the Flyers will deal Primeau to the Devils. Lou would have to seriously overpay to get him.

Yea you're probably right. I was kinda hoping he'd go after someone similar to him though, but he seems prototypical kinda player we need now. If we have to overpay, forget it then.

Missionhockey
10-04-2003, 03:56 PM

I think he meant a player similar to him, not him in particular. Lou doesn't do deals within the conference much less the same division

Niedermayer21
10-04-2003, 06:13 PM
I heard Lou is actively pursuing Phil Esposito. :joker:
Think I'm kidding??? ;)

DevilFisch
10-04-2003, 06:18 PM
I heard Lou is actively persuing Phil Esposito. :joker:
Think I'm kidding??? ;)

Phil Esposito!? No way! I thought Lou was trying to make a deal for Gilbert Perreault!

Unthinkable
10-04-2003, 06:40 PM
I heard Lou is actively persuing Phil Esposito. :joker:
Think I'm kidding??? ;)

Your idea to bring in Adam Oates for short money is sounding better and better by the day. Anyone have his cell phone number?

meehan
10-04-2003, 07:45 PM

Primeau is the one big center in the league I want absolutely no part of. He's pretty much been a loser his whole career. He leaves Detroit, they win the cup. He leaves Carolina, they go to the finals. When he leaves Philly they too will win the cup......err scratch that as that won't ever happen; but you get my point.

JimEIV
10-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Even more than Center I really don't like the Devils at RW.

RW: Langenbrunner, Marshall, Gionta, Stevenson

C: Gomez, Madden, Larionov, Rupp, Rasmusen

From the looks of that to me the Center position is way stronger the RW.

In my opinion the greater needs are:

1. Right Wing 1a/2. 5th Defensmen 3. an Enforcer 4. Faceoff winning Centermen

In 1995 the Dev's got by with the Strength of thier wings. They never really had a number #1 center ( Broten and Carpenter were hardly top notch centermen). Last years team and this years are very simuliar in that regard.

Having 4 good wingers on your 1 and 2 lines; Elias and Friesen on the Left and Langenbrunner and somebody else on the right makes the lack of the center easier to deal with.

Devils Unseen Hand
10-04-2003, 10:51 PM
I'm still surprised that Lou took Igor over Adam Oates. Who in my opinion...would have been more beneficial to the Devils. Especially on face-offs.

Overall, 3 things need to happen this season:

Stevenson needs to be healthy. End of sentence. By far, the most expendable player on the team.

Gomez needs to pick up his game. If Foster can continue to stay healthy and play well in Albany and Gomer's numbers stay stagnate, he would make a nice trade piece come the deadline.

Elias in my mind...needs to play with more passion. He has to pick up his game. If he plays in the regular season like he's playing now in the preseason, I'd send him packing with one/both of the above players and make a blockbuster trade for a marquee player or a fill a void and grab some draft picks for next season.

We had a good number of players step up to the challenge in training camp (Pihlman, Suglobov, Pikkarainen, Foster, Berglund, Bicek) to have any slackers or "content" players on the team.

Thus, Stevenson, Gomez and Elias are the three to watch for possible trades this year.

Voice of Reason
10-05-2003, 02:30 AM
I agree with the RW post. Lou has still yet to adequately replace AlMo after all this time. A RW sniper is key to take pressure off the 1st line (ie Elias) to carry the load.

That being said, a bonafide #1 C wouldn't suck either. Oates can still come here. This is a traditional Lou tactic: wait until the season is about to start to make a move. Guys are dying to play (we hope in Oates' case) and may take less $$ just to do so.

Niedermayer21
10-05-2003, 02:42 AM
I would love for Lou to sign Oates. But let's give Larionov a chance first.
Also, I think that Suglobov could be our sniper come Christmas-time. Just give him some time in Albany to get used to the NHL style of play and he could be awesome.

Elias--Larionov--Suglobov
Friesen--Gomez--Langenbrunner
Pandolfo--Madden--Marshall/Gionta
Brylin--Rupp--Gionta/Marshall
Rasmussen, Bicek, Berglund, Stevenson?

Not a bad group of forwards. Lou could package Stevenson and Bicek with Adrian Foster and possibly get a Mike Comrie, or someone along those lines. Now who has a big and talented center they want to get rid of?

Oh yeah, Joe Thornton! :D

Unthinkable
10-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Oh yeah, Joe Thornton! :D

You wont believe the oversized Elvis sideburns he's sporting this year. Holy smokes. He's taking in the Red Sox game against Oakland right now at Fenway Park. Those things need to be ditched faster then the lame local chants of "Cowboy Up" :joker:

Unthinkable
10-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Even more than Center I really don't like the Devils at RW.

RW: Langenbrunner, Marshall, Gionta, Stevenson

C: Gomez, Madden, Larionov, Rupp, Rasmusen

From the looks of that to me the Center position is way stronger the RW.

In my opinion the greater needs are:

1. Right Wing 1a/2. 5th Defensmen 3. an Enforcer 4. Faceoff winning Centermen

In 1995 the Dev's got by with the Strength of thier wings. They never really had a number #1 center ( Broten and Carpenter were hardly top notch centermen). Last years team and this years are very simuliar in that regard.

Having 4 good wingers on your 1 and 2 lines; Elias and Friesen on the Left and Langenbrunner and somebody else on the right makes the lack of the center easier to deal with.

Well said Jim. We still have a long ways to go in coming anywhere close to competing with the incredible depth and strength Ottawa has running on the right side even with Havlat as a holdout. Should be this teams top priority right now imo. Marshall, Gionta, and Stevenson won't bring much in terms of goal scoring unless things radically change.

Unthinkable
10-05-2003, 09:52 AM
I'm still surprised that Lou took Igor over Adam Oates. Who in my opinion...would have been more beneficial to the Devils. Especially on face-offs.

I think its a safe assumption on our part that Adam Oates is still adamant about not dropping his salary to the level other players in his situation have done just to continue playing. He has a healthy opinion of himself and probably would have a difficult time swallowing his pride to this degree. Retirement will probably be the easier road for him to take knowing full well he still has the skills to compete in this league and his services would be quite valuable to most teams without having to take such a huge salary cut in the process.

Thus, Stevenson, Gomez and Elias are the three to watch for possible trades this year.

I can see Brian Gionta also being traded this season despite everything solid he brings in the form of hustle, work ethic, attitude, battling in the corners etc... Much as I love watching him work his ass night after night, he could easily wind up on the list of guys moved to shore up more pressing team weaknesses here. Should be a healthy market for a guy with his intangibles despite his lack of size.

Tao Jones
10-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Rob Ray and Steve Thomas are still available.:p

edit: I forgot Dan Bylsma.:rolleyes:

Tao Jones
10-05-2003, 12:48 PM
I don't see Lou getting involved with any holdouts, but if he did, I wouldn't mind giving Dupuis a shot. I think he would flourish under Burns.He could open up the crease for less cash and miles than Primeau. I am not sure who I would give up for him.

Tbg1515
10-05-2003, 03:38 PM
I think that LOU will go after a big center, such as Chris Gratton, or maybe a guy like Jan Hrdina

or

He will go after a sniper such as Havlat he could be a perfect fit with Elias and Gomer/Rupp

NJDevils#4
10-05-2003, 03:40 PM
I think that LOU will go after a big center, such as Chris Gratton, or maybe a guy like Jan Hrdina

or

He will go after a sniper such as Havlat he could be a perfect fit with Elias and Gomer/Rupp

Cue Svieglar.... :joker:

Vanya
10-05-2003, 04:36 PM
If a trade centering around Comrie and Gomez was discussed, who/what would have to be added to make it equitable? I would love to see Comrie in black and red...

BigBully4
10-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Lou's biggest thing is that he looks for "character guys." Think of the players that have worn out their welcome with the Devils, and you can see the type of guys Lou signs or deals for.

With that said, you won't see Gratton (thank God). Or Primeau. And really, do you think we have a shot at Havlat? Come on.

The best Lou will do is see how Gomer, Elias, and some d-men are doing by Christmas. He won't look at how Philly is doing, or whether the Rangers are in the hunt. He will only focus on Jersey, as he's always done. If guys are not living up to their end of the bargain and another player on another team fits the Devils mold, Lou will get him. Look at Langenbrunner. This guy is the typical Devils forward. Arnott is (was) not. The future of this team will be built on guys like Jamie, Mad Dog, Pandolfo, Hale, Martin, Brodeur, and Nieds. Gomez could be in that category, but he needs to step it up. As does Elias.

Let's not go giving the Cup to Ottawa just yet. We beat them last year, and who's to say we couldn't do it again? Despite our pitiful preseason, I think Jersey will come out and do what they always do: win. That's good enough for me. Score more than the other team. That's it.

Missionhockey
10-05-2003, 05:46 PM
I think we should try Langenbrunner with the top line. He has the hardest shot on the team and if we put him with those two we could be looking at a 60 point season out of him. I can't wait till Suglobov is ready for primetime. He seems like the perfect fit for Elias.

Missionhockey
10-05-2003, 05:58 PM
The one time I did see Foster play, I wasn't impressed. Yes he has a sore whatever, an injury lets put it at that, but he didn't show me anything that made him stand out. He needs more time in the AHL than some of their other prospects IMO.

Niedermayer21
10-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Our right side won't be so bad if Gionta can pop in 20+ goals and Suglobov develops enough to be ready for the "show" by early next year.

Pihlman can also play the right side, I'm sure, and who knows about Balmochnykh??? :dunno: And Grant Marshall has more skill than you think. Berglund should be given a shot at right wing on the top line until he proves he doesn't belong, which might not happen. Bergs has some moves and he just might fit in well with Larionov and Elias.

Elias--Larionov--Berglund/Bicek
Friesen--Gomez--Langenbrunner
Pandolfo--Madden--Gionta/Marshall
Brylin--Rupp/Rasmussen--Marshall/Gionta

I'd like to see these lines for a month or so before we start making any moves. Keep Turner Stevenson on the IR until he is 100% healthy. And let us hope that everyone stays healthy for that month or more, especially Larionov! Igor should play at least 65 games at regular strength and on the PP. Rasmussen can give him a breather towards the end of the season, along with Foster and maybe even Sergei Brylin.

No need to trade Elias or Gomez. Everyone wanted to trade Scott Niedermayer early on last season. Just relax and enjoy, okay? Let Lou and Burns worry. We have a good product. It should be a fun season. No need to panic. At least not yet! ;)

sveiglar
10-06-2003, 06:05 AM
I think a Mike Johnson (logjam at F in PHX) or a Steve Thomas (UFA) type is the kind of pickup you'll see. Of course, just when you say that, Lou lands a big-name player.

As said before, if it's a trade, it'll be outside the conference.

sveiglar
10-06-2003, 06:07 AM
Cue Svieglar.... :joker:

Muwhahahahaha!!!

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

NJDevils#4
10-07-2003, 05:52 PM
The Gratton thing. That was you right? Or was it PEli. Damnet I forget.

Unthinkable
10-07-2003, 06:09 PM
The Gratton thing. That was you right? Or was it PEli. Damnet I forget.

Its Sveiglar. He was unable to refer to CG by name in the Yahoo! Fantasy Hockey Draft a week ago and the subject of several jokes! People were guessing which player he was referring to save for the regulars. Sveigs was talking in tongues.

sveiglar
10-08-2003, 03:18 AM
Its Sveiglar. He was unable to refer to CG by name in the Yahoo! Fantasy Hockey Draft a week ago and the subject of several jokes! People were guessing which player he was referring to save for the regulars. Sveigs was talking in tongues.

Actually someone else started calling him G*****n. Funny stuff.

Mike#16*
10-08-2003, 04:28 AM
Lou should snag Gaborik and ship the 5 first rounders to Minnie.

sveiglar
10-08-2003, 04:30 AM
Lou should snag Gaborik and ship the 5 first rounders to Minnie.

Wouldn't that be sweet! Of course, there's no way Minny refuses to match any RFA offer...

I believe that the best word to describe Lou's next move will be underwhelming.

Mike#16*
10-08-2003, 06:12 AM
I would never do that, I know our scouting is great and all but I love draft day, I don't know what I would do for the next 5 years without a pick on tv.

That's exactly my point! with such a scouting you can get quality players also in later rounds! If you look at the current roster, only Marty, Neids and Gomer were Devils first round picks all other were second round or later picks (Sarge, Patty, Pando, Whitey, Berglund, etc) or even not drafted (Mad Dog, Raffi).

So, loosing the five first rounder would not even hurt that bad when you can get a franchise player like gaborik in return. This kid is 21 only and would fit the Devils perfectly!

Mike#16*
10-08-2003, 06:27 AM
We don't know what Hale, Parise, Foster and Ahonen will be though, they may end up being stars in the NHL for all I know.

Point taken but Gaborik is a star already

NJDevils#4
10-08-2003, 06:36 AM
Lou would never deal 5 first rounders for Gaborik. Its just not his style. He'll never put all his eggs in one basket, and thats why he's the best GM in professional sports. Conservative, smart, defensive hockey. We don't need Gaborik THAT badly.