A quick idea...

PhoPhan
10-05-2003, 10:02 AM
Well, the Blue Jackets waived Knutsen, and the Panthers have waived Denis Shvidki, and traded for Steve Shields. This (to me) means there is a) room on the Bruins for Burke (since Potvin has played miserably in the preseason) and b) there is a talented player on the market for the taking.

Why don't the Coyotes try this:

Trade Burke and Gratton to Boston for let's say Sergei Zinovjev, Shaone Morrisonn and a 1st rounder. Boston might be interested in Burke again due to Potvin's lackluster play, and it is well known they need another center.

Then the Coyotes could fill Gratton's spot with either Denis Shvidki, Jeff Taffe or Espen Knutsen, depending on their preference.

As far as Shvidki, he is:

6'2, 210 (big enough)
Drafted 12th overall (1st rounder, needs another chance)
He plays RW, so we could have Langkow, Hrdina, Sillinger (when he is healthy, Taffe while he is out) and Kolanos play center.

I know it has some holes, but the basic idea is trade Burke and a center, making room for Shvidki. Also, we could wait until Sillinger is healthy and trade Burke and a center, so Taffe could move up and play wing.

10-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Nice for the proposals board maybe, but I don't see the Bruins adding 6.5-7 million flat to their payroll like that. They could have done something similar by claiming Cujo instead and probably been better off.

Gwyddbwyll
10-05-2003, 01:13 PM
When was the last serious trade? Other than those indirectly related to the waiver draft like Green to Boston (which probably makes them less likely to want Gratton now).. seems to me like teams are looking more at waivers than trades to fill any needs right now.

I'd like to grab Shvidki but there's no room at all for a tryout guy - Johnson, Doan, Radivojevic have three of four locked up and I dont think he's going to outplay Wilson.. plus we may need to move Kolanos/Cleary/Taffe to the RW and we'd all like to see Sjostrom get a few games this year. Maybe we should just content ourselves that we already have a reclamation project like Shvidki in Cleary.

Hoot
10-05-2003, 01:30 PM
When was the last serious trade? Other than those indirectly related to the waiver draft like Green to Boston (which probably makes them less likely to want Gratton now).. seems to me like teams are looking more at waivers than trades to fill any needs right now.

I'd like to grab Shvidki but there's no room at all for a tryout guy - Johnson, Doan, Radivojevic have three of four locked up and I dont think he's going to outplay Wilson.. plus we may need to move Kolanos/Cleary/Taffe to the RW and we'd all like to see Sjostrom get a few games this year. Maybe we should just content ourselves that we already have a reclamation project like Shvidki in Cleary.

I'd rather have Shvidki than Cleary. I think we definitely should go for Shvidki if we have the opportunity. He is more purely talented than just about any player on our roster so the payoff could be huge.

_Del_
10-05-2003, 06:47 PM
I'd rather have Shvidki than Cleary. I think we definitely should go for Shvidki if we have the opportunity. He is more purely talented than just about any player on our roster so the payoff could be huge.

This is true, but as he pointed out, how much room do we have around here and is this feasible... probably not enough, and probably not feasible...

Gwyddbwyll
10-06-2003, 09:41 AM
That's a big recommendation from you Hoot. I havent seen Shvidki play.. is he that impressive then? Pity he's not a LW because that would make it much easier to fit him in. If he is a skilled RW through and through (ie/ unsuitable for grind lines) then the only scenario I can see is pushing Doan back onto the 3rd line.

Nagy-Kow-Johnson
Savage-Hrdina-Shvidki
Nash-Gratton-Doan
Wilson-Kolanos-Radivojevic

Pressbox - Cleary Nazarov

that second line looks a bit too soft though

Hoot
10-06-2003, 12:40 PM
That's a big recommendation from you Hoot. I havent seen Shvidki play.. is he that impressive then? Pity he's not a LW because that would make it much easier to fit him in. If he is a skilled RW through and through (ie/ unsuitable for grind lines) then the only scenario I can see is pushing Doan back onto the 3rd line.

Nagy-Kow-Johnson
Savage-Hrdina-Shvidki
Nash-Gratton-Doan
Wilson-Kolanos-Radivojevic

Pressbox - Cleary Nazarov

that second line looks a bit too soft though

To be honest I've only seen a few glimpses of him from his draft year when he played for the Russian U-20 team. Even from those glimpses it was easy to see that Shvidki is extremely skilled and a natural talent. At this point he must be considered to be a project to make the NHL but he is a type of prospect we do not have enough of. He's upside is (was?) a first line player, maybe even an outstanding first line player. We don't have too many of those and I doubt Cleary fits that description. I'd like us to roll the dice on Shvidki.

Edit: I don't think Shvidki is for the NHL just yet. I think he should play in Springfield with the up and coming core to find his game and settle in.

PhoPhan
10-06-2003, 01:03 PM
If Shvidki is eligible for AHL, it would be a lot easier to find room for him. However, I am sure there is another team that would be able to offer him similar wages and a spot on the big club.