What's next for Dudley to do?

Thewbacca
10-05-2003, 11:12 AM
Lets waiste what we had left for Horton by getting Shields. Now lets not sign Horton, Stewart or Tacitek. Let Tacitek be picked off later in the year.

Anyone wan't to add to this?

panthers44
10-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Lets waiste what we had left for Horton by getting Shields. Now lets not sign Horton, Stewart or Tacitek. Let Tacitek be picked off later in the year.

Anyone wan't to add to this?

Letting Hurme go had nothing to do with saving money to sign the draft picks. Getting Shields also has no effect on signing them. From what I can gather, Dudley took a gamble with backup goalies. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Hurme or Shields playing 10-15 games...makes no difference to me. Shields may even be better at being a backup. Hurme was terrific when he had that stretch when he got a lot of playing time. When he had to play every 10 games, he struggled.

Crossbar
10-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Bruins are taking "a chunk" of Shields' salary and he has a much better record (12-13-9) than Hurme's crappy (4-11-6) record and the Bruins D is just as bad/worse than ours! Its a shame we didn't get a return for Hurme but i'm happy we got Shields over Hurme, hes much bigger so he takes more room up in the net and plays a safer style than Hurme's high-reflex style plus hes more experienced than Hurme in regular season play and playoffs, perhaps Shields can rejuvenate his career as John Grahame did in TB?

neelynugs
10-05-2003, 01:58 PM
)shields is solid in the backup role- his problem is when he becomes the starter. he's not good enough to be more than a backup, or a fill-in #1 over the course of say 20-30 games. his 2 biggest problems IMO are:
1) side-to-side movement...he's terrible in this aspect. any teams that can move the puck cross ice quickly can take full advantage.
2) playing the puck...he might be the worst puckhandling goalie in the league, and his decisions on when to play the puck leave a lot to be desired.

on the positive, he's a very big man, and is hard to beat low. he is very confident (most people say it's arrogance), and when on his game will challenge shooters and stay square. one thing i loved about shields was his battler mentality- he never gives up on a play, which leads to fabulous saves at times.

good luck to steve- hope he does well for you (except against boston, of course :D )

thestonedkoala
10-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Give into Keenan's rantings on Huselieus and trade him finally :D

Jeff Shafer
10-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Give into Keenan's rantings on Huselieus and trade him finally :D

that IMO will never happen

PanthersRule96
10-06-2003, 06:17 AM
that IMO will never happen

Especially not to the Wild, unless, however, Gaborik is involved.. :joker: