Hale and Ahonen

Aaron Vickers
10-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Since I bugged you about Berglund already, I'll but you about Hale and Ahonen as well.

Has Hale already made the team, and if so, how many minutes should he see? Who is he paired with?

As well, any info on Ahonen available would be great.

Unthinkable
10-05-2003, 01:25 PM
I'm not really in good position to comment on Ahonen here, but with regards to Hale he's still in the running for the last pairing. We should know for sure by Tuesday if he wins the job out of training camp, but I think its more likely that Giroux and Brown will be on the last pairing with Tommy Albelin as our bonafied 7th. Giroux is more seasoned then Hale is and will be able to step in and provide some much needed offense from the blueline without making glaring rookie mistakes. As far as ice time goes, I'm expecting we'll see the 3rd pairing get 15-18 minutes a game most nights much like last season. Giroux will see more if he's used on the PP and PK like I envision he will be. Hale was paired with his former defense partner Paul Martin through much of training camp. Wouldn't be out of the ordinary to see them both called up together continuing the same trends.

ratsgirl
10-05-2003, 01:38 PM
don't know what kind of info you are looking for on Ahonen--but
unless something very unexpected happens, Ahonen will be back in Albany for a third year. he should once again be sharing time with Clemmensen, so expect him to play around 40 games or so.

ps. unthinkable--i think you're confusing hale and demarchi. hale and martin never played together before ;)

Unthinkable
10-05-2003, 02:22 PM
ps. unthinkable--i think you're confusing hale and demarchi. hale and martin never played together before ;)

You're right there. My bad. They look natural playing together though.

Unthinkable
10-05-2003, 02:49 PM
He played on the penalty kill last season and has continued to do so during training camp scoring a shorthanded goal for his efforts. He'll get more PK time.