Re: Alex Ovechkin or Sidney Crosby???

Niedermayer21
10-05-2003, 07:27 PM
Who and what would it take to trade with a team like Pittsburgh, who might finish last and end up drafting first overall in 2004? I don't think Mario wants to finish last in the league, so who else would make a good trading partner and what would we have to surrender?

Or should we trade some prospects now to a team that we think might have the first pick in a couple of years and go after Sidney Crosby?

I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject. Thanks!!! :)

Tao Jones
10-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Last place does not guarantee first pick any more with the lottery.

meehan
10-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Who and what would it take to trade with a team like Pittsburgh, who might finish last and end up drafting first overall in 2004? I don't think Mario wants to finish last in the league, so who else would make a good trading partner and what would we have to surrender?

Or should we trade some prospects now to a team that we think might have the first pick in a couple of years and go after Sidney Crosby?

Wow it's been ages since the Devils had a high draft pick. Considering how both Ovechkin and Crosby are going to end up being high maintainence superstars and that Lou hates those types, I think even if the devils some how finish dead last and get the # 1 pick, Lou would probably trade it.

John Flyers Fan
10-06-2003, 05:49 AM
Wow it's been ages since the Devils had a high draft pick. Considering how both Ovechkin and Crosby are going to end up being high maintainence superstars and that Lou hates those types, I think even if the devils some how finish dead last and get the # 1 pick, Lou would probably trade it.

So you think Lou was happy to get Kirk Muller instead of Mario ???

sveiglar
10-06-2003, 07:00 AM
Considering how both Ovechkin and Crosby are going to end up being high maintainence superstars and that Lou hates those types, I think even if the devils some how finish dead last and get the # 1 pick, Lou would probably trade it.

High maintenance? On what exactly are you basing that characterization? The few interviews I've seen of both guys cast them in a very reasonable and grounded light.

High salary perhaps, but I don't quite see the high maintenance...

meehan
10-06-2003, 01:27 PM

Well of course not; but even if Mario was drafted then he would have been traded or lost to free agency at some point.

meehan
10-06-2003, 01:30 PM
High maintenance? On what exactly are you basing that characterization? The few interviews I've seen of both guys cast them in a very reasonable and grounded light.

High salary perhaps, but I don't quite see the high maintenance...

Well they are really hyped up players and eventually that hype will get to their heads even if it hasn't already.

devildan
10-06-2003, 01:54 PM

Did getting Kirk Mueller really turn out worse? If we would have drafted Mario, we could have ended up in the same siuation as the pens are in right now.

John Flyers Fan
10-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Did getting Kirk Mueller really turn out worse? If we would have drafted Mario, we could have ended up in the same siuation as the pens are in right now.

No you wouldn't have. the Pens are not in this situation because of Mario. They were about to be moved because nobody in Pittsburgh cares about hockey. The New jersey & Pittsburgh scenarios are very different.

Tao Jones
10-06-2003, 02:40 PM

As a player, Ken Daneyko will always have his name engraved on Lord Stanley's Cup less frequently than Claude Lemieiux, but more frequently than Mario.

Missionhockey
10-06-2003, 04:35 PM
How will it get to their heads? Crosby is a really really down to earth type guy and I don't think any of this will get to his head, if it hasn't allready. Ovechkin is a very humble hockey player too, his father has molded a great kid and a future star.

How would you know if Crosby is a down to Earth guy or not. People change over time anyway. A 40 year old man does not act the way he did when he was 16.

John Flyers Fan
10-06-2003, 04:38 PM
As a player, Ken Daneyko will always have his name engraved on Lord Stanley's Cup less frequently than Claude Lemieiux, but more frequently than Mario.

Obviously that makes Kenny a far superior player to Mario :rolleyes:

Tao Jones
10-06-2003, 08:12 PM
Obviously that makes Kenny a far superior player to Mario :rolleyes:Depends whether you are referring to numbers or character ;)

Sorry to take your thread off-topic N27.

NewarkDevil
10-07-2003, 04:12 AM

Um, well considering Lou wasn't the General Manager at the time I doubt he cared.

Tao Jones
10-07-2003, 04:27 AM

So you think Clarke was happy to get Eric Lindros instead of Forsberg,etc?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

John Flyers Fan
10-07-2003, 05:32 AM
So you think Clarke was happy to get Eric Lindros instead of Forsberg,etc?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

#1. Clarke did not make the original Lindros trade.

#2. That has no relevance whatsoever in this argument.

Tao Jones
10-07-2003, 05:49 AM

#2. That has no relevance whatsoever in this argument.

Let me get this right, the Devils missing out on having Mario, has no relevance to the Flyers missing out on having Forsberg?

Clarke may have not made the Lindros trade, but he had to deal with the consequences, and from what I can see, he still is. I give him credit as a player though, he never complained about his health issues or the way the game was played, like Mario did.

John Flyers Fan
10-07-2003, 05:54 AM
Let me get this right, the Devils missing out on having Mario, has no relevance to the Flyers missing out on having Forsberg?

Clarke may have not made the Lindros trade, but he had to deal with the consequences, and from what I can see, he still is. I give him credit as a player though, he never complained about his health issues or the way the game was played, like Mario did.

The original point was that the Devils don't want any ego players on their team, so they should be happy to have had Muller instead of Mario.

When both were healthy and at their best Lindros was a better player than Forsberg. Unfortunately for Lindros & the Flyers he was not able to stay healthy often enough.

Kirk Muller was a very good player for a long time, but nowhere near the player Mario was.

Tao Jones
10-07-2003, 06:52 AM

Tough to say since finishing last no longer guarantees the first pick in the lottery system, as it did when Mario was selected, after Pittsburgh played their backup goaltender(not an uncommon practice to play minor leaguers for evaluation after being eliminated or resting vets after clinching playoff berths) to finish the season behind New Jersey in '83.

Trading prospects to a team that might have a shot at Crosby or Ovechkin in a couple of years is a gamble that I don't see Lou taking, as the risks are too high with so many variables. Cases in point, Lindros refusing to play for Quebec in '91, and more recently Marc-Andre Fleury nearly missing the signing deadline with Mario's Pens.

NewarkDevil
10-07-2003, 07:56 AM

Nor did Lamoriello draft Muller. He came in two years later as GM.

Niedermayer21
10-07-2003, 07:29 PM
I respected Bobby Clarke for playing with diabetes. However, he was a real cheap shot artist and always hid behind Dave Schultz and the Flyers other goons after he would jab someone with the blade of his stick.

Still, he might have been the greatest leader in hockey history, and that includes Mark Messier and Bobby Orr!

I know why Philly traded for Lindros, but Forsberg was the real prize in the deal. The Rangers almost got Lindros, but an arbitrator named Bertuzzi awarded him to the Flyers. Rangers got Eric anyway, but maybe a little too late. ;)