Chremetiev and Smith

cagney
09-20-2005, 02:02 AM
Could any Halifax fans give me an update on Yuri Chremetiev and Daniel Smith? I was surprised to see them on the Mooseheads' roster. Thanks.

plaugher
09-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Smith's appearance on the roster shouldn't be too surprising, since his dad owns the team. ;) He's got good size, and decent awareness, but is very, very raw at this point. He could probably do for a year in midget, but practicing regularly with the big club, even if he's not playing much, should do his development some good.

Cheremetiev dazzled in the first pre-season game for Halifax; he picked up 3 or 4 points, but was pretty much invisible for the rest of camp. However, methinks he was probably promised a spot in order to get him to report; a tactic that Halifax has used a few times in the past for people who may not quite be ready for the Major Junior level.

Both Smith and Cheremetiev will probably be in and out of the line-up most of the first half of the season, playing on the fourth line most likely, as Halifax is carrying 15 or 16 forwards - again.

Will check back with a further progress report later.

cagney
09-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Smith's appearance on the roster shouldn't be too surprising, since his dad owns the team. ;) He's got good size, and decent awareness, but is very, very raw at this point. He could probably do for a year in midget, but practicing regularly with the big club, even if he's not playing much, should do his development some good.

I didn't know about his father owning the team. I'm not surprised to hear about how raw he is though. He's played his hockey in Arizona up to this point.

Cheremetiev dazzled in the first pre-season game for Halifax; he picked up 3 or 4 points, but was pretty much invisible for the rest of camp. However, methinks he was probably promised a spot in order to get him to report; a tactic that Halifax has used a few times in the past for people who may not quite be ready for the Major Junior level.

I remember when Chremetiev was playing in the EJHL as a fourteen year old. I haven't heard too much about him since though.

LaLaLaprise
09-23-2005, 11:14 AM
I didn't know about his father owning the team. I'm not surprised to hear about how raw he is though. He's played his hockey in Arizona up to this point.

I remember when Chremetiev was playing in the EJHL as a fourteen year old. I haven't heard too much about him since though.

Smith is a strong kid physically. He sometimes appeared like he was lost out on the ice. The jump from Midget AAA in Canada to Major Junior hockey is huge, so imagine how the jump would be from a Midget league in Arizona. He has had trouble with the pace of the game but then again he is only 16. He is 6'03 200 and is a better skater than his father was but his balance needs work. He seems to fall down a lot.

The Mooseheads know Smith is a long term project. The team is carrying 16 forwards so Smith will only get into about 30 games this year anyway, but practising with a Q team can improve a kids game immensly as the season goes on.

In regards to Cheremetiev...the kid has oodles of talent. His listed size is 6'00 183 but personally i think he is more like 5'10. He plays aggresive though. He is gritty and he digs in the corners. He also has some pretty dandy 1 on 1 moves and has a shot that will score him some goals at this level sooner than later. In his first game on Sunday he had maybe 5 shifts and 3 shots on goal and 1 was a good scoring chance.

PEli*
09-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Both players had good games tonight. A so-so start for each and both turned it on at the end. Smith scored a nice goal and after that, the Mooseheads were all over St. John. Cheremetiev was leading pretty much every offensive play.

Both have talent but both have a lot of work to do before they start to show full potential.