Dan Snyder no longer with us

Unthinkable
10-05-2003, 08:04 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031005/nhl_atl-ap.html

Thrashers player dies six days after wreck

ATLANTA (AP) -- Atlanta Thrashers forward Dan Snyder died Sunday night, six days after he was involved in a horrific car crash with All-Star teammate Dany Heatley.

Snyder died at Grady Hospital from massive brain injuries without ever regaining consciousness, the team said. He was 25.

Police said Heatley was driving his Ferrari at about 80 mph on a narrow two-lane road last Monday night when he lost control, spun off the road and smashed into a brick and wrought iron fence.

The car split in half. The players were thrown into the road.

RI Canuck
10-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Another hockey player lost this year. I hope Snyder is finally at peace.

Niedermayer21
10-05-2003, 08:33 PM
R.I.P. Dan Snyder. Only 25. A real tragedy. :cry:

Can't say a "horrible" tragedy. Have to be careful what adjectives you use before the word tragedy. There are no "good" tragedies and a "terrible" tragedy is redundant. I don't know why I am trying to make this point at this time. I am just so damn upset that a good kid is dead for no good reason. Just like the kids who are dying in Iraq. For what? Impeach Bush!!! He is a jackass. Clinton would be swinging from a noose by now if he pulled this crap! I am not a liberal nor a conservative. I just take each issue individually.
The world is a stinking mess. I either have to move out of New Jersey and find some decent human beings or I need to start drinking again. :rolleyes:

I really feel for Dany Heatley. He has to live with this for the rest of his life. Just a tragedy. In terms of degree, it is not a tragedy of the magnitude of the attack on the WTC and the Pentagon where thousands died, but the loss of life in a needless fashion makes me furious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :rant: :mad: :madfire:

BTW, wasn't Snyder a "Devil Killer" last season? (Pardon my choice of words). I think he scored 2 goals against us at the CAA. Can anyone confirm this as my memory is not what it used to be.
Thanks!!!

Unthinkable
10-05-2003, 09:45 PM
BTW, wasn't Snyder a "Devil Killer" last season? (Pardon my choice of words). I think he scored 2 goals against us at the CAA. Can anyone confirm this as my memory is not what it used to be.
Thanks!!!

You remember correctly. He had goals against the Devils in two of the four matchups we saw last season.

Feb 7th, 2003:
Game 53: Thrashers Defeat Devils: 4-2

The New Jersey Devils were defeated, 4-2 at home by the Atlanta Thrashers on Friday, February 7, 2003.

Dan Snyder smacked the puck past Brodeur at 14:33 of the first period to give the Thrashers a 1-0 lead...

March 11, 2003:
Game 68: Devils Fall to Thrashers: 3-2

The New Jersey Devils lost, 3-2, at home to the Atlanta Thrashers on Tuesday, March 11, 2003.

John Madden scored a short-handed goal at 4:30 of the first period to give the Devils an early 1-0 lead. Scott Stevens assisted on Madden's 18th goal of the season.

Dan Snyder tied the game at 12:42 with an unassisted goal.

The first period ended with the game tied, 1-1. The Thrashers outshot the Devils 10-8 in the period.

Just 54 seconds into the second period Bartecko of the Thrashers beat Brodeur to give Atlanta a 2-1 lead.

Snyder got his second goal of the game at 6:05 to give Atlanta a 2 goal lead.

MattNJD
10-06-2003, 04:05 AM
Such horrific news. Such a waste. I don't even know where to begin...

NJDevils#4
10-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Terrible. Talk about a tragic year for the NHL. Prayers go out to his family.

DevilFisch
10-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Very sad day for Snyder's family and friends. May he go to a better place and condolences for those close to him.

DRamones
10-06-2003, 09:06 PM
HORRIBLE!!! My prayers go out to his family and friends. I hope Heatley can rebound from this. We don't need to loose another young player over this. Is there any word if the Thrashers are going to postpone the start of the season. I don't know how they would be able to think about hockey right now. I know when I play and someone just gets seriously hurt and taken off the ice I find it hard to concentrate on the Game. R.I.P Snyder, the hockey world will miss you.

Unthinkable
10-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Is there any word if the Thrashers are going to postpone the start of the season. I don't know how they would be able to think about hockey right now. I know when I play and someone just gets seriously hurt and taken off the ice I find it hard to concentrate on the Game. R.I.P Snyder, the hockey world will miss you.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/thrashers/2003-10-07-grief_x.htm

Thrashers plan on playing through grief
By Gary Graves, USA TODAY
Atlanta Thrashers general manager Don Waddell said Monday that the team will try to keep a normal routine despite Sunday's death of center Dan Snyder and serious injuries to star winger Dany Heatley resulting from last week's car accident.

He didn't say it would be easy. But Thursday's season opener against the Columbus Blue Jackets is an important step toward helping the Thrashers deal with the shock of Snyder's death. It also might prepare them for the extended absence of Heatley, who faces vehicular homicide and other criminal charges in addition to a long physical recovery.

"Playing actually gives the players strength," Waddell told reporters in Duluth, Ga. "Last week Graham Snyder (Dan's father) talked to our players. They are a very strong family. They want us to continue forward, and we know Dan Snyder wants us to continue forward and have success during this season.

"The Snyder family wants us to play Thursday. It's not going to be easy. But we will find a way to move on. I think playing Thursday helps all of us to move forward."

Guttersnipe
10-07-2003, 03:16 PM
In a Thrashers-Devils game after the Arnott trade, Snyder almost leveled Elias with a brutal (legal) check. In response, Langenbrunner exchanged a few blows with Snyder. After the game, Langenbrunner explained that you can't let someone get away with making a run at the team's best player, saying "that's how he was raised". I was so charmed by Jamie's chippiness that I mail-ordered his jersey, which arrived right after the Carolina series.

Unthinkable
10-07-2003, 03:39 PM
I'm sending Modano = God an autographed Langenbrunner Cup finals jersey for his birthday after all the Langenfluffer he'll disappear when you need him most remarks! :lol:

Unthinkable
10-07-2003, 03:48 PM
It was a joke.