Panthers sign Horton

PantherBlood6*
10-05-2003, 09:18 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/panthers/sfl-panther06.1oct06,0,7312711.story?coll=sfla-sports-panthers

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

wint
10-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Good news. Though I'm still a little apprehensive about Horton playing in the NHL already, I think he'll make a positive contribution.

So now, I guess it looks like...

Nilson Jokinen Kozlov
Huselius Cullen Bure
Hagman Horton Samuelsson
Hordichuk Ritchie Bednar/Novo/Messier

Bouwmeester Odelein
Mezei Van Ryn
Biron Messier/Lilja

Luongo
Shields

evildreams
10-05-2003, 10:38 PM
nilson - jokinen - kozlov
huselius - cullen - v.bure
hagman - horton - samuelsson
hordichuk - ritchie - novoseltsev

bouwmeester - odelein
mezei - lilja
van ryn - messier

luongo
shields

Coolburn
10-06-2003, 04:24 AM
I think Van Ryn is pegged on the 2nd pairing with Mezei and I think Keenan is still in love with Biron so he's at least on the 3rd pairing. I think Messier was playing more at wing towards the end of the preseason too.

Nilson-Jokinen-Kozlov
Huselius-Cullen-Bure
Hagman-Horton-Samuelsson
Hordichuk-Ritchie-Messier*

Bouwmeester-Odelein
Mezei-Van Ryn
Biron-Lilja*

Luongo
Shields

* I think when playing teams from the West, it would be better to have Novo in at right wing and move Messier to defense.

PanthersRule96
10-06-2003, 07:22 AM
As much as I might get ripped for this,

I think that Horton, by the way he played with Jokinen and Kozlov should play on the top line. And put Nilson, who is not the greatest center, centering the 3rd line. Horton was pretty bad at faceoffs in the preseason and he would be in the corners banging around from the wing. IMO Ritchie wont stick and if Shvikdi survives waivers, he'll be brought up for a calllup. Was Goren cut yet?

Chaos2k7
10-06-2003, 07:28 AM
As much as I might get ripped for this,

I think that Horton, by the way he played with Jokinen and Kozlov should play on the top line. And put Nilson, who is not the greatest center, centering the 3rd line. Horton was pretty bad at faceoffs in the preseason and he would be in the corners banging around from the wing. IMO Ritchie wont stick and if Shvikdi survives waivers, he'll be brought up for a calllup. Was Goren cut yet?

Actually, it was stated MANY times that Horton was amoung our best centers at taking draws.

:yo:

Qubax
10-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Yeah lets have him taking draw on the number one line!!!!

IceKatsRHot
10-06-2003, 03:06 PM
10/03/2003
PANTHERS SIGN C NATHAN HORTON
Stewart Returned to Juniors; Weiss, Scott Assigned to San Antonio

SUNRISE, Fla. – Florida Panthers General Manager Rick Dudley announced Monday the Panthers have signed C Nathan Horton to a three-year deal. As per club policy financial terms of the contract were not disclosed.
HORTON

In addition, the Panthers returned RW Anthony Stewart to the Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) and assigned C Stephen Weiss and G Travis Scott to San Antonio (AHL).

With these changes, Florida's roster now stands at 24 players. The Panthers must trim their roster to 23 players by Tuesday's 3 p.m. deadline.

Horton, 18, was selected by Florida with the Panthers' first pick (third overall) in this year's NHL Entry Draft. He has appeared in four preseason contests with the Panthers recording four points (3-1-4). He notched his first NHL preseason goal on Sept. 20 against the Colorado Avalanche, followed by goals against Anaheim on Sept. 26 and Tampa Bay on Sept. 28.

“I am very pleased to have reached a contract agreement with Nathan,” Dudley said. “We feel that he can contribute immediately to the team and will be an asset for the future success of the Panthers. He is an extremely talented player and one that I know that our fans are going to enjoy watching.”

The Welland, Ontario native played in 54 games with the Oshawa Generals (OHL) last season, finishing third on the club in scoring with 68 points (33-35-68), despite missing a month of the season due to injury. He completed his first year with Oshawa (2001-02), finishing second in the OHL in rookie scoring with 67 points (31-36-67) and as runner-up for the OHL's Rookie of the Year. He also captured a gold medal with Canada's under-18 team in the 2002 Eight Nations Tournament in Slovakia.

Florida opens up the 2003-04 campaign Thursday, Oct. 9, at the Office Depot Center against its divisional rivals the Carolina Hurricanes at 7:30 p.m.

Alright... Horton signed... great!

Now what happened with Stewart, thought he was playing just as good as Horton in the preseason?

Also doesnt say anything about what we did with taticek, anyone know if he will start the season in the OHL or AHL?

GudVibransons
10-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Stewart was a victim of numbers. There were too many players who have guaranteed one-way contracts that we weren't able to get rid of. Also, the organization probably didn't want to hand out another first round contract before the new CBA. Still, Stewart probably needs another year in Juniors. Most scouting reports felt he needed another year to fine tune his skills. He has all the tools, but he needs more time before he will be fully NHL ready.

Heimy
10-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Stewart was a victim of numbers. There were too many players who have guaranteed one-way contracts that we weren't able to get rid of. Also, the organization probably didn't want to hand out another first round contract before the new CBA. Still, Stewart probably needs another year in Juniors. Most scouting reports felt he needed another year to fine tune his skills. He has all the tools, but he needs more time before he will be fully NHL ready.

Agree Hagman-O-War but I think the Stewart decision was based more on those contracts you mentioned than his being ready. He looked pretty good...and he'll be a welcomed addition next season.

please let there be a next season :cry:

jaybone87
10-06-2003, 05:35 PM
opener against Carolina and the dredded former Peterborough Pete Eric Staal. I hope Horton nets two lol.

PanthersRule96
10-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Where's Taticek playing? Obviously he wasn;t signed. I guess they want him in the O.

Coolburn
10-07-2003, 03:52 AM
He goes back to the Soo Greyhounds for now. We still have until like Jan 15 to sign him and send him to the AHL apparently. Worst case scenario, we have to sign him before the June 1 deadline or he goes back into the draft. In Russo's article this morning, his opinion is that Taticek might be expendable now with all the centers FL has (Jokinen, Horton, Weiss, Kreps). But we don't know if Kreps is definitely going to pan out.

Captain8
10-07-2003, 08:08 AM
He goes back to the Soo Greyhounds for now. We still have until like Jan 15 to sign him and send him to the AHL apparently. Worst case scenario, we have to sign him before the June 1 deadline or he goes back into the draft. In Russo's article this morning, his opinion is that Taticek might be expendable now with all the centers FL has (Jokinen, Horton, Weiss, Kreps). But we don't know if Kreps is definitely going to pan out.

Taticek looms as another question concerning Dudley and the organization. There's still time to ink him but it's worth asking whether Dudley made a mistake or whether it's a cash problem again. Both are plausible.

Russo's list of names is just that. Most of us are assuming Horton will at least be a regular NHLer, but Weiss, Kreps, and Taticek are all unknowns at this point.

PanthersRule96
10-07-2003, 11:41 AM
Kreps is a decent size, can FLY and has tons of SKILL. He is possibly gonna become a second line star. They said he easily sould have gone in the first round.

Captain8
10-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Kreps is a decent size, can FLY and has tons of SKILL. He is possibly gonna become a second line star. They said he easily sould have gone in the first round.

...and Weiss was also compared to Yzerman. Some said he was better than Spezza.

And Dudley traded up a spot to get Taticek, saying he had to have him.

Takkie
10-07-2003, 12:57 PM
i think we should have kept majesky, do we really need *another* skilled center prospect? i would have been happier with Majesky here, a Proven NHL caliber D-man who is still relatively young.

Coolburn
10-07-2003, 03:12 PM
I even forgot to list Nedorst in the list of centers too (though he has played at LW some as well). Taticek & Kreps are comparable in size and skill so either one is a good player to have. I think signing him and then trading him would be a better option. He should at least be worth a 2nd round pick which can net you a decent player. From just seeing the prospect conditioning camp, Taticek & Kreps were very close but it seemed to me that Kreps still had to work on his endurance some. I think the reasoning behind keeping Kreps is that he can be signed for less since he wasn't a top 10 pick in the draft.

Crossbar
10-07-2003, 03:44 PM
i think we should have kept majesky, do we really need *another* skilled center prospect? i would have been happier with Majesky here, a Proven NHL caliber D-man who is still relatively young.

1 NHL season is proven? Van Ryn had a brilliant rookie year in the NHL but then the next year his play went down so I don't think Majesky is proven just yet and trading him was well worth the 2nd rounder!

PanthersRule96
10-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Taticek was never projected to be more than a good 3rd line center.
IMO, he could surprise us all the most of all our prospects.

Darkhorses to merit attention

Taticek
Shvidki-I think if hes not claimed, he'll realize what he needs to do
Kolnik
Kreps-IMO he'll become one of our best prospects

BTW, did Koivisto even come to camp? Last year there was all this hype about how good he was.

GO MARLINS!

patastrophe
10-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Taticek was never projected to be more than a good 3rd line center.
IMO, he could surprise us all the most of all our prospects.

Darkhorses to merit attention

Taticek
Kolnik
Kreps-IMO he'll become one of our best prospects

BTW, did Koivisto even come to camp? Last year there was all this hype about how good he was.

GO MARLINS!

i think were going to end up trading taticek's rights to someone else for them to sign...most likely for a pick, similar to what ottawa did with tim gleason.

i know it seems like im a huge shvidki basher, but i just think this guy is a bust.

kolnik was a ball of fire when i saw the cats in anaheim, was the first opportunity i got to watch him play.

kreps i know zero about.

i hate baseball, but i feel good for you marlins fans, nice to see them finally recovering from the rule of h. wayne franchiseruinazenga. its because of that rat b*stard that danny marino never got a superbowl ring and the panthers went from 98 pts to the toilet (although he had lots of help wrecking the panthers).

btw, im right up the street from you, im in north hollywood. whats everyone think of our new governor (GIT TO DA CHOPPA!!!) lol

patastrophe
10-08-2003, 03:15 AM
kreps i know zero about.

actually, that should read, i only know what the papers and scouting reports said about kreps. the breif little synopsis type o crap. ive never seen him play though

Acadmus
10-08-2003, 04:34 AM

We'll see...he wasn't claimed.

patastrophe
10-10-2003, 03:20 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by PanthersRule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you know, i really hope us doubters are wrong about shvidki, but i doubt it.