Kelowna's team...

sbtatter
09-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Who's going to be the starting goalie this season? Is Bodie going to be back? How about that big lug of a European forward, Larzins?? (I forget his name) he played well in the playoffs.

JayByrd
09-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Derek Yeomans and Kris Westbloom will likely compete for playing time all year. I don't expect either to get less than 30 starts.

Lauris Darzins is probably the most purely skilled player on the team, and he will be back. A spanner in the works here is that he has had shoulder surgery that will have him out until Christmas. The Rockets do have two import players with the team now (Alexander Edler and Thomas Raffl) so when Lauris returns, someone will have to go. Here's my rough sketch of what the opening day roster should look like:

Forwards:

Bodie, Comeau, Keller, Ray, Howarth, Bauer, Sylvester, Hill, Cuthbert, Ofukany, Colin Long*, Josiah Anderson*, Thomas Raffl*, xSpurgeon, xDarzins

Defense:

Card, Cumiskey, Couture, Reinholt, Joe, Alexander Edler*, Luke Schenn*, Tyson Dowzak*

Goaltenders:

Yeomans, Westblom

* indicates rookie

x indicates injured

There are probably 1-2 additional forward spots open, which will disappear when Spurgeon and Darzins return.

sbtatter
09-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Is Yeomans in camp? I haven't seen his name in the 4 exhibition games... Is Bodie back from the Oilers?

JayByrd
09-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Yeomans along with Kevin Reinholt were sent back to Kelowna a few days ago. I believe both missed the first few preseason games.

Troy Bodie is still in the Oilers camp AFAIK.

Belamorte
09-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Derek Yeomans and Kris Westbloom will likely compete for playing time all year. I don't expect either to get less than 30 starts.

Lauris Darzins is probably the most purely skilled player on the team, and he will be back. A spanner in the works here is that he has had shoulder surgery that will have him out until Christmas. The Rockets do have two import players with the team now (Alexander Edler and Thomas Raffl) so when Lauris returns, someone will have to go. Here's my rough sketch of what the opening day roster should look like:

Forwards:

Bodie, Comeau, Keller, Ray, Howarth, Bauer, Sylvester, Hill, Cuthbert, Ofukany, Colin Long*, Josiah Anderson*, Thomas Raffl*, xSpurgeon, xDarzins

Defense:

Card, Cumiskey, Couture, Reinholt, Joe, Alexander Edler*, Luke Schenn*, Tyson Dowzak*

Goaltenders:

Yeomans, Westblom

* indicates rookie

x indicates injured

There are probably 1-2 additional forward spots open, which will disappear when Spurgeon and Darzins return.

I think that is pretty accurate for opening day but I dont think Couture will be around as a 20yr old for long unless he dramtically gets better from last year and I would assume Hamilton will also look to move one of the goalies (my guess Yeomans) before deadline.

As an aside I read in the paper today that Kelowna is ranked by the coaches of the league as #1 in WHL with all but 2 first place votes. (one to Kootney and 1 to Vancouver the rest to Kelowna).

Towelie*
09-21-2005, 07:44 PM
If you Kelowna fans could watch Edler closely it would be greatly appreciated. Edler looked quite good in the Canucks prospect camp. This guy has a huge amound of talent.

JayByrd
09-22-2005, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=kickinghorse]I think that is pretty accurate for opening day but I dont think Couture will be around as a 20yr old for long unless he dramtically gets better from last year and I would assume Hamilton will also look to move one of the goalies (my guess Yeomans) before deadline.

I hope you're right about Couture. Nothing against the guy, but he's a pretty average player to be holding down a 20 yr old spot. However, I felt the same about Darren Deschamps last year and he lasted the season. There wasn't much 20 yo talent available on defense last year though, perhaps this year will be better. Despite the amount of talent Kelowna has on defense right now, I'd have a hard time going without a 20 yo defenseman, as this would leave Kelowna with only two defenders (Card and Cumiskey) with more than one year of WHL experience.

KRF
09-22-2005, 01:27 PM
unless a trade comes up i think couture will stick around for awhile. cumisky last i heard hasn't even started skating with a back injury. keller and bodie are back that just leaves comeau in islander camp not here for fridays opener.

yeomans sat behind me for the giants pre season game, i don't think there will be a trade for now but you never know? look for yeomans and westblom to compete for the ice time, but with westblom getting alot more than last year.

if elder and raffl play good i don;t think there will be room for darzins. right now the 20 yr olds spots will be taken up by bodie and couture. if another 20 yr defenseman comes avaialbe look for a trade.

Fan.At
09-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Has anybody seen Raffl play in his first game? How did he do?

Lard_Lad
09-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Has anybody seen Raffl play in his first game? How did he do?

Badly. He took two penalties, neither of them good, and didn't seem to know his role offensively; a couple of times, I noticed his teammates talking to him after a whistle and gesturing with their stick, like they were trying to explain what he should have done on a play.

The second game he looked a little better, and created one or two chances. But he needs a lot of work, and he definitely needs to get stronger - a guy his size shouldn't get pushed around like he does. I can't see him staying with Kelowna after Lauris Darzins returns and they have to cut one of their three import players.

Russian_fanatic
09-25-2005, 09:41 PM
How did Edler do?

cagney
09-25-2005, 09:49 PM
While you're at it, could you give a report on Tysen Dowzak as well please? Thanks.

Lard_Lad
09-25-2005, 11:32 PM
How did Edler do?

Posted a report in the Canucks forum on him. He's not going to dominate this year, that's for sure.

Lard_Lad
09-25-2005, 11:44 PM
While you're at it, could you give a report on Tysen Dowzak as well please? Thanks.

Didn't look great, but you can definitely see the potential there. Good hitter, but he needs to apply his size a little better along the boards and in front of the net, and not get himself out of position just to make the big hit. More offensive instincts and upside than I expected, he showed a little of that once the Portland game was out of reach and Kelowna opened things up a bit. I think he'll be a very good player in this league, especially if he learns to play within the Rockets' system. As long as he settles down a bit and shows he's a team player, can't see him not being taken in the draft.

Hasbro
09-26-2005, 12:28 AM
How about Cumisky?

Fan.At
09-26-2005, 02:38 AM
Badly. He took two penalties, neither of them good, and didn't seem to know his role offensively; a couple of times, I noticed his teammates talking to him after a whistle and gesturing with their stick, like they were trying to explain what he should have done on a play.

The second game he looked a little better, and created one or two chances. But he needs a lot of work, and he definitely needs to get stronger - a guy his size shouldn't get pushed around like he does. I can't see him staying with Kelowna after Lauris Darzins returns and they have to cut one of their three import players.
It should only be a matter of adjusting to NA-hockey, he did very well in the austrian league, played physical and showed good skills. If he can turn things around, Kelowna should have a valuable guy in him...

When will Darzins come back?

KRF
09-26-2005, 03:05 PM
darzins last i heard was still december, but i heard a rumor that it might be sooner?

cumisky is going to be out at least a month, the rockets need him back asap.

dowzak has all the potential in the world, but struggled a little in the first two games. right now he is the third or fourth defenseman, maybe a little fast to be put in that spot. tysen will be a very good one.

edler has made some real bad mistakes, he stick check bartley on friday and he went around edler like he wasn't there and scored. same thing happened again but didn't cost a goal. edler does pass the puck out of the defensive zone very well and has a good shot. needs a little more time learning the rocket system, but he will be a good one.

raffl must be getting use to the north american game, you have trouble finding him stand out in a crowd. unless you look for #27, you can't find him. hopefully he picks it up or darzins will steal the spot back.

Fan.At
10-01-2005, 03:50 AM
raffl must be getting use to the north american game, you have trouble finding him stand out in a crowd. unless you look for #27, you can't find him. hopefully he picks it up or darzins will steal the spot back.
Raffl scored his first goal yesterday. I have seen him play in the austrian league and i'd say it is only a matter of adjusting and feeling comfortable for him. His game should be a good fit for north american hockey. he is rugged and likes to use the body, i'm confident he will turn that around.

Vman
10-04-2005, 01:56 AM
whoa, Edler has 6 assists so far in five games.

Tb0ne
10-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Has Edler been making any progress defensively?

Upchuck19
10-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Has Edler been making any progress defensively?
Yes he has come along was from the first game of the season. He is taking the man instead of stick checking. His offensive game is very good, with 2 goals and about 14 assists in fourteen games.

Fan.At
10-25-2005, 06:09 AM
Thomas Raffl has been traded to Swift Current. Hopefully he does better there.

Captain Insano
11-05-2005, 12:10 PM
What the hell's been happening to them lately?

Avery4Byng*
11-05-2005, 12:12 PM
What the hell's been happening to them lately?
It's called losing, an occurance that happens throughout the course of a hockey season.

Captain Insano
11-08-2005, 10:37 AM
It's called losing, an occurance that happens throughout the course of a hockey season.

:handclap:
But Kelowna won the Memorial Cup.