Calgary/Phoenix-Calgary/Nashville Proposal

Sec of Partying Down
10-06-2003, 07:09 AM
Phoenix: 5th round pick
Calgary: Zac Brieck

then

Calgary: 9th
Nashville: McLennan, Wallin

Calgary gets a capable back-up while getting rid of McLennan who has worn out his welcome in Calgary. Phoenix has excess goaltenders. Nashville gets a defensemen and a McLennan was considered a capable back-up before his awful preseason.
Thoughts?

Frenzy1
10-06-2003, 07:28 AM
If McClennan had such a bad pre-season, why would Nashville want him? Just a question, not blasting you.

Sec of Partying Down
10-06-2003, 07:33 AM
If McClennan had such a bad pre-season, why would Nashville want him? Just a question, not blasting you.
Because they get a defensemen as well and their defense is pretty weak.

Iggy-4-50
10-06-2003, 07:38 AM
At this point Calgary would anything to get a solid backup,don't know much about Zac Brieck though.
Also Wallin may just be available threw waivers by the end of the week.

SmokeyClause
10-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Because they get a defensemen as well and their defense is pretty weak.

Wallin? Wallin would likely be waived as soon as he arrived. Any time you can have two players for a 9th rounder pick, neither are likely to see any NHL time. That being said, I'd do the deal. I think I can turn around and trade Wallin for atleast a 9th rounder and ditto for McLendon.

barrytrotzsneck
10-06-2003, 10:03 AM
i'd rather have chris mason than jamie mcclennan at this point...and jesse wallin would MOST likely not make the team, once york returned from his injuries. i'd wait to see it, before i declared nashville's defense "weak," because it's been anything but, thus far.

ATG
10-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Phoenix: 5th round pick
Calgary: Zac Brieck

then

Calgary: 9th
Nashville: McLennan, Wallin

Calgary gets a capable back-up while getting rid of McLennan who has worn out his welcome in Calgary. Phoenix has excess goaltenders. Nashville gets a defensemen and a McLennan was considered a capable back-up before his awful preseason.
Thoughts?

First of it's Zac Bierk and i don't think Phoenix would take that deal because they must feel that bierk has some value considering they protected him over brian boucher

Enoch
10-06-2003, 10:08 AM
i'd do the deal b/c a 9th rounder is only a 9th rounder......like smokey said, both could probably be dealt for more separately later on ;)

ATG
10-06-2003, 10:09 AM
Wallin? Wallin would likely be waived as soon as he arrived. Any time you can have two players for a 9th rounder pick, neither are likely to see any NHL time. That being said, I'd do the deal. I think I can turn around and trade Wallin for atleast a 9th rounder and ditto for McLendon.

Damn i still remember wallin from his canadian junior days damn he has fallen heavy

SmokeyClause
10-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Damn i still remember wallin from his canadian junior days damn he has fallen heavy

Yeah, long gone are the days he used to tear up the Dub with the Red Deer Rebels.

Ozy_Flame
10-06-2003, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't be quick to jump to conclusions. I think the Coyotes didn't have to really think hard of who to expose in the waiver draft. Boucher may not be that great of a goalie, but Bierk is no gem himself; he was on a mean streak and that's about where it's ended. It looks like the 'Yotes simply exposed Boucher based on a numbers game. Boucher makes four times as much as Bierk. For a cash-strapped club like Phoenix, you really don't have to think hard of who to expose.

With that being said, Boucher is still on the team, and doesn't look to be drawing any interest lately. Him being passed over says that the teams are avoiding big-ticket underacheivers in preparation for the 2004 Armegeddon. But it still leaves Phoenix with a logjam. So, knowing they will be stuck with Boucher, Bierk could be had for relatively cheap. A 5th rounder is more than fair given his numbers, his contract, his experience, and his stage thus far in his career. It also opens up some room to swallow some of that payout Boucher makes anyways.

Oh yeah, and Nashville will not take McLennan. Not when they so adamantly targeted Chris Mason in the waiver draft. They could have had McLennan for free, but opted to pass him over.

Calgary has two choices - buy McLennan out, or let him play. Sending him down to the minors will take valuable time away from Sabourin and possibly Krahn and Desrochers, but letting him play is a risk in itself. The best thing for Calgary to do is let Turek put the weight on his shoulders and peg him for 65-70 games for the year, barring he can sustain a healthy season. Only let McLennan play when Turek is down and out to the nth degree.

Vatican Roulette
10-06-2003, 10:55 AM
i'd rather have chris mason than jamie mcclennan at this point...and jesse wallin would MOST likely not make the team, once york returned from his injuries. i'd wait to see it, before i declared nashville's defense "weak," because it's been anything but, thus far.

Wallin is a good #6 guy...he'd fit well with the preds.

PredsFan77*
10-06-2003, 11:21 AM
With our AHL team?

SmokeyClause
10-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Wallin is a good #6 guy...he'd fit well with the preds.

We have several #6's available. Hamhuis and Hutchinson would make good #6's if we brought them up. Schnabel or Brookbank would be better fits at #6 than Wallin. He's a minor leaguer if he's a Predator. We have enough defensive Dmen so that we don't have to reach for Wallin.

10-06-2003, 01:29 PM
Forget the 3 way, I see the Coyotes talking directly to Nashville about one of their goaltenders. Boucher perhaps is a little to pricey, but Bierk could be had. More likely is to not see a deal of this type work out, and instead you'll see Burke dealt by the trade deadline to a team like Boston or Colorado, perhaps others in peril.

SmokeyClause
10-06-2003, 01:38 PM
Forget the 3 way, I see the Coyotes talking directly to Nashville about one of their goaltenders. Boucher perhaps is a little to pricey, but Bierk could be had. More likely is to not see a deal of this type work out, and instead you'll see Burke dealt by the trade deadline to a team like Boston or Colorado, perhaps others in peril.

Boucher is out of the question. We won't pay him that much to play 20 games a year max. I could see a Bierk deal but the Preds loved what Mason brought to the table a few years back and seem quite content with keeping him in the backup role until he proves he's not capable. I would imagine the second scenerio listed is more plausible than a deal with the Preds. Atleast for the moment.

PhoPhan
10-06-2003, 06:28 PM
As a Coyotes fan, I'd most like to see them trade Bierk, but I'd also like to see them get more than a 5th rounder. I think a 3rd is closer, but I'd rather see them get someone like a recently drafted 1st rounder that a team has given up on. Shvidki would be a good comparison, but he is on waivers. Someone similar to that though.

Ozy_Flame
10-06-2003, 07:56 PM
As a Coyotes fan, I'd most like to see them trade Bierk, but I'd also like to see them get more than a 5th rounder. I think a 3rd is closer, but I'd rather see them get someone like a recently drafted 1st rounder that a team has given up on. Shvidki would be a good comparison, but he is on waivers. Someone similar to that though.

A third is laughable. If Hurme can get a 4th, a goalie that is ten times the player Bierk is, that's asking for too much. A fifth rounder is more than fair.

SmokeyClause
10-07-2003, 04:10 AM
A third is laughable. If Hurme can get a 4th, a goalie that is ten times the player Bierk is, that's asking for too much. A fifth rounder is more than fair.

Agreed, in your typical goalie market, maybe Bierk could be had for a 3rd. But right now.