What do the Canucks need?

MVP
10-06-2003, 10:17 AM
There have a been a lot of talks about the 13 and 14 forward of this club, and they have all been good discussion for the most parts. One of the things i found interesting is that ever since the Canucks signed Avredsson, there seems to be a change of focus from an assesement of the team need to just combination of lineup and who plays the best in the pre-season and training camp.

i am just curious about your view of the main need of the Canucks right now. The reason i brought this up is because after the wavier draft, the Canucks have some extra money to play with. Langdon = 500000$, and through each player being claimed the Canucks receive 85000$ for each, at less that is what i got from reading this article. http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sports/story.asp?id=80877ED9-31E3-458F-8D19-06CA23ABD4E6

And even assuming Baumer salary to be a minor league contract of between 75000$ to 100000$, the Canucks all the suddren has close to 750000$ to spend after the wavier draft. i personally don't think Mike Keane at this stage of his career is worth a 750000$ contract, and there are still several quality veteran forwards available on the UFA market such as Steve Thomas, Adam Graves, Shayen Corson, Ulf Dahlen, and Adam Oates. Not all will fit in regard to what the Canucks need, but it is difficult to know for sure without doing a current assessment of the team and look at each player as a possibility and see what they can bring.

i am just saying for example, if Canucks can somehow contact Adam Oates about the possibility of signing him to a one year 1.5 million dollars contract, and if Burke asked McCaw for a increase of extra 750000$ on the payroll, will Oates fits with the Canucks under such scenario where Oates will be a good playmaker, faceoff man, and a right hand shot in the forward position which is lacking right now since the departures of Klatt and Letowski.

For example the lineup could be

Avredsson Oates Nazzy
Sedin Sedin Bertuzzi
Cooke Morrison Linden
Lingdren Chubby May

i am looking at it as a possible scenario and the impacts that a move such as this could have on the Canucks rather than promoting or suggesting such a move to happen.

ginner classic
10-06-2003, 10:26 AM
There have a been a lot of talks about the 13 and 14 forward of this club, and they have all been good discussion for the most parts. One of the things i found interesting is that ever since the Canucks signed Avredsson, there seems to be a change of focus from an assesement of the team need to just combination of lineup and who plays the best in the pre-season and training camp.

i am just curious about your view of the main need of the Canucks right now. The reason i brought this up is because after the wavier draft, the Canucks have some extra money to play with. Langdon = 500000$, and through each player being claimed the Canucks receive 85000$ for each, at less that is what i got from reading this article. http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sports/story.asp?id=80877ED9-31E3-458F-8D19-06CA23ABD4E6

And even assuming Baumer salary to be a minor league contract of between 75000$ to 100000$, the Canucks all the suddren has close to 750000$ to spend after the wavier draft. i personally don't think Mike Keane at this stage of his career is worth a 750000$ contract, and there are still several quality veteran forwards available on the UFA market such as Steve Thomas, Adam Graves, Shayen Corson, Ulf Dahlen, and Adam Oates. Not all will fit in regard to what the Canucks need, but it is difficult to know for sure without doing a current assessment of the team and look at each player as a possibility and see what they can bring.

i am just saying for example, if Canucks can somehow contact Adam Oates about the possibility of signing him to a one year 1.5 million dollars contract, and if Burke asked McCaw for a increase of extra 750000$ on the payroll, will Oates fits with the Canucks under such scenario where Oates will be a good playmaker, faceoff man, and a right hand shot in the forward position which is lacking right now since the departures of Klatt and Letowski.

Avredsson Oates Nazzy
Sedin Sedin Bertuzzi
Cooke Morrison Linden
Lingdren Chubby May

i am looking at it as a possible scenario and the impacts that a move such as this could have on the Canucks rather than promoting or suggesting such a move to happen.

I think this horse has been sufficiently reaten. We couls use a lot of things but first and foremost we need an impored supporting cast for our top line. I am not sure if could be any clearer. Burke will wait until the end of November before re-evaluating. We are a team with some deficiencies which tend to show up in the playoffs. Little has been one to address them given the current budget. I expecct another relatively early exit in the playoffs again.

ginner classic
10-06-2003, 10:27 AM

Avredsson Oates Nazzy
Sedin Sedin Bertuzzi
Cooke Morrison Linden
Lingdren Chubby May

I think this horse has been sufficiently beaten. We could use a lot of things but first and foremost we need an improved supporting cast for our top line. I am not sure if could be any clearer. Burke will wait until the end of November before re-evaluating. We are a team with some deficiencies which tend to show up in the playoffs. Little has been done to address them given the current budget. I expecct another relatively early exit in the playoffs again.

Impossibles
10-06-2003, 10:34 AM
The matter of the canucks adding players isn't about money anymore, its about how the group of players we have now plays, and then deciding if we need to make any changes.

The line-up currently stands at:

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi
Arvedson-Sedin-Sedin
Cooke-Chubarov-Lindgren
Keane/King-Lindgren-May/Ruutu (any of these 5 will play on the 4th line)

Jovo-Malik
Ohlund-Sopel
Allen/Slegr-Salo

I don't think that adding an Oates or Steve Thomas type player improves our lineup. That said, if the canucks don't get off to a good start, I can see somebody like that getting picked up or BB making a move.

As if, i really like our line-up, especially if the twins step it up.

ginner classic
10-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Well you all are in for yet another nauseating dose of trade targets again.....Ricci, Bell, Shvidki, Rita, Beech, and Sarich. Ricci would be a huge upgrade over Chubarov. Shvidki and Rita are great wildcards on the wing if King does not pan out.

orcatown
10-06-2003, 10:49 AM
I think the most important need for the Canucks has been the front-line center. Morrison is a good hockey player but not IMO that top end center that can dominate. He is a not Sakic, Sundin, Thorton, Weight, Fedorov, Forsberg etc... He's a step down. I think this was again clearly shown in the playoffs when Morrison was mostly negated by close checking.

However getting one these top end centers requires money. Most are simply deyond the budget of the Canucks. That's where a person like Oates may come in. A few years ago Oates was a elite center in the League. How much he's got left is questionable. Did play well enough for Anahiem last year but has certainly slowed down. Would be nice to have around. However, the real answer to situation may be to take on a player, later in the season, whose salary another team is wanting to dump - such as what they were considering with Damphousse last year.

Hi-wayman
10-06-2003, 02:50 PM

Avredsson Oates Nazzy
Sedin Sedin Bertuzzi
Cooke Morrison Linden
Lingdren Chubby May

I like your idea of Oates if King doesn't work out. I think it's better for now to let King, Reid or Kesler at least have a shot at proving we don't need to trade for a player. Crunch time isn't until March.

As A lineup with Oates in it, I'd go:

Naslund - Oates - Bertuzzi
Cooke - Morrison - Linden
Arvedson - Sedin - Sedin
May/Lindgren- Chubarov - Ruutu/Keane

LaVal
10-06-2003, 04:09 PM
i'd sign a 75 year old Gordie Howe before i'd sign Oates. aside from being too old to fit in with the team, too expensive, and not a good fit for the big line... he has a reputation for being a GM's worst nightmare.

Fedz
10-06-2003, 04:13 PM
A scorinf Right Winger, SIMPLE!

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Easy...a Vezina-calibre goaltender.

Impossibles
10-06-2003, 05:16 PM
I think the most important need for the Canucks has been the front-line center. Morrison is a good hockey player but not IMO that top end center that can dominate. He is a not Sakic, Sundin, Thorton, Weight, Fedorov, Forsberg etc... He's a step down. I think this was again clearly shown in the playoffs when Morrison was mostly negated by close checking.

However getting one these top end centers requires money. Most are simply deyond the budget of the Canucks. That's where a person like Oates may come in. A few years ago Oates was a elite center in the League. How much he's got left is questionable. Did play well enough for Anahiem last year but has certainly slowed down. Would be nice to have around. However, the real answer to situation may be to take on a player, later in the season, whose salary another team is wanting to dump - such as what they were considering with Damphousse last year.

What does morrison have to do to get some respect? He centers the #1 line in hockey, is one of the most consistent players on the team, but is still not considered our #1 center.

Desides, does ottawa have a number one center? Does New jersey? Does detroit? No, no, and not anymore.

I think we're ok.

CCF
10-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Easy...a Vezina-calibre goaltender.

Good luck finding one of those.

PhillyNucksFan
10-06-2003, 06:37 PM
Good luck finding one of those.

we have one..

Johan... :yo: :yo:

SedinFan*
10-06-2003, 06:44 PM