(MLB) Does anyone know the rules for a 3-way tie?

Joe T Choker
09-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Hypothetical, but possible, what happens if NYY, BOS & CLE all end up with identical records this year, whom plays whom and where, and when?

sammy87
09-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Hypothetical, but possible, what happens if NYY, BOS & CLE all end up with identical records this year, whom plays whom and where, and when?

Since Boston and New York would be tied for the AL East they would play a tie breaker. Which would be played in New York(they won the coin flip). The loser of the game would then play the Indians to decide the Wild Card. (as per the coin flip BOS would be home against CLE, or CLE would be home against NYY)

Joe T Choker
09-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Since Boston and New York would be tied for the AL East they would play a tie breaker. Which would be played in New York(they won the coin flip). The loser of the game would then play the Indians to decide the Wild Card.

that seems really fair to the loser of the East Division playoff game ... The Indians get to rest up their big gun for one more day. against BOS/NYY #2 or 3 guy ... niiiiice ... now I'm really hoping the White Sox choke and it becomes a 4 way tie

acr*
09-26-2005, 12:17 PM
To the best of my knowledge, since the Yankees I believe would have a better head-to-head record against the Sox, they'd be awarded the division and the one-game playoff for the Wildcard would be Boston vs. Cleveland.

I'm not sure though. I know for a fact if two teams are tied for the division, but the loser would be the wildcard, the division goes to the team with the better head to head record.

Impossibles
09-26-2005, 12:32 PM
I heard they will have a 3 way shootout to decide the winner.

Vic Rattlehead*
09-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Me father and I were talking last night, and he said that it would be exciting if Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, and New York all finished with the same record.

Douggy
09-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Me father and I were talking last night, and he said that it would be exciting if Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, and New York all finished with the same record.
In that case they should just eliminate the Angels from contention all together. :D

Irish Blues
09-26-2005, 05:53 PM
No, what really sucks is that the Cardinals will have the best record in baseball for the 2nd straight year, and if they make it to the World Series they STILL won't have home field advantage because the American League won the All-Star game.

The Cards go 105-57 last season, and the Red Sox (who couldn't even win their own division) gets home field advantage because the AL beat the NL in July. That's still B.S. and the whole "winner of the All-Star game gets home field advantage" idea needs to finally be dumped for good.

Vic Rattlehead*
09-26-2005, 05:56 PM
No, what really sucks is that the Cardinals will have the best record in baseball for the 2nd straight year, and if they make it to the World Series they STILL won't have home field advantage because the American League won the All-Star game.

The Cards go 105-57 last season, and the Red Sox (who couldn't even win their own division) gets home field advantage because the AL beat the NL in July. That's still B.S. and the whole "winner of the All-Star game gets home field advantage" idea needs to finally be dumped for good.
I agree. It's a moronic way to decide who gets homefield advatange.

ebbhead
09-26-2005, 06:14 PM
I think if those 3 tie then whoever wins the division game is in & the loser would be a half game back & the Indians would be in, I think

acr*
09-26-2005, 06:18 PM

While I agree it's dumb to decide homefield with an All-Star game, the Cardinals did happen to lose their first two HOME games of the World Series as well.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
09-26-2005, 06:55 PM

CUZ THIS TIME IT MATTERS!!!!

I'm 1337!!!!