Lewiston Vs St. John’s gets nasty

alecfromtherock
09-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Here is an expert from my local paper The Telegram

The teams combined for 131 penalty minutes Tuesday. That’s not including the 12 misconducts and game misconducts because the QMJHL does not include them in PIM totals. There were plenty of altercations, including a verbal joust between assistant coaches Darryl Williams of the Fog Devils and Ed Harding of the MAINEiacs. And after the game, both head coaches were in a rush to reach the league commissioner to air their grievances.

“I called Gilles Courteau right away,” said Lewiston coach/general manager Clement Jodoin immediately after putting away his cellphone. “Other than that, I don’t want to say anything right now. I don’t want to say anything stupid.”

St. John’s head coach/GM Real Paiement was also fuming, especially over what he says was a slur directed at Fog Devils’ defenceman Josh McKinnon in the third period.

McKinnon, who is black, confirmed a racial epithet was hurled his way, but chose not to elaborate. Paiement, however, was more specific, claiming Lewiston forward Alex Sousa had used the so-called “n’’ word as McKinnon was leaving the ice after having been handed a game misconduct.

“Their No. 8 (Sousa) called McKinnon a (expletive deleted),” said Paiement. “It has no place in hockey. It has no place in the world.

“And their No. 20 (Jakub Bundil) speared (Fog Devils’ forward Anthony) Pototschnik twice. That’s gutless and we’re not going to take it.
Sousa was not penalized, while Bundil received a match penalty for the spearing incident. It was one of six ejections in the last three minutes of the game, but the only one given to the MAINEiacs. In fact, of the dozen misconducts and game misconducts handed out by referee Guy Pellerin, nine went to the Fog Devils, and a couple of them could cause problems

Does anyone know if there are any disciplinary actions for Racial Slurs?

OHLArenaGuide
09-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Does anyone know if there are any disciplinary actions for Racial Slurs?

Yes, there are, a player in the OHL last year was suspended for saying "I don't fight f***in' Euros". If they can prove Sousa said what he allegedly said, he will be sitting for some time.

I was at the game... haven't seen a goon match like that in ages. St John's was doing most of the disturbing out there but the two worst things - Sousa's slur and Bundil's spear - were both done by Maineiacs.

CHRDANHUTCH
09-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes, there are, a player in the OHL last year was suspended for saying "I don't fight f***in' Euros". If they can prove Sousa said what he allegedly said, he will be sitting for some time.

I was at the game... haven't seen a goon match like that in ages. St John's was doing most of the disturbing out there but the two worst things - Sousa's slur and Bundil's spear - were both done by Maineiacs.

This is what happens when an expansion team drafts a goonish franchise such as the Fog Devils have---

BTW, DID ANYONE NOTICE it was the 3rd game in a matter of a week in St. John's only interrupted due to a pair of concerts @ Mile 1, and very little happened in either game, but G Jonathan Bernier was run over by a Fog Devil near the end of the 2nd Game, how classless to do that to a 17 year old, and Lewiston is a skill team WHILE Lewiston didn't antagonize Brandon Verge, who was a MAINEiac LAST YEAR.

LaLaLaprise
09-28-2005, 05:23 PM
This is what happens when an expansion team drafts a goonish franchise such as the Fog Devils have---

BTW, DID ANYONE NOTICE it was the 3rd game in a matter of a week in St. John's only interrupted due to a pair of concerts @ Mile 1, and very little happened in either game, but G Jonathan Bernier was run over by a Fog Devil near the end of the 2nd Game, how classless to do that to a 17 year old, and Lewiston is a skill team WHILE Lewiston didn't antagonize Brandon Verge, who was a MAINEiac LAST YEAR.

You shouldnt be throwing the "classless" stone around, especially after what Sousa did. :amazed:

:amazed:

FREE DENTAL CARE
09-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Maybe that stuff flys in South Boston, but it shouldn't in a highly respected, NHL grooming ground like the "Q". Sousa should get a minimum of 25 games from the league for a comment like that. Or, better yet, if the Lewiston management has any class at all, they'll tell him that maybe the Q is not the place for him. Step up Lewiston!

kingpest19
09-28-2005, 06:50 PM

IIRC wasnt it a euro player that said that about not fighting euros? Its sad that in this day and age this type of crap gets brught into sports.

SPORTSMANIAC
09-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Maybe that stuff flys in South Boston, but it shouldn't in a highly respected, NHL grooming ground like the "Q". Sousa should get a minimum of 25 games from the league for a comment like that. Or, better yet, if the Lewiston management has any class at all, they'll tell him that maybe the Q is not the place for him. Step up Lewiston!

I am not condoning what Alex Sousa said but isn't 25 games extremely high? If he gets suspended it should be between 5 to 10 games. Was there a referee near the comment that Sousa said because the article didn't say there was one. If there was a referee he would of called a unsportsmanlike penalty on Lewiston! Stuff is said during every game. If Alex Sousa gets an extremely high amount of games players will see this and complain to their coach that were called a mother you know what and the coach will complain to the league that the opposing player should be suspened.

FREE DENTAL CARE
09-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Calling someone a "mother ----er" is NOT the same as a racially-motivated comment like Sousa made. I really don't care what the league does. The Lewiston franchise should move quickly to excise those comments/attitudes from the game.

FearTheFlyers
09-28-2005, 09:55 PM

How do you like OHL compared to the Q?

alecfromtherock
09-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Here is Alex Sousa’s profile

Alex Sousa
Defence

BD: 6-Feb-86
WT: 178
HT” 6'
Shoots: R
Hometown: Billerica, Massachusetts

It was probably said in the heat of things but that is still no excuse.

Minium Punishment: Sousa can not play against the Devils for the remainder of this season, including playoffs.

I believe that the 2 teams meet 4 more times this year in the regular season.

OHLArenaGuide
09-29-2005, 08:31 AM
How do you like OHL compared to the Q?

They're about the same so far; I'm tempted to say the OHL is higher-quality but then again all I've seen of the Q is an expansion team and a mid-level team playing each other. In all honesty it seems about the same - it's junior hockey and it rules.

FREE DENTAL CARE
09-29-2005, 12:34 PM
What about Chicoutimi and Quebec, they have black players (Boisclair, Paris) as well. Do you prevent Sousa and his biggotry from playing against them as well?

Newfie John
09-29-2005, 05:32 PM
I was at the game and it was a nasty one. Fog Devils lost 9-2 but it was fun to watch with all of the fights. One thing is for sure, Ilia Ejov is horrible.

It seemed like Lewiston instigated the fights, but when a fogdevil was ready to drop em, Lewiston's player ran away faster then the airplane out of St. John's back to Lewiston.

JohnnyB11
09-29-2005, 10:05 PM
I was at the game and it was a nasty one. Fog Devils lost 9-2 but it was fun to watch with all of the fights. One thing is for sure, Ilia Ejov is horrible.

It seemed like Lewiston instigated the fights, but when a fogdevil was ready to drop em, Lewiston's player ran away faster then the airplane out of St. John's back to Lewiston.

I can't seriously believe that a team that wins 9-2 and is considered a skill team instigates fights against a team which has toughness as it's main attribute. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. :shakehead

alecfromtherock
09-29-2005, 11:12 PM
But as a previous poster pointed out without proof nothing will come of the supposed racial incident.

And that is exactly what happened, no suspension was handed out as none of the officials herd what the accused said.

Look at the prospects board and this will pale in comparison.

Newfie John
09-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I can't seriously believe that a team that wins 9-2 and is considered a skill team instigates fights against a team which has toughness as it's main attribute. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. :shakehead

I was saying the same thing in the stands. It was bizarre.

hockeyfan42
10-05-2005, 04:38 PM
I was saying the same thing in the stands. It was bizarre.Let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Fog Devil players say the exact opposite of your observation. The St. John paper reported Fog Devil players stating how frustrated they got when they tried to instigate fights and Lewiston players skated away. No matter what was said or what shoves and shots were given, the Maineiac players wouldn't go.

From "The Telegram"

Marty Doyle, who scored one of the St. John’s goals and also drew two misconducts, said frustration over the score was accentuated by the MAINEiacs’ refusal to take the bait and do personal battle.

“It was really difficult,” said Doyle. “We were trying to do whatever we could to get a fight maybe, so that next time we played them, they’d remember the last time they played us.

“But it was hard to get them to go.”

One of the more interesting challenges came when five-foot-nine Fog Devil Steve Tilley issued a dance invitation to six-foot-five Olivier Legault.

“I asked him to go a couple times,” said Tilley of Legault, a Florida Panthers prospect.

“He’s a big guy, He’s an NHL draft pick and you’d expect him to fight, especially when I’m out there telling him he’s not going to play a single game in The Show.

“So you’d expect him to do something about it. But he didn’t.

“The blowout was embarrassing. But the fact there were guys out there yapping their jaws and that’s all they would do ... that’s what makes you angry.”

Perhaps Legault and the MAINEiacs were satisfied with the statement they were making on the scoreboard. It certainly was an emphatic one.

Prrebel
10-14-2005, 10:15 PM
A little off topic here but...

It was my daughter that won the "Name the mascot" contest. She was on hand at game 1 to drop the puck at the pre game cerimonies. Of course, she was more excited about meeting Rex Goudie then she was about the game :dunno: