Fleury's Contract Details

The Tang
10-06-2003, 07:17 PM
well, you wanted to know, theyre in the post gazette today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins/20031007pens2.asp

here's the part in particluar you will want to read:

"It's exactly the DiPietro deal," Patrick said. "They wanted a lot more than that, but we settled on the DiPietro deal."

In his rookie season, Fleury will be able to earn $400,000 for each of these statistical milestones: 20 victories, 3.25 goals-against average, .890 save percentage, 1,800 minutes-played, four shutouts and a top-three finish in rookie of the year voting.

What's more, the bonus becomes a flat $4 million if he reaches just two of those six as a rookie.

In the second year, Fleury would have to attain three to get the $4 million, and he would need four to do it in the final season. In years two and three of the contract, the rookie of the year bonus morphs into one based on a top-10 finish in a statistical comparison of all NHL goalies.

The Tang
10-06-2003, 07:58 PM
i wont be surprised in the least if they dont play him just to keep his salary down.

Superstar Shane
10-07-2003, 04:15 AM
yeah i know what you mean.

But i think they might be forced to play him if he plays the best out of the 3 (obviously).
Personally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he played no more than 30 games so that they didn't reach the 1800 minute bonus, unless he was already on track to reach the GAA and SV% bonus (hardly a herculean task :rolleyes: ).

GoPenguins
10-07-2003, 01:33 PM
I personally cant imagine Fleury failing to reach two of those six bonus clauses as long as he plays a decent amount of games. I say if he's on course to reach them easily, we just let him play the number of games his play merits.

Pens Fan 4-ever
10-07-2003, 02:20 PM
I think Fleury will get his whole bonus even if the Pens try to keep his games played under twenty, because I think he'll better the 3.25 GA and .890 SP.

SuperUnknown
10-08-2003, 05:24 AM
I think Fleury will get his whole bonus even if the Pens try to keep his games played under twenty, because I think he'll better the 3.25 GA and .890 SP.

Aren't .890 SP and 3.25 GA not NHL worth? He only needs to get those two figures to get the 4 million, but that would still make him one of the worse goaltender in the league (if he gets barely those figures). JS Aubin reached those two figures in 4 seasons out of 5...