the Booby Poll

Dancing Chicken
10-07-2003, 04:59 AM
Lets just see the veiws of our board on our coach Bobby. This is my first poll so lets see if she works

Hoot
10-07-2003, 05:46 AM
I think you need a third option. I don't think Bobby is the right coach if you want to develop a dynamic team. But maybe management does not want a dynamic team so he maybe he is the right coach for this management. I think we are shooting the messenger if we single out Bobby.

eye
10-07-2003, 06:22 AM
I think you need a third option. I don't think Bobby is the right coach if you want to develop a dynamic team. But maybe management does not want a dynamic team so he maybe he is the right coach for this management. I think we are shooting the messenger if we single out Bobby.

You won't convince me that Wayne agrees with the way this team is currently built. When picking Team Canada Wayne said he was looking for the most intelligent and skilled players saying they would find ways to adjust their games. I know it's not that easy when your competing with 29 other teams and you have to rely on the draft, trade savy and free agency to get there. The last draft and some moves this past summer may be signs of Wayne's direction taking shape. I look for this team to take a major shift in focus over the next 2-3 years.

Dancing Chicken
10-07-2003, 06:50 AM
I agree with you Eye :handclap:

Gretz likes smart hockey, he also loves speed. Remeber how long it took them to give Booby a contract, I do not think Bob is fooling anyone. Its just a matter of dollars.. LOL maybe that why they got rid of Todd, to afford a new coach.

But on the flip side we are starting to get that way, we are getting alot of smart two way players and our speed is starting to show, I would like to see more of it though..

Hoot
10-07-2003, 07:22 AM
You won't convince me that Wayne agrees with the way this team is currently built. When picking Team Canada Wayne said he was looking for the most intelligent and skilled players saying they would find ways to adjust their games. I know it's not that easy when your competing with 29 other teams and you have to rely on the draft, trade savy and free agency to get there. The last draft and some moves this past summer may be signs of Wayne's direction taking shape. I look for this team to take a major shift in focus over the next 2-3 years.

I was hoping for this "major shift in focus" from the start after Wayne came in. Unfortunately so far the words (or my hopes) haven't been matched by the actions of management. Hope springs eternal of course and I'd be just as disappointed (but not surprised) if this "major shift" failed to take place. I do think Wayne is "progressive" in his view of hockey but I'm not at all sure that Fletcher and Barnett are.

Kimahri
10-07-2003, 09:08 AM
Just one question.....how is 'Booby' even an insult?

ulf
10-07-2003, 10:46 AM
this veteren laden crew will work fine under booby and his asst's,in a year or 2 when the new yotes mature and emerge from springfield then a new more dynamic coach [if that's what is really needed] can be sought then.when talent like taffe is on the bubble it's obvious mgmt is leaving the kids down and getting thru to post cba.

PhoPhan
10-07-2003, 12:54 PM
I voted for the second option, but my opinion is that he is still the coach and deserves to be. He led the team to the best season they have had in a while, but then they had a really bad season. He deserves a chance to show that last season was the fluke, and not the prior one. Is it possible he had to play such a boring style last year to accomodate for injuries? That being said, I do not think it was a fluke and he will be gone around Christmas, soon after Burke.

Dancing Chicken
10-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Wow its a lot closer then I thought..

hbk
10-07-2003, 01:30 PM
He's the right coach because someone is going to have to take the fall for this season if we finish out of the playoffs and below the media expectations (note: real expectations of not making the playoffs could very well be met).

Matzel
10-07-2003, 06:38 PM
I voted that he is the right coach for the 'Yotes at this point. Wayne and all of us might be dreaming of 'intelligent' hockey, played with speed, finesse and skill. Sad reality is, that the roster didn't allow the coaching staff to even think about playing that kind of hockey last season. The season before that, BF coached the team to match the franchise record for most points in a season.

I am not claiming that he's the best coach on the planet, but would people (DC and all the others) be complaining just as loud, if the dogs had won the cup 2 years ago? Or would they say: "0h, well, we don't like the kind of hockey he has them play, but he brought us a cup..." Let's be realistic and not expect him to accomplish the impossible...

At this point he's been worth his money, IMO. If he can't get this team to take the next step, when management finally provides him with a more competitive roster, I would agree that he should be canned. However, up until now, he has been able to get more out of this team than most people had expected.

Dancin' Gabe rules! :bow:

ducky
10-07-2003, 08:57 PM
I am choosing not to vote because I think the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Francis is not the right coach IMO for us to play an exciting "oiler hockey" style of game. I am not confident in our assitants for that matter.

However, what Francis holds on management is a pretty decent record given the tools he has had to work with.

Had last year not been so marred by injuries I think management could have found reason to get their own coach in place. But given we were one year removed from coach of the year and were competitive despite the decimating injuries, I do not think managment could make the change.

If we are fairing poorly and are boring to watch - say by the time the new rink opens - I can see a change being made.

That brings the question, WHO?

Realistically Nolan will not be an option - though did have a young sabres team play intense hockey.

Melrose should not be an option.

Perry Pearns from Ottawa would be a great choice except that he is employed.

There are no Sutters available are there?

Ftorek - no.

I can't think of any good candidates. How 'bout you?

hbk
10-08-2003, 03:28 AM
I can't think of any good candidates. How 'bout you?

Larry Robinson comes to mind. I would expect Slats to be fired this year as well. John Paddock is a hell of a coach. Pat Quinn is another who might get let go this year. Pat Burns would probably be my top choice but he's at least a year away from being terminated.

Better off to wait though until management has an on-ice performance reason to justify to the media for letting go a former coach of the year.

CoyoteBaloney
10-08-2003, 03:30 AM
He's the right coach because someone is going to have to take the fall for this season if we finish out of the playoffs and below the media expectations (note: real expectations of not making the playoffs could very well be met).
Below the media expectations??? We've been predicted to finish 15th and last in the Western Conference by The Hockey News and 30th and last in the NHL by ESPN. How much lower can the team fall below the media expectations???

CoyoteBaloney
10-08-2003, 03:33 AM
Larry Robinson comes to mind. I would expect Slats to be fired this year as well. John Paddock is a hell of a coach. Pat Quinn is another who might get let go this year. Pat Burns would probably be my top choice but he's at least a year away from being terminated.

Better off to wait though until management has an on-ice performance reason to justify to the media for letting go a former coach of the year.
Robinson was horrible in LA over 4 seasons and he lost control of a Stanley Cup team in New Jersey. He is a great hockey coach no doubt, but what good is it if he can'tmaintain a professional attitude on the team?

Francis has had seasons of 90, 90, 96 and 78 points with teams that had no reason getting those points. I can't believe people think he can't coach in the NHL.

hbk
10-08-2003, 03:38 AM
Below the media expectations??? We've been predicted to finish 15th and last in the Western Conference by The Hockey News and 30th and last in the NHL by ESPN. How much lower can the team fall below the media expectations???

local media expectations. I presume (maybe wrongly) that the local media is writing and continue to write articles focusing on the potential and positive future forecasted for this team. These articles deliver hope. Hope delivers expectations.

hbk
10-08-2003, 03:40 AM
Robinson was horrible in LA over 4 seasons and he lost control of a Stanley Cup team in New Jersey. He is a great hockey coach no doubt, but what good is it if he can'tmaintain a professional attitude on the team?

Francis has had seasons of 90, 90, 96 and 78 points with teams that had no reason getting those points. I can't believe people think he can't coach in the NHL.

Is he a veteran coach or is a developmental coach though. Our team dynamic has changed greatly over the past five years and because our focus has changed maybe the overall gameplan and style of game should change along with it. Our systems have to be internally aligned if we are to expect our players to develop properly. It's basic Human Resource Management.

CoyoteBaloney
10-08-2003, 03:47 AM
Is he a veteran coach or is a developmental coach though. Our team dynamic has changed greatly over the past five years and because our focus has changed maybe the overall gameplan and style of game should change along with it. Our systems have to be internally aligned if we are to expect our players to develop properly. It's basic Human Resource Management.
You are correct. Our team has changed over the past 5 years and I think it has changed to suit Francis' system. His system is based on speed. When Francis coached Tkachuk, it was not Francis' team. This season it is.

Hoot
10-08-2003, 04:58 AM

Robinson's coaching career has been rocky but he could be an alternative here. I say no to Slats outright. I was never a fan of Paddock's. Pat Quinn is a good coach but he is getting long in the tooth and I don't like his whiny Toronto teams. Pat Burns is just another of the usual suspects at this point.

eye
10-08-2003, 05:08 AM
Tom Rennie assistant coach in New York this year comes to mind as a progressive thinker as does Andy Murray just to name a couple. When do their contracts expire? One thing for sure Gretzky will walk away before he ever considers removing Mike Barnett as GM. The problem with hiring friends into key positions.

PhoPhan
10-08-2003, 10:42 AM

Its not that I don't think he can coach in the NHL, because he has proven that he can. However, I feel that I would rather have a different coach because our team this year is not as talented as in years past, meaning I would rather have a coach with a more exciting style of coaching. Similarly, Jacques Lemaire is a great coach, but I would want someone more exciting. That being said, I would also rather have Lemaire than Francis because I think Lemaire is a better coach (I doubt anyone will argue with me on that). Another option I'd like to throw out there is Hardy Nilsson, former team Sweden HC, and first to be credited with use of the torpedo system in international play. Sweden has always had an exciting team, and I expect this team to be built around Sjostrom, a Swede, as well. Sweden always has fast and usually big players.

Dancing Chicken
10-08-2003, 01:41 PM
The big reason I dislike Booby is not that hes a boaring coach (he is) but hes lost his team.. Maybe with all the new paces he can find some new buttons to push.. Hardy Nilsson would be great but I do not think he would come over..

Matzel
10-08-2003, 05:34 PM
...Another option I'd like to throw out there is Hardy Nilsson, former team Sweden HC...Sweden has always had an exciting team, and I expect this team to be built around Sjostrom, a Swede, as well..

Could you name a few non-north-american head coaches, who have had real success in the NHL?! I think that suggestion is VERY hypothetical.

PhoPhan
10-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Could you name a few non-north-american head coaches, who have had real success in the NHL?! I think that suggestion is VERY hypothetical.

How many non-north american coaches have there been period? Just because it hasn't happened yet does not mean it cannot happen. Until a few years ago, everyone always said a European goalie could not win a cup, then Hasek came and did it, and he may do it again this year. The thing is that one of the toughest parts of being a coach in the NHL is the language barrier, because an English speaking coach can usually only speak English, and his players are predominantly English speaking as well. In Sweden, I understand that the vast majority speak fluent English as well as Swedish, among other languages, making the language barrier weaker. This is all obviously hypothetical, but an innovator like Nilsson deserves a shot.

hbk
10-08-2003, 05:53 PM
How many non-north american coaches have there been period? Just because it hasn't happened yet does not mean it cannot happen. Until a few years ago, everyone always said a European goalie could not win a cup, then Hasek came and did it, and he may do it again this year. The thing is that one of the toughest parts of being a coach in the NHL is the language barrier, because an English speaking coach can usually only speak English, and his players are predominantly English speaking as well. In Sweden, I understand that the vast majority speak fluent English as well as Swedish, among other languages, making the language barrier weaker. This is all obviously hypothetical, but an innovator like Nilsson deserves a shot.

have to agree. there have been two by my count (one in Chicago, and one in Pittsburgh). As long as the candidate can clearly communicate with his players and the Coyotes can reasonably accomodate any language barriers I don't have a problem with it. Peter Forsberg's dad is a name I'd like to throw into the ring. I beleive he coached the Team Swedan to their gold medal at the Olympics.

Matzel
10-08-2003, 06:47 PM
PhoPhan, I know what you are saying. I am not generally against a Euro coach (heck, I am from Europe!). There are certainly a few talented guys over there. All I am saying is, that it is not likely going to happen:

We are probabaly talking about the 'near future', when discussing BF' replacement. Also, me thinks Wayner might have an old buddy in mind for the job, when it does become available. He's been bringing in people from his hockey past for pretty well every job, so far.

PhoPhan
10-09-2003, 11:26 AM
have to agree. there have been two by my count (one in Chicago, and one in Pittsburgh). As long as the candidate can clearly communicate with his players and the Coyotes can reasonably accomodate any language barriers I don't have a problem with it. Peter Forsberg's dad is a name I'd like to throw into the ring. I beleive he coached the Team Swedan to their gold medal at the Olympics.

I am not totally sure, but is Robbie Ftorek North American?

The Viking
10-09-2003, 12:07 PM
I am not totally sure, but is Robbie Ftorek North American?

I believe he was born stateside, not sure where but he is definitely North American.