Top 7 D Decided?

Darth Vitale
10-07-2003, 08:56 AM
I was taking a look at the "Players" link on the Pens' site today and notice Baumer still isn't listed on the defensive corps yet. He's clearly one of the top 7 defensive talents on the team before ever stepping on the ice. He's probably a top 4 or 5 without stepping on the ice in fact... no amazing feat on this team I realize, but...

...has anyone heard who the final 7 are? All the cuts have been made, right? Considering we're three days from opening night I would think so, but I don't follow the press releases that close.

Also: do you guys think we're in a situation where the bottom 2 or 3 D are going to get juggled back and forth with guys from WBS the first 30 games or so? Lupy, Scud, etc? Musical 5, 6 and 7?

Koltsov71
10-07-2003, 09:09 AM
Tarnstrom, Berehowsky, Melichar, Orpik, Baumgartner, Focht, Bergevin.

Big McLargehuge
10-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Rozsival is still on the roster but is out for two months, Baumgartner will be replacing him.

Darth Vitale
10-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys. When you say Baumer is replacing him, do you mean he'll be paired with Josef, or just that he'll get shuffled into the D lineup? Is Mely healthy again after his shoulder deal earlier in camp / making and taking hits?

Big McLargehuge
10-07-2003, 10:28 AM
dunno, probably just placed into the roster.

I'd like to see him with Melichar though.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-07-2003, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Orpik play with Melichar. Maybe they could play against other teams' top lines?

The Tang
10-07-2003, 11:54 AM
well, Baumer is more offensive, so i can see him being placed with melichar who really has no offense at all.

Darth Vitale
10-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Tarnstrom - Orpik
Baumer - Melichar
Berehowsky - Focht
Bergevin
?

Koltsov71
10-07-2003, 12:50 PM
I'd say more like this:

Tarnstrom -- Berehowsky
Melichar -- Baumgartner
Orpik -- Bergevin

Extra: Focht

But.. who knows.

Pensfan66
10-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Focht will be in the top six and Bergy will be a healthy scratch most of the time.

Koltsov71
10-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Bergy will be a healthy scratch most of the time.

That was the plan last year too.

Pensfan66
10-07-2003, 06:12 PM
That was the plan last year too.
Well now hopefully we will be healthy enough to use that plan.

The Tang
10-07-2003, 07:14 PM
i dont think Bergevin should be playing ahead of Focht. Focht has more upside to him. though if Bergevin does play, i do think it should be with Orpik.

Darth Vitale
10-08-2003, 06:40 AM
You guys don't think we'll pair our D such that each balances off offensively vs. physically? That was my mindset when I made those pairs.

Tarnstrom is our #1D all-around, and best on PP - pair with young guy who is much more oriented towards physical play, but who will be our #1 hard-nosed D eventually.

Melichar is our #2D all-around, but not offensive-minded - pair with Baumer who is offensive minded and a big guy to boot. Plus, you replace Roszival until such time as he comes back ready to play.

Berehowsky-Focht is more or less a crap shoot, but the former does have some experience over Focht and might help him to avoid some "rookie type" mistakes.

I think Bergevin will be #7. The guy should be retired....

The Tang
10-08-2003, 06:47 AM
You guys don't think we'll pair our D such that each balances off offensively vs. physically? That was my mindset when I made those pairs.

Tarnstrom is our #1D all-around, and best on PP - pair with young guy who is much more oriented towards physical play, but who will be our #1 hard-nosed D eventually.

Melichar is our #2D all-around, but not offensive-minded - pair with Baumer who is offensive minded and a big guy to boot. Plus, you replace Roszival until such time as he comes back ready to play.

Berehowsky-Focht is more or less a crap shoot, but the former does have some experience over Focht and might help him to avoid some "rookie type" mistakes.

that was my thinking with hte lines: physical/stay at home with offensive partner. also, Bergevin is still playing at a decent level of skill since he's apparently a conditioning freak. plus, hes a veery good leader, a prankster and huge joker. he rarely quoted on something w/o making a joke. he'll be good for teaching orpik and Focht.

Darth Vitale
10-08-2003, 07:01 AM
Oh, no question he's good in the locker room. But he's got no legs anymore; easily burned on odd-man rushes because he's slow compared to most forwards out there.

My question is, if he has so much to teach and is so good in the room, why not make the guy a defensive coach (after this season)?

Mr. T
10-08-2003, 07:16 AM

But who will Mario play cards with on those long road trips?

Darth Vitale
10-08-2003, 07:33 AM
A valid and astute observation... gotta have your priorities in line!

:D

The Tang
10-08-2003, 07:51 AM
My question is, if he has so much to teach and is so good in the room, why not make the guy a defensive coach (after this season)?

because players will play for as lon as they can. bergevin has never been a great d-man, so its not like he will be an embarassment to what he once was. he'll hang on as long as possible. i dont think coaching is out of the question in a few years though.