Whitney

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-07-2003, 09:52 AM
What is his upside on offence? I havn't heard anywhere what kind of points he could get in the NHL. Also, who does he most play like?

AEKaki
10-07-2003, 05:37 PM
What is his upside on offence? I havn't heard anywhere what kind of points he could get in the NHL. Also, who does he most play like?

We don't know either. He's 1-2 years away from the NHL.
He scores, but he is a solid defensive presence. Maybe like a poor Derian Hatcher although you always never if he becomes as good as him or better. But I remember that Draft Day. I was hoping for Pittsburgh to swap picks with the Bolts as we can and get a guy by the name of Pitkanen.

jmelm
10-07-2003, 07:04 PM
I've seen Whitney play about 4 or 5 times. He is the total package. I think Hatcher is a bad comparison because Hatcher is a stay-at-home defensive dman who has bad foot speed and is a monster physically.

Whitney, on the other hand, skates like the wind. He is not quite Bouwmeester, but he is not far off, and is actually considered a better skater than Pitkanen.

Physically, he is a huge kid that likes to take the body, especially along the boards. He may not be a vicious open-ice hitter, but he is definitely a physical pressence and will not look out of place with guys like Melichar, Orpik and Welch, physically. He is far from a softy.

Defensively, he is pretty solid. I would say that this is the only area of his game that he needs to work on more before playing at the NHL level, whereas he is probably ready to play from an offensive point of view. He is very difficult to beat one-on-one because of his size and reach and skating ability. Sure he needs to work on d-zone coverage and making decisions in the defensive zone, but he is already a competent defensive player, and I have no issues that he will an excellent defensive defenseman in the NHL.

As far as offense, Whitney is excellent. He acts like a 4th forward and is totally capable of leading the rush. His vision on the ice is just outstandin. There was one play in particular that I saw where he had the puck along the board and sent it through about 8 bodies right on the tape of his teammate standing at the side of the net. I could not believe he could see that and make that pass. And Redline Report said in the draft preview that Whitney makes the best long range home-run pass of any defenseman in that draft, more so than Pitkanen or Bouwmeester.

He is a top-2 defenseman in the NHL. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether he puts up Gonchar type numbers, or if he puts up 40-50 points a year.

Either way, when you considering his contributions, as well as what Welch and Rozsival can bring to the table, as well as Tarnstrom, and maybe even Lupaschuk and Rouleau, we may have a VERY deep defense corps not only in terms of overall quality, but they might be the best in the NHL when it comes to point produciton from the back end.

Jacob
10-07-2003, 07:32 PM
I figure he'll finish out the season with the baby Penguins, like Malone did last year. At least if there are no contract squabbles.

john g
10-08-2003, 02:12 AM
having seen Whitney quite a few times, he reminds me of Bret Hedican to be honest. real smooth and good skating, has offensive talent but he is slightly more physical than Bret

Der Schweinehund
10-08-2003, 03:18 AM
having seen Whitney quite a few times, he reminds me of Bret Hedican to be honest. real smooth and good skating, has offensive talent but he is slightly more physical than Bret

In reading many opinions and accounts of Whitney as well as my limited experience watching him live (last years' WJC), in addition to the accounts of Noah Welch's potential and development - I certainly am intrigued to a possible twin-towers pairing of Whitney and Welch.

If Rosy and Melichar get and stay healthy, I certainly see them progressing and being in the long term future of the team. What we see/hear of Welch and Whitney is promising. Orpik's time is now and should be fine. Then add in the big positives we saw from Bissonette and Lupaschuk thus far. Damn - this has strong potential to develop into one hell of a defensive unit. Then add in Fleury behind it. :yo:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Yeah, if the top defence prospects live up to theier potential, it will just be SCARY! :bow:

Jacob
10-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Orpik turned pro after his junior year as well.

Alex Kovalev
10-08-2003, 01:35 PM
From what I heard, Whitney could be a 40+ pt guy one day. I would be happy with 25-35 pts, especially after all his hype.

Proffessor G DIDDY
10-08-2003, 01:38 PM
25-30 points I would want 50 points for a top 5 d men. A lot of scouts says he's in between a Derek Morris and Sergei Gonchar. Hopefully he is at the Gonchar end of things. Gonchar and Stevens got to be the two most underrated defensemen in the league.

JJ24
10-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Whitney spent half a season injured and then trying to do too much last year. At the World Junior Champions, he was a force and then had a very solid second half for BU. He worked hard this summer and folks who have seen him expect a breakout season. But judge for yourself. BU will have at least 19 games on TV this season, including several on the new CSTV outlet. You need DirecTV or a bar that gets it to see the games.

Here's one to circle--Nov. 25. BU (Whitney) vs. Harvard (Welch).
The full schedule with TV games noted: http://www.bu.edu/athletics/icehockey/2003-04/stats/03-04-radio-tv.pdf

No Quarter
10-09-2003, 05:03 PM
I've heard him compared to a young Brian Leetch before.

chum
10-10-2003, 01:15 AM
when i hear what people say about whitney, i think of what i heard about bryan allen.

jmelm
10-10-2003, 06:20 AM
I wouldn't expect too much from Whitney. He was a #5 pick, but in a very weak draft. I've heard Kyle Woodlief say that he would have been taken near then of of the first rouind this year.

Kyle Woodlief is not the be all and end of of opinions. He is just one scout, and he has been dead wrong about some things before. For example, in the 1999 draft issue he stated that Ross Lupaschuk was a great defensive prospect who would never be known for his offense but will be extremely reliable defensively.

I also remember hearing Kevin Lowe last year say on Pensnet that Ryan Whitney will be a top-2 defenseman in the NHL.

Weather Ryan Whitney becomes an elite number 1 defenseman or a solid #2 guy remains to be seen, but there is no question he will play in the NHL for a long time.

Jacob
10-10-2003, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't expect too much from Whitney. He was a #5 pick, but in a very weak draft. I've heard Kyle Woodlief say that he would have been taken near then of of the first rouind this year.
No, it's because he had the ankle injury.