Jokinen Named Captain, Bednar Sent Down

Mogo
10-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Olli Jokinen Named Panthers Team Captain

SUNRISE, Fla. The Florida Panthers announced Tuesday that C Olli Jokinen has been named as the team's captain. He becomes the first team captain since Pavel Bure, who led the Panthers during the 2001-02 season.

"It is definitely an honor to be named captain of the Panthers," Jokinen said. "Over my last three years with the team, I have learned a lot and I am now ready to take charge and be one of the players that the guys look up to in the locker room."

In addition, Florida Panthers General Manager Rick Dudley announced the Panthers have assigned RW Jaroslav Bednar to San Antonio (AHL).

----

Doesnt this mean Bednar is on waivers??

Takkie
10-07-2003, 11:48 AM
I think odelein should have been named captain. i just hope the captainship doesnt stunt his development like it has done to some young players.

Chaos2k7
10-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Olli Jokinen Named Panthers Team Captain

SUNRISE, Fla. The Florida Panthers announced Tuesday that C Olli Jokinen has been named as the team's captain. He becomes the first team captain since Pavel Bure, who led the Panthers during the 2001-02 season.

"It is definitely an honor to be named captain of the Panthers," Jokinen said. "Over my last three years with the team, I have learned a lot and I am now ready to take charge and be one of the players that the guys look up to in the locker room."

In addition, Florida Panthers General Manager Rick Dudley announced the Panthers have assigned RW Jaroslav Bednar to San Antonio (AHL).

----

Doesnt this mean Bednar is on waivers??

I don't think the players that were left exposed in the waiver draft and were left unclaimed had to clear waivers before they were sent down.

I believe the draft in this case acted as if they were on waivers and had cleared.

Am I wrong? I don't think so, but...

:bow:

PantherboyHTR
10-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Jokinen was the best choice for Captain. He is our best leader.

The assistants are still Nilson and Kozlov right?

beermonkey
10-07-2003, 12:40 PM

I would think Odelien would have a A, but I dont see taking one away from marcus or viktor

Rattrick
10-07-2003, 12:59 PM
While I think Odelien deserved a letter, true leaders don't need any material presence to state what they do. Congrats Ollie :yo:

woody
10-07-2003, 01:01 PM
I don't think the players that were left exposed in the waiver draft and were left unclaimed had to clear waivers before they were sent down.

I believe the draft in this case acted as if they were on waivers and had cleared.

Am I wrong? I don't think so, but...

:bow:
you are right, there is a time clause if that player stays will the NHL team for a period of time then he would have too clear waivers again. I have no idea of the length period though.

Jeff Shafer
10-07-2003, 01:13 PM
congrats rolly polly olli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :handclap: :handclap:

FlaPanthers7
10-07-2003, 01:57 PM

There can be 3 A's right? I'd think Odelein would get the 3rd Assistant. :dunno:

Ollie deserved this though. He is a leader on the ice and well respected in the locker room. He's not afraid to speak up either. Hopefully he won't suffer the captaincy curse!!! Go Ollie!!! :lol:

PanthersRule96
10-07-2003, 02:55 PM
WTF, Bednar over Mc Donald and Ritchie and Novo. He had a stellar preseason. I don't get this.

Heimy
10-07-2003, 03:03 PM
WTF, Bednar over Mc Donald and Ritchie and Novo. He had a stellar preseason. I don't get this.

I do.

Find the euro in this picture. :rolleyes:

justapantherfan
10-07-2003, 03:50 PM
While I think Odelien deserved a letter, true leaders don't need any material presence to state what they do. Congrats Ollie :yo:

That is a true statement and a perfect example of a letter. No letter is needed to for anyone to be a letter.

Desert Panther
10-07-2003, 03:54 PM
There can be 3 A's right? I'd think Odelein would get the 3rd Assistant. :dunno:

Ollie deserved this though. He is a leader on the ice and well respected in the locker room. He's not afraid to speak up either. Hopefully he won't suffer the captaincy curse!!! Go Ollie!!! :lol:

I believe a team is allowed no more than one captain, and no more than 3 letters. Since we didn't have anyone wearing the "C", we were allowed 3 "A's".

Olli is the best choice though. The only reason I wouldn't select Odie for captain is bacuse he hasn't been here long enough. Give him an "A" and either Nilson or Kozzie the other one.

Clash*
10-07-2003, 09:02 PM
you are right, there is a time clause if that player stays will the NHL team for a period of time then he would have too clear waivers again. I have no idea of the length period though.
30 days

justapantherfan
10-08-2003, 02:12 AM
The A's will be rotated between home and away. Among the likely candidates are Odelein, Viktor Kozlov, Marcus Nilson, Eric Messier, Valeri Bure, Darcy Hordichuk and Byron Ritchie.

Spiffy
10-08-2003, 02:13 AM
I always thought the "A" stood for "Alternate" not "Assistant". :dunno:
guess I've been wrong since everyone seems to say assistant...

Coolburn
10-08-2003, 02:56 AM
I always thought the "A" stood for "Alternate" not "Assistant". :dunno:
guess I've been wrong since everyone seems to say assistant...I've always believed that same thing. So I think we'll need some clarification. Some people just get more comfortable saying assistant but I still think the original meaning was alternate. If I had time right now, I'd look it up.

sveiglar
10-08-2003, 03:25 AM
I've always believed that same thing. So I think we'll need some clarification. Some people just get more comfortable saying assistant but I still think the original meaning was alternate. If I had time right now, I'd look it up.

You're both right; A is for Alternate captain.

http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule14.html