Final roster set, Taffe reassigned

rbrooks
10-07-2003, 02:51 PM
The Phoenix Coyotes assigned center Jeff Taffe to Springfield of the American Hockey League and placed center Mike Sillinger on the injured reserve.

TaffeFan
10-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Well it looks like another stupid decision by the coyotes organization. Taffe isnt going to get where he wants to be by playing at Springfield. I know Jeff doesnt like the head coach of the coyotes. I talked to his dad about that. If they do what they did to him last year(sending him back and fourth from club to club) then they are just making it really hard on him to be productive. He will go to springfield and dominate. They are retarted!! The coyotes sucked last year and they need to make roster moves to get young players on the ice to develop not has been veterens. And this offseason they decide to get rid of teppo?? and pick up another center to add to our cluster of centers.. When what we need is defense. Taffe is a sniper. All he needs is the confidence. How can you get confidence when your being shuffled around like a girl on van buran.... I should have stayed in minnesota.. They can win without a superstar

roadrunner
10-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Sorry Taffefan, I can understand your frustration. Not sure they had a choice, because we have a glut of forwards and like you said, not alot of D. Here's hoping Taffe does all he can to make management keep him on when the opportunity arises! Meanwhile, he will be Springfield's best forward, I'll bet. No shame in that.

Chris L
10-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Taffe level has nothing to do with it, it's a number issue. There are only 23 players in a roster. Any other forward would have to clear waivers before being sent down. So it was the only way for the Coyotes to keep their assets. And it's better for Taffe to play on the 1st line in Springfield than to watch games from the stands in Phoenix or to play on the 4th line. Anyway he will be the 1st call-up when injuries come.

CoyoteBaloney
10-08-2003, 04:10 AM
Guys, I dont understand the surprise of this. The Coyotes have fixed this season in such a way to have the depth to keep the prospects playing through next year's work stopage (if there is one) in Springfield. Was this demotion really a surprise??? I hope not.

hbk
10-08-2003, 04:32 AM
I like Jeff Taffe. I think he will be a very good NHL player but we all knew this was how it was going to skake down. We have some fairly good depth up front and there would be great debate as to whether Taffe would be better served playing 10 minutes a game on the fourth line or 20 minutes per game at the AHL level. Once Savage goes down with injury the point is moot anyways because Taffe will then be given a real opportunity to stick with the team. Right now I'm not upset that he's down on the farm helping that team make the playoffs (which should be a priority) and developing chemistry with other prospects like Sjostrom. This isn't a doom and gloom announcement. It's a be patient because the rewards are coming announcement. Taffe will be on the big team just give management and lady luck time to make it so.

Hoot
10-08-2003, 05:41 AM
Guys, I dont understand the surprise of this. The Coyotes have fixed this season in such a way to have the depth to keep the prospects playing through next year's work stopage (if there is one) in Springfield. Was this demotion really a surprise??? I hope not.

This is a good plan and one of the reasons I'm still fairly optimistic about the future. The stoppage (if there is one) could be a blessing in disguise. Still it is understandable if Taffe isn't too happy about the prospect of playing two more seasons in the AHL.

eye
10-08-2003, 06:16 AM
Well it looks like another stupid decision by the coyotes organization. Taffe isnt going to get where he wants to be by playing at Springfield. I know Jeff doesnt like the head coach of the coyotes. I talked to his dad about that. If they do what they did to him last year(sending him back and fourth from club to club) then they are just making it really hard on him to be productive. He will go to springfield and dominate. They are retarted!! The coyotes sucked last year and they need to make roster moves to get young players on the ice to develop not has been veterens. And this offseason they decide to get rid of teppo?? and pick up another center to add to our cluster of centers.. When what we need is defense. Taffe is a sniper. All he needs is the confidence. How can you get confidence when your being shuffled around like a girl on van buran.... I should have stayed in minnesota.. They can win without a superstar

I understand and share your concerns over the way Jeff has been handles almost from the beginning of last season and I have posted those concerns a couple of times previously. Not wise to quote your friend on this board IMO. Jeff will eventually overcome what's happened. He will benefit from playing in the AHL and someday another NHL organization will likely benefit from his development time here. The Teppo deal was the worst decision mgt. made this past summer. Bringing in Sillinger made zero sense and not only did he take Jeff's roster spot we got nothing in return to help us in 3-5 years when hopefully this team is in a better position to challenge for the Cup.

eye
10-08-2003, 06:27 AM

I have tried over and over again to think this one through CT and have concluded that your analogy doesn't make good sense. If players deserve to be up bring them up, if they are on 2 way contracts my understanding is that they can still play in Springfield next year. If they are on 1 way NHL contracts they won't want to play in Springfield next year. I think the fact Goodenow and Bettman have already talked is a positive sign. Although they won't admit it publicly they won't want to give the revived WHA bid a lifeline by having a prolonged lock out. Our prospects may not be ready plain and simple but I no longer agree that it's the CBA as to why they are playing in Springfield and not Phoenix. My last reason for disagreeing with you is that many of our prospects will develop at our expense and then end up benefiting another NHL org. as they could turn bitter. They are all on short term contracts that are running even during a work stoppage and each day brings them closer to signing with another team if they believe they were not given opportunity by BF and MB here.

You will be happy to know I'm off on holidays for a week so you can respond without fear of a flamefest. Talk to you in 7 days.

CoyoteBaloney
10-08-2003, 10:17 AM
If Taffe plays too many games this season he will not be able to be sent back down to Springfield. If the NHL losses next season and Taffe is left sitting around not playing his progression as an NHLer is not just stagnated, but regressed.

Hoot
10-08-2003, 10:22 AM
If Taffe plays too many games this season he will not be able to be sent back down to Springfield. If the NHL losses next season and Taffe is left sitting around not playing his progression as an NHLer is not just stagnated, but regressed.

If there is a prolonged lockout the young players should take a serious look at playing in Europe like Yzerman, Fleury et al did during the last lockout.

10-08-2003, 11:08 AM
If there is a prolonged lockout the young players should take a serious look at playing in Europe like Yzerman, Fleury et al did during the last lockout.

I think that is somewhat what you saw this year with several players going to Europe to play rather than the NHL, or while their contracts were being settled.