TSN ranks us last in the East

AEKaki
10-07-2003, 06:55 PM
I watched the 2-hour preview show on TSN tonight and the Penguins were #15 in the East (Habs being #14 but almost the same)...

Also some very harsh words from Pierre McGuire.
You know what, I like him until today as an analyst, but these remarks pist me off.

Instead of saying, this team has a bunch of unproven talent and no experience, he instead shoves a knife in the team by saying that the team has done just bad the past years for no reason and will just suck.

I honestly don't think we will finish last in the East. And I am not saying this because I'm a pens fan. This team is better talent wise then at least Montreal, Atlanta (with Heatley out especially), Caroline (who are ranked 7 or 8th?!?!?!?! by TSN)...

But McGuire's words were once again something like "My good friend Mario is wasting his time playing for a team that will stink all season".

Trully a guy that knows nothing about young players.

The Tang
10-07-2003, 07:11 PM
yeah, those are a-hole, if not unprofessional remarks. we may stink but we have a bunch of young guys who most assume will flop, which is a large basis of their thinking. if heatley is gone, atlanta is in a lot of trouble. I dont think Carolina will be as bad as last year, but 8? no way. im getting tired of the Pens being **** on the whole time.

AEKaki
10-07-2003, 07:16 PM
yeah, those are a-hole, if not unprofessional remarks. we may stink but we have a bunch of young guys who most assume will flop, which is a large basis of their thinking. if heatley is gone, atlanta is in a lot of trouble. I dont think Carolina will be as bad as last year, but 8? no way. im getting tired of the Pens being **** on the whole time.

especially because we have guys like Koltsov and Orpik and ... who will just make this team better... fleury too.

Proffessor G DIDDY
10-07-2003, 07:27 PM
I reckon that Prediction will probably come true at the end of the season, but at least they'll play pretty well for the first games. Then once Mario is out we go down with him.

And as if we have better talent than Montreal, Atlanta, Carolina.

Believe me Montreal will do well, they're gonna get Koivu back soon and once he's back the Habs will probably secure a lower playoff spot. They are a lot tougher and a lot of their line have already jelled in camp. Carolina have improved their bad defense, Markov etc, and get most of their forwards back from injury, they all have more skill with Vrbata and Staal. Atlanta even though they lost Heatley and Synder, Kovalchuck, Savard, McEachren and Kozlov can produce some offense not to mention Piros, who scored a hat trick on his first game. PLus Hartley has a young defense that he can mould and Lehtonen in goal

tom_servo
10-07-2003, 07:37 PM
There are big surprises every year. Rosters change. There are no scripts.

Last season, San Jose was picked to contend for the Cup, while Tampa Bay was picked to toil in the cellar.

The vast majority of NHL analysts have no more insight on this season's outcome than any of us do.

tom_servo
10-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Atlanta looks pretty weak. Their roster doesn't look much better than ours, if at all. But the coaching staff, on both teams, will be the X-factor.

Unholy Diver
10-07-2003, 07:54 PM
at least the only way to go is up now

Jacob
10-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Instead of saying, this team has a bunch of unproven talent and no experience, he instead shoves a knife in the team by saying that the team has done just bad the past years for no reason and will just suck.

But McGuire's words were once again something like "My good friend Mario is wasting his time playing for a team that will stink all season".

Sounds about right.

Proffessor G DIDDY
10-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Atlanta looks pretty weak. Their roster doesn't look much better than ours, if at all. But the coaching staff, on both teams, will be the X-factor.

Looks can be very decieving. X-factor, believe me Hartley has bread winners every team he has coached, the Thrashers were great at the end of the season with him at coach. I really think it's STUPID how u call Hartley an X-factor, he's a proven winner now he's trying to build another winner, EDZO is way more of an X-factor than Hartley.

Der Schweinehund
10-08-2003, 02:12 AM
The funny thing is that I watched it and despite being completely anti-McGuire through-and-through in nature, I didn't take it that badly. My impression was "thanks for the obvious." The overall take on the Pens was that of a team that has been blessed over the last few years with a who's who of superstars into that of a "who's that?" of unknowns. Let's take a look at this in the bigger picture - they are a "who's that?" of unknowns to most except Penguin fans. The Pens young guns, apart from Fleury, just are not publicly touted or known. Ostensively, that is because most Pen knowlege centers around their financial state of being, overshadowing the hockey operations.

McGuire (like Greg Millen) are simply wannabe Don Cherry's, known for 30 second shock critiques of all things great and small.

The other TSN personalities such as McKenzie, Hodge, and Miller lament the downfall of the Pens, but also echo "...when you have Mario Lemieux - anything can happen..."

Of course I find it rather ironic to see criticism here of TSN for lack of "decent thought." Pot...Kettle...black...anyone?

And please - "in 10 years of watching that crap channel" - haven't yet found the remote in the last 10 years to be able to change the channel eh?

Koltsov71
10-08-2003, 04:11 AM
And please - "in 10 years of watching that crap channel" - haven't yet found the remote in the last 10 years to be able to change the channel eh?

You always beat me to it! :lol:

RyanM
10-08-2003, 04:30 AM
The Pens just flat out suck folks.

Look at how much experience you have AFTER Mario Lemieux. Not after his line, but just after him.

Your D might be worst in the league(Phoenix's is also pretty bad). And in goal you have Caron who had a solid season last year but nothing to convince anyone he's an elite #1 and Fleury, an 18yr old rookie who will have some growing pains.

Montreal will finish ahead of the Pens. They dont have a lot of depth but Koivu, Audette, Zednik, Perrault, Bulis, Sundstrom and even if Theodore is good but not great it'll keep them ahead of the Penguins.

Carolina? Possibly one of the top defense groups in the league. Hill, Hedican, Wesley, Markov, Ward, Wallin and a solid forward group in front of Weekes who is no worse then either Pittsburgh goalie right now.

Atlanta I can see, especially with all the problems now, but sometimes they bring a team closer together. They're not better then Pittsburgh, but they are also not much worse.

At least you'll have a shot at Ovechkin.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-08-2003, 04:52 AM
I think we will finish at best 12th. I fully expect the pens to have a lot of injuries this year, it has already started (Rozsival). I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but.....

The Tang
10-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Your D might be worst in the league(Phoenix's is also pretty bad).

Montreal will finish ahead of the Pens. They dont have a lot of depth but Koivu, Audette, Zednik, Perrault, Bulis, Sundstrom and even if Theodore is good but not great it'll keep them ahead of the Penguins.

1) thats what was thought about the wild, and look how far tehy got. i'm not saying we'll do the same, but you never know what will happen.

2) i'm not sure i would call Audette depth as he played half the season in the minors last year

3) our d may be bad, but it is far superior to what we had last year.

Darth Vitale
10-08-2003, 06:53 AM
I think they might finish as high as 10th or 12th if they can learn to play together / play stingy D. But that's asking a lot of a bunch of kids and a few old men. I think 14th will be the lucky number.

As for Carolina, I don't know *why* people think they're going to be a crummy team again. They have a lot of talent, all their bad injuries from last year are mended, and the goalie situation is clear now. They're going to be *solid*. Wouldn't be surprised if they finished 3rd in the East, winning their division. Otherwise, probably 5th or 6th. Barring injury, they're not missing the playoffs. The East is weak once you get past Ottawa, Philly and Toronto.

Weird thing about TSN... their web site has better / more thorough coverage than does ESPN (amazing accomplishment...not), but their on-aire stuff is just sad. Even as an American I figured that out during my first season's worth of "between period updates". Sportsnet West has much better / more insightful on-aire commentary. CBC is good for only one thing: Don Cherry!

:yo: What a clown that guy is. Even if you don't like him, he's fun to watch.

Der Schweinehund
10-08-2003, 08:59 AM
CBC is good for only one thing: Don Cherry!

The second intermission Satellite Hotstove can be great too - when John Davidson and Al Strachan are on together it makes for the best cat fights.

Additionally, listening the Neale and Cole struggle their way through their growing senility is entertaining. While funny, it's also sad to see the legends fade.

Just be thankful that you don't get Joe Bowen locally to you. When a person's only known catch-phrase is "Holy Mackinaw" - they have problems.

Evilo
10-08-2003, 10:37 AM
McGuire has always been an ass, and has always had an anti-Pens bias.
I remember each year in the playoffs, he was saying the Penguins would lose in each round, because they had nothing to do there. Then series after series, he still preicted them as losers in any matchup saying they were lucky the series before.
That guys is an *******.

kutdacheez
10-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Maybe the numbers on the remote are in Italian? :dunno: :rolleyes:

Rowsdower
10-08-2003, 11:26 AM
There are big surprises every year. Rosters change. There are no scripts.

Last season, San Jose was picked to contend for the Cup, while Tampa Bay was picked to toil in the cellar.

The vast majority of NHL analysts have no more insight on this season's outcome than any of us do.

Agreed.....hopefully the Pens are one of the big suprises this year.

LaLaLaprise
10-08-2003, 12:37 PM
TSN SUCKS . That is one thing that i have learned in 10 years of watching that crap channel.

Sportsnet has my respect over some east coast crap like that tsn monkey piss.

I put the pens at 9th place if they keep straka, 12th if they trade him at the deadline.

Also if everyone stays healthy...like that'll EVER happen.

Could you be anymore Bias?

Your defense is led by Dick Tarnstrom. You have essentially 3 rookie goalies.

Youd need Colorado's offense to make the playoffs.

Der Schweinehund
10-08-2003, 12:38 PM

Yeah - he does have something odd for them. I am almost tempted to say that it might be sour grapes for not getting a head coaching shot after Bowman left.

Despite the bias it's amazing how he plays off his 'intimate' knowlege of all things Penguin because he was an assistant coach there. The thing that got me totally convinced he was a dumbass actually happend 3 or 4 years ago when he was on TSN and made some really retarded comment like (to paraphrase) "...no one knows Bowman like I know him..."

Actually it was funny that during the Maple Leafs GM "hunt" this summer, a lot of media people were almost religious in their preaching that McGuire should be considered for the job. These were the same media people who also felt Craig Button brought tons of valuable experience as well. My god - I was praying for a co-GM tandem of Button and McGuire. That would have been the funniest damn thing I would have ever seen.

The Tang
10-08-2003, 12:45 PM
I remember each year in the playoffs, he was saying the Penguins would lose in each round, because they had nothing to do there. Then series after series, he still preicted them as losers in any matchup saying they were lucky the series before.
That guys is an *******.
i've noticed that a lot with barry melrose on espn. he seems to berate us evrey chance he gets.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Did anyone notice that they picked Owen Nolan to play in the World Cup Of Hockey? :dunno: What do some people get their idias from? I also liked the part when Dave Hodge asked the leafs g.m. what year he was born, and he said '67. So if they have a g.m. born the same year they last won the cup, some supernatural power will come into the team and win the cup for them? Because they sure won't win it by themselves! (And yes, I can't STAND Toronto! :madfire:

RyanM
10-08-2003, 08:24 PM
Did i miss something? When did Sundstrom and Audette become depth players..did we watch the same nhl last year?

I believe they've proved more in the past then anything the Pens have past their top line. Audette has been hot and cold throughout his career, Sundstrom is a useful 2 way player. Both and good but not great DEPTH players if used right.

Oh and I hate the Habs btw

Evilo
10-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Could you be anymore Bias?

Your defense is led by Dick Tarnstrom. You have essentially 3 rookie goalies.

Youd need Colorado's offense to make the playoffs.
hmm who are the three rookie goalies?

As for Tarnstrom, how many teams are led by a top 15 Dmen scorer?

And we plan on playing a type of trap. Compare our team to Minnesota. We don't look worse on paper. And we have Mario to boot.

Spiffy
10-08-2003, 09:57 PM
The Pens IMO can not do anything else than benefit from being underdogs.

The pens always do better than they should, last years 20 first games gave us playoff hope with that brilliant powerplay. I am pretty sure that something is going to light up the dark in the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania pretty soon.

Yammer
10-08-2003, 10:01 PM
The Pens have been bad before, and wound up being bad enough to grab the Magnificent One. Thanks to Mario, the team will be classy and entertaining to watch, even in a loss -- which, if Ovechkin pans out as predicted, is ultimately a good thing.

On paper, the Pens ARE a weak team -- robbed of its proven players, it has talent but no experience, as you say. Now, all of those young guys in crucial roles would have to pan out, and they never ALL pan out.

That said, you might have a player with an individual trophy (Calder), so, all in all, you Pens fans are in for an interesting year, well worth following.

The Tang
10-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Cut hm some slack. Poor Pierre, he has to work under the handicap of actually having been an NHL scout and coach. Unlike you who has lots of experience making posts to message boards.
because everyone has jusdged you one making knowledgable coometns and analyses right? please. :rolleyes:
i'm willing to bet we have been following the pens more since the summer than he has as we are exposed to all the local media and those that have been to practices. way to leave a ton of wholes in your argument again.

Robert Paulson*
10-09-2003, 12:21 PM
"TSN ranks us last in the East"

Somehow this doesn't surprise me. Has any preview ranked us anywhere but last? http://hfboards.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Darth Vitale
10-09-2003, 12:46 PM
The second intermission Satellite Hotstove can be great too - when John Davidson and Al Strachan are on together it makes for the best cat fights.

Yep. I had forgotten about the Hotstove. Not too bad some nights.

Just be thankful that you don't get Joe Bowen locally to you. When a person's only known catch-phrase is "Holy Mackinaw" - they have problems.

:lol: