Question to NJ fans.

Birko19
10-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Since you guys follow NJ, you should know more about your players, I picked Gionta and Rafalski in my yahoo 1-year fantasy league, my question is, what do you guys think their point totals will be like this year? will Gionta pass 40 points? and what line is he playing in? as for Rafalski, will he pass 40 points again this year? and I assume he's NJ's #2 defender right?

Thanks in advance

Tbg1515
10-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Since you guys follow NJ, you should know more about your players, I picked Gionta and Rafalski in my yahoo 1-year fantasy league, my question is, what do you guys think their point totals will be like this year? will Gionta pass 40 points? and what line is he playing in? as for Rafalski, will he pass 40 points again this year? and I assume he's NJ's #2 defender right?

Thanks in advance

In my mind Gionta will problably have around 25-30 points, and Rafalski could have in my mind 50-55 points i have a feeling he'll break out.

Good luck with your team

I Hate Tie DOMI
10-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Gionta will get around 30 points.
Rafalski will get around 40 points.

I don't see this team scoring many goals, so I'm not expecting much points from anyone.

Blackjack
10-07-2003, 07:03 PM
It's always a risk to pick Devils in fantasy leagues. That being said I think Rafalski should be good for around 40-45 points, but Gionta is a real wildcard. I'd say, if he gets off to a fast start, hang on to him, I could see him scoring 25 goals and 55 points, but if he's inconsistant, hanging around on the 3rd and 4th lines, and making a name for himself as a 'solid' player, I'd say 35-40 points max.

Birko19
10-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys, I picked Rafalski cause I know he can produce good points for a defender and not to mention the +/- department, Gionta on the other hand was just a sleeper, I have a feeling he could breakout and notch 50 points if he can prove himself and get a lot of ice-time on the second line maybe, I'll just have to cross my fingers for that.

Thanks guys

Unthinkable
10-07-2003, 07:59 PM
I would deal Gionta for a more proven point scorer if I were you for the sake of your team. His work doesn't show up in the scoresheets most nights. Not a knock on him the player, but as Blackjack said above its real risky picking someone like this on the Devils. He's the kind of guy who will dig and battle in the corners, create a turnover or two and then head off the ice without getting an assist when someone finally does bang one home.

Birko19
10-07-2003, 08:09 PM
I would deal Gionta for a more proven point scorer if I were you for the sake of your team. His work doesn't show up in the scoresheets most nights. Not a knock on him the player, but as Blackjack said above its real risky picking someone like this on the Devils. He's the kind of guy who will dig and battle in the corners, create a turnover or two and then head off the ice without getting an assist when someone finally does bang one home.

I'm gonna see what he'll do early in the season, if he doesn't put up some numbers, he's good as gone, but if he can prove himself, I'll hang on to him.

JimEIV
10-08-2003, 07:56 AM
I think some people are low-balling Gionta's numbers.

With the risk of sounding like a homer, look at Gionta's numbers from last season:

2002-2003 58 12 13 25

25 points in 58 games is not bad for your first real season in the NHL. Assuming he didn't get hurt last season he should have been a 30+ point player last season. If you look at his career numbers he has basically played one full season over 2 years 91 games (33 and 58) During that time he has managed to score 36 points and 3 game winning goals (or .395 points per game)

Just using that Points per game average you're talking 32 points. You've gotta assume a litte better production because of expirience and having the opportunity to play a full season. 40+ points is not out of the question for Gionta. Depending on PP time and line mates, a slight increase in production will put him in the 40 point range.