Devils vs Bruins Thread

Tbg1515
10-07-2003, 08:02 PM
First one of the year.

Finally hockey is back, i think the devils should take this one but you never know i think the lines will look like this

Elias-Gomez-Marshall
Friesen-Larionov/Rupp-Langenbrunner
Berglund/Gionta-Madden-Pandolfo
Gionta/Brylin-Rasmussen-Rupp/Larionov

Stevens-Rafalski
Hale-Nieder
White-Martin/Brown

Broduer
Shwabby

My prediction

Devils-4
Boston-1

NJ Goals--Gomez, Elias, Berglund, & Hale GW
Boston Goal-- Samsonov

Potvin 23 svs
Broduer 20 svs

Blackjack
10-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Wow, early start :handclap:

I'll go with 2-1 Devils. Niedermayer and Larionov. Thornton, Samsonov, or Murray for Boston.

Unthinkable
10-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Devils goals from Langenbrunner, Rupp, Larionov
Bruins goal from Jillson - won't be as pretty as the one he scored against NY though.

ZadorovNJD*
10-07-2003, 09:45 PM
3-0 Devils. They seem to like that score.

Brodeur
10-07-2003, 11:32 PM
According to the Post, Rupp will be scratched in favor of Rasmussen. Apparently Burns is still unhappy with Rupp's inconsistent play (wait til he sees Rasmussen for 5 games). Hale and Martin will be in tomorrow, apparently playing on the same pairing......

Friends here are having a BBQ, hopefully there's a way to watch NJ/Bos instead of Anaheim/Dallas. It'll be interesting to see what kind of effect the Red Sox game will have on the B's attendance.

dennisjs
10-08-2003, 12:41 AM
I see a 3-2 Devils loss. Goals from Madden and Gionta for Jersey. Goals from Glen Murray, Sandy McCarthy and Travis Green for Boston. I think Potvin will have a big game.

BruinsGirl
10-08-2003, 05:56 AM
I see 1-0 , 2-1 game going either way...or even a tie 1-1.

Sullivan is still playing with the lines and B's can't get into a real offensive mode...but we should see.

Here to the good season -opener!

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Our Lines Are Official:

Patrik Elias-Scott Gomez-Grant Marshall
Gionta-Igor Larionov-Christian Berglund
Jeff Friesen-Erik Rasmussen-Sergei Brylin
Pandolfo-John Madden-Jamie Langenbrunner

Stevens-Rafalski
White-Niedermayer
Hale-Martin

Very interesting lines at forward. Looks like Burns is going for a legitimate goal scorer on every line instead of the top 3. The old don't put all your eggs in one basket approach. I like the idea of a more balanced attack. Where did you find these?

Edit: Found the lines in the papers today.

Jared Ramsden
10-08-2003, 08:18 AM
Let's go for a 3-1 Devils win. Elias, Niedermayer and Gionta. Thank god the season is finally here!!!! :handclap: :yo: :handclap:

Vanya
10-08-2003, 08:28 AM
FINALLY!!!!!!

Woohoo!!

I'll be at the Fleet tonight, so look for me about four rows up in the corner with my red & black Elias jersey and the lady in the old school Terreri sweater.

I want to bring some sort of sign thanking the boys for last spring but I doubt the Fleet po-po will have any of that (let alone the fans around me) :p

3-0 Devils: Goals by Marshall (first of the year), Elias and Rafalski. Brodeur with 29 saves.

GO DEVILS!!!

NJDevils#4
10-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Our Lines Are Official:

Stevens-Rafalski
White-Niedermayer
Hale-Martin

I feel bad for Friesen. He's not going to be puting up big numbers on that line. Switch 3rd line with the 4th line. We'll see what happens.

I Hate Tie DOMI
10-08-2003, 10:50 AM
I'll say a 3-1 Devils win.

Goals from Niedermayer, Freisen, and Marshall.

We WILL score a powerplay goal.

Also my satellite dish better be working by 8pm or I'm gonna be real mad. Damn you Directv for trying to prevent those of us in Canada with your illegal satellite dishes from watching them. DAMN YOU!! :rant: :joker:

4check22
10-08-2003, 10:59 AM
3 - 1 Devils over Boston.

Nj Goals = Madden (period 1) from Pando and Stevens; Langenbrunner (period 3) from Madden and Rafalsky; and Madden (period 3 EN) from Rafalsky.

Boston Goal = Knuble (period 1) from Rolston and O'Donnell

Marty = 21 saves
Potvin = 27 saves

As you can see, I am expecting big things from Madden's line. I think that those three are going to have amazing chemistry. Makes me fearful for Friesen though. He will have trouble putting up good numbers with Rasmussen and Sarge. I think that he will move up to replace Gionta on Larionov's line. JMO.

NJDevils#4
10-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Our Lines Are Official:

Stevens-Rafalski
White-Niedermayer
Hale-Martin

Woah i just realized...where the hell is Rupp? Wow i hope he doesn't get screwed over this season.

devildan
10-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Woah i just realized...where the hell is Rupp? Wow i hope he doesn't get screwed over this season.

Rupp will eventually replace Ras (once he gets out of burns's dog house)

NJDevils#4
10-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Why the hell is the Ducks/Stars game being previewed? We better get the Devils tonight on ESPN or ESPN and the NHL officially suck.

ratsgirl
10-08-2003, 04:10 PM
holy cow those thornton sideburns are something else!

Nikkowar
10-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Why the hell is the Ducks/Stars game being previewed? We better get the Devils tonight on ESPN or ESPN and the NHL officially suck.
I just saw the Devils game here,so I think it's on. I'm gonna be cheering for you guys tonight! :yo:

NJDevils#4
10-08-2003, 04:12 PM
God damnet...I'm getting the Stars Ducks up here in Piscataway. Grr....this sucks!

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 04:14 PM
God damnet...I'm getting the Stars Ducks up here in Piscataway. Grr....this sucks!

If you have satellite check your alternate ESPN feeds. Dish Network has all 3 games on.

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 04:16 PM
holy cow those thornton sideburns are something else!

I don't know whats worse. Those sideburns or Grady Little with his head shaved.

Gator Mike
It's not just you, guys. I live 15 minutes from the FleetCenter, and they're showing Stars-Ducks here, too.

DevilFisch
DirectTV also gets all three feeds.

OK, the Devils are looking good out there in the first 4 minutes.

Aaaaand, there's the first after-the-whistle bump!

Nikkowar
10-08-2003, 04:18 PM
Don't worry,we'll tell ya what's going on here.

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 04:21 PM
This is all NJ early on. I don't even remember Boston getting a shot on goal.

NJDevils#4
10-08-2003, 04:22 PM
It's not just you, guys. I live 15 minutes from the FleetCenter, and they're showing Stars-Ducks here, too.

Good old NHL. Man they could screw up a free dinner. :madfire:

devildan
10-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Berglund-Ras-Gionta has looked great so far

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 04:27 PM
PP isn't looking so bad. Someone hit Boynton pretty good.

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 04:28 PM
"P.J Axelsson, one of the most dangerous men in the league shorthanded..."

What? Does he have a knife in his skates or something?

CREW99AW
10-08-2003, 04:32 PM

What? Does he have a knife in his skates or something?

:joker:

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 04:35 PM

What? Does he have a knife in his skates or something? Axelsson had two shorthanded goals last season to match the two he had the season before. If 4 short handed goals in 465 games over 6 seasons is one of the most dangerous men in the league killing penalties then I must be watching the wrong games here. Talk about a bit of an embellishment.

devildan
10-08-2003, 04:43 PM
More nice moves by berglund

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 04:44 PM
"Berglund needs to give a better attempt at stopping..."

Yeah, because we all know how to stop while gliding on ice after being slashed and pushed from behind.

These announcers...UGH.

ZadorovNJD*
10-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Hmm, outshooting them 13-4 after the first period, no score, 0-2 on the power play...sounds familiar

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Hmm, outshooting them 13-4 after the first period, no score, 0-2 on the power play...sounds familiar

With the terrible commentary, it's VERY familiar.

But it's only the first period.

Predatore
10-08-2003, 04:59 PM
the game is broadcasted here in Sweden..
I've been impressed by my old SEL-favorite... Christian Berglund. He skates a lot, checks hard .. and shows off some fine moves as well.
I hope he keeps it up!

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 05:02 PM
the game is broadcasted here in Sweden..
I've been impressed by my old SEL-favorite... Christian Berglund. He skates a lot, checks hard .. and shows off some fine moves as well.
I hope he keeps it up!

He's fun to watch when he's banging bodies out there. I hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder this season angry at his opponents night after night as he can stir up all kinds of madness in the crease.

ratsgirl
10-08-2003, 05:04 PM
what a gorgeous goal!

Unthinkable
Scott Niedermayer with a nice PP goal skating between Gill and Boynton. Elias gets an assist on the first Devils point of the season.

DevilFisch
NIEDERMAYER SCORES!

Through Potvin's 5-hole, too.

YEAH! 1-0 NJ!

EDIT: I just realized that was a POWER PLAY GOAL! Holy crap this goal is getting sweeter and sweeter!

(By the by, did I pick Niedermayer to score first?)

ratsgirl
10-08-2003, 05:08 PM
NIEDERMAYER SCORES!

Through Potvin's 5-hole, too.

YEAH! 1-0 NJ!

EDIT: I just realized that was a POWER PLAY GOAL! Holy crap this goal is getting sweeter and sweeter!

(By the by, did I pick Niedermayer to score first?)

you did pick niedermayer, but since you weren't first you don't get a prize. ;)

ZadorovNJD*
10-08-2003, 05:09 PM
Sweet goal. And Elias is on pace for a point a game, yes!

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Rasmussen with a nice hit on Sandy McCarthy. Faceoffs are slowly evening out.

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Sweet goal. And Elias is on pace for a point a game, yes!

He almost had himself a goal after ringing one off the post.

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Jeff Friesen on the PP. Steve Levy calling for a conspiracy after the Devils had 3 straight power plays.

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Jeff Friesen! ANOTHER POWER PLAY GOAL! WHOOOO!

2-0 Devils!

Update: Berglund's in the box. Feeling shame.

Let's hope this PK is as good as their PP so far!

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 05:27 PM
Jeff Jillson with a nice goal from way back.

Nikkowar
10-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Devils-2
Bruins-1
but I know you guys will do good!

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Argh, Brodeur, you can't DO that!

Potvin robbed Elias. SIGH.

Nikkowar
10-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Errrrrrrr......... :mad:

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 05:38 PM
WHAT HAPPENED?! HOW THE...errrrr...

2-2 after 2.

This isn't boding well.

Nikkowar
10-08-2003, 05:43 PM
You guys'll come up with this game,guys!

MattNJD
10-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Ok, one single word for Paul Martin: ALBANY! He look effing terrible!! *TERRIBLE*! Sign Albelin and get him out there. And putting Martin on the PP!?!??!!? Wow....... I hope he just has a case of the nerves!!

ZadorovNJD*
10-08-2003, 05:48 PM
Well this game went downhill in a hurry...

Nikkowar
10-08-2003, 05:50 PM
Well this game went downhill in a hurry...
yes it did.

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 06:00 PM
Yeah, the Devils PP is working...

Now there's a sentence I didn't type for last season.

All the Devils need is something to swing the momentum their way. Then they'll start shooting, and one of those shots will become a goal.

I hope.

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Devils back on the PP. Time to get another one.

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 06:09 PM
Way to make Green pay for the high stick to Marshall's throat. Potvin never even saw it. Hits Gill and goes right into the net.

Nikkowar
10-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Niedermyer!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I spelled that wrong :rant:

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 06:11 PM
I know I said one of those shots would go in, but I didn't expect THAT shot to go in. Amazing screening in front. Go Niedermayer go.

Now the Devils have scored three power play goals.

I repeat. The Devils have scored three. Power play. Goals.

I can hardly believe it too.

Nikkowar
10-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Milestone goal for Niedermayer!

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 06:17 PM
I know I said one of those shots would go in, but I didn't expect THAT shot to go in. Amazing screening in front. Go Niedermayer go.

Now the Devils have scored three power play goals.

I repeat. The Devils have scored three. Power play. Goals.

I can hardly believe it too.

:joker: :lol:

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Jillson with his 2nd from Samsonov.

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 06:25 PM
UGH. That goal SUCKED. Well, no, I mean, it snuck in there, but it still SUCKS.

Hopefully the Devils will keep with the pattern and respond with a game winning goal.

Hopefully.

Nikkowar
10-08-2003, 06:27 PM
again,I will say-ERRR!!!!!!!!!!

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 06:33 PM
What a game by Niedermayer tonight.

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Oh, that was scary. What a play by Niedermayer.

Nikkowar
10-08-2003, 06:36 PM
horrifing....this'll end in a tie,great game by both teams.
Ok,off to bed guys,see ya

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 06:37 PM
I think the Devils could have had this game. A few less penalties by NJ, and the Devils would have won, I think.

At least it's not a loss or an overtime-loss.

MattNJD
10-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Wow, Paul Martin just got worse and worse as the game went on. Just terrible tonight. Have him take the T to South Station where he can get a bus RIGHT TO ALBANY! I thought Madden looked weak as well... what on earth was he doing sliding all over the ice toward the point on that second Jillson goal?? Yikes! I did think Raz had a good game. Lots of shots out of him. Don't know what his official number was but man he gets that puck on net!! Marty looked pretty good as well. And how 'bout that PP!!! WOW!! Nice to see Igor fit in.

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 06:43 PM
I think the Devils could have had this game. A few less penalties by NJ, and the Devils would have won, I think.

At least it's not a loss or an overtime-loss.

White's little bump to McCarthy proved costly. Marginal penalty call but you want to see him standing up for Scott Gomez when he's run over. Thornton got away with a dive tonight the moment he felt Madden's stick on him.

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Wow, Paul Martin just got worse and worse as the game went on. Just terrible tonight. Have him take the T to South Station where he can get a bus RIGHT TO ALBANY! I thought Madden looked weak as well... what on earth was he doing sliding all over the ice toward the point on that second Jillson goal?? Yikes! I did think Raz had a good game. Lots of shots out of him. Don't know what his official number was but man he gets that puck on net!! Marty looked pretty good as well. And how 'bout that PP!!! WOW!! Nice to see Igor fit in.

Madden looked tired as hell late in the third. He was doing everything in his power to get back to defend against that last scoring rush with seconds left in OT. Rasmussen had a solid first game for the Devils with 3 shots and finishing even for the night. He'll need to work on his faceoffs some more along with Gomez though.

NJDevils#4
10-08-2003, 06:51 PM
I got to watch the overtime. After the Ducks game ended they put it on. Martin looked like me in my 1st game as a freshman in high school. Really, really nervous and didn't want anything to do with that black round thing. Good to see the PP clicking this early. Definately a good sign. Hale looked a bit shaky too from what I saw, but I saw very very little.

I Hate Tie DOMI
10-08-2003, 06:51 PM
We WILL score a powerplay goal.

Ok we scored 3, I was partially right. :joker:

Tbg1515
10-08-2003, 07:05 PM
Devils PP # 1 in the NHL yea baby

what a game for Scotty, Erik, Gomer, Elias,

Bad games: MARTIN............

SO-SO games: Marty didnt have his usual Martin game, but he played well on some saves

At least we got a point on the road, should have been 2 but its ok its only the 1st game

Vanya
10-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Hey guys, just got back from the game...

I quickly read through the posts, but yeah... Martin was absolutely horrible. He joined the rush in the second period only to be caught down ice which resulted in a B's chance. And that Thornton goal... And... (uh) he was on the ice for the game tying goal.

He REALLY looked out of place out there. He desperately needs a year of seasoning, or at least some time spent at Albany to get uised to the pro speed.

But anyway, enough about Martin... :p

The power play was solid, I still can't believe how that showed up. The rest of the team was pretty much business as usual, but I think it'll be a while before I get used to Erik Rassussem as a Devil. Not that he was bad or anything, it just seemed awkward to me.

I thought Gomez played with some spunk...

Ok, I can't even think right now, I'm so tired. It's been a long night of screaming things like "3 Cups, 9 years" and "Where were you in '72!" to dip$hit Bruins fans who taunted me by telling me how much my team sucked. Ahhh, Boston...

Ok, one road game, one point. Could be worse, but this is a game we should have won.

DevilFisch
10-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Devils PP # 1 in the NHL yea baby

what a game for Scotty, Erik, Gomer, Elias,

Bad games: MARTIN............

SO-SO games: Marty didnt have his usual Martin game, but he played well on some saves

At least we got a point on the road, should have been 2 but its ok its only the 1st game

True. The Gionta-Rasmussen-Berglund line played rather well. And Elias-Gomez-Marshall were getting chances. Niedermayer was the best Devil out there, by far. Larionov looked well with Brylin and especially on the power play. Forwards totalled 35 shots, but the Devils allowed 31. Eh, guess the defense needs to step it up?

It's only one game, but it's the one that's going to set the tone! NOW ONTO CAROLINA!

Vanya
10-08-2003, 07:43 PM
True. The Gionta-Rasmussen-Berglund line played rather well.

I'd be interested in the ice time numbers, because that line seemed to be out there ALL THE TIME.

Berglund's gonna *have* to have an impact with this team due to his ice time. Now it can be a positive impact or a negative... Here's to the former...

kasper11
10-08-2003, 07:49 PM
I'd be interested in the ice time numbers, because that line seemed to be out there ALL THE TIME.

Berglund's gonna *have* to have an impact with this team due to his ice time. Now it can be a positive impact or a negative... Here's to the former...

berglund only had 12:45. gionta 13:19.

Looked to me like berglund didn't get much ice time late in the game. still, i thought he looked pretty good.

Vanya
10-08-2003, 07:56 PM
berglund only had 12:45. gionta 13:19.

Looked to me like berglund didn't get much ice time late in the game. still, i thought he looked pretty good.

That's pretty interesting. I certainly noticed him (Berglund) every time he was out there then! Wow, I thought he had more than 13 minutes... I guess that's a good thing then...

Jared Ramsden
10-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Things started off really well, then the guys kinda seemed to hit the wall. I liked the line combos tonight too. Berglund impressed, and man Scott Niedermayer is a machine. What a goal. Martin obviously needs time in Albany. I guess they just wanted to see if he was ready for the big show, but evidently he's not. He has a bright future in NJ, just not right now......

Niedermayer21
10-08-2003, 09:44 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, this game could have used Turner Stevenson to throw his big body around and change the momentum. We need a "Crash Line" with some skill, like Brylin, Rheaume, and Stevenson were in the playoffs.

I really like Rasmussen between Berglund and Gionta. The reason we all noticed them out there was because they did SOMETHING!!! every time they were on the ice. Either created a scoring chance or threw the body. Definitely our best line, which is not a great sign.

Niedermayer was awesome. What can I say? Glad you guys didn't trade him early last year. ;) Also, glad Lou is making the decisions! :)

Paul Martin needs some time in Albany, as we can all see. And I would send Hale down, too. Let them play together for a few months. I think the organization wants them to get a little taste of the NHL before they are sent down. I'm okay with that, as long as they don't lose their confidence, which is hard to regain.

I would like to see these line combos in the future:

Friesen--Gomez--Langenbrunner
Elias--Larionov/Rupp--Brylin/Marshall (Eventually Suglobov)
Pandolfo--Madden--Marshall/Brylin
Berglund--Rasmussen--Gionta/Stevenson (This line could cause opponents fits!!!)

Rafalski--Stevens
Niedermayer--White
Giroux/Albelin/Sean Brown
Hale and Martin see action after February 1st if I were running things. :D

Brodeur
(Still has to work on wrap-arounds. Played ok. Wouldn't trade him for any other goalie in the league. Also, has to stop coughing up the puck. He is starting to over-handle it when he should just dumb it into the corner. Hey, he's an all-time great. Can't expect perfection every night. But it is nice to see when he is at the top of his game. Hope Burns only plays him in 60-65, but he will probably play in 70+ again).
Schwab

One game down, plenty more to go, especially if we make the playoffs again, as we should. But I'll never forget 1996. That hurt! :cry:

Brodeur
10-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Hrm, my random thoughts:

- Looks like lots of rust on both sides.

- Joe Thornton is an animal.

- Why Hale and Martin as a pairing?

- Glad I'm not GM, I would have traded Niedermayer last year, and been telling the fans that Tverdovsky will turn it around soon.

- Brodeur had a subpar game.

- I picked Jeff Jillson in my Small World league, steal at 1.1 million!

- Rasmussen showed me more tonight than he did all year with the Kings.

- Game 1 of hopefully 100+ :)

meehan
10-09-2003, 01:30 AM
They looked so sharp for the first half of the game. They were making tape to tape passes and flying through the neutral zone. They controlled the flow of the game and when they scored the second goal I thought the game was over. Sadly, for as good as Berglund played, his roughing penalty seemed to be the turning point of the game. Since then the Devils couldn't seem to make good passes and frequently coffed up the puck in the neutral zone. Boston totally dominated the second half of the game and the Devils are actually lucky to have earned a point as they played horrible in the 3rd period and overtime(despite the lucky fluke goal Niedermayer scored). All in all the only good thing about the game was Niedermayer. I'd like to say the success on the powerplay impressed me but it really didn't as the goals were more the result of good individual efforts(Niedermayers nifty move and Friesen just slamming the puck by Potvin) as oppossed to the result of good puck movement and perfectly timed shots. Brodeur was average. He let in a few shots that he could have stopped but he also made some good saves. Hopefully, the team can play a full hockey game in Carolina.

MattNJD
10-09-2003, 06:31 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, this game could have used Turner Stevenson to throw his big body around and change the momentum. We need a "Crash Line" with some skill, like Brylin, Rheaume, and Stevenson were in the playoffs.

Ya know, your 100% right! A little added hitting to go up against Sandy McCarthy would have been a very good thing. Sandy drew penalties that worked out for the Bruins. Lets hope Turner gets better soon.