Ginner's useless Canuck Notes:

ginner classic
10-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Tuesday October 7th:

10:00 A.M. Currently reworking my latest Beech/Shvidki acquisition strategy...Shvidki's trade value now assumed to be slightly more than zero after clearing waivers. Beech not much better. Smith for Shvidki now sounds fair, reasonable and maybe a little too logical....will have to wait this one out.

Pittsburgh seems bent on playing talentless fools at centre, Beech will be reminissing about "D" Dutchmen Dairy on highway One from his childhood in Sicamous sitting beside Umberger at the Pens games. Hope the peanuts are still warm and the popcorn buttery.

12 A.M. Get talked into entering yet another pool....going halfers with a friend....makes two hockey pools and one soccer...girlfriend not impressed on the telephone....mumbled something about 50%.. common-?, and then hung up. Must have been last nights dinner. I am the first to admit I maybe added too much salt

5 P.M. Go to florist on Broadway and Alma

6 P.M. Pick up girl from work give flowers, ignore glare, and go shopping

6:30 P.M. See Chubie and his girl spending his money on a new leather jacket at Danier in Pac. Centre. That man is nothing if not a fine dresser.

6:31 Go back to take another peek....it is indeed Chubarov......happy to note his hairline is receding much faster than mine. Nice jacket.

6:32 Girl does not believe me and goes and peeks herself....gets caught....leave Pacific Centre.....now where is the damn car?

7: P.M Find car. Clearly some comedien moved it on me. I was sure I was on P1. Mumble something about red velveteen clad-ex-valet-car-jackers. She seems to buy it and nods head slowly.

11 P.M. Busted posting at HFBoards......sticky-note-to-self: "get a new florist!"

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-07-2003, 11:00 PM
My best buddy lives on the Corner of 8th and Alma (beside that Flying Elephant place)... I hate that Florist there. They are absolute tools.

However, the cheesecake at True Confections... different story. My friend worked there during the summer... Yum.

God I'm homesick.

Pangolin
10-07-2003, 11:06 PM
My best buddy lives on the Corner of 8th and Alma (beside that Flying Elephant place)... I hate that Florist there. They are absolute tools.

However, the cheesecake at True Confections... different story. My friend worked there during the summer... Yum.

God I'm homesick.

True Confections...they make the best almond hot chocolate...mmm..

Red
10-07-2003, 11:44 PM
I live really close to there.

Yeah, that florist sucks. True Confections rocks. Yum.

NFITO
10-08-2003, 06:32 AM
funny post ginner... but when you said "Canuck notes" I wasn't expecting nearly all the hockey talk to revolve around two guys that'll never be wearing Canuck jerseries..

on Shvidki... I think that Florida would take Smith for him in a second... Burke wouldn't do it... Smith is still a couple years away from having to clear waivers and can remain Canuck property... Shvidki is dangling close to Holden/Druken status... I think his worth is closer to a conditional pick, then an AHL sophomore, who's played pretty well to end the season, and had a pretty good camp.

If the Canucks make this trade though, it means that baring someone being on IR, we'd have no flexibility to bring up guys who are on the farm... like Reid, Kesler, Fedorov, or Smith... and anyone of those guys could still outplay Shvidki this season... Burke has said since the Warriner deal that he's wanted to keep that one spot open for just that possibility.

on Beech... I have this feeling that he'll get his chance this season, and Lemieux seems determined to do some damage this year - and I would never have the balls to bet against a determined (and healthy) Lemieux!

but a Beech for Umberger swap makes some sense... local boys going back to their local teams (well sorta with Beech)... two guys with good upside as well... just don't see how Beech fits into our team right now, and he needs to be somewhere there is a spot for him even if it's on the wing...

on the florist... try the one on Cordova, across from the Waterfront center/hotel (right in between Burrard and Howe - on the West side, away from the harbour)... I've had some pretty good success using that shop ;)

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-08-2003, 06:48 AM
True Confections...they make the best almond hot chocolate...mmm..

Isn't there a supposed Cinnamon Bun place on 10th and Alma (the store is actually ON Alma)... it's on the side of the street headed south.

Btw, anybody go to West Point Bike Shop? A few friends of mine work there...

Dangerdanger
10-08-2003, 11:27 AM
they have excellent excellent cinnamon buns at that place, believe you me

Red
10-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Isn't there a supposed Cinnamon Bun place on 10th and Alma (the store is actually ON Alma)... it's on the side of the street headed south.

Btw, anybody go to West Point Bike Shop? A few friends of mine work there...

Yeah, the cinnamon place is beside the bus stop where the 99 stops. That place is always full and makes the best cinnamon buns ever. I've been to the bike shop several times to fix/upgrade my bike.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-09-2003, 04:54 AM
Yeah, the cinnamon place is beside the bus stop where the 99 stops. That place is always full and makes the best cinnamon buns ever. I've been to the bike shop several times to fix/upgrade my bike.

Heh. If there's a curly blonde cashier at the bike place, tell her that "some Chinese guy who's smarter you think's you are useless." She'll get a kick out of that one.

Btw, i have NEVER been to that cinnamon bun place. It's weird.

Ever rent videos at the Limelight Video?

Btw, Mods, can somebody rename this thread into "THE OFFICIAL BROADWAY AND ALMA THREAD?"

ginner classic
10-09-2003, 09:38 AM
My dad used to live at Broadway and Alma (1986?).....no not on the street....second house west on Broadway on the North side of the street. Loved that intersection like none other! Now it is a mere shadow of the street I knew. A shame.

Best things about that intersection that I can think of......within 100 feet of both a Macs and a 7-11, great Jazz/Vegitarian Cafe (name escapes me....has changed a few times since), first video store I ever went to......and one brutal f-ing florist! It's also not that far from the best guitar technician in Western Canada now at Prussin music.

I have gone on to fall in love with other intersections but Broadway and Alma will always have a special place in my heart.

Tom.H
10-09-2003, 10:29 AM
I am trying to think where Broadway and Alma is, it has been a while since I have been around there.
I used to work at 8th and Pine, is it far from there?

Red
10-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Heh. If there's a curly blonde cashier at the bike place, tell her that "some Chinese guy who's smarter you think's you are useless." She'll get a kick out of that one.

Btw, i have NEVER been to that cinnamon bun place. It's weird.

Ever rent videos at the Limelight Video?

Btw, Mods, can somebody rename this thread into "THE OFFICIAL BROADWAY AND ALMA THREAD?"

LOL. Well, my bike is due for a fix-up soon, so when I go, I'll try to remember to tell her that. I go to Limelight all the time, but right now I owe them some 14 bucks for a late video so I don't think I'll be making an appearance there anytime soon.

The bad thing is that there are a lot of accidents at that intersection. Ambulances also pass by on 10th and Alma all the time in the middle of the night and wake me up every single time. I also hear there will be another McDonald's (blah, ewww) at that Alma and 10th intersection. I have no idea where Pine Street is.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-10-2003, 12:39 AM
LOL. Well, my bike is due for a fix-up soon, so when I go, I'll try to remember to tell her that. I go to Limelight all the time, but right now I owe them some 14 bucks for a late video so I don't think I'll be making an appearance there anytime soon.

The bad thing is that there are a lot of accidents at that intersection. Ambulances also pass by on 10th and Alma all the time in the middle of the night and wake me up every single time. I also hear there will be another McDonald's (blah, ewww) at that Alma and 10th intersection. I have no idea where Pine Street is.

Pine is between MacDonald and Arbutus (I think.)

Yeah, that place has accidents all the time. I think some car crashed into the Chevron once.

There's a MacD's RIGHT ON BROADWAY AND BLENHEIM THREE ****ING BLOCKS AWAY!!! COME ON!!!

Btw, my friend (useless blonde one) works at the limelight video too, but don't do the same thing there, her sister works there also, and they look the same :joker:

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-10-2003, 12:42 AM
My dad used to live at Broadway and Alma (1986?).....no not on the street....second house west on Broadway on the North side of the street. Loved that intersection like none other! Now it is a mere shadow of the street I knew. A shame.

Best things about that intersection that I can think of......within 100 feet of both a Macs and a 7-11, great Jazz/Vegitarian Cafe (name escapes me....has changed a few times since), first video store I ever went to......and one brutal f-ing florist! It's also not that far from the best guitar technician in Western Canada now at Prussin music.

I have gone on to fall in love with other intersections but Broadway and Alma will always have a special place in my heart.

Remember 11th and Alma where they had the music stores? I got my violin and Viola from the Doyen Violin shop from there, not to mention fixing my instruments and accessories. Prussin music I'm less enthusiastic about... Steve (who was the guy working at the shop) was a great guy. Always got free stuff haha. And what do they do to the block? THEY BUILD CONDOS SO MORE YUPPIES CAN MOVE IN.

Oh well, at least the Captain is still around a block away :joker:

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-13-2003, 03:59 AM
Sorry... gotta bump thread.

This is also becoming the "Ironchef is homesick for Kitsilano" thread.