Question - Status of Tverdosky??

Highlander
10-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Can any of you loyal Devil's fans give an update on the status of Tverdosky? I ended up with him in a Fantasy League draft (damn auto pick function), and can't find any info on his status, other than he doesn't have a contract. Is he in camp, not with the team, in Europe, etc?? Thanks.

Unthinkable
10-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Can any of you loyal Devil's fans give an update on the status of Tverdosky? I ended up with him in a Fantasy League draft (damn auto pick function), and can't find any info on his status, other than he doesn't have a contract. Is he in camp, not with the team, in Europe, etc?? Thanks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1606121

Saturday, August 30, 2003
Updated: August 31, 11:54 AM ET

Associated Press

MOSCOW -- Defenseman Oleg Tverdovsky is returning to Russia after playing last season for the Stanley Cup champion New Jersey Devils.

He signed a two-year contract with Avangard of the Super League on Aug. 23, the Russian club said on its Web site. The Devils could not confirm the move Saturday because Tverdovsky became an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Tverdovsky, 27, was traded to the Devils last season. He had an erratic season that was limited by a head injury. He played 50 games, finishing with five goals and eight assists.

He began his pro career with Russia's Soviet Wings. He played for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks from 1994-96, then was dealt to Winnipeg for Teemu Selanne and Marc Chouinard in 1996 before being traded back to the Ducks in 1999.

tmg
10-08-2003, 09:43 AM
I know that technically, he can still return to the NHL so long as he does not play:

10 total games

or

1 game after the start of the NHL season.

Well, the NHL season starts tonight so we know he hasn't violated that one yet... but has he played 10 games yet? Is there still a possibility that some team may sign him in the next day or two (until Avangard's next game), or has he hit 10 games and locked the door on an NHL return this year?