Simpson Fights Guerin in the First...

_Del_
10-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Just watched Simpson rough up Guerin in the Anahiem-- Dallas game.... I'll miss that... hehe

c9orf
10-08-2003, 05:17 PM
However, Guerin blew by Simpson's ineffective check to score the fourth goal; worthy revenge, I think.

Seeing Zubov and Numminen as Dallas' top D pairing is just... wrong. :(

_Del_
10-08-2003, 05:56 PM
However, Guerin blew by Simpson's ineffective check to score the fourth goal; worthy revenge, I think.

Both Nummy and Zubov looked great tonight...
On the Guerin goal, I thought Ozo looked like a fool on that one too... Not a shining moment for either. Funny, I always hated (hate is a strong word, but you get the idea) Ozo b/c I thought he was a defensive liability, but during the playoffs last year, he looked very dependable at both ends -- then tonight he makes quite a few glaring gaffes... Not sure which is the real Ozolinsch...

Hordichuk_24
10-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Just watched Simpson rough up Guerin in the Anahiem-- Dallas game.... I'll miss that... hehe

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here. I'll miss that too. :yo:

Hordichuk_24
10-08-2003, 07:13 PM

That goal was just as much Ozo's fault. He was the one that actually got beat by Guerin...

CoyoteBaloney
10-09-2003, 01:19 AM

I won't miss that :rolly:

Hordichuk_24
10-09-2003, 01:25 AM
I won't miss that :rolly:

I know. You'll see plenty of it from the rest of the Coyotes defense.
:lol:

CoyoteBaloney
10-09-2003, 08:21 AM
I know. You'll see plenty of it from the rest of the Coyotes defense.
:lol:
:rolleyes: Except for Hulse the remaining Coyotes defense are much better skaters than Simpson. Sure, they will make their mistakes but not because they are watching someone go around them with hockey skill.

10-09-2003, 10:13 AM
:rolleyes: Except for Hulse the remaining Coyotes defense are much better skaters than Simpson. Sure, they will make their mistakes but not because they are watching someone go around them with hockey skill.

I still don't see why the Coyotes were so hard up to have Hulse. He just doesn't show me anything that says we need him. He plays a physical style and looks ok, but the word in the paper said we outbid LA for him. I don't think he's going to be that veteran leader on the blueline, and he doesn't seem to be a can't miss guy either. I'm glad we have him with our ever dwindling depth on D, but I would have rather had several dozen others.

The Viking
10-09-2003, 10:32 AM
I still don't see why the Coyotes were so hard up to have Hulse. He just doesn't show me anything that says we need him. He plays a physical style and looks ok, but the word in the paper said we outbid LA for him. I don't think he's going to be that veteran leader on the blueline, and he doesn't seem to be a can't miss guy either. I'm glad we have him with our ever dwindling depth on D, but I would have rather had several dozen others.

Several dozen others?? Hulse is not the best defenseman out there but he does his job and has committed for 3 years. This is the reason he was protected over Simpson. For the $$, Hulse is a capable defenseman that gives every team what it needs grit and toughness.

CoyoteBaloney
10-09-2003, 10:48 AM
I am not Hulse fan either, but I dont think Simpson is that leader either you are talking about either. Hulse is a 3rd pairing dman -- nothing more -- same as Simpson. Simpson plays very emotional and very undisciplined. He took a lot of dumb penalties last year (along with some other players as well) that far too often forced the Coyotes to play their poor PK. Simspon was made to wear the C in Calgary at a very young age and since then hasn't been given letter.

10-09-2003, 12:19 PM
I am not Hulse fan either, but I dont think Simpson is that leader either you are talking about either. Hulse is a 3rd pairing dman -- nothing more -- same as Simpson. Simpson plays very emotional and very undisciplined. He took a lot of dumb penalties last year (along with some other players as well) that far too often forced the Coyotes to play their poor PK. Simspon was made to wear the C in Calgary at a very young age and since then hasn't been given letter.

My comments are actually not at all related to Simpson, that's my fault for the thread I guess. I'm just not impressed with the Hulse acquisition, especially at that price. I hope he shows me something, because I'll admit I never saw anything in him before that made me notice him.

I don't really mind protecting him over Simpson, in the long run it was something we had to do. Although it clearly shows that Simpson was a salary dump for us, otherwise they surely could have found and 8th round pick or something out there.

Hordichuk_24
10-09-2003, 12:39 PM
Simpson is a lot better than Hulse at what he does. But as long as we have some toughness on defense I'll be happy with it.

_Del_
10-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Several dozen others?? Hulse is not the best defenseman out there but he does his job and has committed for 3 years. This is the reason he was protected over Simpson. For the $$, Hulse is a capable defenseman that gives every team what it needs grit and toughness.

I'm sorry, but this is baloney... The reason he was protected was so that mgmt could rid themselves of the extra 400k difference in contract. Simpson is a FAR more capable dman than Hulse.

CoyoteBaloney
10-09-2003, 11:14 PM
What a great team player. Simpson took on the tough goy Scott Walker and got a game misconduct in the process. That was at the end of the first period leaving the Ducks to play the final 2 periods with one less defenseman.

I won't miss him.

_Del_
10-09-2003, 11:30 PM
What a great team player. Simpson took on the tough goy Scott Walker and got a game misconduct in the process. That was at the end of the first period leaving the Ducks to play the final 2 periods with one less defenseman.

I won't miss him.

Are you kidding, he's such a horrible dman he did the Ducks a favor by leaving the game early :rolleyes:

Hordichuk_24
10-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Are you kidding, he's such a horrible dman he did the Ducks a favor by leaving the game early :rolleyes:

LOL!!! Amen, great post. :bow:

CoyoteBaloney
10-10-2003, 01:18 AM
As true as that is, it still left the Ducks a player short. What a great team player. Again, I will not be missing him and his undisciplined play.

Hordichuk_24
10-10-2003, 01:32 AM
As true as that is, it still left the Ducks a player short. What a great team player. Again, I will not be missing him and his undisciplined play.

You'll be getting plenty of it with Cale Hulse, trust me....

CoyoteBaloney
10-10-2003, 01:34 AM
I am hoping that Hulse has a little more control over his impulses than Simpson does. I know what Simpson brought to the ice ... I am hoping for a more controled game from Hulse. If not, it is a good thing we dont have both.

_Del_
10-10-2003, 01:39 AM
I am hoping that Hulse has a little more control over his impulses than Simpson does. I know what Simpson brought to the ice ... I am hoping for a more controled game from Hulse. If not, it is a good thing we dont have both.

I sincerely hope that you will be honest enough to admit that Hulse can't fill half of one of Simpson's skates with talent OR selfcontrol by midpoint of the season. Conversely, if Hulse is a completely different player in Phoenix than the one I've watched over the years, I'll tell you how right you were to feed your ego...

And if they hadn't signed Hulse they wouldn't have needed to dump Simpson.

CoyoteBaloney
10-10-2003, 02:15 AM
I sincerely hope that you will be honest enough to admit that Hulse can't fill half of one of Simpson's skates with talent OR selfcontrol by midpoint of the season. Conversely, if Hulse is a completely different player in Phoenix than the one I've watched over the years, I'll tell you how right you were to feed your ego...

And if they hadn't signed Hulse they wouldn't have needed to dump Simpson.
If that is true than there is no way that Hulse should in the ECHL let alone the NHL. Everyone is so concered about the Coyotes defense yet Simpson was going to be on the 3rd pairing rotating with Hulse and Suchy at best.

Don't kid yourself about not needing to dump Simspon. The Coyotes still want to dump another $2 million in salary. If Hulse can do what Simpson did for less money it was a good swap.

From what I have read and heard Spiller will be paired with Suchy on the 3rd pair tonight. So, I think that means Hulse will be a healthy scratch or the 7th dman.

hbk
10-10-2003, 03:30 AM
Barnett gambled and got burnt. Simpson actually went a long way in the waiver draft process and likely Anaheim would've bypassed him had Carney not broken his foot the day prior (reminiscant of the Flyers losing two centermen the day before the trade deadline and paying up to get Adam Oates from Washington). Would you have dealt Todd Simpson for $1.5 million? A lot of teams chose not to. Are we going to miss him? No doubt but I don't think we should be shedding any tears for a guy who ranked fifth in our depth chart at best. Hulse might be slightly below in ranking but does that difference justify a $400,000 difference in pay? For a team that is struggling financially just to stay afloat you do what you have to do. Losing Simpson will hurt this team but it is far from the death blow to our defense corps.

_Del_
10-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Barnett gambled and got burnt. Simpson actually went a long way in the waiver draft process and likely Anaheim would've bypassed him had Carney not broken his foot the day prior (reminiscant of the Flyers losing two centermen the day before the trade deadline and paying up to get Adam Oates from Washington). Would you have dealt Todd Simpson for $1.5 million? A lot of teams chose not to. Are we going to miss him? No doubt but I don't think we should be shedding any tears for a guy who ranked fifth in our depth chart at best. Hulse might be slightly below in ranking but does that difference justify a $400,000 difference in pay? For a team that is struggling financially just to stay afloat you do what you have to do. Losing Simpson will hurt this team but it is far from the death blow to our defense corps.

I don't think it was a death blow, and I'm not trying to make Simpson something he's not -- having said that, we traded 3 of our top 5 dmen..
And the difference between Hulse and Simpson is worth the extra 400k, imo... the fact Hulse is going to be a healthy scratch is even more puzzling -- why did we sign a guy to a 1.1M contract in a bidding war if he's not even going to make the opening roster... Grenier would make more sense if they just wanted an extra body who would hit people when dressed. And he makes a hell of alot less than Hulse...
It's just a series of moves that leave me scratching my head..

Hordichuk_24
10-10-2003, 01:49 PM
He won't be scratched just yet. Looks like we're going to go with 7 defenseman.

PhoPhan
10-10-2003, 06:24 PM
He won't be scratched just yet. Looks like we're going to go with 7 defenseman.

Just as we did most of the year last year. Why am I the only one who went on record as expecting this?

Hordichuk_24
10-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Just as we did most of the year last year. Why am I the only one who went on record as expecting this?

We didn't do it as often last year as we did the year before that.