Niedermayer's lack of emotion...

MattNJD
10-09-2003, 06:37 AM
Is anyone else a little concerned about Nieder's lack of emtion? I mean, he scores an amazing goal going end-to-end, split's the D, and then fires one through the 5 hole.... Not even a smile on his face! No arms in the air. Zero. He just skates away like its practice in South Mountain. Same thing on the second goal. Granted it wasn't nearly as "nice" a goal, he just skates away. I don't know.... I know this is always the way he plays but it worries me a bit. Kinda reminds me of Joe Nieuwendyk's lack of emtion last year (contract year, just like Nieds) and he walked. Am I making to much out of this? :dunno:

Blackjack
10-09-2003, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Niedermayer's always been that way. I'm just glad that he's playing motivated on the ice.

JimEIV
10-09-2003, 07:39 AM
an Even keal is a good thing.

DevilFisch
10-09-2003, 07:50 AM
He's always been business on the ice, saving the celebrations for the big wins (like, say, winning the Stanley Cup).

sveiglar
10-09-2003, 08:01 AM
If Nieder wants to put on his gameface and carry the team on his back, I'm all for it. I think he takes another step forward this year in emerging as a recognized #1 Dman (1b on this team) and future captain of the team.

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Hell, have you seen Brett Hull when he scores? He looks like his dog got shot. Naslund and Bertuzzi don't look particularly happy when they score, either.

Just means they're getting accustomed to it...it's a good sign!

openicehit04
10-09-2003, 09:19 AM
No big deal, certain players just react to their goals in different ways. Scotty takes a low key approach while friesen tries to break the glass with his glove. The goal is all that matters...he could hump the post for all I care, just get the goal.

Tiki
10-09-2003, 11:18 AM
I would not worry about it. I was the same way when I played. It does not matter how great the play until the final buzzer sounds. Neids is most likely a resulats based person. Lets face it, playing for the Devs his whole career ahs kept his numbers and exposure down. He does not complain about the system or the team but just keeps doing his job and winning.

On another team like Detroit or the Avs he would IMO be a yearly canadiate for the Norris but gets a bad knock against him from playing great inside a defense first system. Anyteam in the league would love to have a level headed talented guy like him.

Tiki

Niedermayer21
10-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Nice avatar, Tiki. Good job! :yo:

Nieder is a low key guy. Maybe it helps that he plays with Whitey. They compliment each other very well. Hey, even when Nieder does something special in the playoffs, he doesn't get very emotional. Nieder may be the premiere defenseman in the game this year. I don't look to Scott for emotion. Stevens, Madden, and Friesen, et.al. are the emotional ones on this team. Did you ever see Sergei Brylin change his expression? I think I've seen him smile once in the past two years.

I just hope we can sign him. If not, he might go to Vancouver. Or God-forbid, the Rangers! Lou better be nice to him.

Kiss, kiss Lou. ;)

Mike#16*
10-09-2003, 11:41 PM
I just hope we can sign him. If not, he might go to Vancouver. Or God-forbid, the Rangers! Lou better be nice to him.

Lou probabely should try to get Rob from the ducks, as far as I can remember, he stated several times he'd love to play with him on the same team. Rob played very well in the finals and he would fit with the devils.

Trottier
10-10-2003, 12:30 AM
The old saying is: act like you been there, done that before.

Personally, I love athletes who are stoic. It's kind of hard to showboat too much in hockey anyway (than goodness), but Neidermayer's even keel, Barry Sanders casual flip of the football to the ref after scoring and guys who put their head down and run the bases after hitting a home run instead of preening for the camera are like a breath of fresh air.

At one time, the theatrics of a few athletes were novel. Now, they're so commonplace and planned that they are dull and boorish (and soooo egocentric), 99% of the time.

_Del_
10-10-2003, 02:44 AM
The old saying is: act like you been there, done that before.

Personally, I love athletes who are stoic. It's kind of hard to showboat too much in hockey anyway (than goodness), but Neidermayer's even keel, Barry Sanders casual flip of the football to the ref after scoring and guys who put their head down and run the bases after hitting a home run instead of preening for the camera are like a breath of fresh air.

At one time, the theatrics of a few athletes were novel. Now, they're so commonplace and planned that they are dull and boorish (and soooo egocentric), 99% of the time.

This is why I can't watch basketball, and football is already well down the road....

Personally, unless it's a gamewinner in overtime, I hardly ever show anything after scoring a goal... there's always more work to be done no?