2006 NFL draft

Riggins
10-22-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm looking for some people to educate me about this year's draft crop. I do not follow college football so I only know of a couple of guys.

What will the Texans do if they have the first pick? Trade down to a team who wants Leinhart and then take the best OT? I hear this D'Brickashaw Ferguson guy is good.

How good is Reggie Bush? Will he opt in?

Educate me people. :thumbu:

FlyersGuy69
10-22-2005, 03:41 AM
I'm looking for some people to educate me about this year's draft crop. I do not follow college football so I only know of a couple of guys.

What will the Texans do if they have the first pick? Trade down to a team who wants Leinhart and then take the best OT? I hear this D'Brickashaw Ferguson guy is good.

How good is Reggie Bush? Will he opt in?

Educate me people. :thumbu:
well, if they are happy with Carr and are looking to trade the pick, then I would say Ferguson is the guy they should target. he is a franchise LT type that the Texans desperately need. the only problem is, he could go as early as #2 overall, so he won't be on the board long.

Marcus Mcneil (OT) and Eric Winston (OT) are the other names to watch for on the offensive line. they both could go top 10-15.

if the Texans don't draft Leinart, then I think they should get the best offensive lineman on the board. there O-line is horrendous.

chris_dub
10-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Look for Crosby to go #1

Herby
10-22-2005, 06:42 AM
Bush's problem is he is not an NFL style #1 RB. But then again neither is Brian Westbrook and the Eagles have made that work, and Bish is 1000x the talent Westbrook is.

Safir*
10-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Just google for "2006 NFL Draft" or something like that and you will find lot's of good sites out there.

If re-call correctly, I think that footballfuture.com was a pretty solid site. Generally they have ranked each position and of course a ranking of all players out there.

Vic Rattlehead*
10-22-2005, 09:29 AM
I could see the texans go with Ferguson. They need dire help for their weak o-line, but won't make an impact right away (like Gallery with Oakland).

Should be a good year for QB's. Leinart is obviously the top QB. Other than that, Jacobs, Quinn, and Vick look good (I'd imagine Dallas will draft one of the QB's).

If Arizona has a poor finish (but not bottom two), then they'll target Reggie Bush. They need a running game, and Shipp doesn't cut it.

GB
10-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Bush's problem is he is not an NFL style #1 RB.

In what way?

FlyersHomer DM03
10-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I love talking the draft, it's my favorite weekend as an NFL fan...whether my team (pack) picks 30th or where they're probably gonna pick this year, i really get into it

my question...has anyone here ever been to the NFL draft live, and knows how to get tickets? me and a friend want to make a road trip there this April...

the Texans are on the clock...

JCD
10-22-2005, 03:34 PM
In what way?

He is on the small side. Plus, he isn't a 25-carry back as much as he is a jack-of-all-trades who swings out to WR, returns kicks and so on. An athlete who doesn't have a clearly defined position.

Epsilon
10-22-2005, 03:56 PM
He is on the small side. Plus, he isn't a 25-carry back as much as he is a jack-of-all-trades who swings out to WR, returns kicks and so on. An athlete who doesn't have a clearly defined position.

Exactly. I mentioned in the College Football thread that I could see him being more of a Dante Hall type of player than a franchise running back. I think that LenDale White could be the best NFL player out of the USC big three.

If I were the Texans, I'd either take Ferguson or trade down to #2 or #3 and take him, if I was pretty sure that Leinart and Bush would be going #1 and 2 in some order.

As a Cowboys fan, I would love to see us end up with Brady Quinn or Drew Stanton.

GB
10-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
So would he be better off with a team with a full back who can run in short yardage situations, or would he be better in a commitee situation? Or are his athletic abilities such that he should be succesful anyway?

Vic Rattlehead*
10-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Exactly. I mentioned in the College Football thread that I could see him being more of a Dante Hall type of player than a franchise running back. I think that LenDale White could be the best NFL player out of the USC big three.

If I were the Texans, I'd either take Ferguson or trade down to #2 or #3 and take him, if I was pretty sure that Leinart and Bush would be going #1 and 2 in some order.

As a Cowboys fan, I would love to see us end up with Brady Quinn or Drew Stanton.

I'd love to see Dallas draft a QB, but I can't see it with Parcells as the coach (He loves "his type" players).

John Flyers Fan
10-22-2005, 06:24 PM

Bush certainly isn't built like Jamal Lewis or Shawn Alexander, but he's the same size as Tiki Barber/Clinton Portis.

He wouldn't be great in a Pittsburgh/Washington style offense, but for teams that run a West Coast offense he'll be devastating.

Give him 10-15 carries. Catch 4-8 passes, and return punts. A threat to score a TD everytime he touches the ball.

John Flyers Fan
10-22-2005, 06:26 PM

I think Quinn will go back to school and be th e#1 pick the following year.

JCD
10-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Bush certainly isn't built like Jamal Lewis or Shawn Alexander, but he's the same size as Tiki Barber/Clinton Portis.

He wouldn't be great in a Pittsburgh/Washington style offense, but for teams that run a West Coast offense he'll be devastating.

Give him 10-15 carries. Catch 4-8 passes, and return punts. A threat to score a TD everytime he touches the ball.

True, but not every team runs a system where their best RB can do that, hence his potential to drop in the draft. Not every team can accomodate a player of that type, not if they want to pound the ball between the tackles or run 25+ times a game.

Plus, it is also a matter of style. From what I have heard, Bush is a great open-field player. You mention Portis. Portis is an oddity in that although he is small in stature, he plays big. He will power through contact and lower the shoulder like a big back. Not sure if Bush is like that.

From what I gather, he is more like Westbrook or Dunn and would excel if used like either of them. A guy who can motion to anywhere on the field with fantastic make-you-miss moves. Like Dunn and Westbrook, I suspect he would also need a complimentary burly-back to handle to high-contact plays. Not every team is able/willing to do that.

BrooklynCanuck
10-22-2005, 09:35 PM
If they're smart they'll take Vernon Davis.

Mathletic
10-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Seniors

Leinart USC QB
Williams Memphis RB
McNeill Auburn T
Ferguson Virginia T
Hawk Ohio State LB
Williams VTech CB
Kiwanuka BC DE
Greenway Iowa LB
Ryans Alabama LB
Wright Texas DT

Others

Sims FSU LB
Young Texas QB
Brooks Virginia LB
Bush USC RB
Maroney Minny RB
Jacobs Bowling Green QB
Holmes Ohio State WR

John Flyers Fan
10-22-2005, 09:57 PM
From what I gather, he is more like Westbrook or Dunn and would excel if used like either of them. A guy who can motion to anywhere on the field with fantastic make-you-miss moves. Like Dunn and Westbrook, I suspect he would also need a complimentary burly-back to handle to high-contact plays. Not every team is able/willing to do that.

He's stronger than a guy like Dunn.

If Westbrook played for a team that actually thought running the ball was something you needed to do more than twice a quarter, he'd put up very good numbers. He can run between the tackles, unfortunately Reid seems to be trying win the Super Bowl was throwing 80+% of the time.