Valiquette Lost

nordique
10-09-2003, 07:16 AM
I think Dudley's done some great things, but to lose Hurme and Mason to get Valiquette, and then lose Valiquette for nothing a week later?

That's gotta hurt.

Desert Panther
10-09-2003, 08:21 AM
I think Dudley's done some great things, but to lose Hurme and Mason to get Valiquette, and then lose Valiquette for nothing a week later?

That's gotta hurt.

Yeah, there's no doubt Duds screwed the pooch on this move. Still, he made up for it some by nabbing Shields and Cohen using the savings to sign Horton.

patastrophe
10-10-2003, 02:09 AM

That's gotta hurt.

AHEM AHEM COUGH COUGH salary dump.

im actually less concerned about hurme and mason, than i am with the fact that no moves have been made to restock our goalie prospects after moving alex auld and billy thompson. you can afford to dump a million plus backup when you have kids like that coming up. by most accounts lajeunnesse (sp) is predicted to be minor league material unless he has a pretty shocking upswing in development soon.

any good goalies in the '04 draft?

Coolburn
10-10-2003, 03:09 AM
With Luongo in net, what goalie prospect would want to stay with FL (this is the reason why both Auld & Thompson are gone...they didn't want to stay with the organization knowing they would never get a chance)?? He's going to get 60-65 games this yr so you just need a guy capable of playing 20 games per season. I thought Mason would've been a perfect fit and I assume he's backing up Vokoun this season. There is a plethora of teams out there loaded with goalies that one shouldn't be too hard to acquire. This is the reason why the value of Hurme wasn't as high as everyone thought (saturated market for goalies & his salary).

Spiffy
10-10-2003, 03:16 AM
Get Lasak! :D

patastrophe
10-11-2003, 12:14 AM
With Luongo in net, what goalie prospect would want to stay with FL (this is the reason why both Auld & Thompson are gone...they didn't want to stay with the organization knowing they would never get a chance)?? He's going to get 60-65 games this yr so you just need a guy capable of playing 20 games per season. I thought Mason would've been a perfect fit and I assume he's backing up Vokoun this season. There is a plethora of teams out there loaded with goalies that one shouldn't be too hard to acquire. This is the reason why the value of Hurme wasn't as high as everyone thought (saturated market for goalies & his salary).

oh, im comfortable with the fact that luongo is going to play approximately 6 billion games for us over the next ten years or so. my point is even if you have a masterful no. 1 that doesnt mean you let the position get that thin on an organizational basis. as weve seen...you can turn these prospects into picks or other prospects in areas that you need more help at. the fact remains we have no tasty prospects in goal at the moment unless lajeunesse explodes in the next year or two.

Hagman-O-War
10-11-2003, 06:48 AM
I agree we need goalie prospects, but it wasn't like there was a huge crop of good goalies in the last draft. After the first two or three goalies, it was supposed to be a very weak goalie crop the rest of the way. Actually, the goalie crops have been weak for the past few drafts, if my memory serves me correcty.

evildreams
10-11-2003, 05:25 PM

ever consider lungo going down to injury? i bet you'd love to see FLA w/ shields backstopping them 50-60 gms./season. so, let's get this straight: we have luongo so we shouldn't draft goalies b/c they will never get a fair crack? and/or no sense in holding onto depth goalie prospects, so we should let them have their way and allow them to return to the draft and/or trade them? so you know, both thompson and auld have now been lost for nothing. many goalies drafted would kill to be career backups, and many are very understanding that they are and likely never will be as good as roberto; my, you'd make a terrible gm. i know auld refused to sign b/c of luongo's presence, but you'll have to provide proof of thompson complaining.

Clash*
10-11-2003, 06:37 PM
ever consider lungo going down to injury? i bet you'd love to see FLA w/ shields backstopping them 50-60 gms./season. so, let's get this straight: we have luongo so we shouldn't draft goalies b/c they will never get a fair crack? and/or no sense in holding onto depth goalie prospects, so we should let them have their way and allow them to return to the draft and/or trade them? so you know, both thompson and auld have now been lost for nothing. many goalies drafted would kill to be career backups, and many are very understanding that they are and likely never will be as good as roberto; my, you'd make a terrible gm. i know auld refused to sign b/c of luongo's presence, but you'll have to provide proof of thompson complaining.
Im still waitin for your player profiles and reasons for the guys you named that the Panthers should have picked up off the waiver draft. Any day now. Its been over a week.

Try rereadin what Rich said, and maybe you'll understand a lil better. Or do you need it s l o w l y t r a n s l a t e d f o r y o u ?

Heimy
10-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Just because I can edit threads doesn't mean that's why I like coming here. Now knock the insults off or find a new sandbox kids. :rant:

Coolburn
10-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Not once did I say not to draft a goalie. I said that a goalie prospect would not necessarily be thrilled with the situation of never getting a true opportunity (like Auld). I have considered Luongo going down to injury and that is a risk. But its just as risky to give Hurme spot duty as well. He NEEDS a starting job to be really good (its been documented not just in FL). Would I want Shields playing 50 games/season? No but at the same time, would I want Hurme to play in 20 games spaced sporatically apart during the season? No to that too. Mason was signed as a free agent if I remember correctly and this is sometimes how you can restock depth at a position as well. If you want a goalie that is thrilled with being a backup for his entire career, he's not a quality tender worthy of being with an organization. You want players that want to be the best. They push themselves and those around them. While your opinion means very little to me ED, I wouldn't ever want to be a GM of any franchise. They have one of the most impossible jobs that I could think of. For all of last yr (and up until the waiver draft), Dudley could do no wrong but he chooses to get rid of Hurme and screwed up with Mason, and everyone is on his case. He resolved the issue by trading for a veteran goalie that is perfectly suited for backup duty in Shields. Its a chess game folks...one move may seem like a bad one but if you can set the table correctly, you can end up getting your opponent in check mate. :teach:

patastrophe
10-12-2003, 02:00 AM
[QUOTE=Dudley could do no wrong but he chooses to get rid of Hurme and screwed up with Mason, and everyone is on his case. He resolved the issue by signing a veteran goalie that is perfectly suited for backup duty in Shields. Its a chess game folks...one move may seem like a bad one but if you can set the table correctly, you can end up getting your opponent in check mate. :teach:[/QUOTE]

im sorry, but the hurme/mason situation smacks of a little too much coincidence to be an accident IMO. i think when mason got taken he saw the opportunity to pull off a little salary dump. i have to believe that he was talking to the bruins in advance of the waiver draft, since very few nhl deals happen in that quick a time frame.

thats a whole other ball of wax since i was talking junior/minor talent, not our nhl back up.

Seguin19
10-26-2003, 03:09 PM
Lajeunesse

If we are looking to maybe develop him to even back-up he needs to play. So far he has played 1 game in the AHL this season. Seems DOA to me. Thoughts?

LaLaLaprise
10-26-2003, 04:02 PM
Lajeunesse

If we are looking to maybe develop him to even back-up he needs to play. So far he has played 1 game in the AHL this season. Seems DOA to me. Thoughts?

Red light Laj isnt your answer in goal.

There are a couple nice tenders in 2004. Also there are some ncie 2nd teir ones. 2004 is deep in goal. I am sure Florida will grab one.