Oh, well...

Hoot
10-09-2003, 12:56 PM
We're on the threshold to a new season and our dear forum isn't exactly bristling with energy and optimism. Is this lethargy symptomatic of the players and organization as well? What do you guys in Phoenix say?

rbrooks
10-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Most of the lethargy is lead by the media here. You have Bob Macmanaman blasting Sean Burke along with Dan Bickley yesterday and Bob Francis today. People read this and join on the bandwagon

Av-merican
10-09-2003, 01:10 PM
What's wrong with Burke?

CoyoteBaloney
10-09-2003, 02:07 PM
We're on the threshold to a new season and our dear forum isn't exactly bristling with energy and optimism. Is this lethargy symptomatic of the players and organization as well? What do you guys in Phoenix say?
I can only do so much. I'm just one man damnit! I'm a fan, Jim, not a GM.

Hoot
10-09-2003, 02:47 PM
I can only do so much. I'm just one man damnit! I'm a fan, Jim, not a GM.

You're beating the drum just fine CT, good job, it's the rest I am worried about. Maybe management should have fired BF just to put somebody with a fresh outlook and new energy in charge. If the Yotes come out flat and lose a handful of games right from the get go this is going to be a very long season. Not even playing in a new barn is going to help if we get off on the wrong foot.

nooch
10-09-2003, 04:11 PM
I think that they will be competitive. If the injury bug doesn't plague us again, and we can get a couple break out years from Nagy, Kolonos, etc. And the blue line holds its own we won't be that bad.

Devils Advocate
10-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Most of the lethargy is lead by the media here. You have Bob Macmanaman blasting Sean Burke along with Dan Bickley yesterday and Bob Francis today. People read this and join on the bandwagon

I may have missed it, but where was McManaman or Bickley blasting Burke? I read the Bickley article but all I remember was him saying was what a great job Burke was doing exhibiting his leadership abilities even though he knew it was quite likely he might be dealt at some point. Do you have a link to the McManaman article blasting Burke?

I did see the Francis article & that was a pretty horrible job of jounalism. Maybe he wants to be the next Pedro Gomez. Apparently his instigative reporting got him a sideline reporting job on NFL telecasts.

As for the optimism, I've spread as much as possible, I think people prefer to be negative & short-sighted. Regardless of what they do this year, I am ecstatic about what this team is going to look like in a couple of years. Maybe not enough of these posters are old enough to have experienced just how bad it was when Bobby Smith (Ugh) was in charge & 'future' was not even part of the Coyote venacular.

ducky
10-09-2003, 05:22 PM
keeping with the negative thoughts...

My prediction for the season opener is a 6 - 0 loss and Burke gets injured - pulls his groin.

Dancing Chicken
10-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Besides the BF factor I am really looking forward to this year, in my eyes this is the best the team has looked in three years.. There is so much "hope" on this team now that in a couple of years and the addition of a young superstar we could become a contender.. The managment has addressed all of the large problems of the last couple of years..

First loseing the Draw in the final three minutes of a period and getting scored on. We now are are one of the better teams in the West on the draw.

A dull totally predictable power play, welcome Mara and Tanabe.. With the new youngster in Tanabe Doan should now play in front of the net with low on target shots from the point actually on target..

A heartless team that took 20 minutes befor they started to play. (unless BF blows it) we now have Nash, Wilson, so so Doan, Sillinger and Spiller.. Hopefully these boys can create a spark. Thoe the lose of Todd will hurt..

A offensive plan a double AA coach could defend against, last year BF said it was because of injuies, this year we have 4 different but effective lines, we have speed, size and smarts to bring into play. Hirdina and Krys will be huge for us..

Hunger that was lost last year, Being picked to be dead last has to sting. It will give them the emtions they need to play smart but nasty hockey they need too, none of this sit back and see what happens crap..

Well I am getting off my soap box now..

scoob4093
10-09-2003, 06:50 PM
I may have missed it, but where was McManaman or Bickley blasting Burke? I read the Bickley article but all I remember was him saying was what a great job Burke was doing exhibiting his leadership abilities even though he knew it was quite likely he might be dealt at some point. Do you have a link to the McManaman article blasting Burke?

I did see the Francis article & that was a pretty horrible job of jounalism. Maybe he wants to be the next Pedro Gomez. Apparently his instigative reporting got him a sideline reporting job on NFL telecasts.

As for the optimism, I've spread as much as possible, I think people prefer to be negative & short-sighted. Regardless of what they do this year, I am ecstatic about what this team is going to look like in a couple of years. Maybe not enough of these posters are old enough to have experienced just how bad it was when Bobby Smith (Ugh) was in charge & 'future' was not even part of the Coyote venacular.

You said:" I am ecstatic about what this team is going to look like in a couple of years". Would you care to expand upon that statement sir ?

Matzel
10-09-2003, 07:12 PM
My prediction for the season opener is a 6 - 0 loss and Burke gets injured - pulls his groin.

lol, you must be the one hoot is refering to in this string...:lol:

Boys, I agree, the future is starting to look brighter, but this season is not going to be better, because of it... Too many 'if's' and 'maybes' regarding the blueline, special teams, goal scoring, goaltending (Burke's health and whether he's going to be traded or not), and so on and so forth.

I wouldn't call myself negative, just realistic.

Dancin' Gabe rules! :bow:

ducky
10-09-2003, 09:23 PM
you must be the one hoot is refering to in this string...

Mostly it was a tough day at work...

Overall I like the look the team is starting to take. Defense concerns me. I so wonder if we play the right style of game...I believe it was CT that said the team has been built to suit Bobby Francis' game plan. I hope so.

I can see us having as many as 8 - 20 goal scorers (very optimistic if I do say so myself) but do not see a game breaker anywhere. I long for the day when we have an impact player that gives us a chance to win ala Hawerchuk.

Maybe Kolanos can become that player. Maybe Nagy.

So here's hoping Mara develops into a top 2 guy, Nagy averages over a point a game to finish in the top 20 in scoring, Doan notches 35, our PK and PP rank in the top 10 in the league, the team stays healthy, and we advance to the second round of the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!! :rolly: :handclap:

_Del_
10-09-2003, 11:45 PM
keeping with the negative thoughts...

I'll be slightly more optimistic and say no Burke injury, but 5-1 loss with Nash being carried out on a stretcher.

CoyoteBaloney
10-10-2003, 12:05 AM
St. Louis Blues 2
Phoenix Coyotes 14

Seriously, I will go with a 2-2 tie with the Coyotes giving a great effort for the crowd and Burke being the 2nd star of the game.

_Del_
10-10-2003, 12:24 AM
St. Louis Blues 2
Phoenix Coyotes 14

Seriously, I will go with a 2-2 tie with the Coyotes giving a great effort for the crowd and Burke being the 2nd star of the game.

I'll be happy with 14 SHOTS ;) Seriuosly, anyone else notice that the last two years we've been routinely outshot 30+ to 18.... it always seems to be 18... like Boob watches the jumbotron and sees 18 SF and starts screaming, 'dump it! don't shoot it!' Always 18... We started watching for it the season before last, and while I didnt' keep track of the # of times, it was ALOT...
Just for kicks, I'll say we're outshot 32-18 and we score one or two but give up 4... Only Burke keeps it close...

CoyoteBaloney
10-10-2003, 02:37 AM
St. Louis is good at limiting SoGs too. Regardless, I only care about the SoGs that get past the goalie, not the ones that stay in front.

_Del_
10-10-2003, 02:53 AM
St. Louis is good at limiting SoGs too. Regardless, I only care about the SoGs that get past the goalie, not the ones that stay in front.

Yes, but even you, the eternal optimist, must see that habitually being outshot isn't a good indicator... especially for a 'defensive' coach's 'system'

CoyoteBaloney
10-10-2003, 03:18 AM
They were often out-shot in 2002-2002. It all depends where the shots came from. I will sooner take 1 shot from the slot, close in than 2 shots from the point.

If the Coyotes employ a defensive system why do you expect them to out-shoot the other team?

hbk
10-10-2003, 04:33 AM
2-0 shutout for Phoenix.

Gratton and Nagy with the goals.

For the record I went against my own rule of never selecting a Phoenix/Winnipeg player in a hockey pool by selecting Ladislav Nagy in the 16th round. He was the first Coyote selected and the decision was made because I was getting mad at everyone for bypassing Phoenix. Note: Mike Johnson was the only other Phoenix selection (19th round).

The Viking
10-10-2003, 09:21 AM
They were often out-shot in 2002-2002. It all depends where the shots came from. I will sooner take 1 shot from the slot, close in than 2 shots from the point.

If the Coyotes employ a defensive system why do you expect them to out-shoot the other team?

I think you stated your point ass backwards. I read your post to mean you would prefer to give up 2 shots from the perimeter as compared to 1 from the slot.

If that is what you meant, I agree the quality of the shots is important in determining how important the shot clock really is.

Devils Advocate
10-10-2003, 10:31 AM
You said:" I am ecstatic about what this team is going to look like in a couple of years". Would you care to expand upon that statement sir ?

Sure - 2 to 3 years additional experience for Nagy, Langkow, Johnson, Kolanos, Taffe, Mara, Vaanaanen, Tanabe, Kynazev, Gratton, Spiller, Eager, Ference, Doan, LeNeveu, Hrdina, Podlesak, Branko, McLeod, & Sjostrom. Also, revenue from the new building (Maybe we'll pluck Thornton from the Bruins when they can't afford him), Lots of 'Draper' picks on the way, and the continued blessing of being associated with that Gretzky guy.

Like I've said a million times before, I'm not gonna judge this team based on this years performance (which IMO is extremely short-sighted), but on how this team has been assembled for the future. NOBODY, takes a franchise which was in as bad shape as this one was & turns them into a Cup contender over night.

I'd much rather model this franchise after Ottawa than the Rangers.

CoyoteBaloney
10-10-2003, 11:19 AM
I think you stated your point ass backwards. I read your post to mean you would prefer to give up 2 shots from the perimeter as compared to 1 from the slot.

If that is what you meant, I agree the quality of the shots is important in determining how important the shot clock really is.
WHat i said was not ass backwards. You understood ass backwards. I said I would rather have 1 SoG from the slot than 2 from the point. So I would rather have 1 SoG from the slot and give up 2 point shots.

The Viking
10-10-2003, 11:35 AM
WHat i said was not ass backwards. You understood ass backwards. I said I would rather have 1 SoG from the slot than 2 from the point. So I would rather have 1 SoG from the slot and give up 2 point shots.

I guess I did misunderstand. I assumed that because the topic was defensive hockey, we were talking about shots given up, not shots taken.