Panthers 3, Carolina 1

TheCarneth
10-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Great way to start the season with a big win on home ice. Horton looked very impressive, the first line was getting shots off even though they didnt' really find the back of the net, and good to see Hagman and Huselius get on the scoresheet early on. Hopefully this is the start of a big turnaround at home.

Dave D
10-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Great way to start the season with a big win on home ice. Horton looked very impressive, the first line was getting shots off even though they didnt' really find the back of the net, and good to see Hagman and Huselius get on the scoresheet early on. Hopefully this is the start of a big turnaround on home ice.

Great start, I thought Horton was the best player on the ice tonight. Iron Mike rewarded him by moving him into Cullen's spot on the 2nd Line in the 3rd and that line scored the winner. It's scary but this kid is just getting started, how bout that power move to the net in the first. It won't be long before he moves into that 2nd line job for the remainder of the season. Wow, can't wait till Saturday.

I also thought Luongo was awesome in the 3rd, key saves one off Staal and a 2nd off of Markov were game savers.

Gotta love Odelein not missing a shift when his nose was broken in the first. That guy is character.

Good start,

Thewbacca
10-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Huselius did great along the the boards and in the 3rd Horton was moved to the 2nd line and Cullen sent back to 3rd line. Samuelsson played really well with Hagman both feeding each other some nice passes. Tommorow we have the Rampage playing and Weiss should tear it up and I hope he doesn't get forgotten.

I was hoping for Luongo to get a shutout but 1 goal is nice anyway.

Draft Guru
10-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Huselius did great along the the boards and in the 3rd Horton was moved to the 2nd line and Cullen sent back to 3rd line. Samuelsson played really well with Hagman both feeding each other some nice passes. Tommorow we have the Rampage playing and Weiss should tear it up and I hope he doesn't get forgotten.

I was hoping for Luongo to get a shutout but 1 goal is nice anyway.

Very impressed with Horton tonight. I saw him in the OHL last season and I thought he was at least a year away but he didn't have any problems out there tonight. You guys got yourselves a keeper.

You guys will like Samuelsson as well. Won't be a big goal scorer but very smart defensively and a solid all around player.

jacksheit
10-09-2003, 07:03 PM
HORTON DOMINATED!!!
Man i could only listen to the game but he added a new dimention to the 2nd line when he was moved
very impressive
Hello 2nd line center
he won face offs, hit, passed, powered hsi way through, n shot the puck!!!

CatscratchFever
10-09-2003, 07:51 PM
HORTON DOMINATED!!!
Man i could only listen to the game but he added a new dimention to the 2nd line when he was moved
very impressive
Hello 2nd line center
he won face offs, hit, passed, powered hsi way through, n shot the puck!!!

I was at the game tonite, and even though Horton did well for a rook, and i love that kid, he didn't dominate and even had a couple dumb penalties. That aside, he's definately a keeper. I thought Kristian, Hagman/Samuelsson, and especially Louie :bow: stood out the most tonite. The Cats finally stayed strong at home late in the game. Way to go Panthers!! :handclap: as Saturday draws closer...........Man, i love hockey season!

Coolburn
10-09-2003, 07:52 PM
Just got home a little while ago and had to post my comments from the game. Horton played very well all nite as has been stated. But that 3rd line with Hagman and Samuelsson was a good, high energy line all nite. I loved seeing Mezei hit out there. I was amazed that Biron was actually laying some checks out too but he's still a potential turnover waiting to happen. Van Ryn impressed me with his offensive skills on several runs up ice. Its going to take some time getting used to Bouwmeester with long blond hair...its weird to see. What I found interesting was a faceoff late in the 3rd and Olli was kicked out of the circle and Nilson took that faceoff instead of Kozlov. And Keenan doesn't think he's so good of a center. :dunno: Ritchie took a dumb penalty on that cross checking in the 2nd. Both goaltenders looked really good actually...Weekes just drops to his knees too quickly. I don't think this one game is a representation of the potential this season though. When we see the game against Boston, then we'll know what kind of team we have this season.

jacksheit
10-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Hahahahahaha
LOOK AT ME
<----- i have LONG BLOND HAIR

Heimy
10-09-2003, 08:06 PM
jack

I appreciate your enthusiam but you're starting to over do it. If you have something more to contribute about Horton or anything else go ahead, but please stop repeating the Horton stuff. We all saw him and he WAS terrific, but c'mon, enough is enough.

ps. I would have written you via the PM feature but you've got your PM feature disabled. Please enable it so we can keep the board clean.

Thanks

jacksheit
10-09-2003, 08:11 PM
jack

I appreciate your enthusiam but you're starting to over do it. If you have something more to contribute about Horton or anything else go ahead, but please stop repeating the Horton stuff. We all saw him and he WAS terrific, but c'mon, enough is enough.

ps. I would have written you via the PM feature but you've got your PM feature disabled. Please enable it so we can keep the board clean.

Thanks
Sorry bud, I was excited!
I have waited for teh first game for a long time. and I wanted the Panthers to draft Horton since january. Plus i just found this board. n this board actually has panther fans on it! I am just extreamly please and excited this year.. but ya i'll shut up...

Heimy
10-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Sorry bud, I was excited!
I have waited for teh first game for a long time. and I wanted the Panthers to draft Horton since january. Plus i just found this board. n this board actually has panther fans on it! I am just extreamly please and excited this year.. but ya i'll shut up...

No sweat slick...thanks again :)

Vagrant
10-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Hey guys! Great game tonight for everybody. I thought it was a very exciting game, except for some sloppy play to start off the first 10 minutes of the 3rd period.

1. Horton was totally amazing for you guys. Staal certainly paled in comparison tonight because he was mostly invisible except for that big save Luongo made on him, but Horton should have had a goal on that wrap around. Weekes just got his shoulder on it, as he dropped his stick too early to guard the bottom of the net. We're very fortunate that one didn't get by.

2. Samuelsson and Hagman certainly had some chemistry. Trading down with the pens certainly yielded something worthwhile for you guys if these two can keep playing like that. That scoring play was just fantastic, nice vision and read of which direction Hill was leaning.

3. Luongo looked fantastic. This game could have just as easily been a tie or a loss had Luongo not made some huge saves for you guys. Good to see the pad restrictions haven't limited his play.

Overall, very good game tonight from Florida. Pretty clean too, except for a few Horton penalties. I was actually expecting a closer checking game, but I guess Worrell was the source of animosity between these two clubs. I can't wait to see the continuing saga of Eric Staal vs. Nathan Horton. I have a feeling that rivalry is going to get pretty heated as both of these teams improve.

Don't get too cocky though, we're taking the next one. :D

Dave D
10-09-2003, 08:57 PM
You guys keep mentioning Horton's penalties like they are a bad thing, I thought both of his penalties were bogus, the first one he was just finishing his check, and St. Jacques tried to get out of the way so Horton would only get a piece of him. Then the second one, I thought Horton played it very well a 1 on 1 coming from behind the net. If those are bad penalties, I hope he takes a few more "bad penalties". Cullen's days are numbered with every day that Nedorost is closer to the line-up.

jacksheit
10-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Dave D
Ya i definatly am disapointed with cullen. its not all his fault, he's on a line with weak guys
I think he'll b traded. its obvious keenan has had it with him
I cant think of a team that would take him thou.
Like even with the Mighty Ducks, he was beat'n out by stronger players.
getting cullen AND trinka was a terrible idea

Pie Man
10-09-2003, 11:23 PM
How was J-Bo doing?

Acadmus
10-10-2003, 02:55 AM
You guys keep mentioning Horton's penalties like they are a bad thing, I thought both of his penalties were bogus, the first one he was just finishing his check, and St. Jacques tried to get out of the way so Horton would only get a piece of him. Then the second one, I thought Horton played it very well a 1 on 1 coming from behind the net. If those are bad penalties, I hope he takes a few more "bad penalties". Cullen's days are numbered with every day that Nedorost is closer to the line-up.

Horton's kneeing penalty was bogus, since only their skates touched, causing St. Jacques to stumble. The second one was, unfortunately, a legitimate holding call. But hey! Carolina didn't score, so who cares? :)

Horton did look good, but I saw at least one rookie mistake where he went on net with the puck and tried to beat a defender by stickhandling to get in close instead of either passing to the teammate who was pretty much alongside him and less defended, or just shooting the puck so that player could look for a rebound (I think it was Val Bure). It's not that bad, just a typical rookie mistake since it's a lot easier for good players to do that in juniors.

justapantherfan
10-10-2003, 03:15 AM
All I have to say was... It was great being there again and seeing them win. :handclap:

Jeff Shafer
10-10-2003, 03:27 AM
saw the game on TV defense played well, they put alot of pressure on the fowards of the hurricanes. The PP unit should have had at least one goal but give Weekes credit for holding that. the PK unit looked good too except for the power play goal scored late in the 2nd period. Overall great win and I'm very happy Hagman could get off to such a quick start.

PUCKBOY99
10-10-2003, 04:17 AM
All I have to say is: HOCKEY IS HERE!!!

:handclap: :yo: :handclap: :yo: :handclap:

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 04:58 AM
Congrats on the win last night. You just outplayed us.

But as Caniac said, we are taking the next one!

Rattrick
10-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Horton's kneeing penalty was bogus, since only their skates touched, causing St. Jacques to stumble. The second one was, unfortunately, a legitimate holding call. But hey! Carolina didn't score, so who cares? :)

Thank you very much! That was a HORRIBLE call! The only thing that touched these two players were each of their hips (which I would like to say Horton won that battle ;)).

Heimy
10-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Yeah, that was a weak call. The only thing Horton did was put his hip into him to knock him off the puck. The ref wasn't in position to see yet he threw his arm up anyway.

Gotta like that beastboy! He was terrific! I thought Samuelsson had an outstanding game too. I loved his quote..."if you keep skating it solves a lot of problems." Those are words to live by!

Luongo's save on Markov's pinch in made the difference but I liked the strong forecheck the Panthers pressured with thruout. Great game!

m2k2p
10-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Yeah, that was a weak call. The only thing Horton did was put his hip into him to knock him off the puck. The ref wasn't in position to see yet he threw his arm up anyway.

Gotta like that beastboy! He was terrific! I thought Samuelsson had an outstanding game too. I loved his quote..."if you keep skating it solves a lot of problems." Those are words to live by!

Luongo's save on Markov's pinch in made the difference but I liked the strong forecheck the Panthers pressured with thruout. Great game!

That 3rd line really has tons of energy and has skill as well. I thought Carolina should of been called for obstruction numerous times in the neutral zone, although most of it was just good defense there. The Panthers found ways around it at times, but it made it hard to use all the speed we have...but such is life in the NHL in most games.

Rattrick
10-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Did anyone notice the slash Bure took near center during the last minute or so of the game? He looked at the ref and the ref just pointed toward the play.

Skydog
10-10-2003, 10:06 AM
How was J-Bo doing?

I thought he was terrific. He is going to be an amazing player.

Heimy
10-10-2003, 10:12 AM
ok, let's talk about the weakest link, Biron. I'm praying he'll be sat and Trnka will play tomorrow night. This guy is just too much of a liability.

The thing is, I can see what Dudley and Keenan like about Biron. He's BIG, he skates well and he's got a good first pass. But he just doesn't have a head for the game. He easily could have cost us a goal in the first period with a horrible giveaway in our end, and while the goal scored against us wasn't entirely his fault, he didn't take his man out and he should have. The way he's playing, this guy is gonna cost us games. :rant:

m2k2p
10-10-2003, 10:34 AM
ok, let's talk about the weakest link, Biron. I'm praying he'll be sat and Trnka will play tomorrow night. This guy is just too much of a liability.

The thing is, I can see what Dudley and Keenan like about Biron. He's BIG, he skates well and he's got a good first pass. But he just doesn't have a head for the game. He easily could have cost us a goal in the first period with a horrible giveaway in our end, and while the goal scored against us wasn't entirely his fault, he didn't take his man out and he should have. The way he's playing, this guy is gonna cost us games. :rant:

I agree with you. I think besides those two instances Biron was good, but he has brain farts were he just does'nt seem to be concentrating on what he is doing. My thoughts on the other d-men. J-bo looked awesome and laid out a few canes. He is using his added size to his advantage. Odelein is a tough mofo and did'nt miss a shift after getting hit in the face with a puck. He is a good example for these young guys and played really solid. I thought Van Ryn except for one blind giveaway pass around the boards (might of been a forwards fault for not being over there as well) looked like a long time nhl vet. Mezei looks really good and I think will improve even more as the season goes along. Lilja was very solid as always.

Captain8
10-10-2003, 10:41 AM

Yeah, Biron is big but tends to play small and doesn't read the play all that well in his own zone. Otoh, Trnka isn't all that physical himself; he also plays very stiff and his decisions with the puck are often questionable as well, though his positioning is generally a bit more sound.

Last night was my first look at Van Ryn in a while. I thought he had a mixed outing, but I could see him eventually displacing Biron if Krajicek gets called up and lives up to his billing.

Acadmus
10-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Thank you very much! That was a HORRIBLE call! The only thing that touched these two players were each of their hips (which I would like to say Horton won that battle ;)).

I didn't even see that much contact...looked like their skates crossed, that was all. At worst you could call a trip, but really the fault was mutual. :rolleyes:

Acadmus
10-10-2003, 10:54 AM
saw the game on TV defense played well, they put alot of pressure on the fowards of the hurricanes.

That's something I noticed, too. I only caught most of the last half of the game (tuned in around the 11 minutes-to-go mark in the 2nd). Virtually every time the puck was shot on Roberto I saw something I haven't seen in a Panthers game in a long time: a stick from a Panthers defenseman reaching in to clear the puck away from the front of the net.
Believe me, I'm already grateful for the addition of Odelein, and think he's a great pickup (though he took his time noticing the puck was right behind him in on one play in the third, but he still managed to get it out of immediate threat of being shot on net).

I had to laugh out loud at one of the faceoffs near the end of the game in the Panther's zone. Panthers win the puck, and the players run into each other like they're playing football. Carolina trying to drive the net, Panthers d and forwards all blocking until Luongo froze the puck. They needed to review which sport they were playing :rolly:

Heimy
10-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Yeah, Biron is big but tends to play small and doesn't read the play all that well in his own zone. Otoh, Trnka isn't all that physical himself; he also plays very stiff and his decisions with the puck are often questionable as well, though his positioning is generally a bit more sound.

Last night was my first look at Van Ryn in a while. I thought he had a mixed outing, but I could see him eventually displacing Biron if Krajicek gets called up and lives up to his billing.

I disagree on Trnka not being all that physical. He is far more willing to take the body, especially more so than Biron.

Agree on Van Ryn. He was much better in the X-game I saw. Last night he found himself in trouble in his end a few times allowing for extensive time in our zone. The thing I DO like about him is his decisiveness. He's quick to read the play and move the puck up and out.

When Krajicek is ready I expect to see a similar but superior version of Van Ryn. Lukas is neither big enough or strong enough to body a man off the puck. Instead he'll contain him, tying him up until his partner (or a forward) comes in to help. This speaks to the need for involvement from the forwards...and I was glad to see they were handy.