Lyashenko

lubomirvaic
10-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Tuned into the Flames/Nucks game tonight, and Vancouver had a great moment of silence for Dan Snyder as most teams did. I think that's a great idea, but has everyone forgotton about Roman Lyashenko this quickly? Please don't take this the wrong way, as I understand the circumstances of the two are quite different, but shouldn't there be a little consideration towards the former as well? Does anyone else have any thoughts about this either?

SedinFan*
10-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Tuned into the Flames/Nucks game tonight, and Vancouver had a great moment of silence for Dan Snyder as most teams did. I think that's a great idea, but has everyone forgotton about Roman Lyashenko this quickly? Please don't take this the wrong way, as I understand the circumstances of the two are quite different, but shouldn't there be a little consideration towards the former as well? Does anyone else have any thoughts about this either?

Didnt he commit suicide?

kmad
10-09-2003, 11:10 PM
I thought he was the guy in the Wings' system, in Russia he was running and he got a hemorrage or something

me2
10-10-2003, 12:39 AM
I think a decision to commit suicide isn't probably something teams will recognize with a moment of silence. It's an entirely different situation with Snyder.

So suicide doesn't deserve it but driving around recklessly (or being a party to it) until you get killed does?

I Hate You All*
10-10-2003, 02:25 AM
Unfortunately, I do not know exactly who Roman Lyashenko was or when his death occurred. Although his name does sound familiar and I vaguely remember hearing about his death on the radio.

One possible reason that comes to mind is the sensitivity of the subject of suicide. Personally, when I think about the topic of suicide it immediately makes me uncomfortable. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of others feel that way when they find out that someone they know is thinking about committing suicide. In the case that it actually does happen and someone dies from it, the uneasiness becomes monumentally greater. When this occurs I always try to figure out what must have been so wrong in the person's life for him/her to take it. But no matter how hard I try to be understanding of what was going through the person's mind, I can never see it as justifiable. The conclusion that I come to, as cold as it may sound, is that something must have been 'wrong' with the person in order for the person to take his/her life. No matter how close the person is I just can't justify their action, I take the easy way out by simply thinking something was wrong with them, and try to forget about it ASAP instead of beating my brain to death trying to understand.
It's late and I hope that made sense.
The main point I'm trying to make is it is there is just something eerie about suicide that makes people not want to discuss it and sweep it under the rug.

I think people are more willing to be sympathetic to the Snyder and Heatley incident because it was an accident. As reckless as Heatley was, we see the aftermath - a person dead at the young age of twenty-five leaving behind mourning friends and family, and an even younger friend who will have to cope with this loss and responsibility for the rest of his life - and as a result our sense of empathy comes out.

BCCHL inactive
10-10-2003, 03:44 AM
The reason Lyashenko was not given a league-wide moment of silence is because his death happened 4 months ago....also the fact that he only played 2 NHL games last season.

Same thing with Roger Nielson....the only teams to pay tribute to him last night were Vancouver and Ottawa.

jeffbrown
10-10-2003, 06:25 AM
Lyashenko was in the Dallas system, then signed on with the Rangers in the past few years.

He was vacationing, apparently, with his mother and sister, wrote a note then committed himself.

This is obviously a sensitive topic, but I think it was a combination of things that a moment of silence wasn't observed:

1. Lyashenko committed suicide several months ago
2. He was not a full-time NHL'er (would you argue that the NHL rinks should have done the same for Jordin Tootoo's brother Terence?)

Jon Burke
10-10-2003, 10:07 AM

I thought of that too. It's a shame that it seems that Lyashenko has been forgotten. I'm sure he has not however. Anyone know if the Rangers did any sort of a recognition of his death?

me2
10-10-2003, 07:36 PM
So suicide doesn't deserve it but driving around recklessly (or being a party to it) until you get killed does?

Exactly. Snyder wasn't behind the wheel and we don't know if he was encouraging Heatley to speed or maybe slow down. Only Heatley knows.

And if Snyder wasn't trying to slow Heatley down?

And furthermore, If Snyder was indeed encouraging Heatley I don't exactly think he planned on getting himself killed. Unlike Lyashenko who made a choice and went through with it.

If Mario offed himself because he got cancer again and couldn't live through the pain again, I suppose that there should be no rememberance because it was suicide?

me2
10-10-2003, 07:38 PM
This is obviously a sensitive topic, but I think it was a combination of things that a moment of silence wasn't observed:

1. Lyashenko committed suicide several months ago
2. He was not a full-time NHL'er (would you argue that the NHL rinks should have done the same for Jordin Tootoo's brother Terence?)

And Snyder wasn't a full time NHLer either, just 49 games total IIRC.

I suspect you are right about the 2nd point (timing), but I also think it has as much or more to do with who was driving the car. If Snyder had have crashed back in June with no one else around, then it would have raised a ripple outside of Atlanta.

If Heatley and Lyashenko had been depressed (and severe depression is a mental illness) and killed themselves 2 weeks ago I'm sure we'd be seeing the same sort of ceremonies.

lubomirvaic
10-10-2003, 08:24 PM
This was all exactly what I was originally thinking. It only seems right that since the Canucks held memorials for both Snyder and Neilsen, it just seems they should have included Lyashenko in with them. Not that he was as successful or memorable as Roger, or as fresh in everyone's minds as Snyder, but just to make it right. From my understanding (which, admittily is limited), Lyashenko may have had either a mental illness or possibly a tie to the Russian mafia in some way. I do not support suicide in any way, but I also don't think he should have been excluded simply because it was how he passed away.

SopelFan*
10-10-2003, 09:14 PM
The Canucks didn't do anything for Herb Brooks either did they? I think they do things for recent deaths or ones that have an impact on the organization.

SopelFan*
10-10-2003, 09:15 PM
They did do a tribute to Lyashenko and Brooks on their site though.