Kings vs Penguins (10.10.03)

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 03:33 AM
SCOUTING REPORT

Matchup: Penguins vs Los Angeles Kings, 7:42 p.m. today, Mellon Arena.

TV, radio: Fox Sports Net; WWSW-FM (94.5), WBGG-AM (970).

Probable goaltenders: Marc-Andre Fleury for Penguins. Roman Cechmanek for Kings.

Penguins: Have 15-15-6 record in season-openers, including four consecutive losses, and 19-10-7 mark in first game at home. ... Are 31-44-6-3 at Mellon Arena since end of 2000-01 season. ... D Josef Melichar has played 86 games in NHL, but none against Kings.

Kings: Are 6-0-1 in past seven games against Penguins. ... RW Zigmund Palffy has 18 goals, 20 assists in 25 games against Penguins. ... Former Penguins LW Luc Robitaille, in third stint with Kings, ranks 10th on NHL's all-time goals list, with 631 before facing Red Wings.

Hidden stat: Twenty-six of Penguins LW Kelly Buchberger's 104 career goals have been game-winners.

link (http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins/20031010penslogpens5p5.asp)

Also goes to point out that our injuries are Steve McKenna and Michal Rozsival. We have it easy compared to Los Angeles. Jason Allison, Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, Jared Aulin, Mike Cammalleri, and Brad Norton are all out.

Who all is going to the game?

Darth Vitale
10-10-2003, 05:37 AM
I'll be there in spirit, watching on NHLCI.

:D

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 05:50 AM

Yeah, I'll be watching on FSN.

Wish I could afford to go to some of the games.

GoRyanMalone
10-10-2003, 05:51 AM

Is that any good? Do they have it in HD? or is that too expensive?

john g
10-10-2003, 07:05 AM
7 hours and 42 minutes until game time:yo:

wasnt going to order Center Ice this season, but I couldnt resist

No Quarter
10-10-2003, 07:09 AM
Can't afford it tonight, I just dropped a mint in Disney this past week.

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 07:14 AM
Any predictions as to the outcome of tonight's game?

No Quarter
10-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Any predictions as to the outcome of tonight's game?

Fleury will blank the Kings and Fata will score the winning goal with 2 minutes left in the third.

Mr. T
10-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Fleury will blank the Kings and Fata will score the winning goal with 2 minutes left in the third.

What are the powerball numbers for next week?

No Quarter
10-10-2003, 07:37 AM
What are the powerball numbers for next week?

I wish I knew brother, I wish I knew.

GoRyanMalone
10-10-2003, 08:39 AM
I wish I knew brother, I wish I knew.

Norstom's injured, so, pens win. No problem.

Ric Flair
10-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Wish I could afford to go to some of the games.

Student rush dude, only $20.

AEKaki
10-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Koltsov will score 2 goals.
Fleury will do real good.

Evilo
10-10-2003, 09:14 AM
3-1, Mario with a goal, two assists, one goal for both Morozov (PP) and Koltsov.
Fleury will stop 20-25 shots.

OK, time to get back to my crystal ball....

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Student rush dude, only $20.

Yes, but you have to be a student for that to take effect.

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 10:18 AM
I'm thinking the Penguins will lose 3-2.

Ric Flair
10-10-2003, 10:29 AM
I'll say 4-1 loss for the pens.

RedRumNJD
10-10-2003, 10:42 AM
I'm a pessimist. Pens get shut out, 3-0. Damn.

Darth Vitale
10-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Is that any good? Do they have it in HD? or is that too expensive?

The HD part is dependant upon the source feed. So for example if CBC broadcasts a game in HD or ESPN does, and that's the feed they pick up, then yes you'll get HD. Otherwise no. As for what's too expensive I guess that's a subjective question but [in my case I obviously think it's worthwhile. Can't beat every game, every week for ~$140.]

:) Seriously, if you think you'd watch at least 4-6 games a week, it's worth it because you get to watch exactly the teams you want to watch. You're not at a network's mercy. Unless you live in Chicago, then you're at Bill Wirtz's mercy during home stands... in which case you cheer for other WC teams like the Canucks.

Prediction: Pens 4 - 3 in OT

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-10-2003, 11:21 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the pens win 7-1. Lemieux will score a hat trick while picking up 4 assists. Other pens goals will go to Straka (2), Koltsov, and Morozov. Palffy will score the kings only goal. Fleury will stop 23 shots. :D

PensFan27
10-10-2003, 12:42 PM
I'll be at the game and I say Pens win 3-1....empty net goal by koltsov with time running out :handclap:

Son of Steinbrenner
10-10-2003, 01:54 PM
8-0 kings

V for Voodoo
10-10-2003, 02:50 PM
fleury lets in a goal on his first ever shot against, and what a shot it was

Big McLargehuge
10-10-2003, 03:20 PM
Fleury was great in the first period. Only flaw is a perfect breakaway shot...on his first shot against. What a shame.

Pens got dominated in the first, Fleury kept us in it.

GoKINGSGo
10-10-2003, 03:27 PM
fleury lets in a goal on his first ever shot against, and what a shot it was

I have never felt so bad about a Kings goal. Poor kid!

GoPenguins
10-10-2003, 03:31 PM
It was an unfortunate start to the game, but he kept a clean sheet for the rest of the period, thankfully. We looked very rusty. It was very obvious to see who had played recently. Still, they only conceded one and towards the end of the period the Pens seemed to wake up a little.

We need to use the assets we have (speed, hustle) and hopefully we can wear down the Kings, who may tire in the third after such a big loss the night before.

Viper306
10-10-2003, 04:02 PM
OMG, what the hell, do the penguins not know how to shoot the puck? A puck on the net is always a good thing. When you get out shot you lose the game. We need someone to step up and shoot. If you want to score shoot the fricking puck!, What's with all this 2nd and 3rd pass bs??!!!!Speed is of no use if you do not shoot.

Also, Fleury is the real deal, keeping the pens in the game like that.

Big McLargehuge
10-10-2003, 04:16 PM
The penalties are getting a bit excessive now...to say the least.

I believe 7 strait calls against the Pens, all legit, including 2 5-minute majors.

Plus Simpson and Orpik are gone for the game.

Think they're frustrated?

Ticallion961
10-10-2003, 04:21 PM
32-8 in shots

glad we drafted Fleury

anyone watching the game?

was the orpik knee a cheap shot, or did Gleason try and get out of the way of the hit

Big McLargehuge
10-10-2003, 04:23 PM
as they were saying on the broadcast, it was originally a clean hit but Gleason was avoiding it and Orpik, just on a knee jerk reaction, stuck out the knee to finish the hit.

He'll probably be suspended for a few games...

Ticallion961
10-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Good stick work on the penalty shot

seems like he is leaving an impression on the fans.

Big McLargehuge
10-10-2003, 05:07 PM
52 shots on goal for the Kings...good lord.

49 saves on 51 for Fleury

10 for 10 for Huet...

Ticallion961
10-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Fleury the first star..didn't see that coming

Ric Flair
10-10-2003, 05:09 PM
I like the new system of giving up 80 shots a game.

RedRumNJD
10-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Do I get anything for predicting the correct score? Scoring a goal would've been nice, but something told me they'd get shut out. Same thing happened last year, I believe. The only good news is that I think after the Pens lost 6-0 in the opener to the Leafs last year, didn't they turn around and crunch the Rangers the next night? Can't remember exactly.

Anyway, good game by Fleury, lackluster game by everyone else. The fans might love him, but send the poor kid back to juniors. He doesn't need or deserve this kind of punishment night in and night out.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Well, the pens played bad, to say the least. If they can take less penalties and shake off the rust tommorow, hopefully they'll suprise philly. 3-0 loss. We might see a lot of these but I can accept it now (unlike last year and the year before).

Big McLargehuge
10-10-2003, 05:19 PM
As a longtime Pirates fan these things don't really phase me this much, but Fleury's performance.

just...wow...

Hockeypuck
10-10-2003, 05:21 PM
As a longtime Pirates fan these things don't really phase me this much, but Fleury's performance.

just...wow...I'm not a Pens fan,but after watching Fleury tonight all I can say is WOW tonight. The kid will be a stud for many years to come and I look forward to watching him.

missionhockey21
10-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Wowhttp://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

Fleury must be the real deal. Lets hope we can build around this kid.

Ric Flair
10-10-2003, 05:31 PM
I'm extremely impressed by Fleury. I expected alot but he exceeded my expectations. He seemed very poised, specially on that penalty shot. It was only one game but I think he showed what he is capable of. It was also great to see pens fans on their feet and cheering. Hopefully this kid will help draw a crowd or at least gettin people talking about something other than the stillerz.

Alex Kovalev
10-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Pathetic... 10 shots on goal. No Allison, No Deadmarsh, LA playing back to back games.... Brutle.

Fleury looked extremely solid though, I honestly wasnt expecting him to play that good. By that good, I mean amazing. :)

I wonder if Orpik will get suspended

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm extremely impressed by Fleury. I expected alot but he exceeded my expectations. He seemed very poised, specially on that penalty shot. It was only one game but I think he showed what he is capable of. It was also great to see pens fans on their feet and cheering. Hopefully this kid will help draw a crowd or at least gettin people talking about something other than the stillerz.

My sentiments exactly.

Ric Flair
10-10-2003, 05:50 PM
I wonder if Orpik will get suspended

I'd say it's a good possibility. Knee to knees are just ugly to watch, made me cringe.

Alex Kovalev
10-10-2003, 05:52 PM
I'd say it's a good possibility. Knee to knees are just ugly to watch, made me cringe.

I only saw it once, I wouldnt mind a better look. From what I saw though, I have seen much worse - though it was only one look.

Ric Flair
10-10-2003, 05:53 PM
I only saw it once, I wouldnt mind a better look. From what I saw though, I have seen much worse - though it was only one look.

Yeah I've seen much worse, many by Marchment but still they have to be consistent with the suspensions.

DJyellow
10-10-2003, 05:54 PM
I'm a pessimist. Pens get shut out, 3-0. Damn.
:bow:

We are not worthy...

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 05:54 PM

I don't think it was intentional, but you are right.. I'm sure it will get a good look from Campbell.

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 05:55 PM
I just got home, and didn't get to see much of the game. Why did Morozov only play nine minutes?

Ric Flair
10-10-2003, 05:56 PM
I just got home, and didn't get to see much of the game. Why did Morozov only play nine minutes?

Ask RaiderZero.

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Ask RaiderZero.

I'm serious.. We had 10 or so shots.. Why is one of our best offensive players (and I use that phrase loosely) playing less than 10 minutes?

Was he that bad?

Ric Flair
10-10-2003, 06:01 PM
I'm serious.. We had 10 or so shots.. Why is one of our best offensive players (and I use that phrase loosely) playing less than 10 minutes?

Was he that bad?

He was on a line with Simpson for awhile which didn't make much sense to me. I'd expect some shufflin for tomorrows game. I didn't Morozov played horribly but I think he would do best on a line with 66.

Big McLargehuge
10-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Olcyzk was a dumbass when it came to the O-lines apparently. Zero chemestry between anyone.

And the whole Morozov playing on the fourth line for the bulk of the game...

JDB3939
10-10-2003, 06:20 PM
I was at the game. So as usual I'll give you guys my rundown of the game.

Mario. Maybe if he didn't have 3 guys up his ass all night he could have done something. No one got him the puck. Mario isn't a kid anymore, he can't be everywhere

Olcyk's new defensive zone coverage system sucks. Plain and simple. Get real defenseman and use a real system. The system in place has the wingers pinching too low to help the defenseman and we can't get it out. LA has no great offensive pointment. If we do that again Detriot will kill us with Lidstrom, Schneider, ect next Saturday.

Simpson - Eastwood - Buchberger. They played great and did everything a good checking line should do.

Orpik. My main man Brooks. The penalty was ********. Watching it in the arena, the idiot rookie decided to try and dodge the big hit and got himself hurt. He was lined up and was gonna go down hard, but jumping out of a hit like that with one foot on the ice will destroy your knee. The kid was stupid for trying to dodge it past the "point of no return". Orpik played a good game, especially the second period when he settled down. He beat the **** out of Sims too. Way to go Brooks. We need physical hardnose smart defensive play, I hope he keeps it up.

Malone played very aggresive and I think he had as good of a game as a player could have in that disaster.

Murley was the same way, worked his ass off all night.

Koltsov saw very limited chances and had 3 guys on him anytime he started to skate. This kid is a rookie and they are already marking him like Mario, it's disgusting. He would be pushing 2 guys down the ice the whole night because they were in his shirt.

Fata played hard, gotta give him credit.

Focht and Baumgarnter. I am so disgusted with both of their play. They are idiot defenseman who after that game need to go back to Mites and learn the basics of defense. NEVER UP THE MIDDLE DUMBASS!

Berehowsky played an alright game. Some good stuff, some bad stuff. Wasn't impressed of him or pissed at him. Not too bad for that game.

Holzinger seemed completely useless.

Now to Fleury.... OH MY GOD. I am speechless. Whatever we are paying him, he is officially worth every penny. He is so fast, so well positioned, so mentally tough. It was the single best performance I've ever seen a netminder toss in. The Frolov doorstop save, and the 4 rebound stop just before the second goal, the penalty shot save, it all. He was just incredible. We have one HUGE f'in bright spot to our team now.

Edit: I almost forgot. Morozov was f'in useless. He played on the second line to start the game with Malone and Fata. And when he blew our only good chances of the first period(all 4 of them), he got yanked. Malone and Fata were so active and energetic and were creating chances and Morozov laziness and lackluster play cancelled out any good things the other 2 did. That's why he didn't play.

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 06:23 PM
I'll try to remain mildly optimistic... But I didn't like what I saw.

We got shutout in the first game last year too. Remember what happened in the second game?

Hey.. a guy can hope.

Pensfan66
10-10-2003, 06:37 PM
I wonder why Abid was scratched, was he hurt?

Disco Volante
10-10-2003, 07:39 PM
I wonder why Abid was scratched, was he hurt?

That's exactly what I came here to ask.... so?

CFABoy
10-10-2003, 08:05 PM
If Fleury gets shell-shocked night in night out, his confidence will eventually be shot , I don't care how good the kid is. I'm concerned that this will set him back from a confidence standpoint. Does DiPietro , Blackburn, Cloutier, etc. ring a bell?

tom_servo
10-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Admirable post, JDB, but I the players I saw were chasing the Kings around their own end for 45 minutes. Except for a few who were tolerable (and MAF), they were pretty much all useless.

Save for the goalie, it was an embarrassing game not worthy of the 3-0 score.

Pensfan66
10-10-2003, 08:14 PM
I wonder what lineup changes there will be tonight. Morosov better be on the 2nd line not the 4th. Ramzi Abid should definitly play tonight in place of Simpson or maybe Holzinger. Holzinger is as close to useless as you can get. Also does anyone think Milan Kraft will be gone when Mckenna comes back next week?

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 08:16 PM
If Fleury gets shell-shocked night in night out, his confidence will eventually be shot , I don't care how good the kid is. I'm concerned that this will set him back from a confidence standpoint. Does DiPietro , Blackburn, Cloutier, etc. ring a bell?

No.

spence___
10-10-2003, 08:30 PM
Also does anyone think Milan Kraft will be gone when Mckenna comes back next week?

If they were going to get rid of him they wouldve done it already. Think about it, why would they pay him at his NHL rate if they had no intention of using him?

spence___
10-10-2003, 08:32 PM
I'm concerned that this will set him back from a confidence standpoint. Does DiPietro , Blackburn, Cloutier, etc. ring a bell?

Where would Belfour and Barasso figure into your comparison?

Jacob
10-10-2003, 09:03 PM
It didn't take long for the fans to realize that, in reality, nothing has changed. A short-handed breakaway 30 seconds into the game. That's the Penguins hockey I know and, just know.

Fleury was amazing. And it was his first game! I know he won't play as well as he did tonight EVERY night, but can he possibly get any better??

Proffessor G DIDDY
10-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Geez what a poor game. I would of expected Edzo to have a bad game but this come on. Pittsburgh really needed to consider the coaching situation heavily we haven't been in the playoffs for 2 two seasons. And while Atlanta and Florida are going and buying championship coaches we are hiring rookies to get the job done. A good coach can make the difference, we have a lot good rookies. Rather than Buchberger, Simpson, Eastwood and Berehowsky, i'd go out get a guy like Larry Robinson or Brent Peterson, guys who have produced winners. I think Patrick made a stupid and unsafe decision in Edzo.

blah
10-11-2003, 01:53 AM
Anybody think Fluery or Caron will set the single game record for most saves this season?

Evilo
10-11-2003, 02:36 AM
There's still Denis...
He's pretty good at stopping loads of shots too...

Krom
10-11-2003, 05:09 AM
Actually, I expected them to look this bad. I knew they'd come in stale after not playing for so long. They were playing a well-coached team that plays excellent road games. The King's injuries merely brought their talent level closer to the Pens'. It was the NHL debut for the coach, the goalie, and two other players. At least five others were playing their first game for the team. We were told this summer that this was a rebuilding project and that the team was in survival mode. I didn't expect anything more.

As far as the game itself, they played one third of it shorthanded. Fleury showed that he is likely (not just has the potential) to be a star. I felt Buchberger showed heart and will be a positive influence.

I'll probably watch this season like I would watch a kid's little league games (no slam intended). The score isn't as important as what is learned by the players. Let's see if there is improvement individually and as a system every ten games or so.

Kings Fanatic
10-11-2003, 05:53 AM
Orpik. My main man Brooks. The penalty was ********. Watching it in the arena, the idiot rookie decided to try and dodge the big hit and got himself hurt. He was lined up and was gonna go down hard, but jumping out of a hit like that with one foot on the ice will destroy your knee. The kid was stupid for trying to dodge it past the "point of no return". Orpik played a good game, especially the second period when he settled down. He beat the **** out of Sims too. Way to go Brooks. We need physical hardnose smart defensive play, I hope he keeps it up.

Wow, and I thought I was a homer. You gotta be kidding me. Orpik lead entirely with his frickin knee. Look at the replays. He Marchmented Gleason on that play. Way to go Brooks? You have problems.

On another note, it looks like you guys have a stud goalie for many years. Damn was he impressive. Nice to see Fleury live up to the hype. At least Belanger can always be remembered for scoring first against him.

Big McLargehuge
10-11-2003, 08:15 AM
Some good news, Gleason only has a bruised knee and will only miss nominal playing time.

That probably cuts Orpik's suspension a little.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-11-2003, 08:39 AM
From the replay I saw, it looked like Orpik was suprised that Gleason got a bit out of the way and it was too late too stop. I think he didn't know what to do because he knew a collision was inevitable. Orpik doesn't have a reputation for that, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

CFABoy
10-11-2003, 10:55 AM
No.

ok?

Jacob
10-11-2003, 11:54 AM
HAHA, it was dirty as can be, i hope he gets over 3 games, you don't stick your knee out on a player at all let alone one with knee problems.
I'm sure Orpik was thinking about that the whole time. :rolleyes:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-11-2003, 03:50 PM
It looked like Orpik tripped over his legs almost. :dunno: