NBA: Favorite to win it all..

Ajacied
10-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Lots of changes among the main contenders this past off-season, but who in your opinion is the clear cut favorite to win it all upcoming season?

Hellström
10-31-2005, 10:26 AM
I had to decide between San Antonio and Miami and gave the Spurs the notch.
Finley will be a good new part of the team and will cover the loss of Brown.

Belgian Fan
10-31-2005, 10:33 AM
1. Spurs
2. Miami (more depending on good health, SA is deeper)
3. The rest

Ajacied
10-31-2005, 10:42 AM
1. Spurs
2. Miami (more depending on good health, SA is deeper)
3. The rest

I don't think I actually have a clear cut favorite..

The Spurs, Pistons and Heat remain the cream of the crop in my humble opinion.

The Spurs are the defending champs and have strenghten themselves with Oberto, Finley and van Excel, but they will not be the underdog they've always seen themselves. Never was there more pressure on the Spurs to win it all than now. The Heat have Shaq, Wade and now Walker as well as a few more additions. Shaq can carry teams like no one else and this might be one of his final years he's in 'top' condition. The Pistons are always feisty and still posses the most well-rounded top 5 in the NBA.

Ar-too
10-31-2005, 11:16 AM
I don't remember being so uninspired by the start of an NBA season since the lockout.

Avery4Byng*
10-31-2005, 11:54 AM
I don't remember being so uninspired by the start of an NBA season since the lockout.
No doubt.....

Tuggy
10-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Should be an interesting year with the amount of player movement. I of course like the favorites mentioned...Spurs, Heat but I also like a couple of teams that seem to fly under the radar a little. The Houston Rockets and the Denver Nuggets. I'm expecting big things from the Rockets this year and I think they could make a run. Same goes for the Nuggets. Both teams have super talented rosters and IMO are capable of making a serious playoff run.

12# Peter Bondra
10-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Spurs
Heat
Pistons

Belgian Fan
10-31-2005, 04:58 PM
I don't think I actually have a clear cut favorite..

The Spurs, Pistons and Heat remain the cream of the crop in my humble opinion.

The Spurs are the defending champs and have strenghten themselves with Oberto, Finley and van Excel, but they will not be the underdog they've always seen themselves. Never was there more pressure on the Spurs to win it all than now. The Heat have Shaq, Wade and now Walker as well as a few more additions. Shaq can carry teams like no one else and this might be one of his final years he's in 'top' condition. The Pistons are always feisty and still posses the most well-rounded top 5 in the NBA.

I think Walker was the worst move the heat could have made. I like the pickup of Williams though, when Shaq's sitting he and Wade will be able to run almost everyone off the court. But Walker? He takes and misses so many threes and he could be a locker room problem without much time / shots.

Posey was a good pickup though I think.

The difference with the Spurs is that the guys they've signed know they'll have to be content playing in an established system that won't be changed too much for them.

Hellström
10-31-2005, 05:11 PM
I think Walker was the worst move the heat could have made. I like the pickup of Williams though, when Shaq's sitting he and Wade will be able to run almost everyone off the court. But Walker? He takes and misses so many threes and he could be a locker room problem without much time / shots.

Agree - the Heat should use Haslem most of the time, since i do think that support for Shaq is more needed and Walker as a PF is shooting way too much from outside to give a regular support against the bigger men.

Williams-Wade-X-Haslem-O´Neal looks like a solid mix to me, but the Spurs get the notch, since they´re set at every position, they do have depth and Mohammed will suprise here and then. Excellent bench with veteran guys who fill in pretty good.

Pistons: the addition of Evans and Maxiell was good but as good as they are close to the ring, the ugly they´re away from the ring and only if Hamilton starts shooting threes (and making a three-pointer here and then) they´ll remain a pretty good team - but nothing more.
I expect Tayshaun Prince to have a superb year and improve again - way to go Prince Octopus
:)

Vic Rattlehead*
10-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Spurs. They now have the deepest team in the league.

Chileiceman
10-31-2005, 09:33 PM
The Raptors might have a chance in the israeli league

Mathletic
10-31-2005, 09:59 PM
spurs

luv_canadian_hockey
10-31-2005, 10:04 PM
the spurs because they won last year...my hometown team has absolutely no chance..i dont see a win for the raptors for a LONG TIME CAUSE THEY SUCK :madfire: !!!

Mathletic
10-31-2005, 10:12 PM
the spurs because they won last year...my hometown team has absolutely no chance..i dont see a win for the raptors for a LONG TIME CAUSE THEY SUCK :madfire: !!!

well, should be good to watch the rookies this year. Vilanueva and Graham seem to play well in preseason and I'm sure they'll be good ones

Bruinaholic
10-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Gotta be the Celtics.....if they dont go all the way to winning the draft lottery id be shocked and appauled :sarcasm:

Cruiser008
11-01-2005, 02:15 AM

I sorta agree... right now the spurs are just too good, it's like everyone else is fighting for 2nd.

GKJ
11-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Should be an interesting year with the amount of player movement. I of course like the favorites mentioned...Spurs, Heat but I also like a couple of teams that seem to fly under the radar a little. The Houston Rockets and the Denver Nuggets. I'm expecting big things from the Rockets this year and I think they could make a run. Same goes for the Nuggets. Both teams have super talented rosters and IMO are capable of making a serious playoff run.

The Nuggets need to get to the 2nd round first...

Tuggy
11-01-2005, 07:20 AM
The Nuggets need to get to the 2nd round first...

You're right, they do. But I like the Rockets more this year then the Nuggets. I think it's going to be a Spurs/Rockets West Final. Tracey and Yao will take them to the promise land!

Naoned
11-01-2005, 12:48 PM
1. Spurs
2. Pistons
3. Heat
4. Suns
5. Pacers

sveiglar
11-01-2005, 01:28 PM
The Suns still have 60% of the greatest starting five in history intact, so that's gotta be worth something...

Ajacied
11-01-2005, 01:31 PM
The Suns still have 60% of the greatest starting five in history intact, so that's gotta be worth something...

I wonder if this "greatest starting five" scenario will take over "Martin Skoula's puckpoise" here at HF..

sveiglar
11-01-2005, 01:36 PM
I wonder if this "greatest starting five" scenario will take over "Martin Skoula's puckpoise" here at HF..

People still show proper deference when talking about Chad Kilger, so you never know...

Ar-too
11-01-2005, 02:04 PM

It will have to beat out the "#1 CB in the league" here on this particular board first.

sveiglar
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
It will have to beat out the "#1 CB in the league" here on this particular board first.

I must have missed that one. Let me guess, it's a Chief...?

Psycho Papa Joe
11-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Gotta be the Celtics.....if they dont go all the way to winning the draft lottery id be shocked and appauled :sarcasm:
The Raptors have the inside track on that one.

StevenintheATL
11-06-2005, 07:58 PM
The Hawks....if the planes carrying the rest of the NBA teams were to crash. If the Hawks make the playoffs this year, it'll be them squeaking in. But the chances of the Hawks even competing for a playoff spot are about as much as Steve Belkin returning to the ownership of the team.......

My pick, the Mavs.

The Mars Volchenkov
11-06-2005, 08:01 PM
I thought the Nuggets would be the Spurs biggest competition this year until Nene went down on opening night. He's a big part of the team. Now I think they've moved below Houston as a team that can challenge the Spurs. 'Melo looks pretty good this year, he's improved his all-around play, which is what has been criticized.

Cruiser008
11-06-2005, 09:50 PM
The Pistons absolutely DESTROYED the Raptors last night. It was a treat to watch! :D

The Spurs will win it all, but for a team who was 8 minutes away from back to back rings the Pistons still can't get any respect (from looking at the votes at least, considering they have no votes while Phoenix has 3 already).

two out of three*
11-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Honestly, the Clippers starting 5 can compete with anyone's in the league.

Pavel
11-07-2005, 10:03 AM
1. Spurs
2. Pistons
3. Heat
4. Pacers
5. Rockets

benji
11-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I'll go with Miami. But SA is scary.

Chaos
11-07-2005, 05:22 PM
1. Spurs- Defending champs only got better, although Finley is done
2. Pistons- 2 time finalists, I expect them there again
3. Heat- Any team with Shaq is a contender
4. Mavericks- Believe it or not, they can actually play defense now
5. Pacers- Still have a very strong and deep team
6. Nuggets- I loke what they have, I think they could be the Suns of this season
7. Suns- If Amare can return to his previous form(big if), then they might have a shot
8. Rockets- The most overrated team in the league. They added nothing but mediocre players this offseason and yet have all the 'experts' putting them in the conference Finals despite having the choker McGrady still on the roster.

Roughneck
11-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Honestly, the Clippers starting 5 can compete with anyone's in the league.

They still need to be able to work as a team, if they can, I agree, they could suprise alot of people. Elton Brand may very well be the most underrated player in the league IMO.

The Mars Volchenkov
11-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Elton Brand may very well be the most underrated player in the league IMO.
Marcus Camby.

Cruiser008
11-12-2005, 12:52 AM
I wonder why there isn't a Raptors season thread around here? Since they are unofficially Canada's basketball team. :D

Rakiet*
11-12-2005, 01:00 AM
How long is Shaq out? I'm sure they can't wait to have him back