You're the coach - matching lines versus the Oil on Saturday

Mizral
10-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Who do you guys play our checking lines against? Last night, the Arvedson/Linden/Cooke line got passing grades on shutting down the Flames' top line. But on the Oilers, it's kind of tricky.

I'd match 'em up against the Smyth line (whomever is on it) if you ask me.. I think that line has Isbister and Hemsky on the wings, but I'm not sure.

Also, I'd match up 4th line versus 4th line, as the Oilers 4th line and Canucks 4th line both just had great games.

Roll the other two.

ginner classic
10-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Who do you guys play our checking lines against? Last night, the Arvedson/Linden/Cooke line got passing grades on shutting down the Flames' top line. But on the Oilers, it's kind of tricky.

I'd match 'em up against the Smyth line (whomever is on it) if you ask me.. I think that line has Isbister and Hemsky on the wings, but I'm not sure.

Also, I'd match up 4th line versus 4th line, as the Oilers 4th line and Canucks 4th line both just had great games.

Roll the other two.

Linden Cooke and Arvedson vs the York line. Sedins Vs. Smyth's line
Nas -Bert-Mor vs. third line, and then 4on4 for the fireworks.

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-10-2003, 08:54 AM
I'd stick the Ruutu-Chubarov-May line against the Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani line...let the WCE go up against the Torres-Horcoff-Laraque line.

monster_bertuzzi
10-10-2003, 09:54 AM
I'd stick the Ruutu-Chubarov-May line against the Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani line...let the WCE go up against the Torres-Horcoff-Laraque line.

I would do anything to keep Bertuzzi AWAY from that line. Torres is a super-pest, and we all know what can happen to Bert.

WCE against whatever line Dvorak is on
Sedins/King up against Torress line
Have the checking line go up against either Hemsky or Smyth

Impossibles
10-10-2003, 10:54 AM
We have home ice, so isn't it the oilers who have to worry about matching lines?

Slats432
10-10-2003, 11:17 AM
We have home ice, so isn't it the oilers who have to worry about matching lines?
Since you have last change you can put whoever on the ice vs. the Oil that you want and the Oilers have no say about line matchups other than more risky changing on the fly.

Nucks will dictate line match ups.

Slats432
10-10-2003, 11:18 AM
And if it was in Edmonton I probably would give Torres, Laraque and Horcoff a shot at playing against Nas-Ber-Mor.

ginner classic
10-10-2003, 11:26 AM

Nope it's us. Home ice has last change. and I agreee with the above...I would do anything to keep our top line away from their fourth although we have schoold BG in the past when matched up against him...the rest of the guys on that Oils line would give bert fits.

Oiltalk
10-10-2003, 11:28 AM
That would be just great. :D

Oiltalk
10-10-2003, 11:31 AM

Isbister-Smyth-Dvorak
Chimera-York-Hemsky

were the lines.

NFITO
10-10-2003, 11:38 AM
I don't think you'll see our top line against the Horcoff line...

it's just a bad matchup IMO... that line is an energy line that bangs and crashes... we need our top line against players less physical.

I would rather play our top line head on against the Smyth line than the Horcoff line.

play the Linden line against the Smyth line...
the WCE against the York/Dvorak line
the Sedins against the Pisani/Reseasoner/Moreau line
and the Chubarov line against their Horcoff line.

reasoning:

- Smyth and Hemsky are their two biggest scoring threats... makes sense IMO to play our best defensive forwards against them... we can out hit, out hustle that line with the Cooke/Linden/Arvedson unit.

- The WCE are best against players that aren't the most physical to play against... it'd be a risk bascially matching up our offense against that lines - and I think we come out on top every day of the week...

- no real reasoning other than a "hunch" that the Sedins and King would outplay that line.

- I think we lose this matchup... but it's a 4th line matchup anyways... Chubs/May/Ruutu can all defend well enough, and I don't think you'll see the Horcoff line racking up any points against this line... but we will probably get out hustled, if not out hit by them.... still the best matchup here, rather than having our scoring lines shutdown by this line, and it's a waste of a checking unit putting them up against their #4 line.

- also I think it's a toss up between playing our #1 line against their #2 or #3... I think that the WCE and the Sedins could switch up here depending on how the matchups are going.

Oiltalk
10-10-2003, 11:40 AM
I don't think you'll see our top line against the Horcoff line...

it's just a bad matchup IMO... that line is an energy line that bangs and crashes... we need our top line against players less physical.

I would rather play our top line head on against the Smyth line than the Horcoff line.

play the Linden line against the Smyth line...
the WCE against the York/Dvorak line
the Sedins against the Pisani/Reseasoner/Moreau line
and the Chubarov line against their Horcoff line.

reasoning:

- Smyth and Hemsky are their two biggest scoring threats... makes sense IMO to play our best defensive forwards against them... we can out hit, out hustle that line with the Cooke/Linden/Arvedson unit.

- The WCE are best against players that aren't the most physical to play against... it'd be a risk bascially matching up our offense against that lines - and I think we come out on top every day of the week...

- no real reasoning other than a "hunch" that the Sedins and King would outplay that line.

- I think we lose this matchup... but it's a 4th line matchup anyways... Chubs/May/Ruutu can all defend well enough, and I don't think you'll see the Horcoff line racking up any points against this line... but we will probably get out hustled, if not out hit by them.... still the best matchup here, rather than having our scoring lines shutdown by this line, and it's a waste of a checking unit putting them up against their #4 line.

- also I think it's a toss up between playing our #1 line against their #2 or #3... I think that the WCE and the Sedins could switch up here depending on how the matchups are going.
Smyth and Hemsky will be playing on different lines. Hopefully this scenario works against Vancouver.

NFITO
10-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Smyth and Hemsky will be playing on different lines. Hopefully this scenario works against Vancouver.

why? are they planning on juggling their lines after yesterday's game?

thought that Smyth and Hemsky showed some chemistry out there...

theoil
10-10-2003, 11:52 AM
why? are they planning on juggling their lines after yesterday's game? thought that Smyth and Hemsky showed some chemistry out there...

Astonishingly everybody that plays with Hemsky this year so far has shown chemistry with him. It should be a good test for us though with Smyth still trying to learn to play centre. But the lines are

Isbister-Smyth-Dvorak
Chimera-York-Hemsky.

Both Chimera and Smyth scored goals last night where the RW slid a pass behind the last d man to spring them into the clear. It is still way early but imo Dvorak brings way more to the table than Carter.

Oiltalk
10-10-2003, 11:55 AM
why? are they planning on juggling their lines after yesterday's game?

thought that Smyth and Hemsky showed some chemistry out there...
Actually the lines from yesterday's game didn't include had Hemsky and Smyth on seperate lines.

NFITO
10-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Actually the lines from yesterday's game didn't include had Hemsky and Smyth on seperate lines.

umm... didn't watch much of it after the Canucks game started, but in the first period it looked it the top line was Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky??

Oiltalk
10-10-2003, 12:29 PM
umm... didn't watch much of it after the Canucks game started, but in the first period it looked it the top line was Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky??
Isbister-Smyth-Dvorak
Chimera-York-Hemsky

Oiler_Fan
10-10-2003, 08:43 PM

Nope, lines as Oiltalk said. The PP featured Hemsky and Smyth on a few occasions, so maybe that's what you saw.

I think if I was Crawford I would try to match up Naslund, Bert, and Morrision against Chimera, York, and Hemsky. Neutralizes the Oilers skill on this line with both the size and skill advantage going to Vancouver.

He'll likely try matching 4th lines and use the Linden line against Smyth. That leaves the Sendin's line against Reasoner, Moreau, and Pisani.

The Oilers will be likely try to get Reasoner, Moreau, and Pisani out there against the Nuck's top line whenever they get a chance with a change on the fly in order to match up some size.

If both goalies are sharp and the reffing is fair, the Canucks powerplay and Oilers penalty kill will likely decide this game.

I'm guessing the Canucks will romp over the Oilers to bring us Edmonton fans back to earth, but we are going to be hard to live with if the Oilers pull off a win :)

MrMackey
10-10-2003, 11:35 PM

Smyth and Hemsky were only on the ice together during the power play and the odd time when there were changes on the fly.

The lines as Oilfan stated them have been together since the last Calgary game.

DiggerDan
10-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Assuming Edmonton splits up Hemsky and Smyth again I would play our checking line on the Smyth line, the Sedin's against Hemsky's line, and WCE against the 3rd line. The only match up I would REALLY try to make sure was out there every time would be Arvy/Linden/Cooke against Smyth/Isbis/Dvorak(no particular order). And of course line up our 4th against theirs as well.

:handclap:

Mizral
10-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Assuming Edmonton splits up Hemsky and Smyth again I would play our checking line on the Smyth line, the Sedin's against Hemsky's line, and WCE against the 3rd line. The only match up I would REALLY try to make sure was out there every time would be Arvy/Linden/Cooke against Smyth/Isbis/Dvorak(no particular order). And of course line up our 4th against theirs as well.

:handclap:

I agree, it's quite obvious to this poster that Smyth is clearly the most dangerous & talented forward on the Oilers roster. It's too bad so many can't recognize his skill though. So many people actually think Smyth is only a marginally skilled player - in my mind, he is more talented than even Ales Hemsky on the Oilers - but he's just not as flashy.