GDT: Blues @ Yotes

XX
10-10-2003, 05:53 PM
1-0 as im posting this

all I can say is Wow

A. The defense is doing great, perhaps a couple breakdowns that could have been prevented, but great backchecking helped solve those problems.

B. THEY ARENT SLOW ANYMORE! Nagy has some serious speed, the whole team looks like they have an extra jump in their stride.

C. Holy crap is this phyiscal!
Cale Hulse - textbook layout on Johnson at the blueline, if he does that once a game hes worth every dollar

Gratton - Woah, hes going for the jugular. Has 2 incredible hits just in the 1st period, DESTROYED Tkachuck. Hes the man for the Doan line, oh yes. Has nailed Khamanov at least twice hard.

Vaananen - Once again, trys to DESTROY TK, and trust me he would have, but timing was a bit off and highsticking penalty.

Tanabe - Great poise, no mistakes so far. Likes to make long passes out of the zone, could get caught.

Was there a coaching change I wasnt made aware of?
The coyotes have the pack mentality when it comes to lose pucks, they lock up the blues and then just flip it around until they have control. Its amazing, and the same goes the the PK. great job, sticks in the lanes and they give very few chances to the blues.

Power Play - Okay folks, the big problem area. It was a little chaotic, but Doan got a shot off from the point and low and behold, Langkow is in front and does a textbook rediflection, past osgood.

I think the season got a whole lot brighter for me, poor guys in Canada cant watch this....

Burke is solid, stopped Demitra all alone point blank.

Great Game going!

triggrman
10-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Nagy and Tanabe are really skating tonight. Hulse did throw a great hit but then took a stupid penalty and had a turnover right up the middle.

Love the speed of your young defensemen though. You guys look pretty good so far.

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Tanabe - Great poise, no mistakes so far.

Wow.. Not something I've heard too much. I hope he plays like that alot for you guys.

Congrats on the win! :yo:

XX
10-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Wow.. Not something I've heard too much. I hope he plays like that alot for you guys.

Congrats on the win! :yo:

He scored the OT winner! :yo:

Hordichuk_24
10-10-2003, 08:01 PM
The only real negative thing about this game was the HORRIBLE officiating. Brutal.

Other than that, very impressive. :yo:

Nagy17
10-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Very well played game. Burke kept us in it as usual.

Tanabe really impressed, his D was solid as well, in fact Mara looked sloppy and out of position more.

Savage was garbage despite being on the ice for the game winner. That turnover in the first shouldve been a goal for Demitra.

And of course Nagy was great, he burned their D all night.

Koltsov71
10-10-2003, 08:07 PM
He scored the OT winner! :yo:

Great to hear. If he plays this way most of the time, you guys will be very happy.

Two questions, if I may. Who was he paired up with tonight, and how was his goal scored? Thanks. :)

XX
10-10-2003, 08:09 PM
Great to hear. If he plays this way most of the time, you guys will be very happy.

Two questions, if I may. Who was he paired up with tonight, and how was his goal scored? Thanks. :)

Vaananen
Top of the circle backhander, sorta floated in on Osgood I suppose. Bad goal for him either way.

_Del_
10-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Nagy was on top of his game. Maybe a little more shooting and a little less flash, but he was looking like an all star out there. Played with the edge he needs to show. I liked how he clipped Osgood consistantly.. never enough to get a call, but always getting a skate, stick, etc in the crease...

I was very impressed with Tanabe tonight. He looked very solid in both ends, nevermind the floating goal in OT... If he can keep it up, score one for Phoenix... (I liked his end to end rush that ended in yet another Nagy chance)

Langkow looked very reliable again, let's hope he starts where he left off last year and he doesn't have another slow start. One PP goal is a good start...

Doan can't control the puck to save his life, BUT he did play with passion, which hopefully he will show full time this year as Captain...

Gratton played like I/we hoped he would, physical and showing his skill.

Kolanos looked a little gunshy, and yet still was impressive at times. An early goal or two would go along way for his confidence...

Hrdina looked very -- well, smart.. he looks conscience of everything happening on the ice. Though his line overall didn't look like it had much chemistry, each member had it's moments...

Hulse -- had atleast one terrible giveaway and was in the box for the STL goal -- where are you CT? ;)

Ossi played with an edge. We welcome back the Ossi of old!!!

Wilson looked good -- Nash showed some speed and abit of the edge he provides, though I was hoping for a more impressive showing against his old mates... Floor some people Tyson, sheez...

Mara had some really good moments.. and a few not so good moments, but he didn't embarass himself with the minutes he played, and I'll take that for now...
Ferrence played smarter than I remember him playing last year, but with less of an edge.

Burke was solid as usual.

Overall very impressed with what I saw. If they can keep it up, they may make an optimist of me yet -- but I'll wait abit before converting if that's okay with everyone...
Not impressed with the officiating at all...

Disco Volante
10-10-2003, 09:07 PM
What were the lines like?

XX
10-10-2003, 09:47 PM

Nagy - Langkow - Johnson
Hrdina - Kolanos - Radivojevic
Savage - Gratton - Doan
Nash - ??? - Wilson

Tanabe - Ossi
Mara - Suchy?
Ference - Hulse (god they were nasty tonight)
Spiller

Spiller was very solid IMO, he looked shakey at times though. He stood up for Burke and got into a little skrum with a guy, like to see that.

Savage get much ice time? he was almost a non factor, only heard his name like 4 times a period.

Hoot
10-11-2003, 12:16 AM
What a huge relief, well done team. Hopefully the guys can keep it up and get off to a good start to the season.

Gwyddbwyll
10-11-2003, 12:44 AM
Nagy - Langkow - Johnson
Hrdina - Kolanos - Radivojevic
Savage - Gratton - Doan
Nash - ??? - Wilson

Tanabe - Ossi
Mara - Suchy?
Ference - Hulse
Spiller

Savage get much ice time? he was almost a non factor, only heard his name like 4 times a period.

Savage got 12.49 - less than any other top 9 forward. Nash--Wilson were tried out with Kolanos, Gratton and Doan as centers. Ossi-Tanabe and Spiller was almost always paired with Hulse for his 8.45.. Mara-Suchy-Ference-Hulse were swapped around although it seems they settled on Mara-Ference by the end of the game.

golfmade
10-11-2003, 01:38 AM
Is Taffe still with the big club or was he sent down?

_Del_
10-11-2003, 02:01 AM
Is Taffe still with the big club or was he sent down?

Springfield.

CoyoteBaloney
10-11-2003, 02:15 AM
They were all over the place as the Coyotes only had 11 forwards and 7 dmen.

It was a good game for the Coyotes. The reffing was iffy at best. The Coyotes seemed to have a lot more chinsy calls against them.

The defense looked a whole lot better than what was predicted.

The forwards seemed to struggle at times with puck possession, but they all used their speed to fore check and back check.

I hope this effort continues.

hbk
10-11-2003, 06:07 AM
I actually think the reffing helped tonight. don't get me wrong some of the calls were marginal at best but it seemed to create the us versus the world mentality that this team is going to have to have in order to come together and compete.

Definately a synergetic effect last night because it wasn't just Burke.

Tanabe was a pleasure to watch skate; although his weak clearing attempts had me screaming for him to put some mustard on it.

Spiller was protected and I was glad to see him play some minutes. You can't teach size that's for sure although he's got a ways to go before he'll be able to do anything more than dump the puck off the glass. Could use some seasoning on the farm but this is definately a good learning experience for him.

Vaananen played extremely well.

Hulse played well. Nice open ice hit although he's lucky that the puck hit his skate instead of to the open blue cruising down the left side.

Savage didn't look that bad. Limited playing time due to the amount of penalty killing that was required. He picked up a point.

Doan has to bloody shoot the puck. Shut up and shoot.

Mike Johnson is so underappreciated. He just is a solid player.

Langkow is quickly becoming my favorite Coyote.

Nice to see Kolanos get the GWG. He tipped the Tanabe shot and has further enhanced his reputation as a clutch player. Needs a haircut though.

Hrdina and Gratton both looked solid but unspectacular.

Nagy looked awesome. He is a special talent. He brought me out of my seat more than once.

Speed was a plus tonight for Phoenix. That really surprised me. Of course I can't get over how much Tanabe's speed brings to this team. It's a whole new offensive element that forces the opposition to back in instead of hanging out by the blueline.

One of the better Coyote games that I've seen. A lot of fun. Great effort all around.

The Viking
10-11-2003, 07:42 AM
1-0 as im posting this

all I can say is Wow

A. The defense is doing great, perhaps a couple breakdowns that could have been prevented, but great backchecking helped solve those problems.

B. THEY ARENT SLOW ANYMORE! Nagy has some serious speed, the whole team looks like they have an extra jump in their stride.

C. Holy crap is this phyiscal!
Cale Hulse - textbook layout on Johnson at the blueline, if he does that once a game hes worth every dollar

Gratton - Woah, hes going for the jugular. Has 2 incredible hits just in the 1st period, DESTROYED Tkachuck. Hes the man for the Doan line, oh yes. Has nailed Khamanov at least twice hard.

Vaananen - Once again, trys to DESTROY TK, and trust me he would have, but timing was a bit off and highsticking penalty.

Tanabe - Great poise, no mistakes so far. Likes to make long passes out of the zone, could get caught.

Was there a coaching change I wasnt made aware of?
The coyotes have the pack mentality when it comes to lose pucks, they lock up the blues and then just flip it around until they have control. Its amazing, and the same goes the the PK. great job, sticks in the lanes and they give very few chances to the blues.

Power Play - Okay folks, the big problem area. It was a little chaotic, but Doan got a shot off from the point and low and behold, Langkow is in front and does a textbook rediflection, past osgood.

I think the season got a whole lot brighter for me, poor guys in Canada cant watch this....

Burke is solid, stopped Demitra all alone point blank.

Great Game going!

I live in Canada and saw the game on Bell ExpressVu's Centre Ice package.

CFABoy
10-11-2003, 11:12 AM
I actually think the reffing helped tonight. don't get me wrong some of the calls were marginal at best but it seemed to create the us versus the world mentality that this team is going to have to have in order to come together and compete.

Definately a synergetic effect last night because it wasn't just Burke.

Tanabe was a pleasure to watch skate; although his weak clearing attempts had me screaming for him to put some mustard on it.

Spiller was protected and I was glad to see him play some minutes. You can't teach size that's for sure although he's got a ways to go before he'll be able to do anything more than dump the puck off the glass. Could use some seasoning on the farm but this is definately a good learning experience for him.

Vaananen played extremely well.

Hulse played well. Nice open ice hit although he's lucky that the puck hit his skate instead of to the open blue cruising down the left side.

Savage didn't look that bad. Limited playing time due to the amount of penalty killing that was required. He picked up a point.

Doan has to bloody shoot the puck. Shut up and shoot.

Mike Johnson is so underappreciated. He just is a solid player.

Langkow is quickly becoming my favorite Coyote.

Nice to see Kolanos get the GWG. He tipped the Tanabe shot and has further enhanced his reputation as a clutch player. Needs a haircut though.

Hrdina and Gratton both looked solid but unspectacular.

Nagy looked awesome. He is a special talent. He brought me out of my seat more than once.

Speed was a plus tonight for Phoenix. That really surprised me. Of course I can't get over how much Tanabe's speed brings to this team. It's a whole new offensive element that forces the opposition to back in instead of hanging out by the blueline.

One of the better Coyote games that I've seen. A lot of fun. Great effort all around.

don't think Kolanos was given credit for the goal....

Dancing Chicken
10-11-2003, 12:39 PM
For those of us whos Wife said no to center ice :rant: Thanks for the recap

hbk
10-11-2003, 12:43 PM

seriously, you asked? sometimes, there is no room for compromise. what area of town do you live in?

Dancing Chicken
10-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Calgary, She says if we got Center Ice I would never leave the TV.. The sad part is shes right, but theres always summer for that other stuff ;)

hbk
10-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Calgary, She says if we got Center Ice I would never leave the TV.. The sad part is shes right, but theres always summer for that other stuff ;)

I have to admit my wife has voiced some negative feelings towards the amount of hockey I watch since we subscribed two seasons ago. To say she doesn't like it is an understatement.

Hordichuk_24
10-11-2003, 02:30 PM
don't think Kolanos was given credit for the goal....

He wasn't, Tanabe was.

_Del_
10-11-2003, 03:11 PM

Listen closely, this will be my only marital advice:

Tis easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.....

Fait accompli is the way to go -- hehe ;)

Dancing Chicken
10-11-2003, 07:00 PM
LMAO sure NOW you tell me

IceLady80
10-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Springfield.
where he has scored 4 goals and 1 assist in two games. he plays with the twins and seems to be working well with them.