Tomislav Grozaj

HajdukSplit
11-10-2005, 08:37 AM
He is a Croatian forward who plays for HC Prostejov in the Czech 2. Liga but he has been lights out in the Czech U18 and U20 leagues and is easily the best player on the Croatian youth and national team. He is still young at the age of 20 but is quite small, only 5'10 and weighing about 180 pounds, you think he is able to be drafted by a NHL club?

12# Peter Bondra
11-10-2005, 11:59 AM
He is able to be drafted by a NHL club but if one will?

Probably not.

HajdukSplit
11-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Well his numbers look good but he isn't playing in the first league and he is quite small which goes against, anyway I wish him best of luck in his career wherever it may be

TORRUS
11-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Yes, he is the best young Croatian but nothing more than that. We used to be best friends when we were kids and we grew up playing together. He will never get drafted because he is unfortunately just not good enough. I saw him last month working in his dad's firm. He definitely didn't look like a guy doing everything for his hockey career. I can make a phone call to check on what he's up to.

HajdukSplit
11-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Well he did good in his career, I just find it hard to believe that he even made it that far, playing in Czech Republic, I know in Croatia there is some interest in the NHL but almost nobody plays it

Jazz
11-29-2005, 04:11 AM
Well he did good in his career, I just find it hard to believe that he even made it that far, playing in Czech Republic, I know in Croatia there is some interest in the NHL but almost nobody plays itDobar Dan!

Anyone interested about hockey in Croatia can look here: Croatian League 2005/06 (http://www.internationalhockeygang.org/forum/showthread.php?p=25141#post25141)

HajdukSplit
11-29-2005, 10:04 PM
thanks, interesting how there is no teams in Dalmacija but the only Croatian born player to play in NHL is from Split :D

Jazz
11-30-2005, 01:34 AM
thanks, interesting how there is no teams in Dalmacija but the only Croatian born player to play in NHL is from Split :D
Yes, it is too bad that Goran Bezina could not permanently crack the Coyotes lineup.

I know a lot of Croatians (customers) from where I work, and when I would show the "Hockey News" 2002/03 Season Preview which had Bezina listed on the Phoenix page, and underneath "born: Split Croatia" they all got excited....(I did not have the heart to tell them that he learned to play in Switzerland....) ;)

TORRUS
12-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Dobar Dan!

Anyone interested about hockey in Croatia can look here: Croatian League 2005/06 (http://www.internationalhockeygang.org/forum/showthread.php?p=25141#post25141)

Thanks for the link, it just reminded me how much Croatian hockey sucks! :shakehead And sucks big time!

About Grozaj, he is in Zagreb playing for KHL Zagreb and that's it. Nothing special. He had a promising season while playing for Ocelari Trinec U-18 team something like 4 years ago but ever since unfortunately he did nothing worth admiring.

Well he did good in his career, I just find it hard to believe that he even made it that far, playing in Czech Republic, I know in Croatia there is some interest in the NHL but almost nobody plays it

Well, he wasn't the only one playing in Czech Republic. There are actually quite many that choose to go there but then they choke by the age of 16-17 because that's the age when the Czechs (and other kids from big 6 I guess) make the big jump.

Sorry but there is no interest in the NHL. I am probably the only. In your Dalmatia probably 50% don't even know what ice hockey is...

About how nobody plays it, that's wrong impression. There are many kids (of course only in Zagreb) that start playing because their parents want them to exercise and to be on the fresh air. But that's it. They mostly quit by the age of 10. Only few continue. And pretty much all of them who continue eventualy make the senior team. That's why a look on the roster makes me laugh out loud when I see who's on the team.

HajdukSplit
12-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Sorry but there is no interest in the NHL. I am probably the only. In your Dalmatia probably 50% don't even know what ice hockey is...

Sportske Novosti and sportnet.hr have the NHL scores and there is interest, not a lot but I talked with some people into hockey, mostly Rangers

I go to a village around 5km from Zadar and most of the people are Americans/Canadians who moved back to Croatia so maybe thats why

Corto
12-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Sportske Novosti and sportnet.hr have the NHL scores and there is interest, not a lot but I talked with some people into hockey, mostly Rangers

There's no interest. Unless people annoy me with betting tips.

And I hate reading SN, when they had an interview with Espen Knutsen, they called him Espen Bredesen.

Yeah, the ski-jumper. :shakehead

I try to get my friends to watch hockey, but so far all the interest they've shown has been in fights. Though you gotta start somewhere. :D

HajdukSplit
12-10-2005, 09:37 PM
true
they sell Sportske Novosti in the Croatian part of NYC here and I read it but most of the articles are ******** and its much more expensive here in America. I think in Croatia it is only 5-6kn, in America they sell it for 2 dollars (10kn I believe)

Jazz
12-12-2005, 03:49 AM
There's no interest. Unless people annoy me with betting tips.

And I hate reading SN, when they had an interview with Espen Knutsen, they called him Espen Bredesen.

Yeah, the ski-jumper. :shakehead

I try to get my friends to watch hockey, but so far all the interest they've shown has been in fights. Though you gotta start somewhere. :D

Just curious, if you are all in Croatia, how did you get interested in hockey? Also, what about some the Croat-Canadians who go back and visit, I'm sure some of them are hockey fans...

Also, even though he is a naturalized Swiss, had Goran Bezina become a regular in the NHL would that have helped?

12# Peter Bondra
12-12-2005, 12:31 PM
It would have. Maybe not a lot but it would.

HajdukSplit
12-12-2005, 02:50 PM
don't think Bezina playing in the NHL would have much effect. Hockey will never become a top 5 sport in Croatia I think, but hopefully one day we will see a player play well in the NHL.

Joe Sakic and Corey Sarich have Croatian backrounds, not sure about Lukowich

Jazz
12-12-2005, 07:46 PM
don't think Bezina playing in the NHL would have much effect. Hockey will never become a top 5 sport in Croatia I think, but hopefully one day we will see a player play well in the NHL.

Joe Sakic and Corey Sarich have Croatian backrounds, not sure about LukowichDon't forget former NHLer Tony Hrkac

TORRUS
12-15-2005, 05:47 AM
Just curious, if you are all in Croatia, how did you get interested in hockey? Also, what about some the Croat-Canadians who go back and visit, I'm sure some of them are hockey fans...

Also, even though he is a naturalized Swiss, had Goran Bezina become a regular in the NHL would that have helped?

In Croatia they just show the scores (not even the scorers) in some newspapers and they always point out Colorado because of Sakic. And that is really stupid because he's Canadian and probably doesn't even know where Croatia is and doesn't even care.

The funny and great thing is that hockey, no matter how unpopular and no matter how people don't give a s*** about it, is still quite broadcasted. That's because hockey is so damn interesting and such a great dynamic sport to watch. People like watching it, but that's it-nothing more. No interest in players, history, countries, NHL... So, I get to see the world championships and Olympic games all the time.

Bezina wouldn't help unless he turned out to be one of the best players ever.

HajdukSplit
12-15-2005, 06:36 AM
In Croatia they just show the scores (not even the scorers) in some newspapers and they always point out Colorado because of Sakic. And that is really stupid because he's Canadian and probably doesn't even know where Croatia is and doesn't even care.

Actually he does know where Croatia is, he speaks it and his parents are from Imtoski. I read somewhere he didn't learn how to speak fluent English until he was 6, typical Croatian disapora parents :D

Jazz
12-16-2005, 02:42 AM
Actually he does know where Croatia is, he speaks it and his parents are from Imtoski. I read somewhere he didn't learn how to speak fluent English until he was 6, typical Croatian disapora parents :DI can confirm that as well. But when spoken to in Croatian (Hrvatski) he does tend to respond in English (depending on who he is talking to...). I've met his father.

TORRUS
12-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Oh, then my bad. I underestimated him. Is his mother also Croatian? Was he ever here? If he wanted he could have popularized hockey here. That's for sure. Croatians like winners and he's definitely one.

HajdukSplit
12-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Dad is from Imotski, mom is from Lika, I think he is very involved with the Croatian community in Canada

Corto
12-18-2005, 05:41 AM
Dad is from Imotski, mom is from Lika, I think he is very involved with the Croatian community in Canada

Yeah, he's from Sakici... And my best friend is from Studenci... Two villages adjacent to Imotski... And he was suppose to come there like 2 years ago, I gave my Avs jersey to my friend to see if he can get it signed.... But he didn't come. (not sure,but think some of his Canadian relatives did apparently)

He also visited the then 16-year-old unknown Janica Kostelic in Nagano in 98 and wished her good luck, etc.
Classy guy.

Also, not sure, but think Joe Dziedzic might be of Croatian heritage...

How do we get interested in hockey? We get to see Olympic hockey, and and I saw the Albertville games in 92 and got hooked. I wanted to play but I was pretty serious about football back so all I could do was watch and follow and learn. :dunno:

Corto
12-18-2005, 05:46 AM

Nah. There were like two articles over the years about him.
He would have to be a superstar to change something, much like the Kostelics did in skiing. :cry:

TORRUS
12-19-2005, 03:49 AM
How do we get interested in hockey? We get to see Olympic hockey, and and I saw the Albertville games in 92 and got hooked. I wanted to play but I was pretty serious about football back so all I could do was watch and follow and learn. :dunno:

Corto, are you not in NA? I always had the impression that you live there... From your posts on other boards you seem like a guy who knows quite a lot (which is really hard since there is no NHL coverage in Croatia). I live in Zagreb and follow everything that's happening but it's hard if I don't see it on TV.

Janica was 18 at that time. I never liked Sakic, but now he seems like a classy guy. I'll have more respect for him now! :handclap:

Corto
12-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Corto, are you not in NA? I always had the impression that you live there... From your posts on other boards you seem like a guy who knows quite a lot (which is really hard since there is no NHL coverage in Croatia). I live in Zagreb and follow everything that's happening but it's hard if I don't see it on TV.

Janica was 18 at that time. I never liked Sakic, but now he seems like a classy guy. I'll have more respect for him now! :handclap:

Yeah, I live in Zagreb too. I watched NHL back when it was on Eurosport, then on Channel 5, then Premiere.

Sad skidam tekme s neta... ;)

HajdukSplit
12-20-2005, 06:56 PM
both Dinamo fans? :shakehead :)

Corto
12-21-2005, 08:46 AM
both Dinamo fans? :shakehead :)

I'm not. But I couldn't care less about footy this season. Apart from the national team.
Having played it for so long and been watching it since forever, I'm kind of fed up now, taking a break from it.
Unfortunately, my team is Hajduk too. God they suck. :shakehead

HajdukSplit
12-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I like Hajduk and I have respect for Hrvatski Dragovoljac, who are now doing poorly in the 2.HNL. The HNS needs to do more to help the league, they can't hide behind the NT's success forever because a poor league will equal to the NT being poor one day, hopefully I am wrong.

My cousin plays for a junior team in the Karlovacka Liga :D

TORRUS
12-21-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm Dinamo fan only when they play in Europe (which is not very often :shakehead ). Actually, I cheer for any other team rather than Dinamo. One year I want Varteks to win the championship, the other Hajduk, then Inter and so on... Now I want Rijeka to do good. Always liked Rijeka because of personal connections!

The HNS needs to do more to help the league, they can't hide behind the NT's success forever because a poor league will equal to the NT being poor one day, hopefully I am wrong.

I don't mind having crap league as long as our NT does good. But at the same time, Croatia, while having crap league, in the last 10 years produced some quality players. The coaches are still here, the passion is still here and I don't see that changing.

HajdukSplit
12-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Well you look at the current NT, almost half of them is diaspora (Kovac brothers, Klasnic, Simunic, Seric etc..) the HNS must realize that this will not always happen and if the HNL continues to be poor where are the players going to come from?

I think its a shame that Hajduk lose to clubs like Shelbourne and Debrecen when a few years ago they almost knocked out Roma and beat Grasshoppers. Also a few years ago we used to have teams going deep in the UEFA Cup, not they can't get out of qualifiers.

All that needs to happen in privatize to clubs, get REAL owners, not like Stimac who take money from the club. Guys like Miksic would really help but its truely a shame that people living in Croatia have little respect for Croatians living outside of Croatia :shakehead

Corto
12-22-2005, 02:56 AM
I like Hajduk and I have respect for Hrvatski Dragovoljac, who are now doing poorly in the 2.HNL.

Hehe, I played as a junior there during the glory 1. HNL days.

Ah, good times. :D

Well, the domestic league isn't going anywhere with Mamic and Stimac running it... But pretty much everyone knows that. :(

HajdukSplit
12-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Mamic is OK I think, he is corrupt but at least he is trying to make something out of Dinamo and selling players for good amounts of money. Stimac got peanuts for Plete and Srna while Mamic sold Cesar for 2 million and maybe Bosnjak for 4-5 million.