Too many shots against

meehan
10-11-2003, 05:39 PM
31 shots against each game. And it's not like they are poor shots either as many of them were quality scoring chances. This might be the year the teams defensive play degrades as Stevens will be 40. If the team is playing so poorly defensively now, I can only imagine how bad it could get in April when they get tired. I know it's early but I think if the Devils are to repeat Brodeur will have to play even better then last year and the teams needs to score more goals(which I think it will).

Tao Jones
10-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Sherry Ross was interviewed on 770AM during the first intermission. She said Pat and Lou were willing to give up a few games in the beginning of the season by pairing Martin and Hale together even strength and on special teams, in the hopes that it will payoff by the end of the season.
No shutout for Marty. It sounds like the forwards are covering up a lot for the rookie D. That may take away from the offense a little this season. Sherry also said Pat seems more relaxed than usual.

NJ_Devil_Boy
10-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Well, I'm not surprised. The 3rd defensive pairing are both rookie. Hale & Martin will both make mistakes (and their +/- will take a hit), but that's ok (for now). Both are logging lots of ice time too (I believe Martin played over 17 mins tonight).

Maybe it's a good thing the shots are coming. People will stop using the following reason to put down Brodeur => "it's because he faces 22 or fewer shots a game..." :rolleyes:

I Hate Tie DOMI
10-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Maybe it's a good thing the shots are coming. People will stop using the following reason to put down Brodeur => "it's because he faces 22 or fewer shots a game..." :rolleyes:

Amen. :bow:

meehan
10-11-2003, 08:10 PM

I'd much rather the team be strong defensively and win championships as oppossed to being horrible defensively and having the goalie win vezina's. You think Sabre fans wouldn't trade all of Hasek's vezina's for stanley cup rings?

Also, it's not only the rookies making mistakes as Stevens and Madden have not looked to sharp either. Granted it's still early but if those two have off years the team is in trouble.

Tao Jones
10-11-2003, 08:17 PM
I think Madden may be nursing a hand or wrist injury from a slash he took against Boston.

NJ_Devil_Boy
10-11-2003, 09:48 PM
I'd much rather the team be strong defensively and win championships as oppossed to being horrible defensively and having the goalie win vezina's. You think Sabre fans wouldn't trade all of Hasek's vezina's for stanley cup rings?

Anyone still remember the days after Theodore's captured both Vezina + Hart. Some Hab fans said Vezina + Hart > Stanley Cup basically... :lol: :rolleyes: