Orpik hit on Gleason

GiggyIsTheNextRoy
10-11-2003, 10:49 PM
To those Penguin fans who blame Gleason and think that the one game suspension was too harsh, you guys are &@#$^#! crazy. I can't believe some will actually blame Gleason for trying to dodge the hit. Fact is that Gleason would of dodged Orpik cleanly had Orpik not STUCK OUT HIS KNEE!!! Who gives a **** if Orpik was trying to hip check Gleason, ultimately he's the one who initiated contact with his knee. The NHL should of made an example out of Orpik. Thank god Gleason will be alright.

Ric Flair
10-11-2003, 10:53 PM
That's why he got suspended. You're a day late junior it's old news.

GiggyIsTheNextRoy
10-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Forget about the suspension what pisses me off are the Penguin fans saying it was Gleason's fault.

GiggyIsTheNextRoy
10-12-2003, 12:12 AM
No one cares who's fault it was, the fact is that, most players see that a player is coming and move during the last second. This quick reaction causes more damage than just taking the hit full on, Orpik was just going to lay him out than Gleason figured i can move and not get hurt as much...thought wrong.

Settle down pal, no need to go off and go nuts on us. Orpik got a suspension for one game, take it easy slick.

So are you saying it was "wrong" of Gleason to try to dodge the hit. If it's no big deal to you who's fault it is, then why are you blaming Gleason when it clearly wasn't his fault?

JDB3939
10-12-2003, 06:49 AM
I said the point that trying to dodge a hit at that point when a player is a foot from you and airborne is dangerous for both of them. Gleason would have been hit by Orpik's leg even if he didn't extend his knee. In that case it would have been Orpik's calve and Gleason would have been tripped and flipped head over heels and slammed his head off the ice. Gleason takes the hit, no one gets hurt. No one gets suspended. That's my point. Orpik will take his suspension and won't hit like that again.

Now shut up and worry about the "Next Roy" getting his act together for the next game instead of worrying about a comment made by one of us.

Jacob
10-12-2003, 10:31 AM
What's wrong with trying to stickhandle by someone?

Is Kovalev stupid for trying to maneuver around a guy, and not just "taking the hit"?

If Orpik's knee weren't extended Gleason would have been off to the races.

GiggyIsTheNextRoy
10-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Gleason wasn't a foot away when he tried to dodge the hit. Again he would of dodged the hit without injury had Orpik not STUCK OUT HIS KNEE.

JDB3939
10-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Thank you.

The hit was not intentional that way. Gleason was not hurt very badly. He has a bruised thigh, the way he hit the ice you would have thought he cut out his heart with a spoon. The league gave Brooks a one game suspension for it.

If Gleason was hurt worse the league would have handed out a bigger suspension no doubt. And if Orpik ever does it again I'm sure the league will slap him with a huge suspension.

Are the Kings crying in outrage over the incident? No. They know it's hockey and things happen. Did the Penguins whine Brashear blindsiding Tarnstrom last night? Brashear is an experienced NHL player, not a rookie. He knows not to blindside someone like that. Are we crying foul? Are other teams fans complaining to the Flyers about it? NO. It happened, it's in the past. Forget about it.

I figured you as a Ducks fan had better things to worry about than what a rookie Penguin defenseman did to a player on your cross town rival and the opinion of the fans of said team.

JDB3939
10-12-2003, 12:29 PM
What's wrong with trying to stickhandle by someone?

Is Kovalev stupid for trying to maneuver around a guy, and not just "taking the hit"?

If Orpik's knee weren't extended Gleason would have been off to the races.

Does Kovalev fly up the middle with his head down? No. Gleason did. Inviting himself to hits. He didn't "stick handle around". He jerked out of the way at the last second.

DJ Spinoza
10-12-2003, 12:47 PM
But it wasn't a clean hit, regardless of whether or not his head was down.

Alex Kovalev
10-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Kovy has degenerative arthritis in his knee from taking so many hits
like that...

I've watched Kovy since he was a rookie, and with his exceptional lateral movement..many players have put out their knees to try and stop him...I can't think of a player who has taken more knee-knee hits than Kovy over his career. He leaves players with no choice.....just sometimes a badly beaten player will get his knee out by accident...doesn't make him a dirty player...

Those of us who have played juniors/minors/college hockey, know how fast the game moves...sometimes a guy puts a move on you and you get out of position and try to recover...and accidentally get your knee out...if anyone here who has played the game can honestly tell me they never accidentally got a knee out on someone, then you would be the first person I ever heard of...

Now think about the speed of the players in the NHL...accidents happen...and Orpik make a mistake...get over it...

Lets not label him with the Marchments and Tuckers of the world just yet...

Great Post, I totally agree with you.

Koltsov71
10-13-2003, 06:16 AM
Orpik served his suspension and payed his fine.

Gleason played in last nights game and got an assist.

All is right with the world.