Larionov: Just what the doctor ordered

Unthinkable
10-12-2003, 05:22 PM
He's not even satisfied with the PP success at this point in time. Go Igor!

"You're talking about success. Scoring one power-play goal on five or six power plays, I don't call that success," Larionov said. "It's been fair so far. I'm not saying good."

Very much looking forward to what good looks like if this is considered "fair".

Blackjack
10-12-2003, 05:25 PM
<------- Talk to the avatar :joker:

did we score 4 powerplay goals last year?

Another great move by Lou :yo:

Guttersnipe
10-12-2003, 05:36 PM
I couldn't find a link, but one article mentions how Gomez, a similiar style-player, is already learning from Igor's example.

After he resuscitates the Devil's PP and smartens up Gomer, Lou should send Igor to Trenton so he can get the Newark arena funded. :p

Unthinkable
10-12-2003, 05:59 PM
I couldn't find a link, but one article mentions how Gomez, a similiar style-player, is already learning from Igor's example.

After he resuscitates the Devil's PP and smartens up Gomer, Lou should send Igor to Trenton so he can get the Newark arena funded. :p
:joker: The scary part (for our opponents anyways) is he missed almost all of preseason and theres no way he can be close to a hundred percent health yet. I don't even think he's hitting his normal stride yet.

Blackjack
10-12-2003, 06:01 PM
IAfter he resuscitates the Devil's PP and smartens up Gomer, Lou should send Igor to Trenton so he can get the Newark arena funded. :p

While he's there he can balance the budget.

Unthinkable
10-12-2003, 06:04 PM
"It's been fair so far. I wouldn't say good," said Larionov, who learned higher standards playing eight seasons for the Red Wings. "When somebody takes a penalty, you have to punish that guy by scoring a goal. It's a job that has to be done."

He's got the killer instinct attitude this team desperately needs to use to their advantage. Schwab and Brodeur both deserve better leads to work with then the one goal differentials they faced most of last season. Heres to hoping the PP is a finely honed asset over the course of this year and into next for the sake of everyones piece of mind and our chances of repeating.

Unthinkable
10-12-2003, 06:14 PM
High praise indeed:

"He assisted on my first NHL goal (in 1995)," said Friesen, who is Larionov's linemate, along with Brylin. "He calms everything down and takes control every time he's on the ice. Especially on the power play, he's one of the best to ever play the game."

Unthinkable
10-12-2003, 06:25 PM
<------- Talk to the avatar :joker:

did we score 4 powerplay goals last year?

Another great move by Lou :yo:

According to todays NY Post, the Devils just scored 1/3 of last seasons total road PP goals in 2 games!

The Devils, now 4-for-9 this season after 12-for-138 on the road last year, will take it.

"We've assured ourselves of being better than that already," said Brian Rafalski, who has combined with Larionov to co-assist on three of New Jersey's PPGs this year, including last night's by Sergei Brylin. "We could go four months now without a power-play goal on the road and still be ahead of last year."

The power-play combination of Larionov and Rafalski set up its third PP score of the young season when Brylin opened the scoring with 1:19 left the first. Jeff O'Neill was serving a bogus penalty when Rafalski's feed from the left point was steered over the glove of Kevin Weekes by Brylin, cutting across the slot from the right side.

Rafalski and Larionov were the assist men on PPGs by Jeff Friesen and Niedermayer in the opening 3-3 tie on Boston, when all Devils goals came with the extra man.

name
10-13-2003, 07:11 AM
I'm glad to hear that you guys like and appreciate Larionov. I was very sad to see him go, he's always been one of my favorite players. He's as smart as as anybody on the ice, always calm, a brilliant passer, etc, etc. He scored some clutch goals for the Wings in the playoffs in the not too distant past too. I know I'm not alone when I say that I'll root for him no matter who he plays for ( if he played for the Avs that might be a problem I guess ).