NFL: Top Wide Receivers of all time?

Charge_Seven
11-22-2005, 11:47 AM
We've probably had this discussion before, I was just wondering though, what's the general consensus on the top 15 WR of all time?

Do guys like Randy Moss get consideration/have a shot at it?

Raging Bull
11-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Moss is definatley up there. One of the most entertaining receivers to ever play the game IMO.

Rice, Carter, Lofton, Monk, Harrison, Owens, Irving, Tim Brown, Largent, etc, etc.....

L3DZ3P
11-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Well as for the most talented you have to go with Randy moss .This guy run like a track star ,he's tall,great hand.great body control plus unmatch leaping ability.The only thing I hate about him is the fact that he don't alway give his 100% effort.

Vincent Vega
11-22-2005, 06:48 PM
David Boston.

Ar-too
11-22-2005, 11:24 PM
This is a boring topic. The discussion begins and ends with Jerry Rice.

Ensane
11-22-2005, 11:44 PM
The discussion begins and ends with Jerry Rice.
Not when the thread starter is asking for a consensus on the top 15 receivers of all-time.

Chartrand
11-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Not when the thread starter is asking for a consensus on the top 15 receivers of all-time.

1. Jerry Rice
2. Jerry Rice
3. Jerry Rice
4. Jerry Rice
5. Jerry Rice
6. Jerry Rice
7. Jerry Rice
8. Jerry Rice
9. Jerry Rice
10. Jerry Rice
11. Jerry Rice
12. Jerry Rice
13. Jerry Rice
14. Jerry Rice
15. Jerry Rice

chris_dub
11-23-2005, 02:35 AM
1. Jerry Rice
2. Jerry Rice
3. Jerry Rice
4. Jerry Rice
5. Jerry Rice
6. Jerry Rice
7. Jerry Rice
8. Jerry Rice
9. Jerry Rice
10. Jerry Rice
11. Jerry Rice
12. Jerry Rice
13. Jerry Rice
14. Jerry Rice
15. Jerry Rice
What about Jerry Rice :dunno:

Ensane
11-23-2005, 02:50 AM
In the words of Will Farrell Trebek -- "Simply stunning."

monster_bertuzzi
11-23-2005, 05:11 AM
Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, Andre Rison, Randy Moss, T.O., Mike Irvin, Andre Reed

Ar-too
11-23-2005, 09:09 AM
I understood what was being asked, the only way it's interesting is if there's any controversy at the top. If we were talking about any other position, there would be plenty of controversy: Montana vs. Marino, Brown vs. Sanders vs. Payton, etc.

This one's boring. I don't care who the second best receiver is. I know who the best is, and that's all that matters.

Ensane
11-23-2005, 04:09 PM
I understood what was being asked, the only way it's interesting is if there's any controversy at the top. If we were talking about any other position, there would be plenty of controversy: Montana vs. Marino, Brown vs. Sanders vs. Payton, etc.

This one's boring. I don't care who the second best receiver is. I know who the best is, and that's all that matters.
Perhaps the individual already recognizes that Rice is clearly ahead of the pack, but would like to hear opinions on the other top receivers in the game. Mix that with the fact that Owens and Moss both have good shots at coming close to Rice in terms of receiving yards and touchdowns, and I'd say you have potential for somewhat of a constructive thread.

SwisshockeyAcademy
11-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Reidel Anthony.

Troy McClure
11-23-2005, 04:20 PM
There's Jerry Rice, then there are a bunch of guys not worthy to be mentioned near him.

But, to throw another name out there...

Drew Pearson - Mr. Clutch

I don't care about stats or awards. Give me the guy who came through in big games.

MAF
11-23-2005, 08:30 PM
I've always liked Dwight Clark although ...yeah...Jerry Rice is/was probably the best.

No Quarter
11-24-2005, 10:10 PM
What about John Stallworth?

Ar-too
11-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Mix that with the fact that Owens and Moss both have good shots at coming close to Rice in terms of receiving yards and touchdowns...

Owens isn't going to come close. He's on the down side of his career and is going to have trouble finding a team, let alone a team with a QB good enough to have him catch for 1400 yards next year.

Moss might get there eventually, but he's not half way there yet and Kerry Collins is his current QB. He's also had some injury issues over the last couple of seasons and doesn't seem like the kind of guy who lasts 12-13 years in the league, let alone 20.

Now, Marvin Harrison looked like a good candidate until this season. He's had an off year by his standards. We'll see what happens, but this is his tenth season.

Jerry Rice caught for 1499 yards in his tenth season with 13 TDs. Harrison has 666 yards right now.

Quiet Robert
11-24-2005, 10:52 PM
I'd put Marvin Harrison ahead of most active guys personally. In the same amount of time as TO has had in the league he's got almost 200+ catches and 5 more TD's and over 1300 more yards. He could feasibly finish his career at no.2 in all-time catches if he plays a few more years. (903 right now, would have to get to 1,102) Argue Peyton Manning all you want, Marvin Harrison is an amazing receiver. Sure it helps having a QB of that caliber, but there's no denying the guy is very gifted.

I think right now we're seeing a lot of great receivers in the league. In terms of Moss, if he can get back to his early 2000's form where he was a 1300+ guy, he could end up with the greats. He's just got too much talent not to succeed. When he turns it on, he's the most exciting receiver to watch.

Quiet Robert
11-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Mix that with the fact that Owens and Moss both have good shots at coming close to Rice in terms of receiving yards and touchdowns, and I'd say you have potential for somewhat of a constructive thread.

Just to add to what s3por2d said, I don't think Owens has a chance and even Moss is a stretch. Rice's numbers are just too far to reach. 192 TD's, 20 000+ yards, 1400+ catches. Both of them might come close to the 2nd all-time spots, but Rice's numbers are going to be hard to match.

Owens is only half way there in terms of catches, yards and TD's. It's very hard to imagine he gets close. He might break Carter's 130 TD mark and if he has 3-4 more exceptional years he might get close to 2nd place for yrds. So he could end up among the top 5 in those 3 categories, but it will take a few more great years.

Moss will probably beat Carter's 130 TD mark, but I doubt he gets close to 192. As for catches and yards he might get among the top 5ish, but I don't know if he'll get close to Rice. He's got 600some right now, and he has a legit shot at 1000 imo. For yards he might get into the 14000 range, seeing as he's close he's around 9000 right now. But again, like Owens, he'll need to have a few more exceptional years to get into that range. I'd say Moss has a better chance of getting close to that 2nd all-time spot than Owens though.

Charge_Seven
11-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Perhaps the individual already recognizes that Rice is clearly ahead of the pack, but would like to hear opinions on the other top receivers in the game. Mix that with the fact that Owens and Moss both have good shots at coming close to Rice in terms of receiving yards and touchdowns, and I'd say you have potential for somewhat of a constructive thread.

Preceisely the point of my thread, I want to know who the top all time guys are.

Jerry Rice is the greatest ever, certianly. However I was curious to see who the others in the class below (as nobody is really in his class) are, an d if guys like TO, and Moss deserve consideration in there, as I thought they did. Also because I've not followed the NFL for very long, so I want to get up to speed.

joe_shannon_1983*
11-25-2005, 10:14 AM
You have got to consider some of the revolutionary receivers from the older days too.

Guys like Don Hutson, Lance Alworth, and Raymond Berry.

True they were not the athletes that today's receivers are. But today's receivers also have huge advantages as far as training and coaching goes. Who is to say that Hutson, Alworth, or Berry would not have been just as athletic as today's receivers if only they had the training and coaching that today's receivers have?

Since athletes have changed so much over time, the only reliable method in comparing players from different eras is to judge a player for how good they were in the era that they played. And Hutson, Alworth, and Berry dominated their era much more than some of the players who have been listed in this thread.

triggrman
11-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Moss will never be a true wide receiver. His only route is a post. I'd take a few receivers over him in today's game, Marvin Harrison and Tori Holt I think will put up better numbers in the long run too. I think Chad Johnson is a better receiver too.

Patty Ice
11-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Steve Largent's name is severly lacking in this thread.

JCD
11-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Moss will never be a true wide receiver. His only route is a post. I'd take a few receivers over him in today's game, Marvin Harrison and Tori Holt I think will put up better numbers in the long run too. I think Chad Johnson is a better receiver too.

That is a gross over-simplification. Moss is far more than a 1-route-wonder. He is effective all over the field, and especially dangerous on the WR screen and fade routes. He isn't a precise route runner ala Holt or Rice, but to write him off as a 1-route-wonder doesn't hold up.

As for better numbers in the long run, I have my doubts. Primarily because Moss is a year younger than Holt and FIVE years younger than Harrison. Moss is already 9 TDs and nearly 1000 yards ahead of Holt and has only 9 TDs and 2000 yards to make up on Harrison.

As for Chad Johnson, keep in mind that Johnson is on pace for a career-best 11 TDs and 1500+ yards. That is still 100+ yards below Moss's best yardage and less than what Moss averages in TDs. He has 95 TDs in 118 games, best in NFL history.

Moss has his flaws, but to deny him as one of the best WRs in the game just doesn't make any sense.

Feenom
11-29-2005, 06:39 AM
What about John Stallworth?

Love that guy... :handclap:

Afino
11-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Guys like Don Hutson, Lance Alworth, and Raymond Berry. Hutson, Alworth, and Berry dominated their era much more than some of the players who have been listed in this thread.

When I was reading through the first few posts, I was praying that someone was going to post Hutson and Alworth, otherwise I was going to. Alworth made the teen jersey numbers for WR's cool long before today's fad.