Gameday thread: Vancouver @ Columbus

Edler Von Gud
10-13-2003, 09:59 AM
I'm suprised no one had made one yet, so I guess I'll do the honours.

Gametime: 4:00 pm
TV: sportsnet, get to hear Jim Hughston's voice again..."great save Cloutier"
Radio: CKNW

I haven't heard what the line-up will look like since it seems Crow will change it every game, but I'm pretty sure Cloutier will get the start.

The Canucks had the best road record in the Western Conference last year with a 23-10-8 record, but will be facing an improved Columbus Blue Jacket team that added Sydor and Marchant during the off-season. It should be an interesting test for the Canuck team, as the BJ's will be excited with it be Columbus day, and were difficult little buggers to play last year. Of note, the Blue Jackets will reveal their new 3rd jersey's tonight.

Thoughts/predictions/comments on tonights game?

incawg
10-13-2003, 10:02 AM
The canucks had a losing record against the jackets last year but, then agian, it was ray whitney that seemed to be the canuck-killer.

canucksfan
10-13-2003, 10:07 AM
4-2 Vancouver Daniel, Naslund(2) and Jovo scores.

IceMelter
10-13-2003, 10:10 AM
You can check out the jerseys here.

www.bluejackets.com

Hopefully Canucks have a good game, 5-2 Canucks.

canucksfan
10-13-2003, 10:21 AM
You can check out the jerseys here.

www.bluejackets.com

Hopefully Canucks have a good game, 5-2 Canucks.
Those are nice jerseys

Peter Griffin
10-13-2003, 10:30 AM
The jerseys look to much like the Team USA jerseys. They could've done without the stars on the sleeves IMO.

My prediction: 5-2 Canucks

Canucks goals by Naslund X 2, Daniel, Jovo and Morrison.

Jackets goals by Nash and Vyborny.

Edler Statesman*
10-13-2003, 10:32 AM
6-2 drubbing of the jackets.. the triplets score three of them.

incawg
10-13-2003, 10:36 AM
News 1130 confirms that Cloutier is starting.

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 10:52 AM
I'll say a 3-1 victory for the Canucks.

Columbus' offence busted out last game, but can't be counted on for 5 a night, Vancouver's team defence has been solid. Naslund is bound to score, and with the bad blood between these teams, the Jackets will take a few penalties and the Canucks should capatalize. Columbus always gives Vancouver fits, but withut Whitney things will be different, Arvedson/Linden/Cooke on Casssels and Sanderson and the game should be controlled by Vancouver.

Because of Columbus' scrappy nature when facing the Canucks, I'll say that the game will be tied 1-1 on goals by Naslund and Vyborny until about 6 minutes left in the third and Linden gets the game winner, Sami Salo adds an empty-netter.

The Produce Man
10-13-2003, 11:09 AM
Vancouver 4
Columbus 1

Goals by Naslund, Sopel, Keane, King.

Cloutier stands on his head, and our new "Goaltending Controversy" is who to start ;)

canucksfan
10-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Who will sit out tonights game? I think Lindgren, Keane and Allen will sit.

Connecticut
10-13-2003, 11:29 AM
Who will sit out tonights game? I think Lindgren, Keane and Allen will sit.

Lindgren's apparently out with a bad back, so we can count on that... It's pretty certain that Malik and Ruutu will draw back in as well so... I agree with Keane being scratched, although he has already missed one game, but he adds less against a non-offensive team. I would also agree about Allen unless they're trying to get him playing a bunch early on, but I wouldn't scratch Slegr, and probably not Sopel... so I'm pretty much with you the whole way.

ping
10-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Isn't David Ling on Columbus? I admire that guy. He goes full out every shift. I can't see Ruutu getting scratched after his solid performance opening night. The real question mark is who is going to sit out on the blueline.

Peter
10-13-2003, 11:33 AM
I will go out on a bit of a limb and predict a 7-3 drubbing by the Canucks.

Nash will get two goals for the BJ's while Bertuzzi will get a hat-trick and Danile Sedin will get two goals for the Canucks (with singles by Malik and King).

jackets63
10-13-2003, 11:45 AM
4-3 Columbus

Sanderson, Sydor, Wright, Pirjeta

Naslund, Jovo, Ruutu

Peter Griffin
10-13-2003, 11:59 AM
4-3 Columbus

Sanderson, Sydor, Wright, Pirjeta

Naslund, Jovo, Ruutu

Nice avatar, but you spelled the guy's name wrong... ;)

Sideshow
10-13-2003, 12:02 PM
You misspelled your saviour's first name...lol.

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 12:04 PM
I just played Vancouver @ Columbus on ESPN NHL hockey for Xbox and this is how it turned out:

Vancouver 3 OT
Columbus 2

Scoring:
1st period:
Van :32 Markus Naslund (Morrison, Jovanovski)
Van 6:22 Brendan Morrison (Bertuzzi, Naslund)
Cbs 19:45 David Vyborny (Cassels, Sanderson)

2nd Period:
No scoring

3rd period:
Cbs: 16:57 David Vyborny (Cassels)

OT:
Van 3:33 Trevor Linden (Arvedson, Slegr)

Shots were 41 for Vancouver and 23 for Columbus I was sure that Denis was going to knock me off, but a knuckler for the blueline beat him in OT. It was a fun game and I hope the real game is as enjoyable. I am bored.

Canadian Chris
10-13-2003, 12:52 PM
Vancouver 4 - Naslund, Daniel, Jovo and Mo

Columbus 1 - Sillinger

I have a feeling that the Canucks are just going to dominate this game. Clouts will play strong, while facing less than 20 shots....Denis will also be strong in facing 30+.....

quat
10-13-2003, 01:06 PM
It feels like the Sedin line will wrack up some points today. I think the Blue Jackets will be keying in on the top line, leaving the second line covered with less experienced players, and they shall pay for their indiscretion. :D

I think the Blue Jackets will be coming out very very hard and fast, but I also believe they are going to be suprised by the talent and effort the Canucks are now icing.

If Denis plays a great game, it could actually be a low scoring affair... but I don't think that's going to happen.

6-3 in the Canucks favor.

Edonator
10-13-2003, 01:16 PM
6-0 Canucks....

Bertuzzi 3, D.Sedin 1, King 1, Sopel 1.

canucksfan
10-13-2003, 01:39 PM
King and Allen are out. I just heard it on the radio.

incawg
10-13-2003, 01:41 PM

ruutu skated with the twins in warmup
shorty thinks crow will double shift nazzy/bert with the sedins.

Peter Griffin
10-13-2003, 01:42 PM

That sucks, I was hoping King would play another. I guess this is all part of Crawford trying to give everyone equal ice-time. I really don't see the point of dressing Keane for this one though, save him for the game against the Wings.

Edonator
10-13-2003, 01:56 PM

....well then.

6-0 Canucks....

Bertuzzi 3, D.Sedin 1, Arvedson 1, Sopel 1.

Who'll play with the twins then? Ruutu won't help much and i can't see our third line being torn apart already. Maybe chubarov even though he's a centre or Keane would be my best guess.

Mizral
10-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Sweet! Beauty pass by Daniel.

Ohlund scores (Sedin, Sedin)

Canadian Chris
10-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Whoooooooo Hoooooooooooo!

cnukfan
10-13-2003, 02:37 PM
Belated wooooooo hooooooooooo

Edler Statesman*
10-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Sopel looked awful... but I gotta love him cause he kept the puck in for the Ohlund goal.

Sami Salo should have had that breakaway.. he just needed to elevate the puck a little and it was in, Denis was down so early

Also, the Sedins were passing too much when they carried the puck in.. you cycle when you dump and chase. If they can get as far in as the faceoff circle, they should take a shot instead of dumping and cycling.

Edonator
10-13-2003, 02:58 PM
The Big Line is a joke. Trying to make a pretty goal won't get them any where. Sopel is god.

MVP
10-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Way to go Cloutier for losing the temper and the goal :rolleyes:

1 : 1

EDIT: Cloutier absolutely loss it since the penatly, at less this is happening in the early part of the season instead of the playoff.

2 to 1 Columbus

tantalum
10-13-2003, 03:28 PM
Atleast it's happening early in the season? Not what I was thinking...I was thinking it's his second game, against a team with no rivalry and he's already had a temper tantrum. Not a good sign IMO. Especially in a game that they were winning at the time.

a game and a half and two bad goals at crucial times in the game.

MVP
10-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Atleast it's happening early in the season? Not what I was thinking...I was thinking it's his second game, against a team with no rivalry and he's already had a temper tantrum. Not a good sign IMO. Especially in a game that they were winning at the time.

I think it is a good sign, since i think Hedberg is a better fit with the team anyways.

tantalum
10-13-2003, 03:32 PM
I think it is a good sign, since i think Hedberg is a better fit with the team anyways.

Well then we are in full agreement! Bad sign if they plan on using CLoutier as the main guy. Of course a couple of these and the situation rapidly changes. I just don't think Cloutier has the mental fortitude to stave off a serious challenge for his spot. It's up to Hedberg to provide that challenge.

Red
10-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Ugh.

LaVal
10-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Way to go Cloutier for losing the temper

there is no way in hell that should have been a penalty in the first place. but yes, it was a pretty soft goal.

MVP
10-13-2003, 03:45 PM
Well then we are in full agreement! Bad sign if they plan on using CLoutier as the main guy. Of course a couple of these and the situation rapidly changes. I just don't think Cloutier has the mental fortitude to stave off a serious challenge for his spot. It's up to Hedberg to provide that challenge.

Completely in agreement. :bow: i don't understand why Cloutier acted the way he did and loss his temper, i mean it is clear that he has a bad reputation of losing his temper, and the other team often look at it as one of Canucks' s biggest weakness, but his lack of maturity continues to hurt the team.i thought Cloutier would of learn by now, but i guess you cannot teach old dog new trick.

colonel_korn
10-13-2003, 03:45 PM
What happened

Cloutier got tangled up with Nash and they jostled a little. At the next whistle Cloutier skated over to Columbus' bench and started yapping at someone. Picks up 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike and then gives up a weak goal on the ensuing powerplay. :madfire: I wouldn't have minded the penalty if he had kept the puck out on the PP, but he got caught cheating off the post.

2-1 Columbus now. (That was the first goal, they got a second about a minute and half later)

Mizral
10-13-2003, 03:48 PM
I think outside of a stretch in the 2nd period there, we've been playing a great game. It seems to me that while the 'Bus are winning, we've had a bit of trouble connecting on our chances - but you know what, as we start scoring, confidence will be built up throughout our lineup. I mean, Naslund hasn't scored yet, but you can rest assured that when he does, they will come in huge bunches.

Anyhow, a strong third will turn this one around without too much worry, I don't think. The Jackets are good against us, but not that good ;)

PS: I'm very impressed with Henrik's passing, again. The pass he made to Bertuzzi for a fairly good chance, albiet a missed shot, was just crazy! I love how the twins again got points. Thats 2 assists for both in 3 games. I think they've been playing sort of par for the course as far as they are normally concerned, too, they are just finishing their chances. Why does this make me so excited? Well, I think they can both turn it up a notch or 3 - especially in the goal scoring department.

Canadian Chris
10-13-2003, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't call the 2nd Columbus goal a bad goal at all with regards to Cloutier.

My question is what the hell are the 2 other forwards, and 1 other defenseman doing looking at the puck...Seriously. All 1 of those players had to do was have their head on a swivel, take a look and get inbetween Marchant and the puck, and chances are that doesn't go in.

People are so quick to blame Cloutier now. Yes, the first goal, he cheated, and got burned. The second goal WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED had the forward/dman taken a look at who was where.

Edler Statesman*
10-13-2003, 03:54 PM
too much watching the puck, not enough taking the man

MVP
10-13-2003, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't call the 2nd Columbus goal a bad goal at all with regards to Cloutier.

My question is what the hell are the 2 other forwards, and 1 other defenseman doing looking at the puck...Seriously. All 1 of those players had to do was have their head on a swivel, take a look and get inbetween Marchant and the puck, and chances are that doesn't go in.

People are so quick to blame Cloutier now. Yes, the first goal, he cheated, and got burned. The second goal WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED had the forward/dman taken a look at who was where.

i don't think anyone is blaming Cloutier for the second goal, but the first goal was the direct result of Cloutier's bad temper, and Canucks had the game in control before that, those are facts.

Mizral
Morrison! Pretty goal!

(Ohlund, Sopel)

incawg
now that's a start to a period!

Rageinthecage
10-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Morrison scores. 2-2 Was wondering when the big line would score 5 on 5. http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

incawg
10-13-2003, 04:01 PM
hey May won a fight!

Edler Von Gud
10-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Damn Denis is the only reason were not winning right now, he's made plenty of saves on 2-1's and breakaways, damn he's pretty good, but I think we will get to him sooner or later.

May and Shelley had a scrap there.

MVP
10-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Bertuzzi and Arvedsson 2 on 1 on Denis, and Denis with the save.

And Linden with a clutch defensive play before that.

May fought and shown his toughness. :handclap:

Edler Von Gud
10-13-2003, 04:06 PM
God, stay in the net Cloutier, you can't stick handle, so don't even try, that almost cost us a goal there.

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Good start to the third.

Christ Cloutier almost cost us the game in the 2nd, he should have fought someone and go himself kicked out of the game.

Edler Von Gud
10-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Is it just me or is Slegr a big puck hog, especially in the offensive zone :dunno:

tantalum
10-13-2003, 04:13 PM
i don't think anyone is blaming Cloutier for the second goal, but the first goal was the direct result of Cloutier's bad temper, and Canucks had the game in control before that, those are facts.

No idea what that goal looked like...listening online tonight. Shorty and Larscheid mentioned that Cloutier was completely out of position on the second. Yes they mentioned other errors but it probably still should have been stopped according to them.

Edler Statesman*
10-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Slegr is too weak! Rick nash had his way in front of the net.. Allen would have kept that puck out.

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 04:27 PM
No idea what that goal looked like...listening online tonight. Shorty and Larscheid mentioned that Cloutier was completely out of position on the second. Yes they mentioned other errors but it probably still should have been stopped according to them.

I think it only didn't look like his fault because the 1st goal was obviously his fault. I'm not sure what he was doing on the first or second goal, it should be 2-1 Vancouver, if we had Denis in net. Not Cloutier's best game that's for sure.

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 04:29 PM
The Canucks were having a great game until Cloutier went crazy and lost his composure mid way thru the 2nd. Very unfortunate when a goalie gets hot like that and can't keep the puck out. Ugly goaltending display from Cloutier.

This one is going to wrap up as a very bitter loss.

LaVal
10-13-2003, 04:32 PM
where's our captain this season?

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Arevedson/Linden/Cooke line had another strong game, Naslund had a few chances, Bertuzzi the same, but this game was lost on goaltending.

They had a goalie who won it for them, ours lost it for us.

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Pathetic

MVP

He is in a better place than the #1 goalie.

Edler Statesman*
three stars:

1. Rick Nash
2. Mattias Ohlund
3. Marc Denis

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 04:35 PM
1. Marc Denis
2. Todd Marchant
3. Mattias Ohlund

canucksfan
10-13-2003, 04:36 PM
1.Nash
2.Denis
3.Ohlund

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Why Nash? He played decent and got a goal off his ass. Marchant had a goal and 2 assists and played a much bigger role.

Mizral
10-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Well, we aren't going to win all the games. To take good and bad out of this game:

The Bad

- Cloutier could have been better
- The top line, while scoring a pretty goal, didn't finish enough chances
- Too many botched odd-man rushes

The Good

- This cannot be understated: Our team never quit. Unlike a bunch of other teams out there, you could tell that the boys wanted to win badly, especially with the fire they played with in the last 5 minutes. Lesser teams would have rolled over. We didn't.
- Mattias Ohlund had a whale of a game
- Our third line (shutdown) was very good. Scoreless, yes, but excellent defensivly, and were great on the PK for most of the game (can't really blame 'em for the Vyborny powerplay goal).

incawg
10-13-2003, 04:40 PM
I didn't get to see the game (well, 2 minutes each period on the NHL network) but I did listen on the radio. How was sedin-sedin-ruutu? Personally I don't think we should be rotating King out. I'd stick to rotating the 4th liners with each other.

Mizral
10-13-2003, 04:40 PM

Naslund has zero goals, and zero assists.

But to any of us who've watched the games, Naslund has played very well in all three games. He is skating like nuts, and is clearly our most skilled player. Did you miss his play on the Morrison goal?

LaVal
10-13-2003, 04:41 PM
He is in a better place than the #1 goalie.

at least Cloutier's had a good game this season. Naslund... our captain, anchor, and leading scorer has been invisible for all 3 games this season.

Nalyd Psycho
10-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Note to Crow, don't scratch King and Allen.

It's nice to see the Sedins truely playing as a 2nd line. Gives me real hope. If King can keep his scoring touch at this level we should be a-ok.

Benching Allen baffles me more though, Columbus is a team that has some soft forwards, Allen is one of if not our toughest defencemen, so it would make more sense to have him out there then not.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*
10-13-2003, 04:43 PM
God same old Cloutier, same old bs.

Did he REALLY have to go over to the Columbus bench ?

PecaFan
10-13-2003, 04:43 PM
Slegr is too weak! Rick nash had his way in front of the net.. Allen would have kept that puck out.

A lovely -2 on the night, and directly responsible for not taking Nash out on the winning goal.

But hey, everyone here swears he's just great, and really physical in front of the net. :rolleyes:

I just don't understand the naming of the goalies, it's like they *want* a goalie controversy. Because now they have to come back with Hedberg against Detroit.

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 04:44 PM
In hindsight Allen should have played, in fact Allen should play the rest of the way, Sopel or Slegr should sit. (preferably but doubtfully Sopel)

cyrisweb
10-13-2003, 04:44 PM
I only had a chance to listen to a few parts of the game as I was busy making turkey mmm.. but!. wtf was Cloutier thinking? keep your damn mouth shut and let other people do your damn fighting.
Why does the team appear to only play **** defence when they are in front of Cloutier?

Can someone smack Crawford across the head? I don't see any reason at all to try a Sedin-Sedin-Ruutu line. Ruutu and Keane are both 4th liners and 1 of them should sit.

incawg
10-13-2003, 04:45 PM
I just don't understand the naming of the goalies, it's like they *want* a goalie controversy. Because now they have to come back with Hedberg against Detroit.

A goaltending controversy was inevitable at some point during this season. That much was clear the second we acquired Hedberg. Personally I'm hoping that Hedberg plays his way to the starting role.

TheBrew
10-13-2003, 04:50 PM
That Knutsen looked very good out there.

MVP
10-13-2003, 04:51 PM
at least Cloutier's had a good game this season. Naslund... our captain, anchor, and leading scorer has been invisible for all 3 games this season.

This is early in the season, i really don't want to bash Cloutier too much, however, if you have watched all three games you can see Naslund is making a lot of effort at improving different aspects of his game this season. He shown he is willing to be physical and be very responsible defensively, which might not be that vital in the regular season, but those are aspects of the game that is very important in the playoff. Yzerman had learned that and Modano had learned that before they were able to lead their teams to the Cup. Beside Nazzy has been good offensively, the puck just is not going in at this stage, it is just puck luck. The things that the Canucks stress on this season is total team play and discipline. i mean be patience on the PK time and play well defensively on 5 on 5, and do not take any stupid penatly. Cloutier had took the stupid penatly that arguably costed the team the game. Canucks were starting to take it to the Columbus and looking forward to bulid on the lead before that Cloutier incident. And the lack of maturity being shown by Cloutier is way more of a concern than the lack of puck luck by Nazzy.

LaVal
10-13-2003, 04:52 PM
Well, we aren't going to win all the games. To take good and bad out of this game:

The Bad

- Cloutier could have been better
- The top line, while scoring a pretty goal, didn't finish enough chances
- Too many botched odd-man rushes

The Good

- This cannot be understated: Our team never quit. Unlike a bunch of other teams out there, you could tell that the boys wanted to win badly, especially with the fire they played with in the last 5 minutes. Lesser teams would have rolled over. We didn't.
- Mattias Ohlund had a whale of a game
- Our third line (shutdown) was very good. Scoreless, yes, but excellent defensivly, and were great on the PK for most of the game (can't really blame 'em for the Vyborny powerplay goal).

you could add "May didn't get killed by Shelley" to the good list :joker:

Naslund has zero goals, and zero assists.

But to any of us who've watched the games, Naslund has played very well in all three games. He is skating like nuts, and is clearly our most skilled player. Did you miss his play on the Morrison goal?

no i didn't miss the play.

has he done some fancy skating and stickwork? yes
has he fired a shot remotely difficult for a goaltender to save yet this season? no
has our clutch performer, performed when needed most? no
has he given any words to rally our team when we needed that goal with the net empty and seconds left? no.

you'll have to excuse me if i'm dissapointed with Naslund's play so far.

Edler Statesman*
10-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Why Nash? He played decent and got a goal off his ass. Marchant had a goal and 2 assists and played a much bigger role.

He was the only Blue Jacket who kept pumping and skating and going and going for the first two periods, he gave the Jackets the energy to turn the game around in the second period. He contributed the intangibles that nobody notices.

Nalyd Psycho
10-13-2003, 04:58 PM
you'll have to excuse me if i'm dissapointed with Naslund's play so far.

I agree. He's playing well, but he's our captain and go to offensive guy, and he's not playing that role, and that is unacceptable.

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-13-2003, 05:00 PM
has he given any words to rally our team when we needed that goal with the net empty and seconds left? no.

Wow, you were on the bench?

Doesn't anyone remember the atrocious start Naslund got to last season? He scored in the first game, yes, but was rather unspectacular after that.

He's got his groin problems to work out, etc...the tying goal was Naslund, doesn't matter that he didn't get any points off it.

Way too early to get worried about Naslund.

LaVal
10-13-2003, 05:11 PM
Wow, you were on the bench?

Doesn't anyone remember the atrocious start Naslund got to last season? He scored in the first game, yes, but was rather unspectacular after that.

He's got his groin problems to work out, etc...the tying goal was Naslund, doesn't matter that he didn't get any points off it.

Way too early to get worried about Naslund.

the ONLY person that it's never too early to get worried about is your captain, anchor, and best clutch performer

KrazyCanuck19
10-13-2003, 05:30 PM
they'll bounce back from this one.

C'nuckleHead
10-13-2003, 05:34 PM
What's Crawford doing taking a very effective line and watering it down by replacing King with Ruutu? :dunno:

The game's back on...gotta watch again

maruk14
10-13-2003, 05:56 PM
the ONLY person that it's never too early to get worried about is your captain, anchor, and best clutch performer

Except maybe your goaltender :dunno:

I agree it's too early to worry about Naslund. You know he is going to get his points. I worry more about the Twins keeping up their good start, or Allen finally proving he can play in the NHL. Naslund's points will come.

Jovavic
10-13-2003, 06:16 PM
Couple of impressions about the Nucks...

The Twins are good, pretty dang good. They are both turning into gritty, two way players. They impressed me the most tonight.

I never noticed how many Swedish players you have on your team. That's not a bad thing :rolly:

I liked Ruutu's game. He throws the body and plays soundly in other areas.

Didn't notice much of Cooke tonight, except for when he pissed off Nash. :joker: Ahh, kids are cute :D I'll bet dollars to donuts that both Nash and Klesla get fighting majors this year, but that's for a different thread.

Ohlund is a beast, I never knew he was chippy of a player. He may not be underrated around the league, but the impact he has on the Nucks to underappearciated.

Thalia
10-13-2003, 06:55 PM
Well it just took me four hours to do a one hour driving trip b/c of all the the holiday traffic; had to shut the truck down several times on the hi-way and just wait til the traffic got moving again. :rant:

Obviously I didn't see the game but I did listen to the second two periods on the radio and it 'sounded' as though the Canucks played an okay game, not too bad either but I too agree that Cloutier's temper tantrum was uncalled for. What a friggin' baby!

I'm all for Cloutier being #1 goalie and all; I want to see him do well but he's certainly making it difficult for me keep rooting for him. I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever get his temper in tact. :(

Biggest Canuck Fan
10-13-2003, 07:16 PM
OMG!!!!

The Canucks lost... that's it... trade Bertuzzi, trade the twins!! Panic... panic... PANIC!!!

Seriously though... the BJ's are a good club, and this loss doesn't hurt like the one against the Flames did last season.

My only suggestion is to stick with a regular lineup, and change only when needed. But the Canucks could've easily won this game. The Jackets were better, and won. 3 down, 79 to go.

jackets63
10-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Nice avatar, but you spelled the guy's name wrong... ;)

Yeah, I noticed that. But I had someone make the avatar for me and I like it overall so I couldnt complain about it! :p

3-2 baby! :yo: Sorry, gotta enjoy this while it lasts.

Nalyd Psycho
10-13-2003, 07:19 PM
OMG!!!!

The Canucks lost... that's it... trade Bertuzzi, trade the twins!! Panic... panic... PANIC!!!

Seriously though... the BJ's are a good club, and this loss doesn't hurt like the one against the Flames did last season.

My only suggestion is to stick with a regular lineup, and change only when needed. But the Canucks could've easily won this game. The Jackets were better, and won. 3 down, 79 to go.

While panicing is silly, it is important to learn from losses.

Thalia
10-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I noticed that. But I had someone make the avatar for me and I like it overall so I couldnt complain about it! :p

3-2 baby! :yo: Sorry, gotta enjoy this while it lasts.It was a good win for the Jackets and I always take the loss a little easier when the hometeam gets the win. One of my favorite ex-nux Cassels got a couple of assists and wow, what a night for Marchant. I wonder if the Oilers miss this guy yet.

Waveburner
10-13-2003, 08:10 PM
A little early to bring out the Cloutier bashing if you ask me. Every goalie lets in the odd soft goal.

quat
10-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Saw the game taped, so have to add my comments after the fact.

I'm begining to see that the Canucks style of play is much better with a goal tender that can stick handle the puck. There was a stretch in the second period? Third? Can't remember now... think it may have been both periods... heh... Where the Canucks took control of the the puck in their own end, and then promptly gave the puck away trying those long outlet passes. Jovo did it at least three times in a row, and on each of the turn overs, the Jackets looked dangerous and had chances against the Canucks. Having a tender that can field the puck allows the team to be a little more evenly spread out, and it's why they seem to play better D with Hedberg in goal. I think. Man, Jovo is a great player, but you just can't leave him as the last guy back with the puck. He totally commits himself to moving forward with speed, and good neutral zone coverage makes all his passes very high risk. Same deal against Minny in the playoffs. With Hedburg in net, the D don't have to skate all the way back each time, and so that alone cuts down on chances against.

Blue Jackets are a much improved team, and really it was a combination of the top line trying too hard, and Cloutiers temper.

Thought Nassy had a fantastic night! The guy had major hustle all over the ice, and I didn't see him making any errors AND he was picking up his man on the backcheck.

Also, to his credit, Cloutier just didn't have a very good night. He can play better.

Ruutu was OK on the second line, but King is more dangerous on that line. He has better puck control and is more of a scorer. Personally, I'd much rather see Ruutu with May and Chubarov on the fourth line. I don't think that Keaner has the talent to be getting ice time over Ruutu.

It must be hard as the coach to decide what to do.

Let's not forget that Rick Nash is pretty fricken skilled, and he completely suckered Slegr on the winning goal. Guys like that are hard to beat, but to be honest, I think Allen would have had his balance and just pushed him out instead of lunging like Slegr did.

Lot's of hindsite, and it sucks to lose at all... especially when you figure the Canucks are just going to tear it up!

SedinFan*
10-13-2003, 09:12 PM
A little early to bring out the Cloutier bashing if you ask me. Every goalie lets in the odd soft goal.

Not game by game....just look back on last year.

Every second game he let in a softy. That's his problem. And playing the puck...and a list of other things.

Mizral
10-13-2003, 09:26 PM
By the way, I thought I'd mention:

In the 1st there, I saw a very mature Canuck team - much more mature than in the past. I don't know what it is, but it seems, defensivly, the team can lock-down much better, even early in the season this year compared to late last season. I'm seeing great D in both the Calgary & Edmonton games, and outside of a major breakdown through half of the second, I thought we played very well.

I do agree though, Hedberg as the 3rd D-man really improves this squad.

Waveburner
10-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Not game by game....just look back on last year.

Every second game he let in a softy. That's his problem. And playing the puck...and a list of other things.

Game by game? :rolleyes: If you are referring to the 2nd round of the playoffs, I would agree. But he was good during the regular season. Ah well...might as well let the bashers have their fun though. I'm not a big Cloutier fan, but I'm still not stupid enough to fault the game on him.

SedinFan*
10-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Open your eyes.

Vyborny...Grandma could have stopped that in her electric wheelchair.

tantalum
10-14-2003, 03:39 AM
Game by game? :rolleyes: If you are referring to the 2nd round of the playoffs, I would agree. But he was good during the regular season. Ah well...might as well let the bashers have their fun though. I'm not a big Cloutier fan, but I'm still not stupid enough to fault the game on him.

For me it isn't that he let in a couple of soft goals, that does happen to every goaltender every year, it was the way they came about. A stupid temper tantrum on a nothing play in a game the canucks were winning and even controlling at the time that results in a dumb penalty and then he doesn't come up big to cover for HIS mistake. Against a team that there is no real rivalry and the game wasn't heated. It was dumb and turned the tide of the game. The canucks deflated for a few minutes as happens to many teams after playing well only to have your goaltender blow the lead (again).

And he was good the first half of the regular season...the second half he was nothing to write home about.

meepen
10-14-2003, 04:15 AM
Open your eyes.

Jackets fan here. David Vyborny is going to surprise many people who don't know about him. Big time late bloomer. The boy has some impressive stick handling skills and a very accurate shot. He potted 20 goals last season and has two on seven shots in three games. I'm not counting on him to beat the 20 this season, but would be very happy if he does and the way he's playing he easily could.
The announcers and fans over here were raving about how he drilled a very small hole that Dan C left him while looking off to the man he could have passed to. I didn't actually see it, but it is not being painted as quite such a softie by everyone. 'Course, maybe it actually was (grin.)
Heck of a game in any case. Looking forward to the next one. Good luck other than against Columbus.

Edler Statesman*
10-14-2003, 06:42 AM
Open your eyes.

Cloutier was playing the pass so he wasn't prepared for a shot.. but he definitely should have shut the door to Vyborny from that angle.

Reign Nateo
10-14-2003, 06:43 AM
Jackets fan here. David Vyborny is going to surprise many people who don't know about him. Big time late bloomer. The boy has some impressive stick handling skills and a very accurate shot. He potted 20 goals last season and has two on seven shots in three games. I'm not counting on him to beat the 20 this season, but would be very happy if he does and the way he's playing he easily could.
The announcers and fans over here were raving about how he drilled a very small hole that Dan C left him while looking off to the man he could have passed to. I didn't actually see it, but it is not being painted as quite such a softie by everyone. 'Course, maybe it actually was (grin.)
Heck of a game in any case. Looking forward to the next one. Good luck other than against Columbus.

You should not score short side from that angle. It is as simple as that.

3mta3
10-14-2003, 07:34 AM
You should not score short side from that angle. It is as simple as that.

Excellent point. Vyborny put the puck through a itsy, bitsy, teeny, weenie hole in the pads (hooray for him - I'm a Jackets fan and he's talented and all that jazz...) but the point remains:

Said itsy, bitsy, teeny, weenie hole in the pads wouldn't have been there if Cloutier was committed to covering the near side properly.

If it was played right, Vyborny would have had nothing to shoot for and would have dished or taken it behind the net.

meepen
10-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Good points all on the muffed coverage of shot vs pass. What i was taking offense (actually that's too strong a word) to was the inference that Grandma should be able to stop DV. He'd put a shot right through the spokes of her chair, gosh darn it.
Personally i only get somewhat down on keepers for the occasional "softie" like that one, but i'm even aware of Dan's rep and i stopped being a 'Nucks fan when they went to the Burger King uniforms. Marc Denis is good for close to one a game far too often.
In any case, good luck this season, and i hope that you resolve whatever the goaltender issues are.

SedinFan*
10-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Excellent point. itsy, bitsy, teeny, weenie hole in the pads. itsy, bitsy, teeny, weenie hole in the pads

That hole wasn't small. His legs were as wide apart as Jenna Jamesons.

MVP
10-14-2003, 11:35 AM
That hole wasn't small. His legs were as wide apart as Jenna Jamesons.
:eek: