Kypreos says bertuzzi deal almost done

incawg
10-13-2003, 12:36 PM
On hockeycentral, kypreos said that he expected a contract extension for bertuzzi to be announced in the next few days. Although nothing is imminent in the next 24 hours, apparently they're just working out the details. He's usually pretty good about these things.

Hopefully they don't hit any snags.

Reign Nateo
10-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Good to hear, I'm going to approx 18 Canucks games this year (work has seasons that rotate, boss buys them sells to us) for 80 bucks a pop it's good to know that my money is going somewhere. That's nearly 1500 dollars that I will be spending on tickets alone this season, not to mention travel to games, food, and the cable connection I have soley for Canucks games and info.

incawg
10-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Too bad for you guys that IF you do sign Bertuzzi you won't be able to afford a supporting cast. You will be the Texas Rangers of the NHL!

So how is it that we already have the rest of our core locked up? You need to go back to troll school.

quat
10-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Too bad for you guys that IF you do sign Bertuzzi you won't be able to afford a supporting cast. You will be the Texas Rangers of the NHL!

Yeah you're right about that! The Canucks suck man! No depth at all, cause everyone knows that only star players can play well.

Geeze, why can't you rotate the lesser players through your system? Develop your talent and plug them in when your other players become to expensive to hold onto. Nothing is static, and player movement is always healthy.

The Devils seem to do all right with a reasonable budget, and I think the Canucks should be fine as long as they improve their drafting over time.

Mizral
10-13-2003, 12:57 PM
Seriously, guys, *DO NOT* feed the trolls.

MVP
10-13-2003, 01:01 PM

i agree

incawg
10-13-2003, 01:02 PM
\|||/
(0 o)
,---ooO--(_)----------,
|``````PLEASE```````|
|`````DON'T FEED````|
|`````THE TROLLS````|
'--------------Ooo-----'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

Canucks-R-best
10-13-2003, 01:04 PM
\|||/
(0 o)
,---ooO--(_)----------,
|``````PLEASE```````|
|`````DON'T FEED````|
|`````THE TROLLS````|
'--------------Ooo-----'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

:lol: :joker: thats awsome

IceMelter
10-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Let's all be friends

http://www.multimania.com/anthonyetcedrine/trolls.jpg

On a serious note, hopefully we can lock up Bertuzzi long term, that would definately make me feel alot better.

MVP
10-13-2003, 01:14 PM
5 years deal would be nice.

incawg
10-13-2003, 01:17 PM
5 years deal would be nice.

I'd like 4 years (including this one). With Bert's physical style I would worry about him getting worn down 5+ years from now. Nolan has shown us how useless a broken down power forward is.

Canadian Chris
10-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Well, the Canucks are looking at making around 10 million I believe I read somewhere, so that would cover the Bertuzzi deal.

Plus, the team is starting to draft better, which means we'll be able to slowly replace some of our aging players.

Finally, the Sedins are making strides, and while they'll likely never become the saviours of the team, are quite capable of putting the puck in the net and playing solidly defensively.

Peter Griffin
10-13-2003, 01:34 PM
\|||/
(0 o)
,---ooO--(_)----------,
|``````PLEASE```````|
|`````DON'T FEED````|
|`````THE TROLLS````|
'--------------Ooo-----'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

That's great! How long did it take you?

As for Bertuzzi's contract, as soon as Burke forwarded it to McCaw, it was pretty much a done deal. If Burke feels that the Canucks are getting a good deal, 9 times out of 10 they are. McCaw ponied up the dough 5 years ago for an aging Mark Messier when the team was going nowhere and losing millions each season, I can't see him not forking over the cash for a top 5 player on a succesful team, both in the standings and financially.

Peter Griffin
10-13-2003, 01:37 PM
I am not trolling here, it is my opinion. Just tell me then where the money will come from. The Canucks have to make it to the second round to make any money, which isn't a guarantee for any team. Now by signing Bertuzzi you are adding probably 5 or 6 million dollars of payroll per year, above what it is already. Now if they are tight with cash already then how will you be able to add any other talent? Cause as far as I can tell the money won't be there. The only way substantial money will be freed up is if this is Naslund's last contract. If that happens you guys will be really hurting!

Bertuzzi is going to sign for around 6-7 mil per season. This year he's making a base salary of $3.7 mil and bonuses could bring that up to just under $5.5 mil. The Canucks aren't adding too much salary($4 mil at the absolute most), and with their recent lottery deal(could create $2 mil of revenue for the Canucks) and with the team set to sell-out every game this year, they can easily cover an increase of this magnitude.

BTW, most people believe that the Canucks improved this off-season, and their payroll only increased slightly.

MVP
10-13-2003, 01:45 PM
I'd like 4 years (including this one). With Bert's physical style I would worry about him getting worn down 5+ years from now. Nolan has shown us how useless a broken down power forward is.

i don't think Owen Nolan is that good of a comparison, since we are talking about a guy who is 6'1 and 215 with ONE BIG career season. On the other hand, Bertuzzi is 6'3 and 245 with two major career seasons so Bertuzzi definately has the consistency and size to play the power forward game in comparison to Owen Nolan.

A better comparison would be Brendan Shanahan who has great hand such like Bertuzzi, although Bertuzzi is better in close, and Shanahan has better shot. And Shanahan is 6'3 and does not have a history of injury or be effected by physical plays.

i guess ultimately i will take the chance to sign Bertuzzi to a longer term contract if it is possible, however, i acknowledge the injury concern but that could apply to just about every single player in the NHL, just look at the situation of Dany Heatley.

incawg
10-13-2003, 02:04 PM
i don't think Owen Nolan is that good of a comparison, since we are talking about a guy who is 6'1 and 215 with ONE BIG career season. On the other hand, Bertuzzi is 6'3 and 245 with two major career seasons so Bertuzzi definately has the consistency and size to play the power forward game in comparison to Owen Nolan.

A better comparison would be Brendan Shanahan who has great hand such like Bertuzzi, although Bertuzzi is better in close, and Shanahan has better shot. And Shanahan is 6'3 and does not have a history of injury or be effected by physical plays.

i guess ultimately i will take the chance to sign Bertuzzi to a longer term contract if it is possible, however, i acknowledge the injury concern but that could apply to just about every single player in the NHL, just look at the situation of Dany Heatley.

I think that both injury concerns and the general aging process are more of an issue for power forwards. First, their style of play naturally causes them to become more likely to be injured and/or woren down. Second, the effect of these injuries/wearing down on power forwards is more significant, since their game revolves around physical play. There really isn't a perfect comparison for Bertuzzi as there's never been a "power forward" quite like him.

Nalyd Psycho
10-13-2003, 10:55 PM
End this team vs team pissing contest it's irrelevant and stupid.

quat
10-13-2003, 10:58 PM

Er... sorry. I didn't really think he was trolling, as the Texas Rangers are actually a real example. :dunno:

NFITO
10-14-2003, 05:59 AM
first of all, I think this whole deal looks very promising... the deal has apparently gone to ownership, and Burke has said it's not an unrealistic demand - meaning, knowing Burke, we're not looking at $9 per year type deals that guys like Geurin signed... nor should we!

If you get Bertuzzi for 7 million a year, as they are reporting, that is a steal. If he went on the free agent market he would be getting 8-9 million bucks a year. Bertuzzi is much more proven than Iginla. So when I gave my quotes I assumed he would be getting more than what is being reported. Remember too if Naslund does resign he will need a raise.

Bertuzzi is not a UFA on the open market... he's a RFA player... even with the arguments about the UFA age going down in the next CBA, what gets lost is that a) Bertuzzi is still only 28, so it'd have to go down by 3 years, and more importantly b) he's still a RFA under this current CBA, which doesn't expire until after he needs to be qualified...

so why compare Bertuzzi to the $8-9+ mill deals that guys like Geurin, Fedorov or Holik received... they were all UFA players, unlike Bertuzzi...

comparing him to Iginla makes a lot more sense... while it can be argued that he's done more in the past 2 years combined, management can argue that Iginla won the Pearson, led the league in goals and points, and did it without having a superstar like Naslund around... so in the end, who's achievement is higher?? either way you slice it, it's a comparable salary.... same with Demitra's - even though Bertuzzi has dominated much more in the last 2 years, Demitra's point totals haven't been far behind, and he's been doing it for many more years.

and Hexxy, your post does sound like trolling here... we've been hearing for the past few years now that we won't have the money to keep our players... then when we sign them, we hear that we can't keep a solid core around them... this happened when we dished out over $5mill for Naslund, and then the deals that were supposed to kill our payroll with Jovo...

the facts however are that we have been keeping all our star players here... we've been increasing our payroll to keep them happy, and we're making more and more of a profit in the whole process... so why are we now again hurting??

This team made $12mill last year... and unlike what is projected this year, they didn't sell out every game... this year, we're projected to sell out every game, we've added more seats (luxury boxes), increased ticket prices, and have more sources of revenue then we did last season(increase PPV, lottery sales)...

add it up, and I don't see why this team is at all hurting for money, or has any problems keeping its stars here... even if we lose in the first round of the playoffs, we should, according to the projections, make more money this year, than we did last year, when we had 8 home playoff dates.... if the playoff revenue estimates (about $1mill in profit for every home game) is close, then we should make money this year even if we don't make the playoffs.

Vancouver, thankfully now, is one of the financially healthiest teams in the league... signing Bertuzzi shouldn't be a problem... upping Naslund's contract after the 2004/2005 season, if he decides to want to stay in the NHL, should also not be a problem (remember his contract doesn't expire after this season, but next)... this team has the revenue streams to sustain a $50mill payroll now, as long as they keep on being as successful as they have been in the regular season... financially speaking, success in the playoffs is now just a bonus on this.

these are the facts... so coming here and saying what we've been hearing from many non-Canuck fans over the past few years does sound like trolling... the facts speak for themselves, and none of your arguments stem from facts... we aren't hurting at all, we aren't operating like a small market team anymore, and we are making more money than most teams in the NHL now.

Peter Griffin
10-14-2003, 06:57 AM
If you get Bertuzzi for 7 million a year, as they are reporting, that is a steal. If he went on the free agent market he would be getting 8-9 million bucks a year. Bertuzzi is much more proven than Iginla. So when I gave my quotes I assumed he would be getting more than what is being reported. Remember too if Naslund does resign he will need a raise.

The Canucks have a very loyal team. Naslund took less than market value when he signed his last contract. Most people feel that Jovo could've asked for more when he signed a 3 year extension last year, and by all reports, Bertuzzi isn't asking for more than $7 mil per season, which like you said is a steal. When Naslund's contract expires, and if the Canucks are close to winning a cup, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a one or two year extension at around the ammount he's making now. Naslund isn't money hungry, he's after a cup and if the Canucks have a chance, he'll sign for less.

Rageinthecage
10-14-2003, 07:00 AM
Kind of like you guys did when you signed the bum Messier. At least the Flyers can afford to make those kind of mistakes. We make money every season and we have been selling out for years. Not for 1 year like the Canucks! Our young talent is twice as good as your teams. Gagne, Williams, Vandermeer, Pitkanen etc....

The Flyers young talent is among the league's elite. No argument here. You forgot Woywitka, St. Jacques, Nittymaki, and I'm sure a few others. Now it's time for your team to work this group into the core more prominently (as Hitchcock apparently wants), and dump these useless contracts like Amonte, Leclair, Primeau, etc. The old dogs haven't been getting it done. I would pick your Flyers along with the Senators to rule the eastern conference this year. However, at the moment your goaltending tandem is even shakier than ours.

Bertuzzi will sign this week apparently and his contract won't hinder the Canucks payroll budget any more than a couple million dollars extra from what he made (including bonuses) last season. No big deal.

kmad
10-23-2003, 12:58 AM
update

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031022/nhl_van1-cp.html

Canucks general manager Brian Burke will take Pat Morris's latest contract offer to owner John McCaw on Thursday. It's speculated Morris has asked for a three-year, $23-million US deal.

Thats today!

Dan-o
10-23-2003, 05:56 AM
Sorry if I'm late on this, but aren't you guys just a little worried about the CBA implications of signing him to a $7 million/year deal? It just seems a little dangerous when we have no idea what the Cap will look like. It could really hamstring the Canucks down the line if the Cap is anywhere near where the owners hope it to be.

Schlep Rock
10-23-2003, 06:54 AM
Sorry if I'm late on this, but aren't you guys just a little worried about the CBA implications of signing him to a $7 million/year deal? It just seems a little dangerous when we have no idea what the Cap will look like. It could really hamstring the Canucks down the line if the Cap is anywhere near where the owners hope it to be.

In the end, the cap will probably be about $38 or $39 million for the first season under the new cap.

Let's take the low end, $38...

Taking away $7 million for Bertuzzi's contract, the 'Nucks would be left with $31 million to spend...

There would be 22 guys left to pay on their NHL roster, meaning an average of $1.41 million per player.

The NHLPA offered a 5% pay decrease across the board which means everyone is willing to take a pay cut. If this holds true towards the end of the negotiations, Bertuzzi would be looking at $6.65 million per season, giving the Canucks another $350k to spend.

Dan Cloutier's salary would be $125,000 less (currently making $2.5 million) so the 'Nucks would have $475,000 in savings off those two players and that $475k will probably be good enough for a young defenseman or a 4th liner.

Jovo will have $225k shaved off his salary per season. Morrison, $122,500 off his. Naslund, $261,250 off his. Ohlund, $137,500 off his. That's another $746,250 off these 4 players, good for a 3rd liner.

If the NHLPA can agree on a $38 cap and a 5% pay decrease across the board, it'll be a win-win situation. If forced the players would PROBABLY want a $45 salary cap, MAYBE $50. Yes, the Rangers and Co. will be in trouble getting under the cap but they'll have to, one way or another.

There are many CBA options and I wouldn't worry about Burke putting the Canucks in a bad situation by signing his marquee player.

Peter
10-23-2003, 07:00 AM
In the end, the cap will probably be about $38 or $39 million for the first season under the new cap.

Let's take the low end, $38...

Taking away $7 million for Bertuzzi's contract, the 'Nucks would be left with $31 million to spend...

There would be 22 guys left to pay on their NHL roster, meaning an average of $1.41 million per player.

The NHLPA offered a 5% pay decrease across the board which means everyone is willing to take a pay cut. If this holds true towards the end of the negotiations, Bertuzzi would be looking at $6.65 million per season, giving the Canucks another $350k to spend.

Dan Cloutier's salary would be $125,000 less (currently making $2.5 million) so the 'Nucks would have $475,000 in savings off those two players and that $475k will probably be good enough for a young defenseman or a 4th liner.

Jovo will have $225k shaved off his salary per season. Morrison, $122,500 off his. Naslund, $261,250 off his. Ohlund, $137,500 off his. That's another $746,250 off these 4 players, good for a 3rd liner.

If the NHLPA can agree on a $38 cap and a 5% pay decrease across the board, it'll be a win-win situation. If forced the players would PROBABLY want a $45 salary cap, MAYBE $50. Yes, the Rangers and Co. will be in trouble getting under the cap but they'll have to, one way or another.

There are many CBA options and I wouldn't worry about Burke putting the Canucks in a bad situation by signing his marquee player.

Yes, but you are assuming that the NHLPA will agree to BOTH a pay cut AND a salary cap...which there is no way in Hades that they will agree on both.

The salary cap, luxury tax if you will, will be around $40 million on the top end and probably $30 million on the low end. No team can go over or under without facing penalties. That said, having a $7 million dollar contract plus Naslund, Morrison and Jovo is still do-able. It simply means more guys like May, Keane, Linden, Arvedsson, Cloutier and Salo will be let go and guys like F. Federov, Bouck, Kesler, Koltsov, Auld and Reid will be with the team.