Caron Thurs, Fleury Sat.

Sixty Six
10-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Caron will play thursday agains the Habs

Fleury will play at home against the wings

there is a link to the article at www.pittsburghpenguins.com

The Tang
10-13-2003, 03:19 PM
not surprising. i have to say, caron's pads rock! those things are sweet looking! i wish fleury would ge something to match them...

DJ Spinoza
10-13-2003, 04:06 PM
This sucks for Montreal people, but such is life. The Pens have to sell tickets, and it looks like Fleury is going to do that for them...for now at least.

I say good move, especially since I am going Saturday.:D

JDB3939
10-13-2003, 06:07 PM
This has 2 motives I think. One, Caron in a French Canadien goalie. He deserves to get a start in Quebec. He played well Saturday.

And of course, Fleury to sell tickets.

tom_servo
10-13-2003, 06:10 PM
Well, they're both French Canadians.

Unholy Diver
10-13-2003, 06:10 PM
Fleury is french canadian too and im sure the montreal fans would love to see him come home and play

JDB3939
10-13-2003, 06:13 PM
That's true. But Caron played great all last year, he's earned a chance to go home and play a game.

JDB3939
10-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Fleury is french canadian too and im sure the montreal fans would love to see him come home and play

As far as I'm concerned I don't care what the fans of other teams want. After listening to the comments around here about how he needs to go back to Canada and play for the WJC team. They can kiss my ass. No offense to Pens fans outside of the Burgh. I am directing this at the Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, and Toronto fans that want Fleury to go back to play for the WJC team.

Howard35
10-13-2003, 06:36 PM
fleury vs wings....

hm..... cant wait, very interesting.... part of me hopes he does well, and a part of me also wants the wings to smoke him...

we'll see... :)

Unholy Diver
10-13-2003, 06:47 PM
we'll see... :)

yeah but we'll see it on a local feed with a better announcer :p

DJ Spinoza
10-13-2003, 06:56 PM
As far as I'm concerned I don't care what the fans of other teams want. After listening to the comments around here about how he needs to go back to Canada and play for the WJC team. They can kiss my ass. No offense to Pens fans outside of the Burgh. I am directing this at the Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, and Toronto fans that want Fleury to go back to play for the WJC team.

Very bluntly put.

Fleury has earned his way onto this team. He is not going to handle the whole workload, and it looks like they may split it with him and Caron, with Fleury getting most or all home games at least for now.

Look, I bet all of you were at the arena at least once last year. If you weren't, you heard the stories. That place was dead. I am talking stuff like we score in a Flyers game, which may possibly start a comeback. It was exciting for me at least, yet I was one of two or three people in my section (the arena was fairly full believe it or not) standing and cheering. I'm sure you all have stories like that. I went 5 or 6 times, and the emotion wasn't there at all.

It is exciting that the Pens got a sellout and people were cheering and chanting Fleury's name. These people may have watched one of the most dismal offensive, and really total team play we have seen in a while in that Kings game, yet people still were fired up. People here know this team isn't that good, and no one is expecting Fleury to lead us on a miraculous Cup run.

He excites the fans, and brings them to the game, something we desperately need. He will be learning each game, and you can bet Edzo and Molleken will be talking with him and working things out every step of the way. He is showing that he is ready to begin developing as an NHL goalie. No more QMJHL and 17-18 year old competition. We're talking Ziggy Palffy, Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Brett Hull etc etc etc.

Fleury is not going to be great every night, we know that. But from early indications, there is a very supportive home base, and the situation around him with the team and the rebuilding, the 'X Generation' banners...I do not think that it will hurt his development. Plus, he is one of the most mentally tought 18 year olds I have ever seen. He has proven that over and over, by coming through in high pressure situations et al, you know the stories.

He has earned his chance to play in the NHL, and should keep playing there. He has shown, at least to me, that he is ready to begin this learning process. I am not basing this off the Kings game, although it was a great performance. It is just the whole thing, all the circumstances.

Fleury's not going anywhere, he's a Pittsburgh Penguin now.

Jacob
10-13-2003, 08:22 PM
He's played one meaningful game.

PensFan68
10-13-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm happy with this decision because Fleury will get to show what he can do against a top team early. If he does well, he'll really earn peoples respect. Some have said that we faced an injured LA team, wait till he faces someone good. This is a chance for him (early on) to show what he can do.

And I'm not saying if he doesn't do well it's all over(or if he does well it's smooth sailing). Just saying that if he can play well, he'll prove himself rather quickly.

Jacob
10-13-2003, 09:53 PM
That's fine by me, so long as they don't jump on the "Fleury is a bust" bandwagon.

sparkle twin
10-14-2003, 12:09 AM
I'm happy with this decision because Fleury will get to show what he can do against a top team early. If he does well, he'll really earn peoples respect. Some have said that we faced an injured LA team, wait till he faces someone good. This is a chance for him (early on) to show what he can do.
I think the whole "injured LA team" thing can be thrown out. When a goalie faces almost 50 shots, including a penalty shot in his first NHL game that he stopped, and only allowing 3 goals, is pretty damn good no matter what team he played against.

And I think he should stay in Pittsburgh.

Ausburgh
10-14-2003, 09:17 AM
I think the whole "injured LA team" thing can be thrown out. When a goalie faces almost 50 shots, including a penalty shot in his first NHL game that he stopped, and only allowing 3 goals, is pretty damn good no matter what team he played against.

And I think he should stay in Pittsburgh.

I agree with you!
Although, Fluery allowed 2 goals, L.A.'s third goal was an empty netter.

Alex Kovalev
10-14-2003, 09:18 AM
I would have rathered Fleury play against Montreal. I guess its because the habs game will be on TV. I hope we dont get absolutely slaughtered against the wings. It would really suck if we lost like 6-1 or something. Fleury could make some real noise if he comes out of that game with his first nhl career win against the wings. Imagine if he shuts them out! To be realistic, Ill be happy if they score less then 4 on him.

JDB3939
10-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Whoa whoa WHOA there buddy...i'm a Vancouver AND Pittsburgh fan and i think Fleury should stay where he is if he continue's to play well..can't base that off 1 game. Don't go and group everyone together like that, doesn't look good on you.

Well you can diss those damn leaf fans..who likes them anyway? :D

And like jacobv said, he's played one meaningful game, what if he bombs horribly the next 5 games? then everyone will jump on the send him back to juniors wagon.

That's why I said in the comment that I didn't direct this at Pen's fans in other NHL cities or other cities at all. What I am talking about is how frustrated I get when these people talk about what is best for his development is leading them to a WJC gold medal. No what is best for Fleury is not what they have in mind. If Fleury can't handle it after 10 games, send him back. But I doubt that is going to happen.

DJ Spinoza
10-14-2003, 12:32 PM
A point of my post was that Fleury is going to be learning this year. Do not expect every game to be like that Kings game, there probably will be some rough games for him.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-14-2003, 01:08 PM
Even Roy has had his share of horrible games.

Jacob
10-14-2003, 01:40 PM
But those came when he was relatively mature, mentally. Fleury is still very much a kid.

KungFuPenguin
10-14-2003, 02:12 PM
What better way to find out if Fleury's ready for the big leagues than to let him take on the Wings?

AEKaki
10-14-2003, 03:23 PM
This sucks for Montreal people, but such is life. The Pens have to sell tickets, and it looks like Fleury is going to do that for them...for now at least.

I say good move, especially since I am going Saturday.:D

were you indirectly pointing to me :rolleyes:

DJ Spinoza
10-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Without knowing, maybe...There were some fans on the other board upset about it, which is why I said that.

Here's hoping he starts in the December game.:)

Jacob
10-14-2003, 06:21 PM
What better way to find out if Fleury's ready for the big leagues than to let him take on the Wings?
Exactly. But if he's here to stay 'regardless', then we might as well start him on Thursday.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-14-2003, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, Scarface. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your grandfather. I hope you find some comfort to ease his passing.

KungFuPenguin
10-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Exactly. But if he's here to stay 'regardless', then we might as well start him on Thursday.

Maybe. But sooner or later he's going to have to face a team like the Wings. Might as well do it now, when his confidence is high and he has his stellar performance against the Kings to fall back on.

KungFuPenguin
10-14-2003, 11:37 PM
My condolences on your loss, Scarface.

GoPenguins
10-15-2003, 03:38 AM
Scarface, I am sorry to hear about your loss. I know its tough. I lost all my grandparents by the time I was in my mid twenties. My condolences to you.