How do you teach that?

tom_servo
10-13-2003, 10:59 PM
"See this?"

*Breaks stick across the back of Matt Murley's neck*

"Don't do that."

kutdacheez
10-14-2003, 03:12 AM
Holy crap, i don't know what to think about Eddie O and his staff right now...WTF kinda drill is that????
Could be a drill to weed-out the Wayne Primeau, Kent Manderville, Shean Donovan and Danny LaCouture's who couldn't lift the puck over a rope.
What's seems to be your specific problem with it? If every new innovation had to withstand the initial critics you'd still be hunting for your food with a club and living in caves. BTW, if you still are . . . no offense intended. :D

I think they should be teaching them on how NOT TO TAKE A STUPID PENALTY...that'd be a good start right there.
This is just another of those little pieces of evidence that proves the distance from a being a hockey critic poster to an NHL coach is a lot further than some people may admit.

RedRumNJD
10-14-2003, 08:45 AM
I think they should be teaching them on how NOT TO TAKE A STUPID PENALTY...that'd be a good start right there.

Nice idea, but what exactly is your definition of a "stupid penalty?" Is a penalty only stupid if the other team scores on the power play? Let's face it...if the other team doesn't score on the PP, I don't care how many penalties we take.

DJ Spinoza
10-14-2003, 12:38 PM
The only way to make them disciplined is to make them do wind sprints and stuff, but that is no surefire way. You can bench players too...But that's besides the point.

There's nothing wrong with that drill at all. If you want to argue from that angle, why even have practice at all? Players shouldn't shoot or pass at practice either.:rolleyes:

missionhockey21
10-14-2003, 12:44 PM
It sounds a bit odd for a drill, but I appreaciate the fact they are trying to be creative.

Robert Paulson*
10-14-2003, 12:55 PM
It sounds a bit odd for a drill, but I appreaciate the fact they are trying to be creative.

Yeah, the Pens are a unique team, so we need a unique drill. :)

Stupid penalties come from stupid mistakes usually, like the player makes a bad play so they'll hook or trip so the opponent can't capitalize on it. Experience is the main thing that makes players learn not to take stupid penalties.