Panthers sign Taticek, recall Campbell

m2k2p
10-14-2003, 01:47 PM

10/14/2003
PANTHERS INK C PETR TATICEK

Cats Recall Campbell from San Antonio; Place Bure on IR

SUNRISE - Florida Panthers General Manager Rick Dudley announced Tuesday the club has signed C Petr Taticek to a three-year deal. As per club policy terms of the deal were not disclosed.

In addition, the Panthers have recalled LW Gregory Campbell from San Antonio (AHL) and they have placed RW Valeri Bure (at right) on injured reserve, retroactive to Thursday, Oct. 9.

Taticek, 20, was Florida's second choice (first round, ninth overall) in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. He spent training camp with the Panthers, before being assigned to San Antonio on Sept. 21. Last season, the 6-foot-3 198-pound center ranked third in scoring for Sault Ste. Marie (OHL) with 57 points in 54 games (12-45-57). During his rookie campaign with the Greyhounds he notched 63 points (21-42-63), finishing fourth among the OHL's top scoring rookies.

"We are very happy to have Petr under contract," Dudley said. "After selecting him ninth overall and considering his potential free agent status, it was very important to get him signed and in the fold with the Panthers. Petr has a great future with Florida. He is a big, smart and talented player who fans will enjoy to watch play."

Campbell, 19, also spent training camp with the Panthers before being assigned to San Antonio on Oct. 4. He has appeared in two scoreless games with the Rampage since joining the club.

"Gregory is a player who makes few mistakes and is a comfort in an NHL lineup," Dudley said. "He is a skilled young player who can play all three forward positions."

Thewbacca
10-14-2003, 03:13 PM
So Campbell will play RW? I wonder where they will put Bednar if he plays. Maybe center? Also, anyone know why there won't be a game on foxsportsnet on Wendsday?

Jeff Shafer
10-14-2003, 03:29 PM
So Campbell will play RW? I wonder where they will put Bednar if he plays. Maybe center? Also, anyone know why there won't be a game on foxsportsnet on Wendsday?

donno about Bednar but I got NHL Center Ice so I can get Campbell's first game :-)

Thewbacca
10-14-2003, 03:45 PM
They better have it on the radio.

Jeff Shafer
10-14-2003, 03:48 PM
They better have it on the radio.

They should, does Jiggy's still do radio down there?

PanthersRule96
10-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Although I'm excited about seeing Campbell, I dunno why they didn't call up Shvidki. Campbell hadn't scored, but Shvidki was playing well. Anyone know how long Bure will be out for? Hopefully its not a month like usual.

Crossbar
10-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Great news!!! Wow the Rampage look stacked at center!!! They got Weiss, Nedorost (until he gets called up with the Cats but he can also play wing), Green (a great 2-way center in the AHL), McDonald (decent center who doesn't mind playing 4th line mins in the minors), and now Taticek!! I'm really glad hes not staying in juniors cause I think his developement there was not going good in terms of how he was being used, the media pressure, and the Beezer mishap so developing under our watchful eye in San Antonio will be great for him!

Can't wait for Campbell to play who is he replacing??? IMO Bednar played terrific especially when we experimented by using him at center (he took a nice slapper on Weekes!), I'd rather have Bednar in the lineup than Bure or Novo.

Coolburn
10-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Although I'm excited about seeing Campbell, I dunno why they didn't call up Shvidki. Campbell hadn't scored, but Shvidki was playing well. Anyone know how long Bure will be out for? Hopefully its not a month like usual.Because unlike Campbell, to be sent back down, Shvidki would have to go thru waivers again. I don't think Campbell would and he plays a more grinding style of play which is what I think Keenan is looking for.

m2k2p
10-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Because unlike Campbell, to be sent back down, Shvidki would have to go thru waivers again. I don't think Campbell would and he plays a more grinding style of play which is what I think Keenan is looking for.

I think your right on why they selected Campbell. I wonder how good Campbell is on faceoffs as well, since they say he can play all 3 forward positions well. Maybe he could play some 4th line center if that is the case, although Ritchie has done a good job at faceoffs. If he and Bednar are both dressed tommorow then I guess Messier will be playing on D instead of Trnka.

PanthersRule96
10-14-2003, 05:25 PM
Great news!!! Wow the Rampage look stacked at center!!! They got Weiss, Nedorost (until he gets called up with the Cats but he can also play wing), Green (a great 2-way center in the AHL), McDonald (decent center who doesn't mind playing 4th line mins in the minors), and now Taticek!! I'm really glad hes not staying in juniors cause I think his developement there was not going good in terms of how he was being used, the media pressure, and the Beezer mishap so developing under our watchful eye in San Antonio will be great for him!

Can't wait for Campbell to play who is he replacing??? IMO Bednar played terrific especially when we experimented by using him at center (he took a nice slapper on Weekes!), I'd rather have Bednar in the lineup than Bure or Novo.

Sorry for the ignorance, but is Taticek allowed to go right to the AHL/ Doesn't he have to stay in juniors till January? That, after all, is the purpose of a deadline? Right?

Clash*
10-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Sorry for the ignorance, but is Taticek allowed to go right to the AHL/ Doesn't he have to stay in juniors till January? That, after all, is the purpose of a deadline? Right?
They had until January to sign him in order to send him to San Antonio. He's a different situation from Horton and Stewart who had to go back if not signed, Taticek is an overager and eligible for the AHL, where as Stewart and Horton aren't.

Clash*
10-14-2003, 05:54 PM
While I'm happy about signing Taticek, IMO, it signals the end of Cullen with the call-up of Campbell. My reasoning...Hagman and Campbell play a much similar game, that of a grinding, high energy player. Hagman has been seein time on the first line when Keenan decides to shuffle his line-ups durin the games. With Horton gettin bumped up to second line, and Cullen's ice time bein reduced drastically, Marcus Nilson could be on his way to centering the third line, for now, with Campbell playin LW. just a thought, but who knows. Someone is on their way out or someone's injured we don't know about..

Coolburn
10-15-2003, 03:58 AM
While I'm happy about signing Taticek, IMO, it signals the end of Cullen with the call-up of Campbell. My reasoning...Hagman and Campbell play a much similar game, that of a grinding, high energy player. Hagman has been seein time on the first line when Keenan decides to shuffle his line-ups durin the games. With Horton gettin bumped up to second line, and Cullen's ice time bein reduced drastically, Marcus Nilson could be on his way to centering the third line, for now, with Campbell playin LW. just a thought, but who knows. Someone is on their way out or someone's injured we don't know about..From the paper this morning, it says that Hagman is nursing a small groin injury and is a game-time decision. I think that is probably the reason they called up Campbell so just in case Nik can't go, they have a similar player to stick in his place.

But I agree about someone is on their way out and he spells his name C-U-L-L-E-N :D He's just not suited for the East and the funny thing is he's a NA but plays like a soft Euro...so weird. The bad part about this is that most teams know we have an abundance of centers and might not make a good offer for him. I say send him to like Edmonton where they're short on one center (due to Comrie) for maybe a pick or a prospect.

Jeff Shafer
10-15-2003, 04:25 AM
Cullen will get traded, but I think the team he will go to will only give a draft pick or mid level prospect.

sting_fan
10-15-2003, 09:45 AM
The Herald is reporting Hagman having a bruised foot.

m2k2p
10-15-2003, 10:01 AM
The Herald is reporting Hagman having a bruised foot.

Yeah Hagman got hit in the foot with a puck in the Carolina game, but he came back out later on to finish the game. He was in a LOT of pain too. I have bruised a bone in my foot before and it is usually a lot more painful than a broken bone. I would'nt be surprised if he sits out tonight and Campbell fills his spot.

Cyclops II*
10-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Although I'm excited about seeing Campbell, I dunno why they didn't call up Shvidki. Campbell hadn't scored, but Shvidki was playing well. Anyone know how long Bure will be out for? Hopefully its not a month like usual.

Campbell is a third line grinder while Shvidki is a finesse player with scoring line potential. Keenan would rather have a whole team of moderately talented grinders than one finesse player.

Heimy
10-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Campbell is a third line grinder while Shvidki is a finesse player with scoring line potential. Keenan would rather have a whole team of moderately talented grinders than one finesse player.

So true. I figure the only way we'll ever see Shvidki is if the team is rife with injuries or he's traded. :mad: