Sean Burke Trade Rumours from Spector's Hockey

CoyoteBaloney
10-15-2003, 12:04 AM
FLYERS TO GO GOALIE-SHOPPING?

ESPN.COM: Al Morganti suggests the Philadelphia Flyers will be in the market for a goaltending upgrade, rather than pin their hopes to Jeff Hackett and Robert Esche. Morgantia believe the Flyers may have interest in Phoenix's Sean Burke and Detroit's Curtis Joseph, even suggesting Philly GM Bob Clarke might offer up winger John LeClair for CuJo.

Spector's Note: First of all, the Wings are looking for depth at centre, not on the wing. Second, they won't be interested in an ailing, over-priced LeClair. Third, the Flyers are commmitted to Hackett and Esche. Both would have to be sidelined before they'll consider jumping into the trade market for another.

and

- It's believed Colorado Avalanche GM Pierre Lacroix has contacted his counterparts in Tampa Bay and Phoenix regarding netminder Nikolai Khabibulin and Sean Burke respectively.

Spector's Note: One shouldn't rule out that possibility, but I doubt Lacroix will make any moves to upgrade his goaltending just yet. He'll give David Aebischer the first two months of the season to see how the kid pans out.

Gwyddbwyll
10-15-2003, 01:25 AM
LOL just dont post this on the Philly board.

hbk
10-15-2003, 04:23 AM
interesting that when Burke leads the NHL in save percentage and sits undefeated that the articles about how overrated Sean Burke is stop being written. coincidence?

Dr Love
10-15-2003, 04:25 AM
LOL just dont post this on the Philly board.

There's already a thread. Funny thing is, Morganti was saying all along that Hackett was the man for the Flyers. Now, this. Further proof Morganti knows nothing.

hbk
10-15-2003, 04:41 AM
Gretzky and co. will open a huge can of media backlash if they think they can deal Burke while he sits atop the league in save percentage and the Coyotes are still in a playoff hunt. The absolute earliest they can look to make a change is January after the new arena has opened. By then I actually beleive Hackett will have suffered one of his famous season ending hand injuries and the Flyers would be a possibility.

_Del_
10-15-2003, 05:20 AM
Gretzky and co. will open a huge can of media backlash if they think they can deal Burke while he sits atop the league in save percentage and the Coyotes are still in a playoff hunt. The absolute earliest they can look to make a change is January after the new arena has opened. By then I actually beleive Hackett will have suffered one of his famous season ending hand injuries and the Flyers would be a possibility.

For what it's worth, I saw Gretzky on NHL2Nite and he said, "Burke is our franchise. Unless someone blows us away with an offer he's not going anywhere."

Reassuring, and yet I don't fully trust anything that mngmt says...

Gwyddbwyll
10-15-2003, 06:19 AM
There's already a thread. Funny thing is, Morganti was saying all along that Hackett was the man for the Flyers. Now, this. Further proof Morganti knows nothing.

I know but can you imagine the reaction if CT or indeed any Phoenix fan had posted it.. I think its fair to say it seems Philly fans will never forgive Burke for a twenty game tryst seven years ago.

CoyoteBaloney
10-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Don't worry Stevex, I have most Flyers fans on my ignore list already.

I am not posting my opinion but what has already been rumoured. If they have something against what I posted it is not with me.

The Coyotes still want to dump another $2 million from their payroll.

With Burke between the pipes the young defense still has an on ice leader to help them learn the game at this level. As much as fans have griped that Numminen, Markov and Simpson are not here to teach the young dmen Burke was always the true teacher. Numminen was never vocal, Simpson was undisciplined and Markov was often injured. Were those three really ever leaders of the young defensemen? I don't think so. Burke has been the leader of this team since he was acquired ... even with Tkachuk and Roenick were here.

It makes me wonder what Hackett has done in Philly in this short time that the media is already reporting that Flyers will seek a goalie to replace him.

10-15-2003, 08:21 AM
Here's a question. If they Coyotes want to dump another $2M off the payroll, and Burke makes up $4.5M, say we traded him without absorbing salary, would we then be in the market to sign someone like Berard? Or do you see us being proactive if we make a salary dump?

I think if we ended up dealing Burke we'd likely end up with some salary in return, so it's probably not a worry. I just wonder if they would just take the savings, or use the savings to improve the team.

PhoPhan
10-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Morganti is an idiot. They have chosen to go with Hack and Esche, and while it may be a shortsighted choice, they likely won't admit to a mistake right away. Only way Burke goes to Philly is if Phoenix is way out of the playoff hunt, haven't dumped any salary yet, and Philadelphia loses a goalie.

XX
10-15-2003, 02:34 PM
I dont want to make any declarations, but from what Ive seen so far they will make the playoffs.

we have to let go of Burke sometime, the question is

is it time right now?

ulf
10-15-2003, 04:19 PM
there is always an offer good enough to move a player.not likely any team will pay up for sean.

money would be the reason......and the loss of burke while this team is still competitive would be too expensive a move for mgmt.

it would cost more in lost revenues than the savings generated by the salary savings in my op.

CoyoteBaloney
10-15-2003, 04:30 PM
As I have already said, I think we are seeing that Sean Burke was/is more of a leader and educator of the defense then Numminen, Markov an Simpson ever were. Removing Burke from the game (either trhough trade or injury) and our defense will not play as well as they have in the first two games. I cannot prove this, it is just a working hypothesis.

ulf
10-15-2003, 06:17 PM
i've always considered sean to be the inspirational and motivational leader of the yotes.it allows the yotes d to press up the ice and the whole team to play a higher risk attacking game.during his injury riddled year last year our 2nd best scoring d of the year before suddenly disappeared.sean controls positioning of the d and the puck movement out of his zone.none of this means hulse and/or tanabe are a better option than the 3 departed d men.

with burke in net this team will always have a chance..if they trade him i might have to join eye on the sidelines :)