Top 10 reasons EYE am retiring from being an NHL fan

eye
10-15-2003, 06:50 AM
Before explaining why I am retiring from being an NHL hockey fan I want to say that like many of you I too may have underestimated the team speed of this Coyotes hockey team. Unfortunately this game no longer allows speed or stars to be showcased very often and I will explain further below. I also have to admit that Tanabe and Ossi are looking real good and that others are chipping in and that Burke has been a stone wall. I will be very happy if the Coyotes continue their winning ways as I will always be a Gretzky supporter even though I disagree with his hiring of friends in business. I still don't think the Coyotes come close to playing the exciting style the Jets used to play. I will drop by this board from time to time to rub it in or to give praise when praise is due but it won't be because I'm actually watching games as also explained below. If the CBA resolves matters and if and when the leaders in this league decide to fix what ails it I may come back out of retirement one day. Many of you will be glad that eye isn't giving his devils advocate thoughts any longer but the time has come for me to "hang them up".

In no specific order;

1) I can't stand watching this NHL/AHL boring brand of hockey any longer. It all looks the same night in and night out.

2) College hockey is the way to go. Junior CHL hockey isn't bad either as both allow for creative and unpredictable play that allows the star players to be stars.

3) College arenas are all different with different sized rinks and each has it's own distinct atmosphere, something that is now lacking in the NHL. Every rink looks the same with the same sized ice surface. Boy, I miss the Olympia and the Stadium in Chicaco stadiums I loved attending as a boy.

4) NHL/AHL coaches are all ex-players that for the most part have been brought up in this modern era of video style predictable, boring, defensive, trapping, angling, interfering hockey that is geared towards having the tallest players available regardless of skill or talent level. As a result they all coach the way they played or were taught. None or very few of them are inovative or show any kind of imagination towards teaching offense or putting the betterment of the game ahead of their own personal goals of just winning. Anyone can teach defense and that's why coaching or the effects of coaching in the NHL is way over-rated "Winning at all costs" comes to mind.

5) The NHL game does no longer allows speed and skill to be the prominent factors in a game. It's all about angles, defensive schemes, breaking all the rules, collapsing 5 men in front of over-sized, over-equiped goaltenders. How in the world are we ever going to see offensive hockey again?

6) Lack of rule enforcement. Power plays all look the same now. They all try to execute the same 3 or 4 plays. Rarely do shots get to the net from the point any longer unless your Al McInnis. Penalty Killing units are allowed to commit 2nd and 3rd infractions as the refs are reluctant to put teams down 2 men.

7) Bettman breaking his word on enforcing the rules. Why call all managers in to a meeting, show them videos, make public statements etc. if you have no intention of keeping your word. There is as much interference in todays game as there was 2 years ago, although it is done in a slightly more subtle manner.

8) Goodenow leading players to unprecented, unrealistic and unfair wages that the fans can no longer afford. The best stars in the game should make no more than 3 million a year. Rookies should start at minimum wage regardless of draft position.

9) Satellite and cable NHL tv packages. Way too much hockey available on the tv now. Maybe that's another reason I Can't watch an entire game anymore. Other than different uniforms all teams and players look the same to me now.

10) Bobby Smith provided what I consider the best solution to what ails the game. It would create more space in each zone, would help to force teams to play more disciplined within the rules as power plays would actually have some power or a true man advantage as there is no room to make things happen now. The goal lines need to be moved back 2-3 feet to reduce behind the net boring 1 on 1 holding or hug sessions and interfering with all possible passing options.

There are more reasons but this is a brief summary of my top 10 reasons for retiring as a NHL hockey fan of more than 30 years.

CoyoteBaloney
10-15-2003, 06:54 AM
:handclap: buh bye :handclap:

eye
10-15-2003, 07:33 AM

And to think I had you down as my #1 reason CT but thought I would be nice to you one last time.

Gwyddbwyll
10-15-2003, 07:59 AM

Unnecessary CT.

Sorry you are off eye but I guess if you dont enjoy any of it anymore, that's reason enough.

PhoPhan
10-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Although I (and just about everyone else) has had our differences with you in the past, it is sad to see you go. It gets boring when everyone posts the same, optimistic thing, and we need a negative point of view sometimes.

CoyoteBaloney
10-15-2003, 11:05 AM
And to think I had you down as my #1 reason CT but thought I would be nice to you one last time.
If I was your #1 reason for no longer being an NHL fan you never were one to begin with. :teach:

Hordichuk_24
10-15-2003, 12:31 PM
I'll be joining you pretty soon eye....

10-15-2003, 01:23 PM
No offense, but this just wreaks of drawing attention to oneself. It's a hockey board, big deal. It's a game, big deal. Either watch or not, but if you get to the point where you can't stand it, move on. I can't tell you the number of things I've outgrown, from shoes, clothes, to tv shows.

I always enjoy the interaction on here, but I can't say Eye's departure has any real significance. I think I would have respected it more if he would have slowly faded away, but hey that's me.

In 10 years, we'll probably all be talking about how there are too many goals in the game, and defense has turned into nothing more than a joke. Trends go up and down as do cycles, find what you like where you like and enjoy it.

I myself enjoy following a sports team, hockey has been my first and only sports passion. I enjoy the business and the sport of it, regardless of the score.

If you are unhappy with it, perhaps you are putting too much importance on it, and not enough importance on the rest of your life.

XX
10-15-2003, 02:22 PM
The Coyotes are winning - reason number 1 Eye is leaving

your opinion will be missed, more so by some than others.

CoyoteBaloney
10-15-2003, 04:16 PM
No offense, but this just wreaks of drawing attention to oneself. It's a hockey board, big deal. It's a game, big deal. Either watch or not, but if you get to the point where you can't stand it, move on. I can't tell you the number of things I've outgrown, from shoes, clothes, to tv shows.

I always enjoy the interaction on here, but I can't say Eye's departure has any real significance. I think I would have respected it more if he would have slowly faded away, but hey that's me.

In 10 years, we'll probably all be talking about how there are too many goals in the game, and defense has turned into nothing more than a joke. Trends go up and down as do cycles, find what you like where you like and enjoy it.

I myself enjoy following a sports team, hockey has been my first and only sports passion. I enjoy the business and the sport of it, regardless of the score.

If you are unhappy with it, perhaps you are putting too much importance on it, and not enough importance on the rest of your life.
Great post. I remmeber it was about 15 years ago fans were talking about how when they remember in the early 1970s that 20 goals in a season meant you were a good scorer in the NHL instead of guys like Dave Semenko who were scoring 20+ goals because he was protecting Wayne Gretzky and benefited from being on his line. Now it has come full circle and once again 20 goals means you have had a very good season.

Hordichuk_24, my feelings would be the same when you announce you are leaving. No offense, you are most likely a great guy but our differing views on how fighting is hockey is ... well, let's just say well known. Frankly, I think it is the permitance, acceptance and glorification of fighting in the NHL that is my number reason for not liking the NHL.

BTW, considering your view on fighting what league will you switch to? eye said he is not going to stop being a hockey fan, but rather just an NHL fan. He is going to start being an NCAA fan. They do not tolerate fighting in the NHL. So, what league will you be a fan of if you leave the NHL?

ulf
10-15-2003, 04:28 PM
the nhl game is not that exciting, hasn't been for some time. but that won't stop me from being a fan of the phx coyotes. the excitement to me is the overall pkge it gives me and the playoffs.

burning bridges like you seem to want to do eye is more of an expression of your frustration..me thinks.

i read the bobby smith idea and it's excellant,change comes slow in billion dollar businesses.

keep your opinions coming eye they are a good read even when your reaching to make your point.

Hordichuk_24
10-15-2003, 08:31 PM
Hordichuk_24, my feelings would be the same when you announce you are leaving. No offense, you are most likely a great guy but our differing views on how fighting is hockey is ... well, let's just say well known. Frankly, I think it is the permitance, acceptance and glorification of fighting in the NHL that is my number reason for not liking the NHL.

I was well aware of that Tony. I still do enjoy hockey and I will really miss the sport. And just to clarify, I am not leaving JUST because of the fighting issue. I just miss the 70's and 80's. The game lacks the passion, emotion, intensity, and even the hatred. I miss that. I miss the old rivalries. The "energy" that used to exist in the arenas. I always hoped it would come back into the game, but I have now realized that it never will. I will probably still watch games when I am around and there isn't anything else on. But I have lost a lot of my will and desire over the years. Maybe someday my dreams will come true.

Koytez7_28
10-15-2003, 09:03 PM
think what it comes down to is that people these days are never happy with what they got,they're always wanting something more.

Just my opinion.

www.geocities.com/koytez7_28

Hordichuk_24
10-15-2003, 09:35 PM
BTW, considering your view on fighting what league will you switch to? eye said he is not going to stop being a hockey fan, but rather just an NHL fan. He is going to start being an NCAA fan. They do not tolerate fighting in the NHL. So, what league will you be a fan of if you leave the NHL?

I missed the second part of your question there. To be honest, I don't have any specific league "lined up" to follow. I have always been a big NFL fan and I am a huge Red Sox fan. So that'll get me through for the time being. I might consider giving the WHA a shot. Personally I enjoy watching the minor leagues. I might just end up moving back to New England so I can watch either the Falcons, Bruins, Pirates, Monarchs, or the Loch Monsters. We'll just see what happens. I am really hoping something will change in the NHL and I can just focus on that though.

Le Golie
10-16-2003, 01:35 AM
If the NHL community is losing a fan who can't appreciate strategy or defence, complains about reffing, enjoys amateurs more than world class talents and can't concentrate on a game for 2 hours, maybe it's a better community anyway.

CoyoteBaloney
10-16-2003, 01:48 AM
think what it comes down to is that people these days are never happy with what they got,they're always wanting something more.

Just my opinion.

www.geocities.com/koytez7_28
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Let's face it, in our youth we had next to no pressures or concerns other than our sports teams. As adults are lives change. We have bills to pay, families to care for, relatives to bury ... has the passion really left the game or have we lost our passion by becoming responsible people? I see that the game has changed. I remember when the NHL had 16 of 21 teams in the playoffs. Now you have 16 of 30 teams making the playoffs. Now your team has to be an elite team that gets a lot of breaks if it is to win the Cup. The teams dont play each other as often. The league has expanded so now there are 2 more teams in California, Arizona, Texas, Florida and North Carolina then in all of Canada. Players are from all over the place ... Canada, USA, Sweden, Finmland, Czech Republic, Russia, Poland, Germany ... no doubt that the game has changed ... no doubt that we have changed as well and hoping the game to remain the same is just not going to happen.

eye
10-16-2003, 06:02 AM
If the NHL community is losing a fan who can't appreciate strategy or defence, complains about reffing, enjoys amateurs more than world class talents and can't concentrate on a game for 2 hours, maybe it's a better community anyway.

You are appropriately named Don Cherry. You share the same outdated and narrow minded views as he does. Only thing if you listen to Don he has many complaints about the state of hockey as well. Maybe you need a name change.

eye
10-16-2003, 06:20 AM
If I was your #1 reason for no longer being an NHL fan you never were one to begin with. :teach:

CT, I have forgotten more about the NHL than you will ever know. The more you speak the more I realize that you don't truly understand the game of hockey and it likely that you have never played or coached the game, hence, you don't realize how every player on every roster appreciates having a Hordy or a Nazorov or others on the roster to stick up for them. It makes everyone play more brave, with more passion and without fear. The reason I never watched last night and will refuse to watch anymore NHL hockey is to make a statement. If more fans would join me the leaders and owners would be forced to implement changes for the betterment of the game and consider the fans for a change. If you don't mind paying big bucks to watch games that average about 4 goals a game total with this boring trapping illegal defense first mentality then go for it. I understand the pleasure and fun of supporting a team to win but this goes beyond that. I have always asked that the NHL and the Coyotes raise the bar. I want exciting hockey and the Coyotes to win the Cup not just one of the two. If I can only have one I take the excitement over the Cup. I also disagree that this lack of offense is cyclical if that's the right word unless major changes such as Bobby Smith's proposal are considered as we are in an era of players being too big, fast, strong aided by video analysis for the 85 by 200' rink they now play on. Stars have been turned into checkers first, offense second. Nothing will change unless fans speak up. Put your money where your mouth is. I have written Bettman about concerns. Have you ever taken the time to express your feelings on how the game can be improved. I believe that if you don't take the time to point out what ails you, then don't complain, it's that simple. The difference between going to see the Golden Gophers play for less than $20 and going to see the Wild play for $50 and up is immense. The Gophers play with speed and passion every shift all year long. They are off to a slow start this year but at least the NCAA allows the stars to be stars. Go ahead and have your last word as you always like to have but trust me your opinion means very little to me.

eye
10-16-2003, 06:25 AM

Look at me, look at me, EYE is speaking up. What a rediculous statement GoCoyotes. Nobody knows who I am so how does this draw attention to me. If you don't share my frustration with the NHL game, fine but don't make it sound like I'm lobbying for votes in an election or something. This is all about my passion for hockey and my hope that someday we will again be entertained by the game the way we were only 10-15 years ago.

CoyoteBaloney
10-16-2003, 07:40 AM
CT, I have forgotten more about the NHL than you will ever know.
I highly doubt that. Every Western Canadian is jealous of Torontonians. I am sorry you feel that way. When are you actually leaving? Shouldn't it have happened after the first post of this thread? The longer you stay the more Go Coyotes, myself and Don Cherry appear to be right about you.

10-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Look at me, look at me, EYE is speaking up. What a rediculous statement GoCoyotes.

Then why are you still here replying to us all. If you are going to pull yourself away, and are truely committed to doing it without any other reasons, you would be gone.

Remember when Vlad the Impaler left? He had a final post and you never saw from him again. That's respectable. I don't mind a goodbye post, but you clearly have alterior motives that you yourself might not even be fully aware of.

To save yourself the embarrassment, I will ignore your user now.

Gwyddbwyll
10-16-2003, 08:49 AM
Vlad hasnt gone.. he is still around.

Enough of this stuff. Either people enjoy posting here or they dont.

To find your way to HF means you're a passionate hockey fan (with too much spare time). Lets keep it friendly around here otherwise the quality will just go downhill and more will follow eye out.

Dancing Chicken
10-16-2003, 09:07 AM
:handclap: Lets keep it friendly around here otherwise the quality will just go downhill and more will follow eye out. :handclap:

PhoPhan
10-16-2003, 11:36 AM

This is one of the most provincial statements I have ever heard.

ulf
10-16-2003, 01:57 PM
you don't have to watch hockey to be a fan of your favorite team...i've seen many examples of that on these very boards. :)

Dancing Chicken
10-16-2003, 02:13 PM
I only get to watch the Yotes about 14 times a year :rant: but bleed em and follow them to the end..

hbk
10-16-2003, 02:33 PM
hope you're just blowing off steam Eye because quite frankly your one of the voices that keeps my enthusiasm and optimism in check. Your criticisms of today's game are valid but I'm of the opinion that the game will not change much. Defensive systems are ingrained and the free-wheelin days of the 80's are gone and they will never return. You can widen the rinks, increase the size of the goal, and allow the banana curve back in the game but teams have learnt to limit offensive chances and pushed shots to low percentage scoring areas. It's a smarter game today than it was a decade ago.

On a personal note I thoroughly enjoyed the St.Louis game against Phoenix. It was entertaining but it lacked scoring. I didn't mind because I was watching the individual performances and paying less attention to the flow of the game. I cheered every turnover and cringed every time the Blues gained the offensive zone. Maybe I'm just getting accustomed to this style of game. I acknowledge though that like soccer it is unlikely that this style of game attracts new fans.

PhoPhan
10-16-2003, 03:49 PM
you don't have to watch hockey to be a fan of your favorite team...i've seen many examples of that on these very boards. :)

I will likely see about 3 Coyotes regular season games this year. However, I listen to most of the games on internet radio, and find it wildly entertaining. I get to use my imagination to decide how exciting the games are.

ulf
10-16-2003, 04:26 PM
i'm lucky to see the yotes play 5 times a year on the t.v....not because i don't have access to many more games than that but because voices like kurt kielback's made the game more exciting than it probably was.

CFABoy
10-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Im a Nucks fan and I don't see the problem as much - last game against detroit, the shots were 39-36 or something. They've always played a run and gun style of game which is good and bad with defense sometimes falling by the way side. Their d is always jumping up on the play and pinching at the blueline and we always have aggressive forechecking. The Yotes are still rebuilding and will get there in a year or two...just gotta be patient! :yo: