Should we make a pitch for Comrie?

Pensfan66
10-15-2003, 06:02 AM
With Mike Comrie still locked or held out in Edmonton maybe we should put a package together for him. He would be an ideal 2nd line center. With that we could move Fata to RW. How would good would Malone Comrie Fata look? It would give us an instant upgrade at center and some badly needed scoring punch for our 2nd line. At this point I would give up gladly give up Endicott or maybe Rozival and a 4th for him.

Ric Flair
10-15-2003, 06:33 AM
Me thinks it would take more than Endicott and Rozy.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-15-2003, 06:33 AM
But remember, he probably wants to much. At this point the penguins are trying to lose salary (Straka, maybe?) not gain it, especially if Fleury plays the whole season.

Koltsov71
10-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Wouldn't make any sense.

Evilo
10-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Give up too much for a guy that would cost too much.
To sum up :
Too much.

The Tang
10-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Give up too much for a guy that would cost too much.
To sum up :
Too much.
i think thats a good summation'

Jacob
10-15-2003, 10:44 AM
I don't see why we wouldn't at least attempt to crunch some numbers. I think the Penguins should make exceptions when it comes to high salaries for extremely young and talented guys. Comrie fits that mold. He could be that offensive guy to build around for the future.

PensFan68
10-15-2003, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't mind them looking to see what it would take, but I don't see it happening. I'm sure they'd be looking for one of our top young d-men or a 1st round pick to start with. I think they'd be asking too much, and we most likely couldn't afford him anyway.

Wingboy2999
10-15-2003, 02:18 PM
My point exactly...i mean how do the pens intend to make money? Pray and hope that a player emerges to become the next Kovalev, Jagr, or Mario? Not likely. We need a guy that is pretty known or at least has the capability to get the fans going. Comrie put up some good numbers and i think he's worth a very long look at from our staff.

We have Orpik and Whitney, how much does it hurt us to give up one of the many talented defensemen to get a talented center back in return?

Well, would the Pens really want to give up thier young d-men? Seems to me like they are going towards a more defensive future then that of an offensive one. Building a nice D core around MA Fluery.

But if you were to give up one, which one would you give up?

FacelessButcher
10-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Lets see I think these r fair but many say Comrie will fetch considerably less we can keep Comrie as long as we like is Lowes argument and wait till someone is willing to pay the price that is fair market value-

-Comrie for Orpik or Whitney(I'd guess 1 million in additional salary)

-Comrie,4th pick for Beech,Welch(I'd guess 700,000 extra in salary)

-Chimera,5th pick for Lupaschuk, 3rd pick(I'd guess 100,000 extra in salary)

-2nd pick for Beech

I can't see us trading unless u unload Straka, or Lemieux takes a pay cut because by all means u will take salary which I can't see u doing by past conversations.

DJ Spinoza
10-15-2003, 04:28 PM
We would have to give up young players for him, and fairly good ones.

Straka can't be included with them (just to point this out), because that would be virtually the same as them signing Comrie.

I don't like the idea of moving Welch, Whitney, or Orpik for another smallish soft forward (although he is proven), but if they could move a few of our many young forwards for him, I'd probably be for it.

I don't think anything will transpire, but it's fun to guess anyways.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-15-2003, 05:51 PM
I am VERY greedy and I don't want to give up Welch, Whitney and Orpik for anything. The chance of having 3 stud defencemen all at least 6'3'' (I've heard Orpik is anywhere from 6'2'' 224 to 6'3'' 230) makes me froth at the mouth! :D

PensFan68
10-15-2003, 05:54 PM
I agree. I don't want to see those 3 go anywhere, Welch being the guy I want to stay the most (don't know why, just really like him).

AEKaki
10-16-2003, 10:37 AM
I see the Oilers (and Oilers fans) being interested in an offensive minded defenceman, and Alberta boy, Ross Lupaschuk.

FacelessButcher ,
What about:

Kris Beech (or Milan Kraft)
Ross Lupaschuk
Vancouver's 2nd pick
for
Mike Comrie
Oilers' 1st pick

propose it in your Oilers' messageboard.
I suppose that this is fair value...

jmelm
10-16-2003, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=FacelessButcher]Lets see I think these r fair but many say Comrie will fetch considerably less we can keep Comrie as long as we like is Lowes argument and wait till someone is willing to pay the price that is fair market value-

-Comrie for Orpik or Whitney(I'd guess 1 million in additional salary)

-Comrie,4th pick for Beech,Welch(I'd guess 700,000 extra in salary)

QUOTE]

I would not trade Welch straight up for Comrie.

In fact, I'm not sure who I'd give Welch up for.

PensFan68
10-16-2003, 02:04 PM
I see the Oilers (and Oilers fans) being interested in an offensive minded defenceman, and Alberta boy, Ross Lupaschuk.

FacelessButcher ,
What about:

Ross Lupaschuk
Vancouver's 2nd pick
for
Mike Comrie
Oilers' 1st pick

I don't see the Oilers jumping at that deal. Yes, Lupaschuk, Kraft, and Beech could all become something special, but thus far they have shown nothing. They didn't even make the team(the only reason Kraft did is we didn't want to lose him on waivers). And adding their first rounder to it makes it even more less likely(IMO).

Chayos
10-16-2003, 02:29 PM
I don't see the Oilers jumping at that deal. Yes, Lupaschuk, Kraft, and Beech could all become something special, but thus far they have shown nothing. They didn't even make the team(the only reason Kraft did is we didn't want to lose him on waivers). And adding their first rounder to it makes it even more less likely(IMO).

From an oiler standpoint we would need to ACTUALLY get something in return for comrie! gasp

The proposals above do not come close to getting it done.

The reality is the player PIT would get in Comrie would instantly be your 2nd best player and at a reasonable cost in today's NHL(probaby 2-2.5 mill per season) To get someone who is 23 years old and has the talent Comrie does you have to give up something of value, and not prospects who could turn into this sort of player.

I think a workable deal would be Comrie and a 2nd for Beech and orpick.

The oil get a d-man who could step in and a big center that could pan out for them. The Pens get a player who will get55-75 points for the next 10 years or so and a nice draft pick to even it out.

KungFuPenguin
10-16-2003, 03:47 PM
Heart and attitude notwithstanding, I doubt Comrie would be as effective a center in the east. His lack of size would become too big a factor, I believe.

I'd vote against giving up any of our blue-chippers for Comrie.

FacelessButcher
10-16-2003, 05:05 PM

FacelessButcher ,
What about:

Ross Lupaschuk
Vancouver's 2nd pick
for
Mike Comrie
Oilers' 1st pick

I would not do it I see Comrie being worth more than Beech(never really proved anything almost bust)+Lupaschuk(struggles to be a 6th d-man on a weak d team but if he can round out his game he will be good)
and of course our 1st pick greater than Van 2nd pick.

Comrie for Beech,Lupaschuk+3rd pick is pretty fair but as KungFuPenguin said we really do want one of your blue chip defense prospects(1st pick would work too) and all deals for Comrie should include one, u can ask for more from us and try to balance it out to your needs but we want one of Welch,Orpik, or Whitney

DJ Spinoza
10-17-2003, 10:55 AM
I would not do it I see Comrie being worth more than Beech(never really proved anything almost bust)+Lupaschuk(struggles to be a 6th d-man on a weak d team but if he can round out his game he will be good)
and of course our 1st pick greater than Van 2nd pick.

Comrie for Beech,Lupaschuk+3rd pick is pretty fair but as KungFuPenguin said we really do want one of your blue chip defense prospects(1st pick would work too) and all deals for Comrie should include one, u can ask for more from us and try to balance it out to your needs but we want one of Welch,Orpik, or Whitney

I agree with you totall from a Pens fans perspective.

It would likely take one of those three as I said, and I don't feel it is worth trading them. Ben Eaves is a player in the same mold as Comrie, and anyways good defensemen are a tough find.

BTW, to give credit...I stole the Ben Eaves/Comrie thing from Servo.:D

AEKaki
10-17-2003, 02:38 PM
Ok then,
Comrie for Beech, Lupaschuk + 3rd
it is.

If I was CP and saw Comrie still available at the end of the year for this price, I would do it because he will get a star in the following Draft.
We might even trade Straka at the end of the year for a good young player (I really like Simon Gagne!!!!!!!!). And we will have an unstoppable team next year with Whitney-Welch-Fleury ready to go for good with the rest of the team.

DJ Spinoza
10-17-2003, 02:53 PM
The last proposal is a little better.

I just don't know how much other teams would want Beech.:teach:

AEKaki
10-17-2003, 06:26 PM
Then you wake up and see Holzinger playing center still....

Dammit eh?

Not really.
I would see the likes of Sivek and Surovy and Kostopolous in the team.

We have so many prospects that makes us able to do this.
I honestly like Sivek more then Beech, we loose Lupaschuk who has Orpik, Welch and Whitney to beat and we loose a 3rd round pick for a young star in Comrie.

Holzinger plays a specific role in the Penguins.
He's on for a reason. To play when he's needed (to make mistakes :p )
There's no way we'll see him playing over Surovy, Sivek.
Kostopoulos will also find himself in the team one day.
I hope it's soon. He's a workhorse.

Lines after trade:

Lemieux - Straka - Koltsov
Fata - Comrie - Morozov
Abid - Kraft - Malone
Murley - Eastwood - Buchberger

I like those 2 first lines.

jmelm
10-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Ok then,
Comrie for Beech, Lupaschuk + 3rd
it is.

If I was CP and saw Comrie still available at the end of the year for this price, I would do it because he will get a star in the following Draft.
We might even trade Straka at the end of the year for a good young player (I really like Simon Gagne!!!!!!!!). And we will have an unstoppable team next year with Whitney-Welch-Fleury ready to go for good with the rest of the team.

Neither Whitney nor Welch will be in the NHL next year. Both will probably finish their 4 years, and will likely need a season in the AHL first. To say we'll be unstoppable next year is just wrong.

We'll, we might be unstoppable when it comes to losing...

Jacob
10-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Whitney will definitely turn pro after this year. I guarantee it.

AEKaki
10-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Whitney will definitely turn pro after this year. I guarantee it.

I have that feeling too Jacobv.

I wasn't saying that our team will be unstoppable, it will become alot better with these young stars.

Jacob
10-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Well, nothing is set in stone. A couple years ago we (at least I) thought that with Kraft, Beech and Morozov, we were going to have one of the best offenses in the league.