What does Gretzky mean to you?

10-15-2003, 07:23 AM
After the article in the paper on him this morning, I began to think what Gretzky really means to the team, and to the fans.

What do you think Gretzky means to the team, and what does he mean to you regarding the team?

Do you think he should be at the home games, on the road as a part of management?

Do you think he should be the PR person for the Coyotes?

Or is he just a partial owner of the team, as visible or invisible as many of the owners in the league.

XX
10-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Hes a visible owner and the symbol of management here.

Who wouldnt want to sign and play for the great one?

That being said, I wish he had more confidence in the coyotes. He comes off as a guy who wants out but wont really say anything.

Im content with what hes done so far, and the people he has hired. The new test will be a better coach (if we bomb the season)

LT
10-15-2003, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure what people expect? I too question some of the trades made, why not get more prospects for what they've sent away but not always do we know the full story.

There are 2 ways of rebuilding this team, either you buy free agents, in this case there is only one for sure, your payroll goes up, or you build through the draft. The problem with the latter is it takes time, in which many of the media members don't seem to give a damn about. If there is one thing I could criticize him on is his original direction, why go with Lemieux and pay him so much, then go after Amonte and pay him a bundle if in fact your goal is to rebuild? I really would like an answer to that.

As far as the time he spends, I have no problem with that. He's not the coach, nor the GM. Yes he could be around a little more but I think you have to let your people run the team.

You can't compare his other ventures to this one. The NHL is a unique entity and the Coyotes needed a major overhaul. I say give him some time, judge him in a couple few years, not now. That doesn't mean we can't be frutrated because believe me, I'll be yelling at some point this season, I may even call him an idiot.

Devils Advocate
10-16-2003, 10:22 AM
After the article in the paper on him this morning, I began to think what Gretzky really means to the team, and to the fans.

1a) What do you think Gretzky means to the team, and 1b) what does he mean to you regarding the team?

2) Do you think he should be at the home games, on the road as a part of management?

3) Do you think he should be the PR person for the Coyotes?

4) Or is he just a partial owner of the team, as visible or invisible as many of the owners in the league.

1a - instant credability to the Franchise, brings class, attracts players who normally wouldn't be interested in Phoenix, and stability. 1b) He provides optimism that the Coyotes will be an elite franchise.

2) I think he should be wherever he thinks he should be. When he said he can only be in 1 place at a time, I believe him. I don't think he is just sitting at home on his couch lying around. I think he probably has one of the busiest schedules of anybody on the face of the earth. Also, I don't begrudge him one bit for any business/pleasure he chooses to be involved with in his homeland in Canada.

3) NO. He has never been a PR person. He has always led by example. That said, I think when the situation warrants it, he knows when to speak up. I think his comments in the Olympics regarding the world against Canada is a perfect example of this.

4) He is unlike any other owner in this league. He seems to be a target for media folks who are trying to make a name for themselves.

IMO, Wayne Gretzky is one of the classiest people in the world (not just the sports world) & arguably the best thing that ever happened to the sport of Hockey.

PhoPhan
10-16-2003, 10:26 AM
If there is one thing I could criticize him on is his original direction, why go with Lemieux and pay him so much, then go after Amonte and pay him a bundle if in fact your goal is to rebuild? I really would like an answer to that.

My answer to this is that while it takes a lot of patience to build a team, there is not a huge (patient) fan base in Phoenix yet. Hockey is new to Arizona. The team is trying to build a team for the future and at the same time put a product on the ice that will draw attention to the team. Whether good or was the end result, signing Amonte drew a lot of attention to this team, and all of it was optimistic.